/STG/ - Star Trek General

Nova Edition

previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

jgray-sfb.com/shipyard.html
sto.gamepedia.com/Jupiter_Class_Carrier
youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8
sto.gamepedia.com/The_Cooperative
treknews.net/2017/02/11/first-look-star-trek-discovery-klingons/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Anyone know anywhere I can download SSD books for SFB? I've got a game with my Tholians coming up next week, and I really can't find the box with all my R modules in.

I don't play SFB but is this what you're looking for?

jgray-sfb.com/shipyard.html

Beep beep, superior ship coming through.

The only true Warbird, tbphwy.

So what ship do you want to end up on? Where would you want to end up, in the Star Trek universe.

Excelssior.

Assuming the purported Borg war for which it was reactivated never comes, a formerly mothballed Enterprise class. A century later and it's still the most graceful ship in the fleet.

One designed and built after the Dominion War. I would prefer to work on a ship where the designers were more concerned with the crew surviving over crew comfort. I'm old fashioned like that.

Ha ha, it's time for Feddie Birds of Prey!

Holy shit, someone actually made a new thread before the old one died?
That has to be a first for us.

Defiant class

Anyone happen to know how to derive point costs for ACTA:SF?

It's only been 3 threads user. It just so happens that the previous ones weren't made by me.

Enterprise Class?

Constitution Refit. Well, technically not even that since the old Constitution had at least 2 refits already by that point.

I think it's assumed that several ships were build keel-up to the new standard set by Enterprise's refit, at least until the Excelsior finally proved itself as a successor vessel. There's not really anything else that fills the heavy cruiser role that we know of officially or even semi-officially in that time span either so there's certainly a logic to it.

Miranda's are only slightly smaller and nearly the same weapons fit, that's pretty heavy cruisery to me.

>Miranda
>get murdered in the vacuum of space by some random happenstance
>comfy as fuck

One thing that bugs me about that model is it's nacelles. Why are upper sections grey?

I guess they could count but they don't really seem fit for the same deep space exploration role of the Constitutions.

The Miranda is more of a multi-mission platform than a dedicated cruiser.

I forgot the retards come out to play on weekends.

>not parking yourself in front of the gate to handle spawns
You're just as much at fault. Don't queue if you're not willing to carry retards.

I'd prefer to stay on earth honestly. But if I have to be on a Starfleet ship, I'd want something big like a Galaxy or Sovereign. Where the captain won't know my name.

Assuming plot armor applies and I'm not killed in the initial Caretaker shenanigans? Voyager.

Otherwise I'd like a post-Dominion War Excelsior class posting.
>classy as fuck
>modern gear and accommodations if we go by the Hood, Lakota, and Malinche from DS9, not even counting post-Endgame powerups
>get to meet admirals and see much of the federation

Is the new fed carrier in STO any good i have my life time stipend saved up from when i stopped playing a year ago and i thought about getting it?

Well, it's the only Feddie carrier in existence (the flying cat dig doesn't count) and it has frigate pets available.
So if you like carriers, then might as well go for it.
I'll just dig up its stats for you first.

sto.gamepedia.com/Jupiter_Class_Carrier

Gotta say, the Hestia is fun if only for the kitbashing possibilities.

>flying cat dig
?

meant to say dick, dunno why my brain short circuited.

That doesn't clarify things hugely. Which Freddie ship looks like a cat dick? And why do you know what that looks like?

I hope an image clarifies things.

Oh and why do i call it cat dick specifically is because it's built by Caitians, the cat people.

Well that certainly makes more sense now.

Is there a Star Trek game that lets you build your own ship?

There's Ship Creator. But I'd hardly call that a game.

akira has great kitbash potential as well

So long as I get to create reasonably proper looking star ships in the manner of the Frankenstein Fleet I will consider it "fun" or at least as close to fun as my depression is allowing me at the moment.

There is just something oddly enticing about the story of a mad runaway Star Fleet engineer being given free run on the junk yard, lashing together an abomination of a ship and fucking around the galaxy.

Having a game or something close to a game that lets me build the ship is halfway there. I can write the story of getting banned from Argo and other misadventures later.

youtube.com/watch?v=FH8lvwXx_Y8

...eww.

Ruined it.

>Star Trek: Starship Creator

Wasn't that one of the worst 'games' ever made? (up until recent years flooded the market with more broken, awful shit than on the Atari 2600 and NES combined) And doesn't even think of running on modern systems?

Would genuinely recommend playing something like Galactic Civilisations 2 and building ships out of basically lego over that. Or one of those construction/survival games like Empyrion or Space Engineers. Or (if I can find the address) a website that has a bunch of ship parts that you can jam together in paint to make-your-own pictures.

why?

The sum of all talent in starfleet, KDF and Romulan flotilla.

Looks like it's been squished and warped in ways that just don't work, the engines look like they're mounted at a weird angle for no reason and being swept forward instead of back just ruins the lines on it.

Bumping with a fresh ship pic.

Nice, but for real, why the grey on the upper nacelle cowling

I never got why the Excelsior has that big bit of open hull on the underside. Seriously, should be used for cargo bays at least or a massive hangar.

I have no fucking clue.
I actually changed the hull materials to brighter white ones that didn't seem to have any grey shit on them, i also turned off any and all patterns on the hull.

Beats me, maybe it was left there in case any later refit added some modular parts there.

Not quite, thanks anyway. Fortunately, I've found them!

This just looks like someone flattened a Miranda.

>onboard miranda class
>just finished thwarting Nak'hul plot to fuck up the past/present, again
>Temporal agent who helped us is demonstrating the timeywimey magic that can be done even with present day technology
>Turns out they're a fucking temporal recruit, incompetent as shit because the TIC is desperate for new agents
>Instead of being quantum entangled with his own ship, we get linked to some shitty plastic model at the Federation ASDB
>model gets knocked off table
>ship suddenly inverts itself, inertial dampeners struggle to compensate
>model gets stood on
>all hands lost

memeing aside, it DOES look like actual ass

Because it looks cool. But seriously it could be used as a mount point for external cargo modules in cases where capacity trumps speed.

I always thought it was an acilliary shuttle bay or weapons array.

What are Hugh and his buddies up to these days? We haven't we seen them in anything?

Probably got Janewayed, their bodies left to rot on some unnamed rock.

In STO the form a separate Borg nation, called the cooperative, that has pretty nebulous and arbitrary goals.

I thought the cooperative was originally the group that tried to fugg Chakotay?

Your first interaction with them, during the first of those infuriating "go patrol 4 random systems" has you come face to face with Hugh and that a-typical borg ship(pic related). So I presume they were eventually found and incorporated.

I wonder if they could have actually managed to get some help from the Feds. I mean, they were caused by Star Fleet. But then Star Fleet also helped fix their shit. Though wrecked their one ship in the process. Seems like the kinda thing where they'd really want an envoy there to keep an eye on them and hopefully help them to not go batshit insane. Hell for all we know Star Fleet could have really quickly refined it's de-assimilation practices in 'fixing' the borg. If they wanted it anyway.

I'll be damned, I guess he does show up there. I haven't run into him yet.
sto.gamepedia.com/The_Cooperative

It's not a major story element, to be fair

Well, what the fuck would you do? If you were just regular joe blow from the 24th century and then you were abducted by aliens and turned into a cyborg against your will. Then later you as a group got your individual selves back. What you have become is reviled by other races, by this point you know you can't go back o who you were, and you have insanely advanced knowledge and tech at your finger tips. What would you do, /stg/?

Take over a space station and fill it with drones and traps so I can peterpan across a lake of plasma while Federation and KDF assault teams play timed push-button mini-games with the shield generators in the room.

Just saw this posted in the /co/ trek thread.
>TFW I'm really REALLY annoyed by this development. If you don't why read the title of the picture. WHY?! why would they do that you don't fuck with an iconic look you have made since the first Star Trek movie and reinforced ever since. FUCK NUTREK I HATE THEIR SHIT!

>don't look like TOS klinks
>don't look like 1979-2004 klinks
>don't even look like JJTrek klinks
RIP in pieces Star Trek 1966-2017

What the fuck? This better be a fucking trick.

Yeah, I call bullshit.

It does look like they're from STD. I have my doubts about them being Klingons. The evidence is shaky at best.
treknews.net/2017/02/11/first-look-star-trek-discovery-klingons/

Wait, what would they look like with hair?

My response

Assimilate cute puppers to be cyborg's best friend

Why the fuck does everybody want to redesign the Klingons. Besides the Vulcans theyre the most iconic Trek species. You want them to be instantly recognisable.

Put on a skin-tight body suit and tsundere my way through the neophyte crew of a Starfleet science vessel, obviously.

Apparently the dude that posted the picture said later that those aren't actually Klingons.

>My Little Borg Drone Can't Be This Busty
An anime version of Voyager would honestly have been a lot more forgiveable.

Would certainly save on some of the production costs

>Anime Trek
Can't wait for the episode where a transporter malfunction turns all the male members of the away team into girls.

I'm honestly surprised that never happened in a regular Star Trek episode. We even had a "the adults are children now, watch their silly hijinks as they save the day!" episode.

Genderswapping is (rightly) a fairly uncommon thing in western sci-fi/animation.

We had Quark with a sex change. That was a horrific enough episode.

Never forgetti

That being said, it's kind of a war machine of its time. Sometimes it's classified as a destroyer, which makes sense: fore and aft torpeedos, phaser cannons, and almost as many phaser banks as a Connie.

Send the Connie out to find new things, study and protect what you have with Starfleet's "light cruiser" weapons platform saucer.

Compared to to the Connie, the Miranda is a weapons platform.

Are any of these shitty-looking phone games worth playing?

Do Modiphius' playtest rules not include character generation?

As it stands, no, I haven't seen any chargen.

We need more Modiphius leaks. There has to be more out by now.

Well I confess to feeling a little betrayed, then, by the anons who recommended it to me as the best current option for running a Star Trek RPG.

An intrepid class. Voyager preferably. its sleek as hell. Honestly, i would have loved to see a nuBSG style voyager.. where shit matters and the ship slowly gets ground down and repaired with local materials and stuff.

I've taken a liking to my stealth space squid. Zooming around cloaked, collecting intel on the baddies, conducting hit & runs behind enemy lines.

Can't go wrong with the classics.

Too bad the only hull materials you can get without paying range from mid range gray to near black, without the white of the films.

Doesn't hurt that the DPS stands up to nearly anything in the game.

>paying
>in the Federation

I bought my Connie used from a Mirror universe Ferengi. It was a literal fire sale.

I bought it because I liked the idea of the intel ships. I hated the way it looked then, but now it's one of my favorite parts.

I always liked it better with the Phantom nacelles myself.

You fucking mongs, this is Veeky Forums not /v/. The question was which ship you'd want to be on in the Trek universe, not which space pixels you forked over your daddy's credit card to pay for.