HIPSTER MEMESWORD POWERRANKING:

>babby's first
Katana
>I only like things that I don't see in movies
Khopesh (actualy an axe)
>I only like things that are too ugly for other people to like them
Falcata (aka the flaccid sword)
>DUDE AZTECS LMAO
macuahuitl (bonus hipster points if you know how to pronounce the "tl")
>DUDE IRRELEVANT CULTURE LMAO
maori shark teeth sword

>Forgetting about rabid anti-weeb's grosse messer

I see the butthurt from the Khopesh thread has spilled over.

You can go back to /b/ now.

I wanted to say this early enough in the thread for he unique poster count to show this isn't pathetic samefag gladhanding

THIS IS THE MOST ACCURATE ASSESSMENT OF Veeky Forums EVER THEOWN IN YOUR FAT, CHEETO-DUSTED FUCKING FACES

EAT IT

EAT ITTTTT

Not inaccurate, but you should say something how swords are shit tier and axes are where it's at.

>thinks unique poster count actually matters in an age where IP spoofing is a common thing.

Someone is salty about being wrong in the kopesh thread

>macuahuitlfags
Fuck are these guys ever unbarable
>b-but muh horse decapitations
Prove it you fucking mooks

You want a real hipster swords? Pata. Estoc. Urumi. Seax. Any straight oriental sword. Scottish broadsword. Backswords. Literally any African sword. Khanda.

>Literally any African sword.
Except most hipsters have probably never even heard of or know any aside from the Shotel, considering they almost never do their own research. And even they Shotel they probably wouldn't know is African since they'd only know it from Dark Souls

Fuck shields.

Jian master race

I like how the chinese manage to take like, the simplest fucking sword design and use it in the most arbitrarily complicated manner possible.

Some martial arts are pretty fucking dumb.

WE

The nice thing about this is that you minimize the amount of time you have to hold it in battle by chucking it directly at the enemy. Then it's their problem.

WUZ

>Shotel
I thought "wtf why would a hipster even know what a shotel is" but then I realized that it's probably in a dark souls game.

SORDZ

that's dope as hell tho

The rare double headed khopesh in its natural habitat.

The messer, not quite a knife, not quite a sword, only exists because of a loophole

I missed the kopesh thread, but I take it the conclusion is that the kopesh is NOT an axe?

If anyone here aspires to hipsterdom with swords, you should look at INDIAN WEAPONS

I N D I A N
N
D
I
A
N

I learned of shotels from Wing Gundam because Sandrock.

Has anyone noticed how HEMAfags have become the new katana autists?

What tier are Kukris?

>I think I'm a unique individual but I'm not.

>Not liking falcatas
What are you, some kind of sewer dwarf?

The katana long since stopped being fellated, now people have to defend it from bullies all the goddamned time.

Yeah. It's a cut-happy sword, but still far from an axe.

>but I take it the conclusion is that the kopesh is NOT an axe?

Correct. While you can MAYBE make the argument that it's not a "true" sword and I'd still say you're wrong it is most certainly not an axe.

But it is used very similarly to an axe, with strong chops and the occasional hook.

Yeah I tried doing a tactical analysis on katars once and came up empty. Maybe you might know some more...

Basically, I couldn't figure out why anyone would use a punch dagger over a regular dagger. Regular daggers conceal well, have more range of motion and angles of attack, and are more sturdy than a katar. Not to mention cheaper and simpler- I'm sure every peasant in india could afford a knife.

So why did katars proliferate among the Kshatriya? Even if only for a certain era, it still got to the point where everyone carried one. Sure, some were gold engraved decorations. But most of them- not so much. Indeed, why would a "practical" unadorned katar even be created if its only purpose was jewelry? So I'm not convinced of that explanation either.

So just what the fuck do you use it for that a standard dagger (or kukri) wouldn't serve better?

This. Anti-weebs are even worse than weebs since at least weebs sometimes have some self awareness. Anti-weebs are completely oblivious to their own cringe and retardation.

what
the
fuck

>and are more sturdy than a katar

How do you know that?

First two are throwing weapons.

The first two are African throwing swords, all the weird edges are so they are more likely to hit someone with a blade. The last one isn't that unusual with the exception of the Katar.

why is there a benis on this one?

Best greataxe?

cringe isn't a noun you oblivious youtube-dwelling retard

2 and 4 are propa and orky one

noun
noun: cringe; plural noun: cringes

an act of cringing.

It is now, faggot! AHAHAHAHAHAHA get rekt

>But it is used very similarly to an axe, with strong chops and the occasional hook.

It is used in a wide variety of ways, and you're even able to fence with it.

It's a useful weapon when your opponent has a medium-sized, sturdy shield, but also wears little to no chest armor. It can smash or hook the shield out of the way, but then be easily slashed across the chest or thrusted into the soft underbelly of your foe.

Check out some of the drills posted in the khopesh thread to get a better idea.

Big throwing weapons that stick out in all directions are common in central Africa across a number of related groups. Some have dicks on them because that's just how those people roll.

it doesn't even match the way you misused it earlier

holy fucking shit dude

>no one has mentioned my waifu
It feels good to be a true patrish

And she's all for MEEEE

But user... I'm not that guy. I'm a different retard who saw the argument, got curious and googled it. Have fun arguing with the other faggot, you faggot.

Liking #5

A dagger has a full tang blade. A katar has no tang whatsoever. It is fixed into a transverse wooden frame, behind which is the fist. That same wooden frame could easily be shattered if struck from the side, and likewise if the katar blade were struck sideways it looks as though it could snap off.

Even a full metal frame (I hesitate to call it a hilt) would not provide a lot of support since it's very thin, though I guess the katar itself is wide at the base. I guess that is the essential bit in keeping it together, but I"m not convince its very sturdy.

Only 2 and maaaaybe 1 (but it sucks).

The rest look like BELTS AND ZIPS LMAO-tier fantasy design.

My guess is the biomechanics of using the katar. With a straight punching motion, you presumably impart more force versus holding a knife which requires you to bend your wrists. The keris gets around this by having pistol grip handles.

If the forward curve is going to be that gentle, you might as well have a straight sword. Same thing with backward-curving swords like sabers- you have to pronounce the curve if you want any noticeable increase in cutting power.

To be fair chinese martial arts have gotten fucked by the cultural revolution and whatnot, kind of like how Korean martial arts basically didn't exist under the Japanese occupation and only gained relevance again with the karate offshoot of Taekwondo. Wushu is just a performance art that's vaguely martially-inspired and a lot of the rest is passing down forms without proper instruction on application and never ever questioning this because of the focus on traditionalism and isolationism to preserve the "true art" that was actually lost long ago.

But then she isn't a slender little thing...

We got ourselves a motherfucking PRESCRIPTIVIST here. Look at this dipshit- still stuck in 18th century linguistic theory. It's like he doesn't even science. Mabe you should go hang out with some 1950's elementary school teachers and try and shove more Latin into English, as if that made any fucking sense. Man what a dweeb.

Kopesh is a great weapon for druids

>BELTS AND ZIPS

>literally just a falcata with some dumbo ears

No one mentioned it because it's not worth mentioning

Spear is where the true, vibrant counterculture is anyway. Zero le irony, pure working class ethic

0.5 seconds until "we have rules for a reason"

>I couldn't figure out why anyone would use a punch dagger over a regular dagger.

I would imagine because punch-daggers are used by punching the enemy, which is an instinctive and easy-to-learn form of combat compared to many other weapons (not MUCH easier, but still). Rather than have to learn an entirely new method of combat, punch-daggers amplify already existing combat arts and make them more deadly than they previously were.

I'd imagine there's a big psychological impact in the weapon too.

I mean, does that really impart more force? A hook does more damage than a jab. Swinging your arm through an arc tends to impart more force than a straight. Adding a twist through your core and all that.

>Oh shit, the enemy is attacking our camp!
>Here, let me take half a fucking hour to put on like forty goddamn belts in random places while still showing off my abs

Jesus christ, that's just ridiculous.

>LIKING a fat ugly knock-off spic kopis
Enjoy your Maritornes, I'm fucking the slender moor.

it's literally a fantasy MMO avatar character

It's not meant to be a "real" design at least, it's from an in-universe MMORPG.

WHY DOESN'T MY ANIMUUU REALISM

AAAARGH

Design still sucks tho

>Hister memesword thread
>No body mentioned the gladius or the rapier

He has neither abs nor a belly button.

I loved his third job for how pure EDGE it was, and then we got buttplates in his last job, god I'll never get over that.

Nobody mentioned the longsword either.

They're not hipster.

>gladius
>rapier
>hipster
You best be baiting, these are extremely plebeia at this point.

I occasionally ask what kind of dagger people are carrying when they have one, but they usually just shrug. Still waiting for the player that tells me he's got a bollock, you would think that they would be popular among Veeky Forums types, but apparently there are no dagger hipsters just yet.

>I mean, does that really impart more force?

It does impart that force in a much tighter arc, though. It's very difficult to block a punch-dagger at close range because it has much tighter arcs than most other weapons, and punching somebody can be a straight-line movement directly outwards.

I'm pretty sure a major part of it was also just cultural preference. Using a punch-dagger takes a great deal of skill, therefore the various warrior cultures of India/Pakistan may have used them to show off how talented they were.

*plebeian

feminine hands wouldn't make it past a splinter

Aaaaand here's the pleb who is fine with people saying shit like "irregardless".

Also, FYI the 1950s are not the 18th century, nor was Latin influence ever an element in the example being discussed.

That's pretty obvious guys.

I was just saying that even for an Anime design, it's ridiculous.

Maybe it's because a lot of the protective gear I wear for work has leather straps, and all those straps take like twenty minutes to fit and form correctly, so I personally know how much of an absolute bitch that would be to deal with.

My true love is the cinquedea and I'm pretty sure that's as hipster as you get.

Although you faggots need to understand that the real hipsterdom lies FAR outside swords.

Ahlspiess, lucerne, partisan -- look to the polearms.
Sad.

Gladius is for Romaboos banging on about it being one of the greatest infantry weapons of all time.

Rapiers were swagger sticks for 16th century gentlemen, but still somehow end up in most shitty generic fantasy settings. If you wanted to go more hipster then the 1700's smallsword would probably be the way to go. If you want to go full weaponfag (armchair or otherwise) the the basket-hilted broadsword will get dicks twitching.

I like flyssa knives, personally.

Kris. Thanks Civ 5 for making a useless sword a meme.

Man, how quick do you think full harness was to put on?

At least full harness had actual metal plates to fit properly, and taking extended time to fit it correctly was worth the effort.

That's literally just BELTS FOR THE BELT GOD! STRAPS FOR THE STRAP THRONE!

The Kris was useful for making really, really jagged cuts in a person, and therefore being very hard to heal properly.

Their biggest flaw, imo, is that it's an absolute bitch and a half to maintain that edge, so most people simply didn't.

Gtfo weeb

>That's literally just BELTS FOR THE BELT GOD! STRAPS FOR THE STRAP THRONE!
Yes. And?

It looks bad, and THAT is why it is bad. Because it's meant to look good.
>The Kris was useful for making really, really jagged cuts in a person, and therefore being very hard to heal properly.
How exactly is that useful? Real life isn't a videogame. You try and kill the person, and how long it takes for them to heal isn't particularly important when they're dead.

That's only true here. Trust me; outside the weebs are completely oblivious.

However they are also in the minority. Go on Reddit, and any post which so much as mentions a katana will be filled with faggots alternately yelling "SHITTY NIP IRON BROKEN OVER A THOUSAND TIMES" and "END HIM RIGHTLY".

Really, no Yataghan? Fuck off normie.

Being hard to heal properly usually translates to, in pre-modern medicine times, to "get infected and fucking die". Infection from wounds was a huge danger in ancient, medieval and early modern times.

In past centuries, when medical tech was shaky at best and flat out detrimental at it's worst, making a cut that tears flesh internally and damages multiple organs is one of the best ways to assure that the person you just stabbed is going to die, even if it isn't as an immediate result of, ya know, being stabbed.

Nobody is going to take a kris out to war. They're going to take it to an assassination.

You two, fight over her.

shitty nippoloids
arrip rong

Which has nothing to do with anything.
That's what I guessed.

So how come tearing would matter? Were these the (actual) assassin-style "I'm gonna run up to him in broad daylight and try to kill him before the guards kill me" thing? Even then you'd probably kill them just as well with a normal dagger.

Explain that to me, how did civ v make it a meme?

It makes me laugh that the katana haters think they're somehow fighting the good fight against crazy weeb myths, when all they're doing now is promoting new negative myths full of wild exaggeration that have already become the dominant view.

Katanas were just big sabres that were pretty well made. There's really nothing more to it than that. There was no shit iron, just a time-inefficient steel making process.

He called her "Yataghan".

There's no competition. She has no eyes for him, only for me.

Didn't know the kris had achieved meme status. Learned how to fight with kris and dagger years and years ago, they're pretty satisfying to fight with. The wavy edge is a meme in my opinion, a straight kris is a pretty good dueling weapon paired with a dagger, very comfortable to cut-and-thrust and defend with (although its better in the thrust), the wavy ones are just being decorative for its own sake because when you are trying to kill an unarmoured man it doesn't matter if your sword is a little less efficient because a less efficient sword is still extremely lethal to a human.

The cinquedea is a neat looking dagger. Probably perfectly usable too, in spite of what lindybait might think. Something can be fashionable and kill you at the same time.

>Katanas were just big sabres that were pretty well made.
they were hardly big