How would you transplant a religion like Shinto work in a space setting where people presumably all have easy access to...

How would you transplant a religion like Shinto work in a space setting where people presumably all have easy access to the scientific knowledge to know that their religion is provably false?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I show them as stupid, unintelligent sheeple they are, easily defeated by an enlightened mind.

Asian religions aren't Cosmological like Christianty or Islam, they are more about daily habits and attitudes.

Isn't Buddhism?

Unless you've got technology that can objectively quantify a soul or spiritual core, you can't disprove a religion with science.
But if you objectively find such a thing, that just proves that there is a religious truth of some sort. And if you can't find it, then you can't disprove anything.

The phenomenon of Esoteric Kekism suggests that religion can persist and even thrive in a high-tech environment.

>provably false
that seems unlikely.

Faith does not require scientific backing, it is faith.

Gods of the Gaps, senpai. You'll always get "but science doesn't know ALL the answers!" justifications for belief in the supernatural.

Another approach is that a Neo-Shinto religion might treat Kami as metaphysical personifications rather than things that exist objectively.

This is some high quality bait

Dune got it right. When mankind stepped into the Void, they run back to religion for comfort. If anything, becoming spacefaring will only strengthen religions.

>Implying Shinto isn't real
Tell me another country with a millennium-old capital that was only captured by an enemy nation once.

Shinto would just assume the ship is alive, and demand the crew give it filial piety.

Shinto isn't provably false like Abrahamic religions because there's no gods that aren't talking to you.

I suspect that non-theological, almost animistic, religious practices like Shinto will actually increase over time.

The more advanced technology becomes, the less the average individual understands it and the more room there is for superstition to sneak in. We've already reached the point where no one person can realistically hope to understand the totality of human knowledge, even with advanced education. When AI is developed later this century, this gap between individual knowledge and its totality is going to increase enormously.

It makes them happy. You don't need any reason to do something other than that.

I think that a common view of Reform Judaism - that all scientific knowledge/advancement was placed by God so that humanity can find it - translates well to such a setting.

>Shinto would just assume the ship is alive, and demand the crew give it filial piety.

Shit, sailors the world over already do that.

Build your own gods.

Buddhism isn't about specific gods, it's about a way of life to engage with your human base desires so you can live a good life that you yourself would be proud of at the end of your days.

Time to smite some heretics.

>god buried dinosaur bones to test our faith

Take a mixture of advanced AI and ancestor worship and various vehicles; computers, and other mechanical devices and suddenly people could be making quick prayers to said machine as though it were they're venerated ancestors spirits. The AI react to just going with it to believing it themselves to just mocking the people making the prayers.

Isn't Shinto more like acknowledging the inherent capabilities of things and animals and meditating about it? Maybe we should first discuss what thd fuck shinto actually IS before discussing further on this topic.

Time to move to India and hope you don't get decimated.

I think it's more along the lines of god put dinosaurs there so that they'd turn into bones so that paleontologists ultimately have something to do and can further human knowledge.

I mean, that's a logical extension of current practice, where Japanese ships are revered. If you lived aboard one all your life, it would be family.

The practice of fundamentalist religions would decline in a starfaring environment, but the practice of philosophic religions is likely only to increase.

How does that make Shinto real? The reason Japan has only been conquered once is that only two groups ever tried.

Pagan religions are significantly less hurt by advances in science than modern monotheistic religions because they can easily accomodate the fact that the gods are not actually what they represent but merely personifications. Their creation myths are usually metaphorical and often diverge significantly within a single story. "Shinto" is basically just the official state-supported version of japanese folk religion.

On the other hand, christianity and to a slightly lesser extent islam positioned their one true god as the cause number one of all existence, therefore anything that hurts this hurts their supremacy. That's the problem of trying to reconcile monotheism and neoplatonic thought (essentially anthropomorphizing the neoplatonic divine, which is incredibly stupid)

>scan the cosmic microwave background and convert the data to digits
>assign letters to the digits using numerology.
>analyze the resulting random text field like those "Bible code" guys
>find the true Word of Kek
Of course, the followers of Moloch will try to stop you, but isn't it worth the risk?

Sure, but Shinto is specifically related to specific places in the world, which creates problems in a space faring civilization.

I thin it's more along the lines of "I've built a carburetor, now I understand a little more of Gods wisdom."

>people are still unironically openly atheist on the internet

Don't you have Reddit for this sort of thing?

And who stopped the Mongols?

*tips mitre*

This might amaze you, but sometimes corpses twitch and sometimes people have a dying gasp.

The degree to which people give a shit about religion outside murica is going down significantly faster than the religiosity of the average american.

Funny except I don't see any Catholics making threads thinly veiled to discuss "why Atheism sucks"

If you're atheist cool, but keep that shit to yourself. You're more obnoxious that any other (non-)religious group on the internet.

Sure, sure, but three invasion attempts is not a large enough sample pool to base a conclusion off of.

>Funny except I don't see any Catholics making threads thinly veiled to discuss "why Atheism sucks"

NEVER BEEN TO Veeky Forums THEN.

If both the atomic bombs had been blows off course by a sudden hurricane I think we'd have a real case here for divine protection.

That's because they do them in Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums or they just stay in their hugbox on /pol/.

More importantly, even when people just so much as question the religious tenets of christianity in a fantasy setting people still go full butthurt and post retarded fedora memes.

And you're basically latching at an incredibly obvious bait thread.

>Implying (((radiation))) is real.
Yeah right, it is surely a "real" thing, one that happened to be discovered by a woman, who are know for being good at discovering things.

It must be a coincidence that whenever you try to see the places that are full of "Radiation", like the nuclar test sites in the US or Chernobyl in Ukraine, you are soon forced to leave by soldiers who don't want you to be "poisoned" by all that "radiation"

I legitimately feel bad for Pierre Curie.

>keep that shit to yourself

Says the faggot who obviously has no problem with religious people preaching loudly on the street.

But then I've come to expect nothing other than gutter-tier hypocrisy from the religious Right.

If radiation isn't real, why did this Jap melt?

Why even try to keep him alive at this point?

Did you have a point? I never said I was personally religious you retarded fuck

They're Greek Orthodoxboos though. There's also significant push back and discussion so don't pretend for a second that Veeky Forums is some kind of religious echo chamber you bitch.

>that's because they do them on Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums

No they literally don't. I've been a regular on Veeky Forums for years prior to it being split into Veeky Forums and I can say with almost certainly more authority than you that you have no idea what you are talking about. For the majority of its existence until very recently it was a secular echo chamber of anything. Even now I'd describe it as that.

>"Anyone I don't agree with is j-j-just /pol/"

Pathetic. /pol/ hates Christianity too. The very few that do, role play as crusaders and themselves admittedly not actual practicing believers. Guys they worship like Richard Spencer and Milo are self avowed atheists. I don't browse /pol/ regularly cause it's a cesspit but accusing anyone you don't like it being a /pol/ user is one of the most assblasted things you can do lol

Jess fucking Christ how is that person alive?

Nice try, but that is a soviet man of a failed space mission.

Man you just nailed me right down to my shoes huh? You should take this psychic fortune teller circus act of yours on the road because man you totally described me PERFECTLY. How ever will I recover from your weak, petty generalities and desperate insults?

Well it's for the best, I have a lot of street preaching and internet proselytizing to do on Veeky Forums's role playing board!

All of this is wrong.

Like.
Not a single part of this is accurate.

Veeky Forums sometimes like orthodoxy, but it's definitely a catholic wankfest, and atheists are the worst at any rate.

Milo is a catholic who regularly calls atheists stupid.

Veeky Forums would suck the pope's cock.

The scientists were doing it for shits and giggles.

What's wrong with being openly atheist? Some people have been assholes about it and wore objectionable hats while doing so?

DEUS VAULT.

Conveniently the real world already shows that Shinto is bullshit, so the main reason you'd do it is that you like it.

>DEUS VAULT

YOU RANG?

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, just don't be some obnoxious fuck trying to start something or address people condescendingly with some perceived intellectual superiority. Try to keep up.

There are places on the internet devoted to debating the topic of religion and last I checked Veeky Forums wasn't one of them.

The US or the Japaneses? Neither would surprise me.

Still wouldn't surprise me.

user is right, I forgot the name of the dude, but basically,
>Be me, soviet officer of space program
>Notice some heavy mistake in the upcoming thing my friend will be taking place in
>Other people don't believe me and still want to send my friend to that mission
>I decide to take my friend's place
>Shit goes wrong
>The only thing I can say is "curse you all" before suffering beyond measures
>Still worth it, not for saving faggot friend, but telling those science dweebs they were fucking wrong.

this, yeah, but a bigger issue is that for 90%+ of japanese, shinto is not about believing but about tradition, performing rituals and having a nice cozy time at festivals. just like you can put up a tree and celebrate christmas without being religious at all.

I think Shinto in a space setting is still worth exploring specifically though, because it's tied to geographical locations.

This. It's about culture, not religion.

i think one really cool thing would be to look at space travel as one big festival. like, think of the ship as the mikoshi, carrying a kami as people party through space.

>user is right,
That's funny, all reverse image search turns up is stuff about Hiroshi Ouchi and the 1999 Tokaimura nuclear accident.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident

The thing about that is that the parts that are tied to a location are literally local. That weird penis festival that nobody knows the reason for only happens in one place. If that place were to be swallowed by a crevice, they wouldn't do that anymore.

Space shinto would have local space festivals and events, probably copied from specific shrines.

I will look into that later user. The soviet case was even in one of Rob Dyke's videos.

It's a nip named Masashi Ouchi.
They kept him alive with copious blood transfers (which bled out of him right away) and jumped his heart back into it numerous times because this is the only time they can learn what severe radiation do to a body and tried to administer various treatment to him.

That sounds like a human right's abuse. Isn't there some kind of international law against that?

The idea of carrying a kami through space is cool at the very least.

Performing rituals specific to the ship in question, maybe having to recover derelict ships to save the kami inside?

The festival idea is cool too, although month long festivals seem a bit... odd.

Or maybe the poor soviet man was in the exact same position as Ouchi. Skinless people are hard to differentiate.

It could just become
>Our gods are spaceman
>We are the descendants from the gods
Since the emperor is the descendant from Amaterasu they can just claim to have AYY blood.

GUYS

AI KAMI.

The AI that runs the ships are Kami.
Terrible or decent idea?

I dunno OP. I'm an atheist and I don't think we're gonna get much more "provably false" than we're right now, which isn't.

Religions still exists right now, so no bait can exhist here.

Machine spirits

Hey, I'm not atheist. I just know better than to believe in your silly Abrahamic god.

I mean basically... yeah.
Damn.

He wasn't skinless, he was bit of charcoal that was vaguely human shaped.

>How would you transplant a religion like Shinto work in a modern setting where people presumably all have easy access to the scientific knowledge to know that their religion is provably false?

That's not just shinto. That's pretty much all indigenous religions. Presumably the focus on places will go away, sort of like how Yggdrasil became a metaphor when Charlemagne went and razed the whole grove. Like, you currently get folks venerating Thor and Odin (albeit in non-traditional ways) without thinking the dead go to Hell, Norway. As far as I know, not that many even think that the witches burned on Midsummer go to Bloksbjerg, which is impossible to verify since nobody burns actual witches any more anyway.

Veeky Forums terrible general

>Japan in the Shouwa period
>International law

The grove wasn't the actual Yggdrasil user.
Yggdrasil had civilizations living in it.

He wrecked irminsul, and we don't know what the fuck that actually was, except it had something to do with a tree trunk.

And Hell Norway isn't related to Hel, as evidenced by the fact that there's too many L's user.
It's from a different word.

>those digits
Shadilay, brother.

Well, fine enough. How about witches in Bloksbjerg?

Or, hell, even more modern religions: Look at Islam, they go on pilgrimages to Mecca still. And Christians do okay even in the new world with literally no Christian locales around them.

but where would you choose to start? That is, what would be the the first digit?

Witches going to Bloksbjerg is a post-christian invention.

Islam in space is actually really interesting, because scholars of Islam have been working on that one.
Their consensus so far is "Praying towards earth is fine, in so far as that is possible to ascertain", and "Not being able to catch a rocket counts as a good enough excuse to not head to Mecca".

I can see non-Muslims getting in on that just for the idea of praying toward Earth.

>post-christian
Not really relevant since it's still geographic and is a local faith thing rather than part of organized religion.

>Shinto is specifically related to specific places in the world
Shinto thought of that already. The specifically have kami moving and even cloning rituals, no joke.

When they renovate a shrine, they have to "move" the kami/god out of there, so they have this little mikoshi thing that it gets to travel to a temporary house in. That same mikoshi thing is for the god to be paraded around in during festivals.

Subsequently when a new shrine was made and consecrated to the same god, they traditionally moved a relic/artifact representing the god in some form to essentially clone it (sometimes; this is highly, highly based by locality and the type of god and not usually necessary for the big names that survived in the modern day like Amaterasu or Inari).

Shinto is fascinating in how many different ancient tribal rituals from the far, pre-writing past survived in different forms and were later added to from Korean/Chinese cultural influences.

the Professor Munakata (historical fiction) manga series is a great way to see this in action (if with a fair bit of dramatization and sometimes outright overreaching mythology).

It has to be chosen randomly. That's how He Who Croaks makes his voice heard.

user, witches going to Bloksbjerg is not part of actual fucking religion.

Absolutely, I imagine you could even have religions treating earth as an extended Garden of Eden. I mean the Christian creation myth is already allegorical as fuck.

>The degree to which people give a shit about religion outside murica is going down significantly faster than the religiosity of the average american.
Isn't europe turning muslim though?

What defines "actual fucking religion" that makes burning a witch on Midsummer's Eve and banishing her to Germany somehow different from the Shinto stuff that goes on?

Depends on whether you believe what you hear on the internet, user.

Actual converts are over-presented in the media. They're relatively rare per capita and as well I'm sure (albeit I haven't done serious research on it) that a lot of them are for the purpose of simply secular marriage, much like people who have to convert to Christianity to get married for various sects of Christianity (my uncle did the same because his to-be wife was Catholic I believe).

Europe has a lot more muslims by pure population simply due to immigration of a fuckton of them due to the troubles in the ME and as well they make a lot of fucking babies, being first-generation immigrants.

Space Shintos are conservationists trying to preserve pieces of Earth and heirloom genomes.

The same way it does in real life, right now?

Alternatively:

>advanced semi autonomous AI sprites manage most technology independently
>Places and things literally have guardian spirits tied to them as a result
>Shinto priest is a combination of physchologist and tech support as he keeps the Kami sprites happy and their code debugged so the Electronic Trashcans don't start spitting garbage at people

Sufficiently advanced technology etc etc

Shinto is essentially a respect for purity and having town/family mascots. Literally nobody has a literal interpretation of it.

thanks for the professor munakata tip senpai

and yeah, the "cloning" means that the ties to localities aren't as strong as you'd think.
there are tens of thousands of shrines dedicated to inari, spread all over japan (and even outside japan, though to a much lesser extent)

user, this is no longer generalized Germanic, this is specifically Danish.

So I'll level with ya:
The ceremonial witch burning at the night of Saint John, was never about actual witches, allegorical or otherwise.
It began as a tradition of burning the personified winter in Germany and became an allegorical symbol of evil in Denmark which became anthropomorphized as a witchy character.

There was never a "real" (As in, a witch as anything but a symbol for something that wasn't a witch) witch going to Brocken by virtue of the burning.
Brocken was identified with Walpurgis Night, at previous instances, which WAS actual folk tradition, and the two got combined in the 19th fucking century a point where neither Walpurgis Night or the witch burning were things that people saw as anything but fairy tales devoid of meaning.

The Shinto equivalent is their celebration of Christmas.

>scenario you just described, more or less with some embellishment
we gon' full Horizon now