Post traps

Post traps.
Pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_486KVrqGuI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh you almost had me!

yeah well killing people is easy. I don't want a dungeon that kill adventurers. I just want a dungeon of incredibly annoying mild inconveniences.

What am I looking at exactly?

Oooh... nasty.

Cage falls and traps someone, rats go in to swarm that someone.

I get the cage. What I'm curious is as to why there are floating rats near the ceiling?

Looks like a pressure plate that drops an open topped cage that shortly fills with giant rats. No explanation how the guy lost his sword though.

>floating
The ceiling is transparent so you can see the rats

Those are tunnels in the ceiling that the skeevers are moving through.

They're in tunnels, the bottom or sides aren't being shown for the purposes of the picture.

now that's comedy

Traps are a cool idea, but I feel like using them a lot would have the consequence of training players to avoid, well, interacting with things in general. From the perspective of GMing, that seems like an undesirable outcome. How do you handle it?

Most of these traps seem very interesting, but they also seem like they would require insanely immense amounts of work and or magic to construct.

What about simple, effective, and easy to make, something goblins and kobolds would actually use?

Tripwires with bound crossbows.

Tripwires with heavy objects like rocks/cages

Tripwires attached to bellows that spew poison gas

Tripwires that do absolutely nothing but scare the shit out of the party when they accidentally trip them

>Sticky Sap Tree
An adventurer spots something shiny or otherwise enticing inside a knothole or some other small crevice (not necessarily in a tree, but that's what I'm using). Unbeknownst to them the tree (including the knothole) is coated in a layer of an extremely sticky glue. Once they're good and stuck the monsters show up.

Though that is still kind of a lot of prep. The monsters more than the glue, though.

I'd just leave if my GM pulled either of these on someone in my party. Those are just bullshit "fuck you" traps.

Hey, the rope burn one isn't too bad.

These are coming off the top of my head so they might not be the best, or at least might need some refining.
>Voluntary Pit Trap
The party stumbles across what appears to be a crank-powered elevator leading down into the ground. They feel a light breeze coming through the slats of the elevator, and decide to hop on and start lowering themselves down.

It doesn't actually lead anywhere, and the elevator crank is ratcheted so they can't raise it up. Some vents too narrow to accommodate a person pump in air. I'm imagining the elevator supported by some kind of jack from below rather than chains from above so they can't climb out.

>Hot Prize
A treasure chest in a small chamber (so small you have to close the door to access the chest) which is in fact the cap on a water main of sorts. When opened it sprays water uncontrollably into the chamber until it's flooded.

>Contingency Plan
The party is backed into a corner but see a way to escape by diving off a cliff into the waiting sea below. The water is relatively calm, so they should be able to swim to safety. And of course they have to think it's their idea--"oh, back us up against a cliff, eh? Bet you didn't expect this!"

That's when they land on the Wall of Force just above the water.

1984's room 101 in trap form.

That woman seems pretty content with possible tentacle rape

You're making a lot of assumptions there, buddy. For all we know the tentacles are their old friend who's there to save the day.

The real issue I have with these traps is that they give way more mundane utility to casters to the point where there is no point to being a non-caster if traps like this tend to pop up in a game.

After avoiding an acid pit, and making their way to the other side, the party finds a treasure chest. The rogue goes to unlock it, but it's a Mimic. The rogue is stuck to the beast, which being immune to acid, decides to hang out in the pool with the rogue.

What I want to know is why the wizard seems to have dark skin on his face, but light skin everywhere else. This sure as hell isn't vitiligo.

My issue with these traps is they're designed to maim or outright kill a party member so that the rest of the party can avoid the trap after the fact. Traps like these are no fun for players and should only be employed in extreme cases. I get that traps should be dangerous, since the point of a trap is to punish would-be thieves and intruders, but making them function in such a way that you're basically forced to sacrifice a player to understand/avoid the trap is where I draw the line.

For reference, one of my best traps was a collapsing ceiling I shamelessly stole from Ocarina of Time. My table enjoyed it because it was different, beatable, and wasn't unfair. These traps are just unfair, especially because they're mundane in nature with essentially no triggering mechanism that can be detected before triggering the trap. This means mages can't use Detect Magic to see if something is off and Rogues wouldn't be able to disarm or even recognize the trap before it's too late.

About the only one I actually like is the double-pit, because that one doesn't kill you and presents an obvious second trap that anyone falling into deserves to die for.

A poor attempt at showing that his face is shrouded underneath the hood.

I love how dumb this trap is.

Clearly the dark-skinned wizard had to graft his head onto the light-skinned body of a recently-deceased man. The wizard's original body was destroyed by a devious trap and they had to make field repairs.

He's one of those weird creations that comes out of modding a videogame.

Why is that old as fuck bleached skeleton surrounded by fresh blood?

Im not sure I want to click on these...

Do as user here wants Make all of your "traps" incredibly annoying, so players become cautious, but not anything MORE than annoying. Make sure to regularly throw in a prize or loot to keep their spirits up, basically generate a "Totally worth it!" attitude.

For instance, my personal take on this wouldn't be steadily increasing damage. Rather the rope is somehow hollow, with sausage like bags inside filled with some kind of magic/alchemy resistant sticky goo. As soon as a player grabs hold of the rope, the sacks inside burst, and the goo squirts out to cover the hands/face/chest of player. The player can't scrape it off without removing layers of their own skin, and magic/alchemy has no effect on it. So they are forced to walk around covered in it. Everything they touch has to be slowly peeled off like velcro.

If I'm being a real asshole I make it glow in the dark.

Damnit, I was expected the double bluff.

...What if I'm wearing metal gauntlets, as I always will if I'm the first to go in?

It explains that case, but it's a BS trap anyway.

Yeah, the grimtooth traps as a whole suffer from being in the ha ha fuck you category of traps, as a lot of them are basically undetectable or have something in function that you have no way of knowing if its good or bad. Some will help, some are fuck you. They're also really fond of instadeath or crippling effects as well. So the only time I think you should use them is if you make it very clear that this is a meat grinder game where anything and everything is out to get you. Otherwise they'd probably be a bit more in the "fuck you gm" region.

That was my main gripe, as explained here: Traps like these should basically never be used unless, like you said, the point of the campaign is to see how far you get before you die. Reminds me of a GM my friend used to play with that made it his goal to kill the party every time they sat down. Would often create foes with weaknesses he didn't think anyone would have, and my friend would always accidentally figure it out and survive otherwise fatal encounters because he often does stupid shit for the hell of it.

Like... using Ray of Frost on the Lich. Turns out that Lich was inexplicably deathly weak to frost and instantly died. That sort of thing.

His hands and feet are covered while he spends endless days wandering outside, but his face is largely uncovered. It's like a farmers tan, but your whole body.

So, it's a door, but when you open it, the walls around you move and slam the entire party inside before you could take a look, and you fall down a long pit. On the walls of teh pit are alcoves packed full of bodaks with everlasting lights who look at you and instakill you as you fall, and at the bottom of the pit are poisoned spikes of soul-capturing stone, that are themselves bathed inside a fully evolved, collosal sized half-red dragon black pudding. And when the victim reaches the bottom, it activates a presure plate that cause the ceiling to fall throughthe pit. On said ceiling are engraved a large variety of Symbol spells and explosive runes.
Ah ah ah, that thaught you well about opening doors inside a dungeon ! This was a tricky lesson, because I am a trickster DM.

An other clever trap that is so tricky is patch of shrieker mushrooms that occupy the entirety of the only possible passage into the important part of teh dungeon, and there is a spell on the zone that forbids passages to the astral (and so all kind of teleportations and planar workaround). But there are none of the violet fungi that usually comes with shrieker fungi.So, the group is obligated to approach and to cause the shriekers to shriek, and the shriek causes the anti-astral spell to drop and then there are 145 ethereal filchers who drop from the planes and take away all their magical gear, and the shrieks of the shriekers attracts nearby creatures, that is THE ENTIRE BLOOD WAR because there was a gate to the fiendish battlerfields nearby. And if they surive I give them the Xp for having defeated a CR 1 monster. And I guffaw a lot about my trickiness.

But the trickiest trap is the simplest one, really.
It's an invisible, undetectable tripwire that is just behind the entrance door of the dungeon.
Once tripped, the entire plance is annihilated.

Or just make the water two feet deep.

How about, an invisible tripwire at the entrance of the dungeon, that becomes visible once tripped with a loud "click" noise. Then a "grrrr-thunk" is heard, like a stone wall sliding into place, except nothing happened.

The trip-wire triggered the sound to play, and so the party spends the session looking between the bricks in the wall for a draft, checking everything for the secret passageway they seemingly closed off, giving the hunting party of whatever lives in the dungeon time to return and flank the party.

It's... not very tricky. Perhaps if the flanking hunting party are parangon half-troll werediretyranausorusrex lich LeShays....
No, better, we keep your idea of the tripwire making a noise of rumbling stone, but it actually releases a colourless tasteless odourless insta-kill poisonous gas ! It's really tricky because they think that they will be killed by stones and they get killed by air instead !

A friend in high school ran a quick adventure for the group we had then and made up one of my favorite traps ever in it.

>A long, dark room with a small pathway of tea light candles leading in a straight line through.
>Just outside the light, and crossing through the entire room attached from floor to ceiling are barely visible razor wires, sharp enough to seriously injure anyone who touches them.
>The wires are covered in flammable oil, and their anchor points to the floor and ceiling are made of highly flammable cloth.
>The wires are also holding up the floor. If the wires burn or are cut, the floor drops several hundred feet into an underground chasm.

For what was at the time like a second level party, it was awesome.

How about, there's a tripwire and a door, and if the players open the door but don't pull the tripwire, they open the door and find fantastic treasure beyond their wildest imaginations and win the campaign?

The trap is that this is the first encounter for level 18 characters that the players took hours optimising for and now after two minutes of play the campaign is over

Do mimics count?

oh I'm stealing this one for the next everything is a mimic game.

Okay, how is that paper going to not degrade in dungeon conditions?

Is this for GMs or can players ask too? I need stuff for safehouses, not dungeons

I guess this is a magical enhanced trap, right?

possibly the single worst way to die

I had my group of players scared shitless.

A maze of Walls of Force with minotaur that can be seen progressing through the maze and can see the players.

The players know they could be attacked at ANY moment, they have no idea how close the minotaurs really are, and there is also a series of lesser traps inside.

Made for a fun encounter.

This is probably my favourite trap desu,

You know this is a blueboard, right?

source?

Kalindra-chan

Hilarity ensues when a level 1 chacarcter gets in instagibbed by a handful of tiny spikes.

where is his armor

holy hell, I want to wash that creature thoroughly and watch is blush and squirm

There is no armor, and in fact that wasn't even a proper adventurer in the pit.

It's actually a very ancient skeletal undead waiting for someone to fall in there.

It's not necessarily paper, they just mean a break-away floor.

one of his blood veins must have popped

Basically the "kill a puppy get a cookie" thinking

Superior OCG art

I don't know, I think I prefer the ancient Egyptian shotgun.

youtube.com/watch?v=_486KVrqGuI

I figured he's wearing a wooden mask.

I have a better trap than any of those.

I apply to a Roll20 game appearing to be a completely reasonable person, asking the GM for feedback, being pleasant and respectful of the other players and engaging with the campaign.

fixed

>Tripwires that do absolutely nothing but scare the shit out of the party when they accidentally trip them
>mfw this is the perfect way to battle meta-gaming

>the character is terrified they triggered something
>the player is terrified they triggered something

where exactly is the metagaming?

WHITED

No love for the classics?

Normally I'd agree with you, but ancient guns are just the right sort of gonzo.
And the shitty, modern jury-rigging gives a nice juxtaposition.

Pretty much any combination of clutches (pressure plates, tripwires, etc), springs (of any sort, helical springs, bows, torsion spring, yadda yadda...), latches (generally between cliches and springs), and pointy bits (spikes, needles, arrows... bonus points for poison).
If you get fancy and use gravity, add snares (nooses, ropes that trip people...) pits (i.e. pits), and dead falls (rocks fall and everyone's hurt).

Shit can get really simple.
Literally a rope to trip people placed next to a spikes is a solid trap, if you're in the dark.
If you're getting chased, a rope to trip people works even without spikes.
If you're in nasty foliage, spikes work by themself (and probably carry disease even without poison).

>Ancient egyptian revolver

THE HAMMER IS EVEN A COBRA.

this wasn't the traps that i expected

I made a trap for one of my goblin caves that is a foot nose that lifts the character towards the ceiling, sup side down, and also sprints a giant log that's been suspended and sharpened like a battering ram. The ram then drops and swings like a pendulum into the trapped character who is too busy trying to cut themselves down to notice.

Looted
Skin was looted too

Put one in my game last week. Unfortunately he triggered it from the wrong way so he saw it coming and had plenty of time to jump out of the way.

A friendly archwizard had an invisible tripwire next to an invisible paralysis poisoned spike in her bedroom because being out of spells was a dangerous time for wizards.

Fully half the party got tripped, failed reflex and their fort save, and got tied up by tiny golem Spiders.

The archwizard they were trying to wake up wasn't even there.

Has never failed me when I place this in game.

Most metal gauntlets don't cover your palms.

Players who memorize the trap entries in the books and know every trap by their appearance from a successful perception check.