Dice Towers

Is it worth it to get a dice tower? Do you have one? How much did it cost? Would you recommend getting one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7n8LNxGbZbs
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18582712/IosanDiceTower.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My dice tower doubles as your mom's best friend and the thing I used to bust your dad's nose.

Depends. It's worth it if you have players that fudge their dice and are willing to use it.

We had one, but it wasn't used, so it wasn't worth it.

Do you tend to throw your dice all over the floor or are you severely autistic about randomization? A dice tower might be right for you.

I say it's worth it only if your playgroup are filled with fucking chimps with downs who can't roll anything or cheaters

Basically, I take it as a litmus test of whether I should fuck off from this group

Dice towers are only good for That Guys who can't be trusted to roll their own dice properly or spastics who are too stupid to roll dice without throwing them across the room.

Just roll on the table top you fucking mongs.

Ah, but what about people with back, neck, and face problems? Didn't think about that now did you?

I've got a solution for them.

OP here. I enjoy using metal dice, but as you know it sucks to throw them onto the table. I have to throw them into a small plastic container so they wouldn't damage the table over time. That's why I got this autistic idea.

Also I figured it would help whenever the DM asks players to roll secret rolls (stealth, checking for traps, checking for lies, etc.) as all he'd have to do is spin the tower towards himself.

As most people today we use battle mats. Any dice that's not completely on the mat is rolled, if it lands on terrain, a card, some paper, anything you have to reroll.
This helps cocked dice discussions to just disappear

Okay that's acceptable.

I fucking hate them. Just use a phone app if you're worried about randomization or your dice being weighted wrong.

You can make a functional one from foamboard and tooth picks. I'd recommend making one with a either a detachable or folding tray just to make it easier to store.

Useful in a wargaming because you don't have to worry about runaway die getting stuck in terrain, knocking over models, or just diving onto the floor. Especially useful for high terrain density games like infinity where dice like to squirrel themselves into odd places.

Also they tend a rather hypnotic sound that is oddly soothing.

That said, a dice cup or dice box can fulfill the containment issue. Certain dice, such as the D4 also don't play nice with the dice tower.

That's actually pretty justifable when you put it like that. I'm especially intrigued by those secret rolls.

Automated number generators are pseudo random and not true random. With that said, I think dice towers are retarded. If you're worried about damaging the table, bring a mat and don't chuck the damn dice.

Just take the lid off one of your boardgame boxes, flip it upside down, and throw your dice into that. No chance to damage your table, no chance to have the dice roll off the table. It works perfectly and you don't have to buy a silly tower to do it.

DIY a friend of mine did it, we don't use it anymore

I used one for my gaming group mostly because it looked cool. Also for the secret rolls some other guy mentioned. But we liked to make a show out of it and having a big rampart along with castle walls was kinda nice. It also had magnets on it we could use to move around initiative, which is super unnecessary but the swank value it up to 11

I glady would use one because the sheer amount of dies we use in this game, Dice Masters.

anyone with a blueprint of some neat portable model?

Combine with GameScience sharp-edged dice for maximum autism

Depends on the method. I've coded a TRNG myself, it's not particularly hard with the resources we have now.
A good PRNG is also impossible to predict by human means without a whole lot of hard calculations and total knowledge of the initial state.

They're not that hot for giant loads of dice, the dice tend to land on top of each other when you roll shitloads.

>They're not that hot for giant loads of dice, the dice tend to land on top of each other when you roll shitloads.
you real? still I would like to have even a small one, people here are kind of messy with this game so a bit more of order at the time of playing it would be well received. also the game makes you roll about 4~8-10 dies at once and people don't know how even throw a small bunch of them without launching them across the table.

You can make giant diceloads work, but it means you have to put the dice in at a slower rate than you could just handroll them in a box lid.

Eight to ten dice should work fine though, maybe a stray reroll needed here or there. I was more referring to warhammer style "and now I resolve sixty lasgun shots".

You can print a dice tower out of paper. not even expensive paper, just paper. I had one from Munchkin that worked fine for rolling anything except for my stainless steel dice.

Inb4 dice towers with a rate limiting funnel

You'd need more something like a conveyor belt at the exit or for the dice tower to rotate while in use, the issue is dice landing on other dice at the end and being cocked or just jamming the tower.

Might as well build a Dice-O-Matic at that point

youtube.com/watch?v=7n8LNxGbZbs

>How much did it cost?
You could just papercraft that shit

>Dice towers
Absolutely plebeian

Why not just use a dice cup?

You want dice cups.

If you have a few spare, they also let you dice 'secretly' (searching, hiding, sense motives, reaction rolls, etc.) in the open.
Dice with the cup, peak under it (without fully removing the cup), set the cup back down. Leave a note on top saying what the roll was for.

When the players take advantage of cues they picked up in their conversation, or get caught from their poor hiding, or whatever, you pick up the cup to show the roll.

>dice cups
Maybe if you want to look like a gayboy doing your little shaka shaka dance and your dice to end up smelling like ass.

Overrated imo. Save up and get a fingerbox instead, they're great for getting into character.

Only if dice rolling out of reach are a constant problem

>fingerbox
Now that brings me back

Only if it doubles as a goat tower.

This is the only way to do it really. So much easier and safer than any other method of rolling.

>How much did it cost?
I dunno. A couple of bucks for a few hundred sheets of cardstock and some ink, I guess. I have a castle tower one like in your pic, but good luck convincing me to find it in my hundreds of cardstock folders.

Amendment: I forgot cardstock pdfs are xbawks hueg to have any semblance of quality, so I hunted down the original link I got this one from and am posting a preview image instead. Still not hunting down the castle though.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18582712/IosanDiceTower.pdf