Any Go or chess players here on Veeky Forums ?

Any Go or chess players here on Veeky Forums ?

Other urls found in this thread:

online-go.com/play
chess24.com/en/play/chess
wikiwand.com/en/Go_(game)
chess.com/openings
chess.com/
cosumi.net/en/
online-go.com/puzzles
ymimports.com/collections/go?page=3
imsaworld.com/wp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

've never played Go and I'm shit at chess.

If I win, it's more by dumb luck than any actual skill.
At most I can only plan 2-3 moves in advance.

Zugswang is my fate in the end.

Helpful links for those interested

online-go.com/play
(Learn the rules and strategy of Go and play online)
chess24.com/en/play/chess
( play chess online, can play against cimputer as well)

wikiwand.com/en/Go_(game)

chess.com/openings

chess.com/

cosumi.net/en/
( Play go against computer on browser)

Get gud.

Go is much more difficult than chess in my opinion

Ive been playing Go almost every day for about a yea and im still terrible. But ive made satisfying progress.

>zugswang

there is something similar in go, called gote - sort of the reverse; it's not when you are forced but when you cease to force moves

I recently started playing go and I've been meaning to ask about a couple things. One: could anyone recommend a good book on go for a beginner? And two: is there any such thing as a go clock?

(1) Learn to Play Go series by Kim and Jeong

(2) yes - there are various timing conventions and various clocks to account for them

Who won?

Im a beginer to but I have yet to find a good book thats aimed at beginers.

Online is a much better way to learn

online-go.com/puzzles

This website is incredibly helpful even more than books because it has visual exercises.

game is incomplete

appears that black has the upper hand but white could easily change that depending on how black defends the right corner

I bought a Go board with stones butt the stones plastic material and are low quality. I want real stones. there just incredibly pricey

ymimports.com/collections/go?page=3

the cheapest stones are generally melamine - I assume this is what you mean by plastic

Yellow Mountain also sells a kind of sintered glass stone called yunzi - in the Chinese style, they are flat on the bottom and convex on the top

you can buy cheapish ceramic stones in the japanese double-convex style in about 10mm thickness

finally, there are "real" stones - white made from shell and black from slate

there are different grades of shell, including what kind of shell is used (Japanese, Mexican) and by the fineness of the striations in the shell ... standard grade, "moon" grade, and "snow" grade

snow grade stones, espeically in thicker sizes, are indeed very expensive

Yes. I'm bad at go and chess though, but not too bad at chess. I'm actually really bad at checkers.
imsaworld.com/wp/
This link is useful too.

Zugzwang means that any move you make will make your position worse.
Gote would be just like losing the initiative (sente).

I wouldn´t say Go is more difficult, but just more abstract than chess. A computer may play better at chess because brute force is useful, but the complexity is the same for humans - we need to understand both of them abstractly to play decently.

why is this not 1 webm, as opposed to these 2 shoddily edited jiff extra chunky?

no idea, but surely someone has the skill to attach both in the same file and convert it, so i´ll keep posting them together.

I think white has more points in the bank. black bottom left looks to be quite dead and then there is the one eyed group in the center that w might be able to chase and so reduce some of the black potential on top and/or right side of the board.

yeah, picked up an old book by Seirawan on double-rook sacrifices which is full of fun attacks.

But recently I've been more interested in shogi. Nothing but full-on attacking in this game. There are several manga out now with good games: Mono no Fu, 3-gatsu no Lion, 81-diver, Shion no Ou.

I also picked up a Thai Makruk and a Chinese chess set for Christmas and have been learning those games. Makruk is the closest modern chess variant to the original Chaturanga from a thousand years ago. It is more about strategic maneuvering to obtain a winning endgame than full-on king attacks.

Lowly USCF Class B player dreaming of 1800.

>class B
I've never played a rated game, only casual ones. Class B sounds awesome.