/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Nieces and Dragons Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Vehk and Vehk

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/eso-balac-thurm-main-quest
imperial-library.info/content/trial-vivec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

since 4th age the Technology and Magic Regress became worse

Dagon's Invasion had a bit of success, and the events that succeeded later caused by the events of morrowind worsened that.

>since 4th age the Technology and Magic Regress became worse

Lore-wise this seems like a cool an interesting idea, doing the reverse of what many other fantasy settings do. But when it comes to the consequences for the game world this doesn't seem like the best idea. I don't think many would like everything eventually becoming primitive.

>Armor resembles much more advanced plate armor in ESO while armor in the last few elder scrolls, Morrowind and Oblivion especially, look as if they've been inspired from earlier eras.

ESO has a shit armor design that exaggerates the aesthetic laid down by lederer, kirkbride, and adam. all the armors literally look the same in silhouette and offer no sense of character for the player. they are literally worse than TES III, TES IV, and TES V armors; whereas they had distinct armors you could recognize from a mile away ESO has the same construction of armor for every single set.

Its a fuckin travesty.

andwhat the heck do you want?

warcraft memey and cartoony armory?Or witchers armor, which looks like something out of an old Heavy metal Comic?

armor like every other elder scrolls title??

We're just headed to a Dark Age is all. All we have to do now is wait for the Bretons to get their shit together and make a new empire based on cooking. This is the change Talos mentioned, and it is for the best.

Is becoming a lich objectively evil?

>Lore-wise this seems like a cool an interesting idea, doing the reverse of what many other fantasy settings do

Uh, the technologically advanced past is a common trope in Fantasy. I think most fantasy settings usually have some sort of technologically advanced civilization in their past, which for whatever reason isn't around anymore.

No, in fact the Second Era was pretty much the greatest Dark Age in Tamrielic History barring perhaps the period following the War of Righteousness that we know almost nothing about.
To start, Versidue launched a forty year campaign to crush all the Imperial vassals to ensure they cannot revolt, which saved the Empire from falling apart but completely devastated the population of Tamriel, destroying its economy and making crime sky rocket. And then to make things worse, his incompetent successor Savirien basically reverses everything Versidue did to centralize imperial power, gets murdered, and then the Empire falls apart completely. Trade died, innovation died, scholarship died, all the imaginable perks that came with having a united Empire and connected people, died. The entire continent fell into a general air of distrust, suspicion, and intolerance of others, and was plagued by constant warfare to such an extent that people began calling Tamriel, the place where -and quote "life and death were different sides of the same coin tossed everyday," the Arena.

ESO of course just completely ignored all this in favor of creating a setting with all the depth of a tea cup

>technologically advanced past is a common trope in Fantasy
Yes, but in those the current civilization is recovering and advancing, while in TES it is degrading continuously.

>TES it is degrading continuously

Chrono Trigger

the thing is that chrono trigger had a post apocalyptic future caused by the evil timelord

skyrim averted that with alduin

Do people in these threads actually consider ESO canon?

Alduin was going to restore the kalpa and eat Numidium. As a result of Alduin not doing his job, Numidium fucks everything up. If you take kirkbride as canon.

Yes.

yes

orc blood magic is dope af

>their civilization will always be nomadic
>they will never have a settlement
>if they ever settled they'd industrialized and make blood-fueled animunculi

honestly one of the nicest pieces of ESO lore imo

Why didn't Alduin just bring all his dragon friends to help him in the final battle in Sovngarde?

Odahviing explained this to you.

How is ESO's plot? Sounds really retarded and the game looks generally bad but I've been wrong before.

What is the story? Is any of the lore good?

It's about the same as Skyrim and Oblivion's plot.

Flawed but generally good?

the lil details of lore in ESO are great

the overarching story is kinda balls tho

Explain

they work in details like blood magic for orcs being that they have become extremely settled and centralized as a culture, being that malacath is all about that blood oath and the like.

then they have molag bal throwing you around with his bare hands

Why do I have to go to High Rock to get good Mithril armor?

Did they just make up a plot or was there a precedent for Molag Bal invading Tamriel?

Vanilla is "bad", but then the lorefags on zenimax decided to her our lorefags and the story started to become better

same goes to morrrowind, oblivion and skyrim, but these 3 had good main quests

in fact, vanilla ESO is pretty forgettable sometimes, only when the DLC started to kick in, the story started to evolve

All daedra made a pact with Sotha Sil about their invasion cycles, Molag ball dickslaps you later saying that what he did is nothing compared to what will come next

in this case, he knew that Dagon was working already on his Invasion if He failed on do his.

idk, sorry. i just follow whats posted here; i dont play ESO. probably just invalidated my opinion right there.

Don't Dagon and Bal hate each other?

>ambition
>dominance

i see how it can conflict

Are you allowed to fuck your housecarl?

>t. only played witcher 3

MODS
O
D
S

As explains. Moreover, there's already like 2-3 dragons that ambush you as you make your way to the portal if I recall correctly. Lastly, dragons would probably get rekt if Shor allowed the Dragonborn heroes out to meet with Alduin if he brought dragons with him.

> there's already like 2-3 dragons that ambush you as you make your way to the portal if I recall correctly

This is incorrect,
They leave you alone if you don't attack them.
Odahviing explained this.

Nord Warrior > All else

What is best in life? To crush the Argonians, to see the Dunmer driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the Breton.

There are 4 dragons, 2 will attack you and the other 2 are sitting on the top of the portal.

from an in game perspective being a mage is far better, from a player perspective being a mage is also much better because melee combat in TES games sucks ass

Okay I'll be a Mage instead

Me

What birth sign should I use for pure Breton Mage?

>What birth sign should I use for pure Breton Mage?

Cancer

>pure Breton Mage?
Bretronach a best

That would be one for a Dunmer mage though

If Bretons have the best cooking, which race has the worst cooking? Orcs? Bosmer?

Bosmer

Probably Bosmer, since it's all meat and meat by-products. They consume some really nasty stuff.
Though, they're supposedly really good at preparing meat. Too bad it's the only thing they're good at.

Khajiiti cooking might not be to your liking if you're not into sweet food.

Argonians. Everything on Black Marsh must taste terrible

Argonians because they probably eat everything raw and basically anything they can find

I guess they can't even spice it that much.

Spices will have to be imported.

>"I did say that, because it was stolen," said Foroch. "But if you can get it back, I'll let you take a keg of it. They didn't take my regular ale. They took the Sun's Dusk ale."
>"I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of that one," I said.
>"Few have, for the brewing of it is a trying task. It takes years for all the meat and bugs to fall in. And--"
>"Bugs?" I asked.
>"You can't just go dumping them in, you know," Foroch said, "they have to fall naturally. Crosswings have a fierce bitterness when they die afraid. First, you must stretch seventeen strings of Alfiq-gut over each barrel. Then you must press fresh boar meat onto the strings, being careful not to let any fall before it has properly rotted. Then you must dust the meat with the finely chopped skins of the red-striped frog to make sure the crosswings are drunk and happy when they fall. You do this every month for three or more years, until you have enough meat and bugs to fill the barrel. And that's not even counting the enchantments. You have spells to attract the crosswings and mimics. And spells to keep out the flipbacks, tree-hoppers, and hoarvor young. There are spells to encourage the green mold and prevent the brown and white molds. Then you have to seal the barrel for nine or more years until the last of the green mold turns--"
>"It sounds very difficult," I said, preferring ignorance when it came to Green Pact brewing. "Do you know who took it?"

Any mods that add spells to Morrowind other than that scripted spells retardation? And is it known if the Tribunal killed Nerevar at Red mountain?
>Have to summon ancestor ghost 4+ times if you want to restore your magicka

t. Dunmer

Red mountain eruption Dark Elf genocide best day of my life

It's never officially stated. It can be interpreted both ways. It depends on who you trust, Dagoth Ur or Vivec

There are less biased sources.
Like Alandro Sul.

Elaborate it's been ages since I've played Morrowind

>First, you must stretch seventeen strings of Alfiq-gut over each barrel.
They eat little housecat Khajiit on the reg? Bosmer confirmed for worst neighbors.

I believed they killed him for most of the main quest, but when I got to Vivec he was actually pretty chill. Wasn't the Numidium activated at the battle of Red Mountain? That would create a Dragon Break and make it even more convoluted wouldn't it?

>not the nords

He was Nerevars bestest buddy and is basically the reason Ashlanders didn't like the Tribunal.

> Story behind Alandro-Sul (09/19/06):
> There were nice plans for Sul that never made it in the game, like the "Thousand Ringlets of Alandro Sul," where his mind was blasted into his chainmail headpiece by either A) madness or B) Tribunal-Gun. Then the ashlanders got hold of it and Sul could possess their minds when they wore it, making them see what he did, or thought he did. And then, of course, this thing got scattered and spread among the tribes, so that eventually ashlander tribesmer would all be wearing earrings made out of the chainmail ringlets, each one hearing the profane whisper of Truth.

> That's where the name Sul-Matuul came from. Hardest of the hardcore.

Drunken barbarians aren't a reliable source for anything.

Vivec admits to having killed Nerevar in the 36 Lessons (and the Trial of Vivec).

>tfw can't tell if Morrowind is legitimately a masterpiece or that it's slightly underwritten and the community fills in the gaps with their imagination

After all these years I still can't decide. I always feel like there are such powerful emotions behind Morrowind, especially the main quest where you feel this monumental sense of tragedy and nostalgia from the major players - at least that's what I remember. I can't tell if it was because I played it for the first time when I was in high school and was deeply impressionable.

I also got a really strong Muhammad vibe from the Nerevar and Morrowind in general. Nerevar/Muhammad do the impossible and unite the tribes together to conquer their historical oppressors. Or maybe Lawrence of Arabia. Also the Azura's symbol being a moon and star a la the Ottoman empire/Pakistan's flag that has become associated with Islam.

So the cultural, racist supremacist Dagoth Ur who wants to start a literal apocalyptic race war is weirdly justified for feeling so scorned and betrayed by the Tribunal?

I'm glad to see UESRPG gives the players a lot of freedom when it comes to enchanting. It's a good compromise between the different ways it's been portrayed in the games.
It really is a shame that the ability to design items and spells have been removed from the games themselves.

Yes, the Bosmer are filthy cannibal savages.
Though it's not like the Khajiit won't be massive, barbed dicks in return, the cats just won't eat you.

They don't even cook man. They like to eat their animals alive

What's an interesting questline one could run in an Elder Scrolls themed TTRPG without being obnoxiously non-canon?

Fuck canon, do your own thing. If your guys like TES they'll just be jazzed to be runnan around Tamriel.

That being said, try to avoid the typical shit that makes a bad campaign, self inserts, Mary Sues/Gary Stus, all that bullshit.

Try and start your party as prisoners and cap off the story with an enantiomorph you'll be golden.

Also, dive into the lore in a real way, pick up the shit Todd forgot. No ice vampires in Skyrim? Now your party has to root out a coven of ice vampires. Bosmer player runs into another bosmer? He's gonna fucking barbecue him. Players talk with a Daedra? Make sure they do it on his summoning day and bring the traditional offerings.

Don't aim too low, but don't aim too high either. Or whatever, you're doing this for your party you know what type of questlines they enjoy.

Wait I thought Vivec and the Tribunal killed DAGOTH who was loyal and Nerevar and stole the power of the heart and at a later time, used their god powers to change the past so Dagoth killed Nerevar and they avenged him, basically changing the past to reframe themselves?

Because a LOT of sources point to both being true. For example Dagoth Ur speaking of your fight under the mountain in the past even though if the Tribunal were the bad guys that never would have happened, but we have concrete proof the tribunal were the traitors.

I'm convinced Nu Dagoth believes himself the bad guy because the tribunal fucked with the past, even though he was loyal in the actual timeline, which IMO only adds to his tragedy.

Anyone able to corroborate this or refute it?

A decent Interregnum. The one in ESO is just a fever dream had by Molag Bal's prisoner between eternal dickings and torture.
You could run the original plot for ESO
imperial-library.info/content/eso-balac-thurm-main-quest
>tfw it could have been good

The Dunmer incorporate a lot of early Jewish/Muslim things in their culture/belief structure with some ancestor worship and pain fetishism sprinkled in. Those vibes you're getting are intentional.

I posted something regarding that here . There's like 5 different versions of Nerevar's death:
>Killed by wounds inflicted in his fight against Dumac Dwarf King
>Killed by wounds inflicted in his fight against Dagoth Ur
>Poisoned by the Tribunal in a fake Azura invocation while he was trying to ask her about the tools
>Murdered by the Tribunal after he talked with Azura

I believe that there was a Dragon Break due to Numidium that made all of these true. I never read the source for that "Vivec rewrote reality so that he wasn't a murderer" thing

Speaking of enchantments, Daggerfall had a system where binding a soul to an item (basically the precursor to soul gems) could apply mandatory benefits and drawbacks to an item.
So an item enchanted with the bound soul of a ghost would weigh less, but deteriorate in holy places and do less damage against the undead.
If you used the soul of a Deadra Seducer, the item would cause people to view you more favourably, but it would deteriorate in sunlight and holy places, frighten animals, and start draining your health if you didn't use it often enough.

It's just kind of a neat concept.

Depends on what kind of scope you're working with. Do you want the players to be Imperial agents, wandering adventurers, common folk trust into danger?

If they're Imperial agents, they could hunt down escaped Tharnites in Black Marsh. Enjoy hunting a dangerous cabal of cultist wizards in a hellish jungle.
If they'e adventurers, they could be wanderers during a chaotic time, like the Interregnum or the Simulacrum.
If they're commoners, they could be citizens of Dragonstar wrongly accused of working for "the other side", and now have to clear their name, or maybe just get revenge.

>, from a player perspective being a mage is also much better because melee combat in TES games sucks ass

Stealth archer

Aaaaahhhh

Numidium would totally have just been activated huh. I can't believe that went over my head. That makes sense, thanks user.

I don't remember the source of the Vivec thing but I'm sure it out there. It may have been more CHIM related than heart related in the same way Talos changed Cyrodiil

chris metzen was a better writer than michael kirkbride

>The bait is strong on this /v/one

I think people got that from the Trial of Vivec
imperial-library.info/content/trial-vivec

>Vehk the mortal did murder the Hortator. Vehk the God did not, and remains as written.

>adding negative effects to allow for more enchanting power

wish this was a thing in oblivion, morrowind and skyrim, for spell making too

I have not played it but from what I have read there are some unique ideas, and lots of uninspired garbage or purely nonsensical ideas going on. Like Dunmer and Argonians teaming up and releasing all Argonian slaves? There's no real justification for that. Lots of ESO's ideas are contrary to the logic of the world, as established by the previous 5 games.

If you consider murder and desecration of the dead evil, then yes

Mandatory weekly question relating to the vidya, here. S-should I really try and raise my misc skills in Morrowind? I know about bonuses, but realistically would someone really try and do that or is to metagamey?

>It depends on who you trust, Dagoth Ur or Vivec
They both say the Tribunal killed Nerevar.

If you want to level correctly you're supposed to set the skills you're going to use as miscs, get the appropiate bonuses and then raise one of the fodder major skills to get the three x5 multipliers. Since I didn't do this, what I do to get the multipliers is raise my misc skills that are related to the attributes I want and then rest. This is suboptimal because to get the multipliers you start needing more and more misc skill level ups and you end up behind in levels; not weak, but behind. I'm level 16 and I could level up to 23 just by resting consecutively, so make of that what you will

What's the best province for alchemy?

I would guess Summerset Isles, or Black Marsh for exotic ingredients. Hammerfell would probably be the worst herbally

wrong pic

>indeed i found these flowers difficult to locate at all
>in hjaalmarch
>where they grow like fucking weeds
Sometimes I wonder how much gameply/story segregation is caused by the PC essentially being a self-sufficient murderhobo.

>hero of the game is a grave robber and a mass murderer currently wearing armor and clothes he literally stripped off the corpses of people he killed earlier

Maybe he's a pussy that's afraid of swamps full of giant spiders?
>I have not played it but from what I have read there are some unique ideas, and lots of uninspired garbage or purely nonsensical ideas going on. Like Dunmer and Argonians teaming up and releasing all Argonian slaves? There's no real justification for that. Lots of ESO's ideas are contrary to the logic of the world, as established by the previous 5 games.
"These two races are REALLY cool, I wish they weren't mortal fucking enemies! Oh wait I CAN DO THAT!" --The mind of a deranged lorewriter.

I mean I've wished Dunmer and the beast races got along, because they're all rather cool, but TES thrives on people being at least moderately dickish to each other.

>but TES thrives on people being at least moderately dickish to each other.

They still are. There are some instances of dunmers being dicks to argonians and nords. One quest had me trying to stop argonians ploting to kill a dunmer woman and she would freak out if i aproached her while playing argonian (and some other quests have similar things) so there's more racial tension in dialogue with pc's then in skyrim. But then you can also play as any alliance so a lizard can join a tribe of redguards in Alik'r desert.

>warring racial factions
Why do mmos still try perpetuate this shitty WoW meme

"because copying the big guy will surely make me the next big guy"

this is what MMO developers actually think

never mind that the entire genre is in decline

well why don't you just put the game on autopilot if you don't want to play it so badly?

Imperials are renowned for not using spice and boiling their food, according to Red Kitchen Reader.
Other than that, Bosmer as most have said. Also considering that Orcs eat horses raw like animals, they probably aren't much better.

ok so if the Thalmor can make Lorkhan's corpse just fuck off then why do they have personnel out in the mucky shitfields of Skyrim hunting down his worshippers

They didn't do it, they just claimed to.

Speaking of Thalmor claims, can anyone give me a rundown on what happened to the moons? I know the general situation, but not the details.

TIDF pls go and stay go

Thalmor used ancient magic to make the moons fuck off, it was part eugenics project and part subjugating the Khajiit

Now that you mention it, is there any lore on the khajiit born during the void nights?

No, stillbirth is a bit much even for an M-rated game.

but Tiber forcing Barenziah to have an abortion is A-OK

Thats what she gets for being a slut.
All dunmer are sluts

Seriously though, how can such horrible anti-Imperial propaganda exist without repercussions?