The Veil: Cyberpunk Roleplaying Powered by the Apocalypse

So ever since I got int the quickstart rules of Kult 2nd Edition, I kinda taking a liking to how the Apocalypse World system works with moves and stuff, and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this game, The Veil? Or better yet, does anyone have a pdf of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/ravendesk/vurt-the-tabletop-roleplaying-game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gonna post whatever cool cyberpunk art I have meanwhile.

Bump. No one interested at all?

What are some particulars about the setting?

I have no idea personal, I haven't read into it besides what blurbs allow. But it's a cyberpunk game using the Apocalypse World system

I'm not familiar with Apocalypse system, how does it work?

>Rules lite cyberpunk
>Modern cyberpunk
reeee

First time I even heard of the game. And I feel that the fact that I haven't heard of the game mentioned around is not the best recommendation, though it seems to be pretty recent, so maybe people just haven't gotten around to it.

What's the problem with either one?

I'm not an expert at it myself so I can't say much about it, but it feels very smooth and focuses more on being able to do stories than crunchy combat.

Yea I figured it was pretty new as I try to keep an eye out on stuff, I was hoping someone had heard of it, as Veeky Forums tend to know of strange and obscure games as well.

I wonder this as well.

My memery aside, cyberpunk is a genre that is extremely 80s, and does not fit with modern 21st century ideas at all. Playing "modernized" cyberpunk is like modernizing Star Trek; you just end up with something that seems indecisive as to whether it wants to be modern or stay true to the source material, and it's overall worse because of it.

As for rules-lite, one of the best parts of cyberpunk systems is the massive gear lists. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent pouring through 2020's chromebooks, or Shadowrun's shadowtech stuff. The deep mechanics supplement the style and make characters feel more unique and make the chrome and tech you get feel unique. That's just something not entirely replicatable in a rules-lite environment.

Okay, well. Not sure why you're here and not in the Shadowrun general.

Thanks for swinging by.

I don't actually like Shadowrun at all
I just came by to ree at you. It's your fault for asking why.

Bullshit. Cyberpunk is cyberpunk is cyberpunk.
It's first and foremost, primary a literature genre and it's not defined in the pages full of long lists of knick knacks with funny corp-names.

But the themes that applied to cyberpunk when it was actually a credible genre no longer apply. You change the core themes and styles, you change the genre.

>But the themes that applied to cyberpunk when it was actually a credible genre no longer apply.

>Governments being puppet-controlled by corporations
>Excessive capitalism
>People being forced to do what's necessary on the streets
>Extreme body modification
>Not relevant to the modern day

Cyberpunk is almost contemporary fiction, yo.

I think Powered by the Apocalypse rules are a plague on the hobby (a flavor-of-the-month plague, so it'll pass), but I am interested in the setting material for the The Veil. I remember a blurb saying it was kind of Matrix-y, with people living a dream-like virtual reality that blends with the real cyberpunk world?

Speaking of obscure narrativist cyberpunk games, anyone know anything about this one?

It even had a trailer and everything.
kickstarter.com/projects/ravendesk/vurt-the-tabletop-roleplaying-game