MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Fun cards are fun edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/commander#paper
youtu.be/953PkxFNiko
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Imagine there's a new, alternate EDH format where only cards that have been printed in the new, post-M15 frame are legal.

What would be some good generals to build and why?

Anybody else can't stand when people throw tantrums about stax-oriented decks? Its just another way to play the game. I also think it changes the game to something of a puzzle. obviously stax decks arent invincible, so you have to figure out how to use your limited resources most effectively to break their lock. It's just frustrating that so many edh players get flustered whenever they can't cast their random 8-drop jank.

[DISCLAIMER: WINTER ORB IS NOT FUN]

It's an emotional response. People want to play their fancy decks and have fun, and stax makes sure no such things occur.

>Its just another way to play the game.
and this "way of playing the game" is preventing everyone else from playing
i mean if you want to play solitaire why don't you just go play solitaire?

Even in an alternate format where he is the only legend, Noyan Dar would be unplayable

Yeah, played 2 games yesterday with my kozilek deck. In the first one I cast him turn 3 with haste and peoplr were like "wow", but nobody saw it as cheap, it was just ramp.

But when I got a shit hand in the second game and dropped a winter orb to try and catch up, and everyone lost their shit. I don't fucking get it.

But is it any worse than say, a removal spell? A stax generally stops you from casting the thing in the first place, while a removal spell still says "fuck you" but lets you spend the mana first. Interaction is part of the game.

Stax allows you to play the game just fine, if your durdle deck is too shit to dismantle a stax lock or disrupt it before it goes online, that's your fault.

It's not banned, therefore it is implicitly allowed and considered a legitimate strategy.

As I said, it is perceived as being worse, and that's the thing that counts the most.

>"I only ever play mono-5+ drops.dec"

>But is it any worse than say, a removal spell? A stax generally stops you from casting the thing in the first place, while a removal spell still says "fuck you" but lets you spend the mana first.
yes, it is worse
removal is saying "you started doing your thing, but i planned for it and prevented it and you can do the same to me"
stax is saying "none of you get to play at all, watch me play instead"
>hurr just make your entire deck into counterspells and artifact/enchanment hate if you want to play
where did i say it wasn't allowed
i said it was dumb

Anyone here ever get truly fucked by their lgs but still do it to help them? I sold 150 worth of cards yesterday to my shop and got 30% cash price. theyre a small shop so its the best they could do.

Because the first one I would assume you won the game shortly afterwards, correct?
Whereas the second game you just made everything take considerably longer without actually doing anything interesting.

I just picked him randomly, desu.

Honestly, in a M15-frame format, I think the precon commanders would dominate even harder than they do now.

>i play only control and stax decks which makes me qualified to understand how hard it is for other decks to fight stax

Funnest card comming the fuck through

I sometimes do this with a local player who buys/sells singles, but only because I'm too lazy to sell it online.

Still, 30% is a really bad deal regardless of whether you want to play charity for your LGS.

I play this in Yisan with lots of dorks.

Everyone gets angry when it drops.

I have lost to this card quite a few times, but I guess that is the price to pay for hermit druid being an almost guaranteed win...

I was really hard on money, and needed it badly or else i wouldnt have.I mean I sold him a fucking foil godless shrine in mint. that alone i could have gotten thirty EASILY for selling it myself. cool shit is since its such a small shop he runs credit on a tab, and will loan you decks for free to play in tournaments if you dont have a deck for it.

>becoming good at playing a style of deck makes you not know how to beat that deck
I hope for your sake that's meant to be bait.

This is me
He also sells eternal master packs for 14 a piece.

If your deck has any amount of interaction at all other than "play one shitty, overcosted threat every turn" then you really should have a chance against most decks anyway. Obviously sometimes nobody has anything and the stax deck takes control, but at a table of players with even the most basic understanding of the game that shouldn't happen every time.

Birds, noble heirarch and green ramp counter this card pretty well. Are you just trying to ball out too fast?

The guy is taking advantage of you and pretending he deserves it by being nice so you don't feel bad about getting robbed.

If he can't give you a good deal, he shouldn't get any deal at all.

I recently obtained a Tamiyo, field researcher and a winter orb and now I'm tempted to go all in with stax Derevi. Please help.

Alternatively I was considering clues as a theme.

How are you supposed to choose who to attack when playing voltron and getting big early?

He literally lives in the back of his shop. and thinks a turnout of 8 is huge to an fnm. Im not denying that hes charging too much to live but the dude is trying to live comfortably too.
I can't hate him for that.

>Please help.
You mean, help as in help build your deck, or help talk you out of building it?

The guy who will be the most salty if he loses

90% of the legendaries older than M-15 are already unplayable. What possible reason could you have for making "frontier" EDH other than your group is a bunch of faggots who think older cards are unilaterally broken

Go for the guy with most chance to blow your voltron. Alternati8vely go for the salt mine and laugh when he produces more salt.

Lel I got friends and was accused of samefagging, what a way to end a thread

Jesus that kind of dedication is right on the line of depressing, do you live in the backwoods of Australia?

It's not Frontier because it would include supplemental products.

The main reason is that I was interested in building a deck with only the new frames as a potentially interesting deckbuilding restriction.

For the first one, yeah, but in the second game we just played lands and I played artifact ramp and passed for 5-ish rounds (took less than 3 minutes), then it got destroyed (the turn after I played kozilek). But still for the entire game they whined about unfun stax and how they couldn't play the game, all in all winter orb didn't even survive for five minutes.

>playing this against a 4 color deck and a 5 color deck
>playing Vandalblast against artifact decks

best red feels

Contamination is better.

if you have a mature group who can play the game without being piss babies you attack the player who you know will be the biggest threat late game or the player who is getting close to going off himself

If your group is a bunch of pissbabies attack every player once then rotate, perhaps roll a die to "randomly" determine who gets hit first so their fees fees remain unhurt.

sounds retarded, hardly any of the old stuff is played anyway other than legacy/vintage tier staples, and most of that has been reprinted in the Commander precons.

Tripfag acting entitled, what a way to start a thread.

Nah, Middle Tennessee. He genuinely is a good guy, hes got like four cats and he's always got some hilarious shit playing on his shop tv. Hes rad as fuck. Shop opens at 12 allegedly but its usually 1230 or 1 because he was asleep. He also smokes weed and allows it to be smoked in his shop if all of the players agree to it.

Probably the latter since I'm not sure if it's the kind of deck that can be balanced between challenging and sadistic.

>sounds retarded
That argument has never stopped me before.

It's also mostly about aesthetics. I like how consistent the unmodified precons look.

So you're also fueling his degenerate lifestyle and drug addiction.

Okay.

Everyone plays black. People think red is the weakest color and refuse to play it.

>Not playing Infernal Darkness + Eon Hub

It shuts down Cabal Coffer and similar land users too

I mean, we can get into an actual debate on marijuana if you want, i'm plenty drunk for it. I cant use the stuff myself as it gives me panic attacks. But Im also not worried if a dude uses his business profits to buy some bud.

>There has been a constant stream of 40+ people Duel Commander tournaments in my city since the change to 20lp
>Standard, Modern, Frontier, etc. barely gather 8-12 people.
>Want to discuss and strategize to better my chances at winning
>Nobody fucking talks about this format online, Salvation is shit full of fags and slower than /n/. Goldfish has fucking Tiny Leaders metagame analysis but no DC, and other sites ignore it completely.

Why don't more people want to play and discuss the best eternal format?

>little fags who want to play competitive 1v1 """commander"""
Kids these days.

My LGS was doing this long before the Frontier craze started and even have a league for it.

Since most of out meta's post-M15 cards are already registered in LGS database, it is quite simple process of making a deck.

Stop.

This is retarded, manabases alone would ruin the format unless masterpieces count
>No shocklands
>No enemy fetchlands
>No filters
And even if masterpieces legalize these we have
>No ally painlands except UB
>UB, BR and WG Odyssey filters but no WU or RG
>Rocky Tar Pit but no other Mirage fetchlands
>BR, GR, GW, UW but not the other Checklands
>Enemy Manlands and GW but not the others
>No Tainted Isle or Tainted Peak
>No Temples
>No Tribelands except Murmuring Bosk.
>Not all Shardlands
>Not all Signets

It'd be super shitty and even more imbalanced, not to mention M15 onwards is the peak of the "uber OP threats with the shittiest answers possible" design, if it wasn't for FNM promo Path to Exile, EMA and MM15, we'd only have Fatal Push for good removal to deal with rhinos, eldrazi, gearhulks and fucking Breya.

You went full retard.

I'm not playing EDH to figure out how to break out of a prison lock. I have vintage for that. EDH is an inherently shit format that is only saved by people who also understand that fact but choose to not take advantage of the brokenness, or by noobs who love magic for cool plays. If you want to play competitive, go play something where everyone has the same desire. Not my fucking casual table/room on cockatrice.

It's the closest to Vintage/Legacy you can get these days. Modern has been neutered so hard that fucking Cheerios is Tier 1 now, and Standard is for the slow kids.

What should I put in the Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis MLD deck?

Blood from your wrists. And ruination/obliterate/jokulhaups.

But seriously, play something fun.

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/commander#paper

how come the top decks listed here are so cheap?

Then why not just do that for a commander deck for yourself? Not every restrictive deckbuilding concept needs its own format.

Fuck you guys for shitting on my LGS. It is still booming every FNM.

What exactly is he acting entitled to? Do you actually read anything Animal Brollective says, or do you just see he's a tripfag and start foaming at the mouth?

My store does "standard commander" on mondays. Unfortunately I got a job that makes sure I never have Monday night off but I enjoyed playing it during khans.

other than the manabase they're just the existing precon with 2 or 3 win conditions slotted in. The Atraxa deck there is almost entirely composed of garbage energy cards from Kaladesh

Infernal Darkness does not shut down Cabal Coffers, but Contamination does. Contamination changes 'the type and amount' while Infernal Darkness only changes type

Who is more based? Mono black players or mono red players?

How sweet and innocent.
Cutthroat competitive Meren would have to change 13 cards including Overgrown Tomb, Bayou, Verdant Catacombs and Woodland Cemetery.

You're not suddenly gonna find you in a new, open and fresh metagame. So rather than asking for a new format just convince your group to do it as a casual deckbuilding challenge, emphasis on CASUAL or you're gonna get anally probed by the local Spike.

Mono black, they have more than two commander choices and don't whine when you gain 4+ life.

>Le tutor for my infinite combo
vs
>I am going to blow up your lands you UBX faggot

Mono Red Players.

Mono-red players, they know true suffering and thus are the only ones capable to spreading it to other players.

How many camera's does your lgs have?
Are you allowed to criticize the store while inside, or will men in suits take you to the island then?

Prisons are booming too, Dracula.

The format would go from people playing the same 50 commanders to people playing the same 10 commanders
>There is no arcumm dagson or zur so therefore the format is better

>hidetsugu
>feldon
>ikki jikki
>krenko
>purphoros
>zada
>norin :^)
>zirilan
>kurkush
>daretti
>slobad
>bosh

Kurkesh* whoops

I want an obscure commander that isn't shit. I really don't want to bring the same commander as someone else.

Play MUD, then get back to me

build ruhan of the fomori

Tobias Andrion

Mono red, they know how to have fun while the tutor and reanimator babbies start crying when they dont have their cabal coffers and a full grip.

>>krenko
>>purphoros
>>daretti
Oh I'm sorry it's not two, it's three commanders for monored.

Anything from Legends.

Who has phelddagrif?

just pack an all is dust

Colorless you whiny vintage turd

Most LGS have camera's, even in the west. Thousand dollar cards are easy to steal you know. I live in a rough area.

We choose the follow the format. Where on earth does the notion of force come from?

I run Gwendlyn. She has power!

Define isn't shit

youtu.be/953PkxFNiko

Viable wihtout drawing instant and unanimous hate. Interactive without just comboing off. Maybe with an ability that can be built around but also useful by itself.

>MUD
>not being as broken, if not more so than UG

top tier mono red decks are pretty much mono brown in disguise

AtogAtog

Volrath the Fallen

You choose to follow the format, just like how people with stockholm syndrome "choose" to defend their captors.

I can't believe police state LGS user is posting and he isn't getting more flak.

what enchantment hate can i play in red?

My group used to have a rule where nothing older than Theros could be used. I gently persuaded them to rethink this, as deck choices would be horribly limited.

By "gently persuaded" I mean I built whatever the hell I wanted and destroyed them, making them step up their deckbuilding.

Arbitrary cutoffs for non-rotating formats are a bad thing.

>police state LGS user is posting
WHERE

I am new to commander and pretty new to magic in general

I heard the prebuilt decks are pretty good, which one is best in terms of upgrading it over the long-term to be a good deck?