Hey Veeky Forums, just got back from finishing a campaign for descent in about 25+ hours...

Hey Veeky Forums, just got back from finishing a campaign for descent in about 25+ hours. We are probably never doing that again, everyone hates themselves by the time we defeated the overlord.

What stories do you have of your gaming group doing the campaign version of a game or just a play session that went longer than one reasonably should be?

>25+ hours
In one go?

Why?

Because we hate ourselves apparently, our friend Q wanted to see if we could do it, and we did, some of us had to take shifts.

Is the app any good?

Well thats just torture. That game is meant to be played in sessions! But hey, be proud, not all can sit down and do this in one go. Problem is, as you say, your now tired of the game an probably wont ever play it again.

Well, I'm the Talisman guy over at traditional board games. Just had a long discussion on that games play time, as me and my friends are dragging out a good 6h+ on 4 players, which apparently is to long according to most players.

FF themselves say it can be done in 90 minutes, which is absolute bullshit. Best so far I have heard is 30-45 min/player depending on how focused people are. And in our case, we are just to damn new to the game to know when to make our move, and how to take the best route.

Not OP but the app is really cool and does a good job of running the game for you and changing the incentives from Gotta Go Fast to a more hack and slashy gameplay. The only thing is that it's brutal as fuck compared to the default game.

Can you ignore the moral system?
Does the app include the campaigns from the base game and expansions, or does it just have some of them?

Nobody wants to be the fucking overlord in our group, so the app would be a lifesaver. I'm wondering if the app has the same replay value as the actual game without it.

Use the app, Jesus Christ don't force some poor sap to sit through 25 hours as the OL getting roflstomped

>Play through the entire app campaign with 4 friends
>Final mission
>Hours in
>App starts telling us to take 10 dmg per turn for minor peril
>2 rounds later 20dmg per turn
>10 rounds later 100dmg per turn severe peril
>mfw

Didn't FF scrap the original campaign and rewrite the whole thing?

>tfw no one wants to play the new book because of bad memories

>Nobody wants to be the fucking overlord in our group
This is why we ended up modding new campaigns for Castle Ravenloft and Myth while Descent gathers dust in our shelf. And no, the app doesn't quite solve the problem as points out it suddenly goes TPK mode for the lulz.

Can't you just fucking ignore the morale and peril shit?

Also, how is the dungeon crawl in Ravenloft (and the other games in the series) compared to Descent?

I think I played a one-shot before deciding it was too fiddly. Some friends carried on and the overlord got sick of it after three or four sessions.

I like them a lot more on the crawler aspect since the board is randomized and "events" act as traps and shit much better than the equivalent in other games. But they can be very brutal, specially Leyend of Drizzt (if you're not playing as Drizzt who is OP) with volcanic vent tiles that are a dime a dozen exploding randomly and fucking you up.

In my opinion they're the perfect inbetween of something like DungeonQuest that's super shallow and 90% RNG that will insta-kill you no matter how you strategize, and Descent that's flavorfully immersive but isn't random/different enough from session to session so that there's true replay value and you can't just metagame it into a racing game against the DM.

Yeah you can easily ignore the peril shit, especially when you don't feel like restarting a 3 hour mission.

>Be the Forever DM
>Friends want you to be the Forever Overlord as well

Does the app limit the replay value because it has a limited set number of campaigns or is it the same shit as when you play with a Overlord?

It has two decent length campaigns as standard, with multiple sidequests. You get more sidequests based on the amount of board expansions you own.

They just released another full length campaign for around $5.

The replay comes with doing different sidequests as you can't choose them all. Don't think any of the main campaign changes.

The campaigns are limited but Travel Steps make things just a bit different everytime. Those differences can make a big deal or not depends on how much plastic you own, if you have all expansions it'll be fresh every time. If you don't, you don't.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

This thread got me thinking what my "perfect" crawler would be like.
>D&D AS's procedural board system
>D&D AS's character customization
>DungeonQuest's board-size restriction and terrain maneuverability
>Conan's Health/Stamina system
>Myth's AI Overlord system
>Descent's inter-Quest modifiers
>A Darksiders/Diablo/Overwatch cartoony but not cutesy art style because "realistic" minis never look good.
>HeroQuest's Plastic furniture

How bout you?

If you are really into the game buy the expansions for this edition while you can, i think it's gw ip and thus it will no longer be under ff domain. The game simply demands expansions, otherwise it quickly becomes stale and boring.

The app includes stuff from whatever expansions you have but that's pretty much the only customization you can get. I don't know if it was just me but the app AI tends to optimize it's stuff for quests so if you have the most functional creatures/lieutenants for a given quest it'll use those and nothing else while a human overlord may go for the most flavorful instead.

I have not actually played Descent yet, although I have the core set and one of the hero/monster packs.

My biggest complaint is that some of the minis are absolute crap, like the zombies and goblin archers. I've seen some cool paint jobs on some of the bigger monsters, but man some of the smaller ones are terrible.

Op here
We're planning on doing the game in three months, I'll be the overlord and we'll only be doing a mini campaign.
We feel really bad actually, he was confident he was going to be brutal and trounce us, but we ended up breaking his overlord and his spirits.
I believe so, but my friend had the campaign book and we went with it. I'm running Trollfens next time I believe.

They do show their age. Then again the D&D minis are older and relatively decent.
We're beign spoiled by the Conans and KD:Ms of today.

Already ahead of you. Only missing the deep realms and the nether realms, mostly due to the ridiculous price hike on those two (seriously, like $13 to $130... wtf?!?).

Well it is a fun game your playing, but we grew tired of it due to the fact that it was to damn hard for the Overlord to actually win at any point. And most of the time, none of the campaign really made any major impact on the final battle, which made it so even though we as player had won a clear majority of the games, none of this would have mattered at the final scene anyway (apart from a minor bonus).
Don't get me wrong, I will play the shit out of this game when my son and his friends comes to age, but for a group of players who have a history of board games it was just to easy to break in my opinion.