/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: Edgy warlocks edition

> New Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the survey for Rangers and Rogues.
sgiz.mobi/s3/88d00d488e70

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
Warlock arcana will be released just in four hours or so. What are your expectations?
I think they'll try to "fix" bladelock* by releasing a melee-focused pact, like Hexblade or something like that.

* - "Fix" is in quotation marks because there's nothing there to fix. It's just a pact boon, not even a pact, it's not supposed to make you as good at melee as an actual melee class.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for gunpowder is totally fine.

Anybody play around with the firearm/modern armor rules? I'm wanting to do a high fantasy modern-ish game (Great War era).

More patrons like a djinn/elemental, a hag, hell even an aberration like an Elder Orb or Ultralithid.

Stop using DnD for inappropriate games.

I think this is something I always struggle with, but my usual DM always glosses over the party coming together, so it is never an issue. Just not sure where to start with that.

Should i align my Character's motivations with theirs? Is it a good idea to make a reason why they NEED to be with other people?

What are some good reasons, that are not setting specific, for adventuring with a/the party.

Forgot to bring up wolf barbarians again and the fact that prone enemies require you to crossbow within 5ft which means you've lost the benefit of being ranged temporarily.
Also forgot ot mention being in melee giving you potential reaction attacks, though that loses your uncanny dodge. Battlemasters can already grant ranged rogues sneak attacks though and they might not need to uncanny ddoge.

But, for the most part, whoever said 'swashbuckler is great' is wrong, and that's what I'm against. It's good, especially for those who want to play in that way, want to play solo or just don't understand all the AT fuckery. But otherwise, AT is generally better and for non AT non swashbucklers hand crossbows are probably best.

> Hag
That's mostly fey. Unless they are fiends.
> Aberration
That's great old ones.

Are there rules for spell trees?

Pact boons were never the archetype choice, thats patron.
Pact boons just give you last resort melee options, plus some utility, in varying ratios

Expect new PATRONS, pacts are fine.

Woudn't Mystic take 3 make more sense to be released today?

It's Warlock and Wizard. The link is already up, but will give you 403 error atm.

Is it really that easy to sneal attack with the swashbuckler?
Is max cha requirement?

It's easy to sneak attack with any kind of rogue. The class was based around that idea.

In the case of a hag, I feel as though it would be more of a witch, with ritual casting and something similar to a Hag's coven, combine with two friendly characters and all three of you get a short spell list and a few casts.

And maybe with aberrations, but I'd like to see something less "Eldritch Horror that cannot be explained but can only be described as ancient and powerful". Maybe something with eye rays or or psychic powers that are closer to a mind flayer than what the Great Old One currently has.

There's actually firearms right in the 5E DMG, which is why I think most people were surprised at that guy chimping the fuck out about firearms.

it's apatently being released after the wizard.

It's really not inappropriate. The game is about the struggle of magic trying to reclaim a foothold in a setting where modernity threatens to wipe it out. Not even "magic vs science/technology"- magic is quite literally dying in a world fueled by adventurism.

It's "The Neverending Story" with guns,

the Mystic will be released after the wizard UA.

Yeah that's where I'm getting the rules from, I was asking if anyone's ever played with those rules though. If it's half-baked, I'd like to know before committing to them.

Naw, they're perfectly fine. Even letting the players throw barrel bombs full of gunpowder is less broken than a Lore Bard is. They're underpowered if anything, since you can't use Smite with them or anything.

I'm legit using that necromancer/alchemist NPC from the other thread to send zombies with bombs in them after PCs. Seems baller as fuck.

Good to know, thanks.

Alternatively, one of my players wants to be a gunsmith artificer- so what I could do is just reflavor the existing ranged weapons to be "early" firearms, while her artificer gun is an experimental prototype. It might help satisfy the power fantasy at any rate.

If one of the player wanted to be a Gunsmith Artificer, I'd basically rip off the Eldritch Blast modifying invocations that Warlocks get and place them as keystones every few levels as gun modifications. Can make the gun fire longer, in bursts, different elements, etc.

Would be pretty cool.

In a party with two rogues, a ranger, an artificer, a warlock, and a paladin, where 5 of 6 are high damage long range, what would you throw at them to keep it interesting? Party is level 2, and just took out three ogres and 8 hobgoblins. I'm thinking displaced beasts or quicklings, what would you guys throw at them.

Oh that's good, I'm totally stealing that. Not a hell of a lot of customization in the Artificer, sad to say, but I think my player will enjoy that a bunch.

Enemies behind cover.
Making them have to come to the enemies rather than the enemies coming to them.

I wouldn't look at specific monsters- I'd look at environment. What scenarios can you establish and set up that would put your ranged characters at a significant disadvantage? What kind of ambush monsters could take advantage of their, relatively exposed, backline?
Think about geography, environment, and hazards and you'll be able to come up with some really compelling scenarios.

>6 players
Jesus christ man

Can a friendly user post a good picture for a Rod of the Vonindod from SKT? My players have one and I'd like to give them a handy card with the abilities and a picture of it

>six man party

I'd kill myself.

There's no way to balance this appropriately. Anything that's strong enough to handle getting lumped on for 6 actions compared to its 1 is either going to one-shot whoever it hits, or be a useless HP sponge.

Too many dudes.

How do you not have it? Are you running the module without the book or something?

He just said he wants a good picture to make a card out of it.

Maybe he doesn't have a scanner, or is interested in ripping a fucking page out of his book.

Nigga just wants a high quality picture.

Try MMO boss mechanic? Boss that spawn mooks (no extra exp) or attack specific areas?

There are 7 in my game where I am a player. And as a DM I run 2 Campaigns of 4 and 3 Players.

7 Person party
>Homebrew Aaracokra Divination Wizard (My character)
>Dwarf Battlemaster
>Tiefling Fiend Chain Lock
>Human Variant GOO Bladelock
>Wood Elf Nature Cleric
>Dwarf Hunter Ranger(Melee oriented)
>Dwarf Moon Druid

This is very true imo. We fought a Drider the other day and it has 3 attacks and took down the Chain-lock with some bow attacks really quickly. Just focused him down. Which made sense because it had a special vendetta with him. But still, the player was upset cause he was basically unconscious for the majority of the battle. Our Cleric sucks, he cast Spare the Dying and didnt heal at all.

I'm pretty sure the book didn't have a picture of it, but I may be wrong. Like the second user said, I just want a good picture of something that matches its description

>he cast Spare the Dying and didnt heal at all
Bro he's reserving his spell slots bro.

I fucking hate it when people who are bad at casters play casters.

>Playing usual death save rules
>Not using variants like fighting spirit that are 'Well, you won't be unconscious the entire fight, but you'll have to save your ass unless you want to die'.

Have smart enemies. Ranged attacks (Attacks not within 5ft) won't benefit from certain autocrits, will have disadvantage against prone targets and will have -5 to hit past three-thirds cover or -2 to hit past half-cover or past another character/player.

Yeah that seems like a great idea

This works pretty well too, I'm always trying to come up with interesting terrain I should use it to the best advantage.

Yeah I know

I think I should keep in mind what I did last encounter, never one guy, always a bunch. I get through enemy turns pretty quick so as long as I keep to that I'll be fine.

I'll keep that in mind too, I'm already making custom enemies so I might as well try that as well.

I'm not trying to be an ass just genuinely curious. I guess I could get off of my ass and look at the book

I remember you. How's your sad Chain-lock problem going?

I have the book as well as the ripped PDF from the archive. I'm just at work and don't have the hard copy on me, and after checking the PDF the book does not in fact have a picture. It has the description but no image

If he did something actually useful with his slots, that's not a problem.

If he's just using cantrips and not using real spells, there's a problem.

Something they have to "defeat" via non-lethal means. Maybe they have to bind it, maybe shove it underwater since it can't climb back out; but either way damaging it doesn't stop it.
Such a thing doesn't have to be very lethal to the party either, maybe it only has a very basic low damage attack and is easy to dodge/out maneuver entirely; but instead of just blasting it like other encounters, they have to actually think of a plan and try different ideas to immobilize it, otherwise it will just keep on coming at them.
Generally the easiest way to keep things interesting for a party that outright nukes anything you place in front of it is make them have to think for 5 seconds beyond "what will do the most damage to this thing" and have to actually work as a team and do something different.

Yeah I just looked. No pic. I could take a picture of my rod but this is a sfw board

No level specified. Say they're level 5. Casting Spectral Guardians or Blindness/Deafness on round 1 and then fucking shit up with your weapon and cantrips for the rest of the fight is a good use of spells.

All he did the entire time was use his Spiritual Weapon to attack, he didn't even use any other spell slots.

He didn't know at the time that the attack for SW uses a Bonus Action so thats all he did every round.
Afterwards i asked him what spell he was using and looked it up and explained how it properly worked.

Mind you, this is the guy who made a Cleric whose diety is "Mother Earth" but picked Life Domain until about halfway through the session.
>Fighting a Roc
Me
>Hey Cleric-bro, you gonna cast some speak with animals and tell this Roc to bugger off?
Cleric
>I don't have that spell
Me
>You're nature cleric right?
Cleric
>Well my diety is Mother Earth so....
Me
>What is your domain?
Cleric
>Life. It seemed the best fit
Me
>And not the Nature Domain?
Cleric
>There's a nature domain

Head
Desk
Dice everywhere

Seriously needs to be restrictions on players who want to play casters. Need like a session before playing to discuss how things work and do tutorial spellcasting.

He's better, though still a bit salty, he is a newer player so he's still in the "Power Trap" of D&D where he did something super awesome one time and is now trying to force it to happen all the time and gets really salty when it fails or the DM rules on the side of No.
I am seriously thinking of retiring my Wizard to play a Bard or something to play a more supportive role in the party.
Divination Wizard is good, but I only have 2 portent die, i can't help everyone.

The point is that people who don't know how to play casters usually end up either never using them and thus being mostly useless, or else using them completely inefficiently and end up still being mostly useless.

>All he did the entire time was use his Spiritual Weapon to attack, he didn't even use any other spell slots.

This is fine. Healing burns through spell slots too quickly and is inefficient relative to incoming damage.

>He didn't know at the time that the attack for SW uses a Bonus Action so thats all he did every round.

That's a problem. He needs to use Sacred Flame or his weapon too.

I feel you bro.

I was implying in-combat healing is useless 99% of the time bro, chill out

>Need like a session before playing to discuss how things work

That's actually a thing called Session 0. The DM is supposed to run it where the game isn't going to be played but you help them with chargen and explain how stuff works.

Well, you're right. Except for Healing Word.

Because Bonus Action.

chadbrochill
It's only usually useless when people aren't unconscious.
The minute anyone's hp drops to 0, it becomes incredibly highly valuable.

And that's only good if it will bring someone back into the fight. If Numbnuts McFighter is at 20 HP out of 45 or whatever, it's a waste of a slot.

How do I, as a player, help resolve this issue?

Make sure he learns something every session, soon enough he will become self aware and figure out all these amazing things. Just don't be too annoying about it.

You can't force him to do research on optimal uses of spells and run thought experiments for when a spell is useful or what spells might be a good idea to prepare for the day.

You can, however, always *talk* about spells that the other person has and say things like "x spell is so great in z situation - it does a whole lot of y". Which is what I always do, because treating someone like a babby spellcaster (even if they might actually be one) sometimes comes across as overbearing, while dropping hints about spells being good generally doesn't.

Maybe?

Well, yeah. It's not to be used as generic healing, but as an "oh shit" button, since 5E doesn't have negative HP, it's hilariously strong.

Did any older editions have lower level versions of Symbol or something similar to it? I need to come up with some powers/spells with a writing/drawing theme.

I sent him an email with a website that he can use to print out his spells on paper, and i told him it would be easier than having to flip through the book everytime he's looking for a spell to cast.

Maybe making his information more readily available will make him more active. Character Sheets are really poorly equipped for all the info casters need.

d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiveRunes.htm

That's an option on Glyph of Warding in 5e.

It's close, but the prongs are throwing me off. I was envisioning a solid rod of blue steel-esque metal

As per the book description it has two prongs on one end and a molded handle on the other. Made me think of a mancatcher so I just googled that

Almost there

Oh, I must be retarded then. Thank you!

It's like a dowsing rod, right?
The way it's used, at least

That's useful

Anything else with a writing/drawing theme that's not already in 5e? I tried looking at the 4e stuff for the Mark of Scribing but they decided that something called "Scribing" should be about talking.

No it's used like one would hold a magic wand. It's sized for a giant, so it's about big enough to be that sized

>I tried looking at the 4e stuff for the Mark of Scribing but they decided that something called "Scribing" should be about talking.

That's an Eberron thing, the Mark gives them the ability of long distance communication.

The 3.5 stuff had more written communication in it. Don't know why 4e went for that truenaming stuff on the paragon class.

>playing Artificer Wizard because I eventually want to make cool magic stuff for the party
>check over Master Artificer again
>only able to make A and B table stuff, half of which I'm already able to do anyway just with class features and the rest of which I'm not terribly interested in
fug

> Artificer wizard
You had it coming

>making cool magic stuff for the party is bad somehow
Yeah okay, sure.

The only thing that archetype is good for is mass producing rank 3 healing potions.
And even then - even WITH the alchemist feat from the feats UA - it's still way worse than a lore bard who takes aura of vitality.

Re: oil vs Alchemist's Fire in the last thread, I mentioned my backtracking to the DM and she said she was going to make oil the same price as Alchemist's Fire because she already likes the idea of me trying to earn 16,000gp to get it.

I wonder what that'll do for the local economy.

WotC is terrified of PCs being able to create items in this version.

Making your own platemail takes like 300 days and all kinds of gold. It's fucking retarded.

It's faster to be a Wizard to level up to 7 (less than in-game week) and then cast fabricate than actually making a platemail

How does it feel to be objectively wrong?

Congratulations - nobody who isn't magic or ultra rich can now see further than 10-feet in the dark without dark vision, since all they have is fucking candles.

The rate at which leveling happens is way too fast in general (also less than a week is overstating it), and fabricate staying on the spell list, at such a low level was really dumb of the devs.

I'd be okay with the realism of it if it wasn't for wizards getting an out with fabricate. They should just have made it not interact with tool proficiency at all.

Your dm is a moron. Oil is incredibly easy to make and harvest. People used fish oil, whale fat, olive oil, linseed oil, etc etc etc to light shit up.

Can you guys explain why you think leveling is to quick? I only play once a month, so it doesn't feel quick for me. lol.

To be fair, if PCs stroll into a town and want to buy like a thousand barrels of oil, I don't know if the local economy can PROVIDE that much oil on demand quickly.

But I agree, I'd sooner derail the whole campaign and get some druids to start shapeshifting into whales and cutting chunks of themselves off, and then being set back to normal HP when they shift back, and use the chunks to make oil and become my own oil baron.

Then I'd make a barrel bomb factory just to piss that other autist from the last thread off.

He was worried about free gunpowder, but he should have been worried about infinite druid oils.

The whole event in LMoP happen in like a week span. That can get you from level 1 to 5.

>try to be neutral evil
>just want to blow up some buildings
>prompt the DM to vastly raise the global price of oil
>cause far more evil by economics than I can by explosions

Life is a fine domain for a nature diety

Also, a Roc is a monstrosity. Speak with Animals would not affect it

Hey, at least you get to choose from the tables.
The UA artificers don't even have that.

I can agree with 1-4 being a quick progression because classes only really come online at specialization (and first feat is a good spot to significantly slow down progression, plus it seems like most NPC templates are more or less weak versions of level 3-4 characters)

I feel like each level above 4 should almost feel like getting the previous levels combined if not more.

>try to be Lawful Good
>just want to give my gold to the peasants
>oversaturate their small local market, driving the value of gold down to almost nothing
>people are trading sacks of gold for loaves of bread
>hyperinflation kicks in and the people start to starve
>accidentally recreate the conditions of the Weimar Republic, allowing a higher Cha commoner than the rest to be granted special permissionary powers by the local government
>he annexes the nearest township
>rapid militarization occurs to match his philosophy that the town requires lebensraum for growth
>suddenly gnomes are being genocided

UH

My DM specifically told me that he put the Roc there for the Nature Cleric to talk to via Speak with Animals. We aren't super strict with the rules, which kinda bugs me, but i can get over it.

The Cleric actually wanted to play a domain closer to nature and animals and druid stuff. He just didn't read past Life Cleric.

>He just didn't read past Life Cleric

>A barrel of oil costs five times as much as a suit of plate armour

cause he's a scrub. We were scheduled to play from Noon-6

Everyone got to the DMs place and we shot the shit for a bit and didn't start till 1pm, which is fine.

Around 5pm i notice the cleric is just sitting there on his phone
>Yea i attack with spiritual weapon
>roll roll
>says damage
>thats my turn

I ask him if he's bored.
>Nah, i'm just spent. I was done like 2 hours ago.

Checks out after 2 hours of play when we specifically said "we're planning on playing for ~6 hours.

Yeah, my DM has a penchant for doing random stuff for her own entertainment.

>randomly spawns dragons that swoop down and instakill members of the party if they do something like trying to burn down the forest with her favourite city in
>banned having multiple unseen servants because she didn't like the player using them all
>randomly added a ban on music in an area of the world mid-game to piss off the bard

I knew once I realised oil would be cheaper than AlchFire that she wouldn't let me get away with it, that there'd be some reason I couldn't get around it. It's the way she operates.

So I'm thinking of doing a timed dungeon crawl for my players.

Only it's honey-I-shrunk-the-kids style. A gnome enlists them to delve into a dungeon for him and eradicate whatever is spawning these nightmarish creatures.

The creatures are ants and he wants them to be pest control. Find the queen, and take her out. While also poisoning their food supply.

They're gonna be shrunk down to the size of ants themselves, naturally. And the potion that shrunk them will have a duration of 5 hours.

One of the party members can communicate simply with small beasts, which I think will be helpful as he translates for them if they need to.

All of their magic and weapon attacks will be "to scale" as it will take more than just 1 point of damage to kill an ant while this size.

The boss of course will be in the throne room of the queen, who has managed to procure an ioun stone of intellect which will explain why they've so far been outsmarting the gnome who has been trying to exterminate them for month after he caught them eating his crackers.

Thoughts for some interesting challenges in this ant hill dungeon? Thinking of looking to some mindflayer dungeons for inspiration as well.

Your party might need a new DM

and you are the DM your party needs.