/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Pagan Priest Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread
We finally made it past the bump limit last thread!
And had a migration post before the other one died.
Rejoice!

Other urls found in this thread:

kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=French_Army
henrys-wargaming.co.uk/?p=2492
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205907/runewars-miniatures-game
reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b01_7litreF.php
irregularwars.blogspot.co.nz/2015/12/constructing-downtown-berytos.html
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=90856.0
planetares6.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/city-expansion-report.html
mega.nz/#!V99UATLZ!ANYg-JXDTUN1w-5h3ZuNyiUUvTOEiUfcTvC0UIPEFbI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>We finally made it past the bump limit last thread!
The last three threads or so have achieved this.

>TFW i can only play historicals now

Noone to play with, or you don't feel like playing anything else?

Has anybody played much Konflikt '47? Do the reactions change the game all that much?
I've been playing Bolt Action for nearly a year now and got some of the British Heavy Infantry and I'm gonna have a game with them Thursday hopefully.

the latter

Does AK47 republic go here or should I talk about that on the modern wargames thread?

It goes in historicals

>The last three threads or so have achieved this.
Really?
I kind of had in mind that we had a bad run with the last three before the one we just had. Oh well, all the better.

That's the better case - don't worry, you'll get back to others eventually.

reposting from plast thread Hey, this might be a bit of a long shot, but does anybody have some of the Antares humans and the Warlord Celtic Warriors or the Frostgrave Barbarians?
I'm considering kitbashing the 20 Concord troops from the starter with either of those kits to make some feral Mhagris as start of an Freeborn force. I'm not sure if the kits will match up in terms of scale. I'm a bit more worried about the Frostgrave minis because I assume that at least the scales of the Warlord minis are somewhat consistent internally, but I'd still love to see a size comparison. The Frostgrave minis have nicer heads though, or at least I was able to find decent pictures of them.

Would this be the thread for asking about Weird War 2 stuff?
I've realized I've got a pretty good sized collection of mid-late war Germans and Americans, and I've been thinking about expanding it to include some fantasy stuff. Does anyone have any recommendations or particular favorite rule systems/miniature companies? I'd also love to hear any stories of how it compares to doing a straight up historical game.

What scale?

If you already play Bolt Action K47 is an easy choice. But its more sci-fi weird than fantasy weird.

I bought a sprue of 5 Warriors and another of 5 Cultists for Frostgrave. I've seen a few bits that I want to make certain models, but gamewise is there anything I should consider assembling?

For FG? Doesn't matter, they'll die.

I'd recommend focusing a bit more on the cheaper soldiers and don't waste your gold on expensive units until you've played a few games. Maybe you'll want to get a nicer model for them too by then.
Anyway, trackers are pretty good. Build one of those.

Dark Age posted some pics of what's in the new 2 player starter for Dark Age coming out in March.

Ugh. The colors.

>That moment when Antares hasn't dropped any heavy armor for any of the factions yet.

Not cool...

Yeah, the orange plastic is really hard to make out the detail on.

Any heavy gear anons on? I remember one of them saying we might get a new kickstarter come june.

This jovian wars game is really wrecking my vibe in hoping for new minis for the game.

Is it just me or does every rank and file game basically boil down to

>Line up dudes
>Move them up and proceed to beat the shit out of each other

Anyone with more experience mind explaining it a little bit more to me because that's about what it looks like.

It can degenerate that way if the game's designed badly, or the scenario, particularly. You need a bit of room to move. You need stuff that can fuck with flanks, and the ability to force a break in the line.

But then, I play a historical period known for being all about giant straight lines drawn across the battlefield and still get more manoeuvre than most /awg/ games.

One suggestion I've seen used to good effect is to play on a wider, squarer table - say 6' square, or 8'x6'. Have armies start in opposite corners - and really the corners, not just diagonal battle lines - and give them some objectives to take. That way you get lights rushing out while the lines shake out into formation, cavalry supporting and artillery moving up to good firing locations.

Basically, just play good scenarios like the table top teaser series. Straight-up line-bashing is the least interesting form of play.

Any rank and files systems you'd recommend user? I'm down for anything as long as it's fun and I can really hobby out on the models

anyone know where to get this miniature?

i have a need

Eh, I just play Grant's The War Game for my C18 historicals, with the artillery rules from Young's Charge! because I don't like the way the Grants do it. The actual rules are less important though, Featherstone works fine.

It's... it depends on what kind of hobbying out you want to do. If you're like me, you have monopose infantry battalions with uniforms of varying historical accuracy and a scattering of officers & other such figures. That sounds dull to some people, but you get variety in trim/facings even among units with the same basic uniform, and it's a period where you can have people in very different colour coats fighting on the same side.

Plus, I'm doing it with loosely-assembled fictional nations so I can steal the best uniforms from other nations (that prussian regiment with blue coats and pink trousers, absolutely have to have them) and toss in a few out-of-period units.

I have three small forces, working on a fourth before I expand any of them, and generally combine elements of two of them into one army - pseudo- russians, prussians & french at the moment. The russians have basically the same uniforms for each unit, the prussians have a bit more variety, and the french are... well. kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=French_Army Two french units in white (with different other colours), a german unit in blue coats, and an irish unit in red coats.

Plenty of scope for hobbying.

But it's not exactly fantasy, despite my intention to eventually field a couple of flintloque units. Well, maybe it sometimes is fantasy. I have used a wizard once or twice.

anyway, have a link to a pretty game with plenty of manoeuvre with big battalions: henrys-wargaming.co.uk/?p=2492

I should note that I'm one of those "build both sides, invite people to play a game" types.

You mention flintloque and that reminds me.

Does anyone here know of any good sources of fantasy napoleonics, any scale.

I could do with some miniature sources for a project I'm working on right now.

>gargants are priced at astronomical levels on ebay
>find factory sealed mega-gargant for like 25 bucks

Sheeit.

I have too many Epic armies already though. I paint about 1500 points then suddenly get the urge to paint a different army.

Well user I really want to thank you and you definetely seem like you know what you're talking about.

As really a rookie to the hobby can I ask your opinion on a game I was recommended that was coming out by a store owner? A game called Runewars: Miniatures game. Dude said it'd be a great starter rank and file game and he said it was coming out soon and I might be able to get a deal on it.

Can I get your opinion on the system?

That would be Flintloque. Don't know of any others, sorry.

There's some overlap into VSF, I suppose - you might get some later 19th century small wars stuff that overlaps back into napoleonics, martian city-state stuff, space 1889? Hinterland miniatures if you want women - maybe their hussars would work.

Not sure but god do I love Noble Armada.

I'm so hyped. Two factions I love and delicious new Ice Caste sculpts.

Yeah; that orange is pretty bad. But judging from the Dargyri the details should be pretty good.

New KS this summer(might get bumped back) for NuCoal and PRDF, the Jovian Wars one launches in a few days.

It's new and looks a bit rubbish to me, but it's also expensive by miniatures standards. It's more of a board game?

You might find more useful information on it here: boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/205907/runewars-miniatures-game

Problem is I tend to buy miniatures and play them with whatever rules I have handy, I don't like buying into specific games with specific toy soldiers as much, which means while I'd happily play Runewars Miniatures, if I was buying it for myself I'd be thinking about the price per figure and if it's really worthwhile... and there's just not enough there for me. Also, don't quite like the style.

What I'd really recommend is that you find some local gamers, a club or something, and see what they play. You might be able to sit in on some games if they're not dicks, play half someone's army, or straight-up borrow an army for a learning game or two. Find people playing something and join that. Just watch out for people who get all enthusiastic about a certain game for a month then drop it forever.

This is what I was expecting, looks like I've got some converting to do then.

Perry plastics with alternate heads? Not everyone in the period has to wear shakos.

because they're shit hats

Well of course Mega-Gargs are cheapo, they functionally got written out of the last edition. Literally too big to effectively play.

--------------

Also, anyone got any good, obscure 6mm terrain vendors. Constantly seeking new building models. Someday I plan to cover the entire table and do space Stalingrad.

that's what paint is for hey

Well, yeah, but there's no reason not to use it as a Great Gargant.

OCD about wysiwyg-tting your weapon mounts and it just being easier to find a correct model or the same amount of effort to scratch build something.

Further, you should poke at some of the gents who do the new third party stuff for epic to make some kind of 'Macro-Skinners Walking Temple" or some such bull shot.

For building a space stalingrad you're really better off cheating. Make some templates and cut a bunch of cardboard ruined skyscrapers, give them a quick paint job and some rubble on the base.

Might be a bit huge, but reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b01_7litreF.php and similar things can look surprisingly good with a little work. Turn it upside-down, slap some thin card into the windows, spray and drybrush.

I've seen some good stuff with building blocks - irregularwars.blogspot.co.nz/2015/12/constructing-downtown-berytos.html for instance. You can adapt the technique. Also, printed stickers on smooth surfaces, and building basic structures out of duplo and lego (or knock-offs) - just build a basic tower of cheap bricks with interesting shapes.

Perry miniatures are actually not a bad idea for a base, I'm definitely going to need to get me some of their plastic boxes for general purpose conversions.

The absolute best way to make a bunch of boxes into a city is wires. Add wires. Telegraph poles and power lines around smaller buildings, aerials on tall ones, washing lines between nearby apartments, random cables add a lot and they're really surprisingly easy to do.

>irregularwars.blogspot.co.nz/2015/12/constructing-downtown-berytos.html

Interesting concepts, but it really is more something of a really long term vision to justify to my cohabitants why I need to keep buying and painting tiny buildings.

>I've already got at least half the table, more if we use significant urban forest parks, a river, and let the rail yards run through it. Less if we decide to up the ante to 4x8. I need to make some more roads though.

Is any getting Star Saga?

Mantic just released a render for one of their KS exclusive figures, Blaine.

He's a big guy.

>I've seen some good stuff with building blocks
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=90856.0 is what I was thinking of and trying to find.

planetares6.blogspot.co.nz/2015/01/city-expansion-report.html has more pics and talks about how the buildings were made.

Perhaps a bit clean for you, but sometimes you want a nice clean city.

>Less if we decide to up the ante to 4x8
Don't stop there.

>Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.

:(

So, then, scour the interwebs and help me.

The link works for me? Change the extension to co.uk maybe, Veeky Forums doesn't like that domain.

Success.

Interesting read, but I admit that I've gotten rather fussy about what's wothy. Got a fair stack of JR shit that's semi-permanently consigned to the barrio shelf.

>Be FFG with a new
>Let's launch a game with only two factions
>Let's also make it more expensive than our cempetitors

What in the fuck is FFG doin with their new miniatures game? Do they think it will survive? This coming to from a guy who doesn't hate the sculpts for the minis unlike others too. I just don't get it.

Those Ice Caste are so sexy. Have they announced a price for the set yet?

$100 for the starter ian't awful. You get a decent number of models, cards, all the templates and the rules.

Now $25 for four infantry models? That I have a harder time with.

They've been saying around the $70-80 range.

Not a bad deal for splitting. $35-40 for a 400 pts. force.

It looks fooking awful and I hope it ends up costing them dearly! If they can't learn from other companies then they deserve what they get!

Can't understand why they are doing it. Wizkids killed d&d attack wing, kings of war is already better. Hell even wrath of kings is preferable!

>looks fooking awful and I hope it ends up costing them dearly
that's a bit of an insane overreaction m9

28mm (ish). I've basically got that "infantry platoon or two and a couple tanks" level of force for both sides. Enough for some pretty good sized games, but ideal for skirmishing.

Dang, they are steping they game again, this one looks good with the bio-weapon and the armor. Of course until it is cast you can't be sure of the quality (and mantic is very irregular at those).
Also I'm the only one than feels than mantic lost a golden oportunity not pushing KoW harder?

Could any of you fine gentleman give me a suggestion for the Chaos Dwarf monsters mini wise? Forgeworlds a bit too expensive.

Depends of what you want. Russian alternative aren't cheap but have the silly hat aesthethic. Mantic have chaos dorfs, but you like them or hate them. Momminiaturas has some Bad dorfs, but only some heroes and basic grunts. And you can use some Confrontations evil dorfies, but they are expensive.

Also dang, Mom is doing some sweet deal with they sci-fi warrior, 31 resin minis 40 mm for 38 euros. They aren't the best he has done (I love the aesthethic tough they seem rough) but the price is tempting...

oh and check the usual suspects for bloodbowl minis too.
The titanforge golem works as k'daii destroyer, but gaspez arts also has the bulltaurs.

Avatars if War also has a pretty baller lord mini.

Hey anons, finally grabbed some more primer.

Heard good things about Halfords own-brand shit, so I picked up a grey can of that, and a can of Halfords Bodyshop Black primer.

Just primed up a Polish DW tank in each. Bearing in mind that it was definitely too cold where I was spraying.

First impressions are that Bodyshop Black is fantastic. Dries fast, goes on evenly, and has a shaped nozzle that covers areas really well.

Can anyone help with this?

I completely forgot Mantic existed, thanks.

You're looking for a very niche subset of /awg/ers.
I've got the concord, but I don't have anything else from Warlord (outside of Bolt Action) or the Frostgrave stuff.
I can compare the concord guy with a space marine or something if that helps? Maybe a Gripping Beast viking?

Here's a comparison with a space marine from a google search. (Bonus mantic enforcer)

Here's some Warlord Celts next to a WHFB marauder, which I think is about the size of a spess marine.

All from 5 minutes of google search.

Anyone have a link to the Rogue Stars PDF?

mega.nz/#!V99UATLZ!ANYg-JXDTUN1w-5h3ZuNyiUUvTOEiUfcTvC0UIPEFbI

Here you go. It really should be added to the pastebin.

Yeah, I got the concord and I got some perry stuff too, I got some Fireforge plastics and even some gripping beast metals.
What I don't have are other Warlord plastics or the Frostgrave plastics that i want to use for kitbashing.
While I appreciate the effort there is a reason I asked for the specific miniatures.

The Fireforge and Frostgrave plastics are by the same sculptor afaik and I think they should be pretty close in scale. So Fireforge/Frostgrave sits somewhere inbetween GW heroics and perry truescale. I guess they are on par with the Bolt Actions stuff I've seen.
The sculptor from Statuesque miniatures call this inbetween scale pulp scale.
Looking at minis with beards or helmets makes it hard to judge the scales sometimes without a 1:1 comparison.
for example the heads here would probably look alright on a chaos warrior too, because the helmet and beard give you a bit of wiggle room in terms of scale.

The reason I'm a bit concerned about this was because I wanted to make sure the scales are consistent when I put it all together. Especially since I want to use them in a sci-fi game where I can't use the helmet heads and the official Mhagris models sport partically shaven or bald heads too.

Granted it might look like I'm overthinking this, but I can't compare the stuff in person in a FLGS, before ordering it so I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.

Are runewars on a good path to outgrow kings of war?

Halfords grey primer is my jam! Been priming with that stuff for years and I've never had an issue with it.

Are you the user who normally posts his PLC? 'cause those are tasty tanks if it is.
How d'you like the DW land game? Have you got many opponents?

Absolutely not. Expensive, two races, boring models with mono-posing. Not sure why they are releasing it. My FLGS and a number of in the trade don't see why after d&d attack wing already tried this and failed.

Doesn't look like FFG did any market research and obviously desperate for something after GW dropped their licencing deal.

Used to respect FFG but this seems a massive miss step by them, shame!

Very low energy! Sad!

What the fuck makes you think that?

What are some popular games that use units? I already got bored of 40k and wmh and want to try something similar but new. Historicals arent my jam though.

I think it will be an ok gateway game but I don't think it will be a major competitor for KoW.

I just don't think the depth is there in the game hobby wise or tactics wise. Nevermore possible model price or all the proprietary stuff.

We'll have to see though. Who knows it might blow up like X-wing but X-wing has a legendary IP.

Can you guys recommend me a good sci-fi skirmish game besides Rogue Stars? And some miniatures lines to go with them.

I need a break from massive fantasy wargames

I'd heard so many good things about it, but I normally prime in black. I'll post some comparison pictures between the two and my older Vallejo primed stuff once they're done.

That I am. Haven't painted in a while due to not being able to get hold of my usual primer.
Land game is good fun, faster than the naval game but suffers from not being the focus of the system. There aren't many who play it, and being unemployed with no car means it's hard to find players. There's a club in the next city over, but it costs me £10 a time to get there by train, and have to leave early to get the last train. So yeah, not playing much at the moment.

Cheers buddy

Infinity?

I'm playing in a Deadzone campaign atm and honestly I really like it.

It's very lite and the balance isn't that great (not that awful either though) but it's fun and you play on a 2'x2' board so you don't need a lot of space.

Infinity's great and has a significant player base as well as plenty of support.

I also really, really like Urban War but that game is in a hibernation so deep you have to check every now and again to make the body's still breathing, and players are a lot more scarce. That being said Scottia Grendel still make all the models and are slowly releasing all of the Urban War models which had gone OOP. Just don't expect any new rules or stat lines any time soon.

>Infinity

Just 'cause we're in /awg/ doesn't mean all games with a dedicated thread are bad.

Looks interesting, but not liking any of the miniatures for now. Sooo dissapointed with the veer-myn

You don't have to use the official range of miniatures to play a game. No idea why people get so hung up on this. Use whichever rulesets and models you like and find fun.

>but not liking any of the miniatures for now
Then don't use them.

Counterblast is pretty fun, as long as you ignore the campaign rules.

Dark Age is a good time, and the 2 player starter is set to come out in a month or so I believe.

Don't like the gun that much. Looks like a lazy design. They just took generic gun and slapped that bioslorp on top of it.

I think it's just meant to be some kind of alium skull.

Anyone here play Rogue Stars? I thought it looked cool, but there is very little information about they scope of the rules and the game from the publisher. Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Infinity is a medicore computer game turned into a tabletop game instead

pretty much all tabletop wargames are mediocre computer games

You're a medicore computer simulation turned into a meatbag instead.

Anyways, user asked for recommendations of good sci-fi skirmish games. Infinity certainly hits the last two thirds of that, and whilst we clearly differ on the remaining third, I think Infinity is good and gave my honest recommendation. No need to get mad.

Guys dissuade me on going half on two runewars starter boxes. I can essentially get a full force for 90 bucks with all the proprietary FFG stuff too boot.

try kings of war