How would you design a setting who you supposed to be D&D monsters?

How would you design a setting who you supposed to be D&D monsters?

>you're a gang of monster NPCs sailing the high seas or robbing highways

>monster NPCs oddly wound up in a quest to save the world

> a giant city filled with races of every kind living in (relative) civility

You're gonna need to elaborate what you're going for

Just ride the wave of the recent anime trend called Portal Fantasy and run the whole thing in the goddamn Sigil.

That depends on the type of monster and what kind of game the players want.
If they want to play up the whole evil monster thing then there are loads of fun stuff you could try. Or you could go the misunderstood monster route. Both are quite fun.

One suggestion would be the players are monsters in a dungeon, but a sudden influx of adventurers has been wreaking havoc on your village. Your party is commissioned or just decides to get to the bottom of the problem.
They eventually find out that a wealthy merchant has been making up lies about your people, and hiring an army of adventures to clear out the dungeons that are your home.
Your players mission, should they choose to except it, is to track down the merchant, find out why he is blowing so much money to kill every one in your home, and put a stop to the constant flow of crazy murder hobos.

Better ask how to design a sentence which you're supposed to comprehend.

I L L I T H I D
S O C I E T Y

or

D R O W
S O C I E T Y

There's a ton of possibilities open for exploring weird alternate ways of thinking or depraved intrigue

You could even throw in opportunities to break from the monsters' (often unanimous) way of thinking and become good guys, but at terrible sacrifice.

>The party work as part-time dungeon mooks, but when an incident with an alchemist, a bag of holding, and an explosive rune destroy the dungeon, they go on a quest to find a new dungeon to defend from adventurers
>Finding work in a world full of adventurers is hard, however, as most nearby dungeons have been cleared out and converted into peaceful monster villages, fungeons (nonlethal dungeons with puzzles and games), or adventurer training grounds
>The party must get through fellow unemployed monsters, rogue adventurers who have strayed from the Adventurer's Code, and employed monsters who mistake the party for adventurers
>After their long journey, they finally find a dungeon with open positions, but alas, the monsters realize that through their journeys, they themselves have become adventurers

Perks for eating humans.

You don't have to be good guys, you just have to break from the group think.

I kind of like the idea of a cabal of illithids who found out the Elder Brain is full of shit and your personality and souls will be eaten when your brain is tossed into it's tank and decide to either assassinate the Elder Brain or bail.

>due to lack of full-time dungeon jobs, most monsters are forced to work several part-time dungeons, often having to do double shifts and travel long commutes
>dungeon jobs are outsourced to 3rd plane dungeons for even cheaper monsters
>mom&pop dungeons are bought up by corporate interests who instal identical fungeons
>political interests control town criers who aim to divide unemployed monsters
>scab monsters

huh, didn't mean to make that so bleak

Dungeonpunk

>"Back in my days, dungeons were LETHAL! Ol' Tuck, he knew how ta make a good dungeon. But then th' dungeoneerin' guild shut 'im down, says his dungeons were too deadly, too hard, n' no adventurer would touch 'em, meanin' no gold would get circulated, meanin' th' merchants was goin' outta business. Ya shoulda seen 'em when ol' Tuck told 'em th' bad news. Somma em' wanted t'march, mosta em just cried. Nowadays y'see these dungeons built fer BABIES! Monsters just holdin' their hands, leadin' them around traps, tellin' em' to be good lil' boys n' rewardin' them for hittin' a dummy wit a stick! Buncha cowards, moralin' about bein' good n' avoidin' fights wit jokes n' hugs. Next thing y'know, they're DANCIN' at dragons!"

This sounds pretty interesting

>Ol' Tuck
kek'd heartily

Really liking this, nice work user. I had vaguely similar ideas for a "PCs as monsters" campaign, where it's assumed the villains succeeded in the Bad Ending of the world and the heroes failed. So now that the villains have no more use for the minions they need to downsize by destroying all the fodder, but the grunts retaliate and manage to escape leading to the monstrous PCs as being anti-heroes of sorts.

Bumping this thread

Wormy

Mysterious plague kills all dwarves, elves, gnomes, halflings, and humans.

Monsters are now trying to figure out what to do since their pawns and sources of slave/loot/food have just run out.

excellent taste

I almost thought I'd be the only grognard old enough to remember it.

Nah, I was just around for an imagedump a few years back.

>TFW in one of the dungeons it's an old dungeon-mate of one of the party members as the boss, but beefed to shit by some evil overlord through immoral means

>Monsters just holdin' their hands, leadin' them around traps, tellin' em' to be good lil' boys n' rewardin' them for hittin' a dummy wit a stick!
I understood that reference

>Being a dungeon mook is a job, akin to an office worker
>Monster families live in underground suburbs and have entire communities based around adventurers exploring dungeons

Average setting, party is all mimics.

Mimic setting, party is all average

Mass baleful polymorph

>Be random monsters
> Kill some adventurers
> Turns out they were on their way to stop the world from being destroyed.
> You enjoy living though
> Decide to take up the quest in their place

Bumping this thread

You made my day, user.

>Party comes across a fungeon
>It's a massive underground carnival
>The dungeon's dragon is trading loot items for tickets earned through games

No problem.

>tfw they have to kill old friends in order to stop the villains

Swap the roles around, so you'lre being swarmed by armies of level 1 hobbits instead of goblins, dwarves are bugbears, and humans are orcs.

1-Use gurps space to designate a planet.
2-Use gurps space to create an alien that will be at this planed.
3-Go back to 2 until you have a sapient alien
4-Congratulation, you have your setting with monsters only

Monsters are:
>Able to speak common often
>Not naturally evil aligned (Yeah D&D badwrongfun)
>Have the ability to interact with tools and weapons with fine dexterity
>are generally not terrifying or have a positive reputation if appearance is terrifying.

>How would you design a setting who you supposed to be D&D monsters?
Wat

I have memories of an ancient thread about a world where classic humanoid races were extinct and gnolls, kobolds and the likes were left as new masters of the world.
Too bad it quickly descended into HFY garbage.

> PCs got captured by Evil Empire
> They must unite to survive human's opression
> Humans from Evil Empire go around killing and slaving every single non-human they find.

>Humans extinct
>HFY
how

Discussion moved away from the actual details and politics of the monster races and into scenes where some monsters find an ancient human artifact and splooge over how amazing and powerful and sexually endowed the humans must've been.
Then a few anons started vocally pushing for humans not being actual extinct but just lying in wait in their subterranean bunkers, waiting the right moment to come out and exterminate the non-human filth with their superior sci-fi technology.

HFY can be such cancerous shit, like /pol/tards