/5eg/ Fifth Edition General: "What were they thinking?!" edition

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> /5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
No, seriously, what were they thinking?

What did you say in the sorcerer survey? I gave them an earful about Wild Magic not being competitive.

The mechanics are a disaster, but is there anything wrong with the concept of a fundamentals Wizard? In terms of flavor it reminds me of the White Lotus Academy.

> Survey is about Unearthed Arcana material
> user complains about core material
Really fired up my neurons.

Since we're talking about the Loremaster Wizard... a couple of weeks ago, I actually tried to put together an Arcanist origin for sorcerers, since the Wild Mage sucks at doing the "naturally gifted prodigy of arcane magic" archetype. Comparing this to the Loremaster, how broken is it?

Arcanist Origin Sorcerer:

1st Level Feature - Arcane Prodigy
Gain Proficiency in Int (Arcana) checks, +1 Cantrip Know, +1 to Spells Known (total).

1st Level Feature - Mana Wellspring
Increase max Sorcery Points by +1.

6th Level Feature - Font of Spells
You can prepare spells out of a spellbook like a wizard. You still only learn Sorcerer spells and cast with Cha, though.

14th Level Feature - Overwhelming Power
Add + Cha modifier bonus damage to spells that inflict damage.

18th Level Feature - Essence Incarnate
Once per day, spend 5 Sorcery Points as an action to enter Essence Form. In Essence Form, you have Advantage on saving throws vs. spells, gain temporary HP if you pass a saving throw vs. a spell, increase movement by +10 feet, gain Incorporeal Movement, and can apply Quicken Spell for free. Essence Form lasts for 1 minute.

Come on lads, give your best uses of Loremaster's Spells Secrets and Alchemical Casting.
Last thread we got:
>mile long radiant damage tidal waves
>fire damage cone of cold with an INT save to realise it doesn't make sense
>CHA save fireballs, since you're throwing sick burns at your enemies

Web, only it requires an Intelligence saving throw, and when it burns deals cold damage.

The currently unsung hero of Hexblade is the Shield spell.

>arcane prodigy
ok
>mana wellspring
it's shit
>font of spells
please elaborate. Do you learn more spells per level or it's just when you find spells lying around?
>overwhelming power
that's ok
>essence incarnate
too loaded. And how much temp HP you get?

Is it just me or was that arcana shit? Like especially shit for warlocks too.

What is the best multiclass for the Warlock? I'm thinking of going Warlock/Bard or something, not sure.

>use one of your 2 slots to cast a non-scaling 1st level spell
m'kay man
the free mage armor invo is way better than this

Just woke up.

What the hell's going on with this UA?

Literally just you. This is one of the best UAs WotC has put out.

Fuck bards, wizards can now cast any spell ever once per day. This is wizard world now.

>When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell requires a saving throw, you can change the saving throw from one ability score to another of your choice. Once you change a saving throw in this way, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest.

In other words, from level 2 onward, enjoy making beasts make Intelligence saves on all your spells?

The wizard was ok but the rest of it honestly looked like ass to me.

It makes it a better multiclass.

On one spell per short rest.

Mana Wellspring gives +1 to total Sorcery Points, so your level 20 Arcanist Sorcerer would have 21 Sorcery Points, compared to the 20 available to anyone else. Kind of weak, I know, but I didn't want to make it too strong. That's why the Arcane Prodigy trait means you max out at 7 cantrips and 16 spells known by level 20.

Font of Spells gives you a spellbook. You fill this spellbook with all your spells known. When you find spellbooks or spell scrolls, you can copy those spells into your spellbook. Like a wizard, when you take a long rest, you can choose to swap out some of your spells known for spells out of the spellbook. This gives you the same versatility in spellcasting as a wizard. Does that explain it?

Yeah, I was struggling to make Essence Incarnate work, but it felt like the best match up for an Arcanist. And sorry; temp HP gained from absorbed spells is equal to your Sorcerer Level + your Charisma modifier.

Warlock is pretty good and saved bladelock from being a trap option.
Wizard part is pants on head insane. If you thought that Theurgy and the original Favored Soul were overpowered, you're in for a nasty surprise.

You can't be serious

Like you can't be actually serious with this shit

> mfw I read Loremaster

Just upcast your force damage INT save fireball and use one extra 1st level spell slot to add extra 2d10 damage to it. They ded now.

I love these invocations, but... They kind of make the Seeker look like crap.

Forget the UA article, that Valentine's card is further proof that sexy snake people are WotC's magical realm.

> Magical realm meme
Please kindly kill yourself.

Is telling people to kill themselves your magical realm too?

What the fuck would justify changing the saving throw type of a spell.

Here, eat intelligence cone of cold!

>mile long

It doesn't increase the size of the wave, it increases how far you can cast the spell. Being able to cast it from a mile away is still impressive though.

>CHANNEL DIVINITY: DESTRUCTIVE WRATH
>Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to wield the power of the storm with unchecked ferocity. When you roll lightning or thunder damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to deal maximum damage, instead of rolling.

>When you cast a spell with a spell slot and the spell deals acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, or thunder damage, you can substitute that damage type with one other type from that list (you can change only one damage type per casting of a spell). You replace one energy type for another by altering the spell’s formula as you cast it.

Okay, boys.

What wizard and/or cleric spells have the highest potential damage?

Harm is pretty good.

I haven't read the hexblade, does it make the blade pact better?

Meteor Swarm.

Vitriolic Sphere has the best scaling of a lower end spell since it goes up by 2 dice per level.

It's more that the pun is stretched wayyyy farther than it should be.

It'd be better with a cute beholder with a little mirror eye for you to put their picture in and a "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" tagline cause that'd be where it's at.

Morbidly curious; does anyone actually think a Lamia, Naga or Serpentfolk PC race could actually be made to work in 5e?

I mean, okay, yeah, I took a shot at all three, but I'm pretty sure that my efforts are overpowered as hell.

Sort of, but the mechanics of Hexblade Curse still favor Eldritch Blast.

>Shadow Sorcerer/Hexblade
Teleports behind you

All of them

t. Lore master

I believe upscaled Inflict Wounds, just because it can crit.

There's the yuan-ti pureblood in Volo's.

I'm torn, Lore Wizard allows for some of the most creative ways you can approach situations as a Wizard, but it's also ridiculously overpowered.

Warlock Patrons are cool, I'm digging the Raven Queen one especially. Those invocations just made the whole class a shitload better though, even old school GOO Bladelocks or Fiend Bladelocks aren't nearly as shitty now. If you go Hexblade, you also aren't stuck using Hex as your go-to spell slot either, since Curse and the bonus action Invocations take up that action economy.

Raven Queen Warlock / Shadow Monk looks like an interesting multiclass.

If your DM is running Mines of Phandelver, at least you can make use of the Staff of Defense.

> Raven Queen Warlock / Shadow Monk looks like an interesting multiclass.
Pshhh... Nothing personnel, kid.

Loremaster Wizard is now the only class in the entire game.

Suppose the Lore Master's at-will features became 1/rest and its 1/rest features became 1/day.

Would it be, y'know... less gamebreaking? It'd still be overpowered, but in a more manageable way.

Personally? Rather than a spray of "frostfire" and ice shards and other anti-pyrotechnics, you radiate a purely invisible chill that grows with deceptive sluggishness. Intelligence is how quick you are to realize there's a spell being cast on you and escape.

Or it makes the cone of cold into an offensive illusion and Int is you realizing it's not real, aka the popular "Your Mind Makes It Real" trope.

Since their whole thing is they don't look even remotely serpentine unless you get up all close and personal, I don't count them. You could portray them as something closer to PF's Nagaji race... but, by the fluff, that's closer to a Malison.

You can literally make anything almost auto-fail. It's almost as good as Portent, aka the only reason to go Diviner Wizard.

Get whichever Rogue it was that can work out roughly what enemy statistics are and you can curbstomp everything in your path even more than you could already.

I would just say to use the stats of a race in the PHB or Volo's and fluff it if one of my players wanted to be one. Don't see the snake tail as being meaningful enough to need anything mechanical.

>Or it makes the cone of cold into an offensive illusion and Int is you realizing it's not real, aka the popular "Your Mind Makes It Real" trope.
Shouldn't it cause psychic damage then?

but muh pathfaggotry

>They kind of make the Seeker look like crap
>implying it's not

Meanwhile, Undying (+Light) are left out in the cold with fucking nothing.

Hexblade means you don't have to go MAD with Str/Dex, you can just go Charisma. The invocations for both Bladelock and Hexbladelock mean you can scale the damage and rolls upward now, with essentially a second Hex on the table.

Meteor Swarm for 120 plus 20d6 bludgeoning across its area.
Disintegrate for 100 at 6th-level, up to a maximum of 154 at 9th-level.
Inflict Wounds starts out with 30 at 1st-level, up to a maximum of 110. Upon a critical hit, this would become 220.

Thanks, WotC.

you forgot the fire damage phantasmal force with a DEX save to put out the fire
>is actually just a person on fire

Arguable. There's proponents for and against the whole "magical illusions are so strong that fire/slashing/acid/whatever damage becomes real unless you negate the illusion through disbelief" argument.

Undying light was already good enough and it's crap fluffwise anyway when it should be a sorcerer.

Honestly the "it's pretty much shillelagh" part of hexblade should just be part of the blade pact feature

It would fix all bladelocks instead of forcing them to pick a stupid sentient weapon as their patron

Just my 2 copper

Only problem I have with hexblade is that it eliminates MAD from non 2 handed weapons but then its potentially best invocation gives you a great sword.

The Loremaster should be given over to Sorcerer, minus the prepared spell alterations.

I think that was intentional to fuck up Paladin multiclasses.

Would the new UA change how you guys would build a GOO tome lock? Would it change how you would build a warlock in general?

Is anyone going to allow Loremasters in their games? I have a feeling they might now be as OP as they seem.

Steal Zone of Truth. Make it a dex save. They literally have to dodge the question.

Disintegrate from a mile away, dealing radiant damage and with a wisdom saving throw. The save is to overcome the fear of your god-like powers.

Steal Flame Strike. Turn the fire damage into radiant damage. It now deals 4d8 radiant damage and... 4d8 radiant damage.

Lightning bolt, but it deals thunder damage because the caster forgot the difference between lightning and thunder.

Evard's Black Tentacles, but with a charisma saving throw. You can guess where I'm going with this one.

Multiclass into Sea Sorc for those delicious 25 feet tentacle pulls.

I've got a giant ruin in my homebrew world.

What the hell should I put there? The terrain is plains, with slight hills and a few dotted forests.

Recent history: There was two years of what was essentially nuclear winter (asteroid impact), and then an Orc Warlord possessed by a demon took control of the orc tribes of the region and ran roughshod over it, until a bunch of clerics and paladins, dwarves, and humans got their shit together and kicked their asses, even though most of them died fighting the Warlord.

It's a fairly historical setting, where I've stolen a decent bit of history from out world.

For Mana Wellspring how about they get extra Sorcery Points equal to their proficiency bonus?

>Kiss of Mephistopheles

You ready to upgrade from Turret to Artillery Turret?

I'm expecting to see a second pass at the Seeker Warlock at this rate, like we saw two different versions of Favored Soul, and at least three stabs at the Ranger.

Someone should convert the new UA Wizard into a Sorcerer bloodline to see how it'd work

You only 2 spellslots until level 11.

Hmm, that might work. Should keep the number low, but still large enough to be meaningful. Thanks!

Hey, Veeky Forums, I need some help. I'm about to start my first 5e campaign - I'm a 3.5 veteran - but I'd like to do it before I've gone through the rules with a fine-toothed comb and spent years scouring the forums for game-breaking combos. Is there anything me and my players need to watch out for, that risks breaking the game?

We have a Warlock, a Cleric and two Fighters.

I'd still build a Bladelock, but I'd be a lot happier about it with Hexblade.

GUYS MOONBOW CREATES RANGED PALADIN

I'M SO HAPPY

Would it be inappropriate to ask for an invocation that grants healing?

No, there's nothing of sorts. Just make sure warlock doesn't pick blade pact, and if he does, give him the contents of the latest arcana. It's in the OP.

>What if we gave Wizards an archetype that almost exactly replaced an entire class

Could you take Call Lightning, and replace the Lightning Damage with Radiant? So you have a cloud that spews lasers?

>best UAs
shit taste desu

Are there any spells that act on everything in range that can be totally broken with loremaster's range buff?

range doesn't describe the area of effect of a spell. It describes the distance between the caster and the point of origin of the area of effect.

Probably best is When Armies Clash

Nope. Any area-of-effect spells that seem like they would have a range instead have "Self (100-foot line)" and so on.

So all it's really good for is sniping from a mile away.

You should have to choose three or four of those damage types to push onto other spells.
The damage bonus should be 2d6 or 2d8 per target, not 2d10.
Specify that the range enhancement doesn't apply to areas of effect so you people don't think you can do shit like have mile-long lightning bolts.

Tweak those and I'm pretty much satisfied with it.

I know, was trying to remember if they ever fucked up. I can't think of any.

Guess we'll just have to settle for forcing people to flex out of enchantment spells.

Has anyone ever started a campaign with the PC's at different levels? I assume there would be problems with low lvl pc's getting hit but I'm interested in any stories there might be about it.

(that said, it's a shame this isn't instead a Sorcerer archetype)

> 1 mile range fireballs

So how would Grease work as a:

>Str save
>Con save
>Int save
>Wis save
>Cha save

For the cha save you have to seduce the wizard to not end up prone covered in grease, most likely by going prone and covering yourself in grease.

More:

Burning Hands, but it deals cold damage. Your hands are actually quite cold as it turns out.

Hellish Rebuke, but it deals radiant damage. Now it's a Heavenly Rebuke.

Geas, but it deals fire damage. If they try to resist you, they literally burst into flames.

Steal Guardian of Faith and make it an intelligence save and it deals psychic damage. The enemy has to overcome faith in false gods using the euphoria of their own intelligence.

Phantasmal Force, except the damage is real instead of psychic.

Shocking grasp, but it deals psychic damage. You're actually just creepily touching them.

Weird, but make it an intelligence saving throw. The save is to figure out why you'd pick such a shit spell.

I mean to change Loremaster to a Sorcerer archetype would just require tweaking Alchemical Casting, yeah?

>Radiant damage Finger of Death
BY THE HOLY LIGHT

Dip into sorcerer to get distant spell, then cast touch spells from a mile away

>Phantasmal force, with real damage
>Convince someone that there's a fire, and then throw them into it
>They get actual burns

You have ways to heal yourself. Healing others is when you're really just a Paladin.

That would require either counting XP, which I don't feel like doing, or arbitrarily deciding when the stragglers catch up, which seems like it would lead to an argument.

Make it a wisdom saving throw and the damage into psychic. Enemies have to resist being mentally dominated and turned into your thralls.

So now that a longbow Warlock is an actual option, what do you guys think of it? Still better to just cast eldritch blast?

>they have to make a dex save
>it turns out it was actually just you starting a fire and then pushing them into it