Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

GM's Corner Edition:

Lets refine our craft fellow Forever GMs! What sorts of tips, tricks, and techniques have you learned and want to share with the rest of your fellows.

Today's Starter Topic: Custom abilities, Fluff or mechanics first?

Unified /pfg/ link repository:pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1:docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2:docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3:docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51713373/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mechanics first, refluffing is rather easy to do, and it's overally better to have something that isn't breaking the game.

I build concept first, then mechanics, then fluff. So basically, I decide what I want to do, do it as well as I'd like, and build a story along the wy.

>I was a wimp before Edlritch Arms! Now I'm a jerk, and everyone loves me!

Hey, since people posted about the Streets of Cantha game in a bunch of old threads, I think I should post my picks for the Wednesday game.

In order from earliest to latest applications:

> Wonderful who is playing Matsutoya, the Soul Knife
> B who is playing Kohaku, the Gunslinger
> Scratchyan who is playing Lorry Carnette, the Arminger
> Slowcogs who is playing Nettle the Witch

Discord links have been sent to all of them. Most other applicants met my standards and may be called on if needed.

Is there any reason to have a STR above 10 for a full-dex PoW character?

>planning Wrath of the Raunchy character
>end up with Bred for War Insinuator Anti-paladin/Bloodrager muscle bound conquerer who came up north in and attempt to become a hero-king
>Homosexual
>Pic related for character art
>Formed his own militant order going north "The Crow's Men" (currently only him and his squire in it)
>Has squire as his butt boy
>Follows the Insinuator code of conduct, which dictates that an Insinuator must work towards their own personal glory and triumph while following what ever outsider they Invoke
>He normally invokes Inevitables because it lets him smite demons
>Plans on using this crusade to set himself up as a great hero who closed the World Wound

After reading the articles about the crusades, those seeking to become great heroes and set themselves up as international figures of importance seem to be widely represented in the crusades. A hero and savior to his allies, a scourge to his enemies, ready to carve out a place for himself in the world. I don't really have to worry about him being a prick to the party at the very least.

What I am worried about is the fact that I am going to be dealing with Iomedaen worshippers. In the morning I radiate both Lawful and Evil before I invoke inevitables, and then just Lawful Neutral. The article talks about as well the crusades can't check everyone and take all the help they can get.

However what I see as a problem is once I encounter hardcore Iomedaens, or the woman herself. Could such a character survive the trumpeting scene?

Carrying capacity? 33 pounds isn't a lot.

You kinda need the shoulders and belt for other stuff.

Not a whole lot. It will help carrying capacity if you're in a low level game that cares about that for some reason. Still, you can still usually ignore that with a cart and a camel.

Are the two games taking place in the same world, or in parallel continuities?

How do I run a Pathfinder Swords and Sorcery campaign? Like, mechanically. Are there any built-in options to limit spellcasters, buff martials, and generally increase lethality?

What got the other thread deleted?

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51713373/

Weebs

What's less weebish about this thread's OP?

It's just janitors, drunk on power, being faggots. After all, they do it for free.

Bronze Age rules and limit your spellcasters to those who either gain their power from gods or demons.

Is this thread's OP not in anime style?

thingken about exp

I'd like them to coexist in the same exact timeline, but it may be impossible. At the very least, I'll try to have some events from one game echo into the other.

Can't I just buy a slotless muleback cords/heavyload belt variant and also a handy haversack/bag of holding and be good forever?

>tfw you will never kill a CR 44 enemy and get a 1 billion exp reward

Probably should make topics that are related to the general instead of what ever you want then. Or app to be a janitor yourself.

It is, that was my point.

Janitors are fucking faggots and their criterion for what makes an acceptable thread is arbitrary.

Get prepared for janitor to get triggered again. Either by drow or visible shoulders.

what the fuck would even count as CR 44 on its own

A level 44 PC
A level 33 Gestalt PC

Bronze age rules seem to just limit martials though, which is something I want to avoid.

can epic levels even go that high i thought they stopped at 30

Satan.

That's why I also said you need to limit spellcasters, if not make casters NPC exclusives.

Remember, spellcasters in Conan were always siphoning power from some malevolent god or ancient mystical energy source.

Epic scales forever, that was the whole point.

Plate armor is now called "Chain armor"
Iron is now called "Bronze"
Casters with higher than 6th level are now called "not in my fucking campaign"

Lucifer, Prince of Darkness, is close.

Alright, I suppose that works.

Are there any variant rules that reduce HP or something? Or perhaps make disease and injuries from wounds more interesting?

Great Wyrm Red Dragon with 20 class levels?

Here's an easier way,

>Breastplates are the apex of armor design...
>... But characters gain Strength or Constitution as AC

Any new games being made by anyone on Roll20?

New games are being made all the time on Roll20.

That's dumb though, you just have categories called "light", "medium", and "heavy armor" and you have individual members like "shitty cobbled together light armor" and "damn fine pimped out heavy armor"

Once the SoM playtest is out proper, I'm gonna run a playtest game for that!

What way is there to give an intelligent weapon/armor/object a body of its own? Not like, a robot body, but a genuine "turn it into a living creature" ability. Is it feasible for someone who is not a fullcaster in either vancian or spheres to do such a thing?

What exactly IS Con to AC, anyhow? Sheer toughness? Armor-like scar tissue? Deflecting weaponry with your massive breasts?

I'm making a Striker when SoM comes out and I need to know these things.

The latter

I see it as sheer toughness, kind of like natural armor, but I don't rule on flavor, so do it however you want.

Would you play a martial where you get a magical spirit that can fuse with your weapon and give it magical abilities?

I'm pretty sure you can have intelligent weapons use scrolls. Just grab a scroll of Magic Jar and have it use it on a living body.

Gonzo 2 had the answer for the third option

Rotund Recoil
PREREQUISITES: Toughness, Strength or Constitution 13.
BENEFIT: You may gain DR/slashing or piercing equal to your Strength or Constitution modifier, whichever is higher, to a maximum of your character level. If this DR successfully reduces damage from a melee attack, you may, as an immediate action make an bull rush attempt on your attacker. You may not follow the creature that you bull rush with this bull rush attempt. You may substitute your Strength modifier with the Strength modifier of your opponent targeted by this bull rush attempt, when making a bull rush attempt in this manner.

I have played a Bladebound Magus before.

However you want to fluff it. Strong Belwas from ASOIAF would be one way to go for example.

Fuck yea senpai, sounds rad and like a much better version of a fighter archetype that already exists.

That's not exactly a body of its own so much as "putting its mind in someone else's body", though.

Can I just say that the flavor of Impale is stupid because it totally ruins the idea that HP is NOT meat points?

You take 5 damage from a Finesse Lancer's Impale, and now you have a weapon through your body...

What would make the ultimate meme game, /pfg/?

I do kinda like the idea of a fist-fighter who's spent so long hardening their body you can strike matches on their skin.

The Striker definitely looks the most fun of the SoM classes so far, Ehn. Really great work.

First of all you need to decide your player base. Memes come from players just as much, if not more than, premises.

My player base is you glorious faggots, because I love you and I want you to have fun.

There's already a ton of shit in 1pp that fucks with what exactly HP are supposed to represent, just roll with it.

There's already 1pp stuff that does impaling even worse than this, so I don't see it ruining any flavor myself. I'm up for hearing ideas on what you think would work better with impaling though.

So you literally have people who hit you with blunt weapons bounce off you.

i love it.

I'm pretty sure Downtime God's gestalt godlings game which turned into Clusterfuck General was the true meme game.

I hear there was so much stupid level optimization in it that it turned all players away from the concept of overoptimization for good.

>korra orc
Something tells me she'd make a way better character in a setting where there's no obligation for the heroes to to be enlightened or wise

I feel like Korra is a fine enough orc name by itself, really.

What's the best Crystalhue gift for the Urgathoan qt in your life?

True.
What other characters would be better off getting ported to a different setting? I kinda feel like this might help me come up with NPCs when I'm feeling unimaginative.

Hi Jolly, I recently looked over your vigilante stuff and there's a lot of cool things in there!

A question, though:
Mercurial Duelist's Iaijutsu Slash is a standard action to make an attack, but not explicitly an attack action.
I hear the Superb Blade talent was made specifically for this archetype, but since Greater Weapon of the Chosen needs an attack action, does it not actually work with Iaijutsu by RAW?

>no one talking about the fact DHB made it into a game

Who wants to see it crash and burn?

Damn straight I would.

>celebrating the ignorant extraplanar feudal lieges who care nothing for your plight, or for how their squabbles affect you

Why?

Let's play to Razmiran, he's at least around!

>tfw no Strong Belwas in the show

Where's my stomach covered in scars?

because of the oppertunity that someone who does care, giving you free shit.

Saoirse is cute! CUTE! C-U-T-E!

Same place as Lady Stoneheart.

>Talking shit about the Universal Waifu

I'll rek u m8, sware on me Eternal Rose

Rahadoum pls go and stay go

Because some of us aren't nihilistic partypoopers incapable of enjoying holidays spent with the ones you care about, of course.

Shelyn did nothing wrong.

They needed more time to show Daenerys can't act, looking smug at the camera as she speaks in a faux-threatening tone how she's a total badass.

Speaking of petty gripes,

>Sansa gets raped by Ramsay, show makes this out to be a huge deal and she gets to spend a long, long time in an uncomfortable conversation with Littlefinger about how he totally let her get raped and she's going to be a strong woman now who doesn't take shit from anybody
>Theon gets tortured, castrated and humiliated for an entire season by Ramsay, when he gets away his sister explicitly tells him to either "man up and get over it, or kill yourself. Live for revenge" and this is seen as a big, empowering moment for him.

Fuck this show.

I want to hug Shelyn!

Shelyn wants to hug you!

I want to stick my p0n0s in Shelyn!

Flavor it as hooking someone, or something.

You forgot the picture, friend.

>can't even save her brother from the Outer Gods
>can't even save her handmaiden from crippling depression
>can't even save her father from her brother

You mean Battle Host occultist?

N-No!

Hooking how? How does that work with creatures that don't wear skin, you just hook your weapon through them? Like impaling them?

He's even worse. Why pretend to be one of them, when he could ascend past their "usefulness" as a man? And accepting aid from one of their number, aid she only gives because the way he aggravates her kin amuses her?

Detestable in the utmost.

You can spend time with the ones you care for on your own time and on your own terms! You need no powers from on high to tell you that!

I want to propose to Shelyn after an extensive courtship!

>expecting her to have been places she wasn't
>expecting her to save the goddess of crippling depression from crippling depression
Why didn't you stop 9/11 user?

Who is expecting a Harrow Medium remake as a 3pp release?

Her handmaiden is meant to fall so she can get close to Zyphus, so they can become lovers, and the purity of their love will redeem him and turn them both back to Good

It's more that we've both gained more talent at optimization, and also gained an appreciation for the simpler things in life such as "I want to play a Barbarian/Oracle multiclass".

Do tell.

I keep hoping for it, or for Paizo to get over itself and release it.

Yes!

Every party needs a pooper, that's why they invited you.

Party pooper.

PARTY POOPER.

I'm considering remaking it as a sort of "hybrid" between the Release Medium and the Harrow Medium.

If you're a character from Tian Xia but you're in, like, Cheliax or wherever, is it fine to just know "Common" as a language or should you spend a point in Linguistics to know "Tian" and "Common"

You better heckin' spend that point in Linguistics or else I'm going to be big mad!

I need to spend a point to learn your Ching Chong, why shouldn't you?