Why are animal companions so underrated and unappreciated/

Why are animal companions so underrated and unappreciated/

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is chapter 2 of this already out?

Yeah

Look here, using an interesting manga or anime picture without having the picture title or your post reference the name of said work is unacceptable.

Only you can prevent "Sauce?" posts.

Sauce?

I'll spoonfeed you just this once.

Because they're usually implemented poorly in games where they exist, resulting in mechanics that are clunky or underpowered, neither of which is fun to play.

>Its another "UUGH I'm a nerd I hate my life and everyone around me but I do nothing for it cause I'm such a insano haha look at me being a 13 year olds view of a nihilist uuugh lemme draw like I'm fucking ito and add a buncha squidly body horror I'm such a neeeerd haha ugh." manga
Wow never heard that before.

Jagaaaaaan

Anything an animal companion can do can usually be done better by a conuration summon, and the conjuration summon will have the utility of being completely disposable and not coming with baggage like needing to be fed or bonded with.

Wow I never actually knew you could do that...

On the other hand, conjuration summons are often (though not always) bound to a higher being or calling that prevents them from obeying commands that defy the higher being or calling. Not to mention that particularly pushy summoned beings might insist on converting the summoner to whatever they're really bound to, potentially reversing the client/hire relationship.
Constructs are the way to go.

Who hurt you user?

Boredom and a lot of manga recommendations.

Onl works 40% of the time

>and the conjuration summon will have the utility of being completely disposable and not coming with baggage like needing to be fed or bonded with.

That's the fastest way to get punched in the face by Force 8 Spirit, omae. Trust me, you don't want to get punched in the face by Force 8 Spirit.

Japs love order. You'll note that the only reason he "revolts" is because he's the chosen one and is aknowleged by a player in an already established conflict.
The only truly independant decision he takes is shooting the owl.

That's a definitely foreign mindset for most westerners. "Don't like modern society? Let's hope you find another society that's more to your liking, otherwise shut up you're screwed ".

Sauce?

Jagaaaaaan

>Japs love order
>That's a definitely foreign mindset for most westerners

? We also like order.

I'm assuming he's referring to us Amerifags who go on about "muh freedom" and "muh gawd gaven rights".

He needs an already existing canvas to go to in order to change his life.
Complete lack of individual agenda.

Why does snake maid have legs?

>tfw no mantis shrimp companion

>>Why are animal companions so underrated and unappreciated/
Because you get a bear companion and soon the Fighter will realize your animal companion fights better than him, then you shapeshift into a bear form and become better in fighting than the fighter too. Essentially meaning you are allowed to play 2 characters at the same time and both of them are better than the Fighter. Also you do not need to spend money on armor and weapons either.

That is why.

Vestigial. Perhaps that specific species of snake-maids are dependent from lizards that utilized legs, and they aren't far enough along for them to lose them completely?
>Doesn't actually know and is spit-balling.

>Every System is 3.P
D&D 4E and 5E got around this by having you and your animal companion utilize your Action economy rather than have their own.

Once you understand that white people are the only race intelligent enough to have true individuality and free will, things like this will click into place for you.

no

Its really just a species of lizard.

It is different between eastern Asian and western ideals.

Individualism is a celebrated concept in western cultures. Collectivism is often found upon as a philosophy; it only goes so far as helping neighbors and the community in most areas.

East Asian philosophy, dominated by Confucius, holds authority and the collective above all else. Disobeying authority above your station isn't just something that is sometimes punishable but is also a social taboo.

In Japan, for example, if your manager or boss says to come out to the bars and drink until you black-out, you do it. Regardless of your reasoning a refusal marks you as an upstart and disrespectful to others around you.

In Korea a few years back they had nearly all of the passengers on a ferry drowned when it sank because the captain said to remain seated as there was nothing to worry about. No one was willing to challenge it as an authority had said so and it would break social mors to say "fuck that guy the crew is bailing right now".

An example of the mindset a Japanese exchange student told me was in reference to video games:

When an American completes a game it's because he has explored all there is to explore, found all of the hidden items, uncovered all the secrets, unlocked all the endings, etc.

A Japanese completion is making all of the "correct" choices in the game.

Of course you will always have individuals that go against the grain as humans are not machines but Confuciunism has a very strong influence in Asian cultures and the concept of face.

The 3e fighter can't do *ANYTHING* right, though. At all.

4e animal/beast companions can be gud. 5e animal companions, no, there's no redeeming 5e rangers.

Because there are no popular examples of animal companions. This is even more true when you consider just about every example of an animal companion you can name is sapient and can talk. Most games that give you an animal companion treat it as a well-behaved pet that in some cases can even fight.

Have you looked at the Revised Ranger build that was put out in an Unearthed Arcana?
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>In Korea a few years back they had nearly all of the passengers on a ferry drowned when it sank because the captain said to remain seated as there was nothing to worry about. No one was willing to challenge it as an authority had said so and it would break social mors to say "fuck that guy the crew is bailing right now".
Welp, that was a depressing series of news articles to read first thing in the morning.

>A Japanese completion is making all of the "correct" choices in the game.
Given how linear JRPG's tend to be I can believe this.

I keep a general eye on UA but its goofy balance level makes me take it with a grain of salt.

So wait, does the UA ranger still have to spend actions to make his beast attack?

If it depresses you more, it turns out that it was an orchestrated mass human suicide conducted by the same cult that their prime minister or whatever belongs to, which is why the SK capital has been under constant barricade and protest

The animal companion has its' own initiative and actions but doesn't get Multiattack if it had it before becoming an animal companion. It follows your orders but can act on its' own if you're dropped to 0. Its proficiency bonus scales with your level, and is applied to its' AC, skills, saves, attack rolls and damage rolls. Every level above 3rd its' hit die increases by 1. When you gain the Ability Score Improvement feature, it gains it as well. It has proficiency with all saves and 2 skills of your choice. At 5th level when you use an Attack Action it can use its' Reaction Action to make an attack of its' own. At 7th level it gains Advantage on its' saving throws when it can see you. At 11th level it can spend its' Attack Action to make a single attack against each creature within 5 feet of it. At 15th level if it is hit by an attack, it can spend its' Reaction Action to halve the damage.

Another good example of this is many well known (like Cowboy Bebop) animes from 80-90s that are popular in west, but actually were financial failures. Back then anime used to be more rebellious than today and many series (usually targeted for ameriboo-otaku which used to be more common thing those days) preached individualism instead of collectivism, but it never really appealed to majority of Japanese people.

Ah I see, thanks.

Because players only ever use them as test dummies or cannon fodder.

Ah yes, the literal feminazi illuminati.

That's when you try TinEye, SauceNao, and Yandex.

Did non cult members end up involved against their will?

>If it depresses you more
Why yes, in fact that actually does depress me more.