Are there any settings that involve mormons or borrow heavily from them?

Are there any settings that involve mormons or borrow heavily from them?

I've been reading about their history and such and they for as interesting as their LDS church is they seem criminally underused in fiction when other religions are far more commonly seen.

Other urls found in this thread:

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/New_Canaan
youtube.com/watch?v=XDefkW2z4VU&t=3m53s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dogs in the Vineyard, but only with light brush strokes.

Graham is a mormon?

Yes.
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/New_Canaan

Dogs in the Vineyard
JoJo part 7
Yes

Arent the Followers of the Apocalypse heavily based off of Mormonism too?

The entire 7th part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventures runs with the assumption the Mormons were right about Jesus resurrecting then traveling to America and became the original Jojo (Joshua bar Joseph).

No, they're just based out of the old mormon fort in new vegas

Everything but the last part is true.

The whole goal of the corpse is to become jesus.

Yeah, and Jesus is Greek for the Hebrew Yeshua, which translated into English as Joshua. His father is Joseph. Joshua bar Joseph. JoJo.
Ticket to Ride is Jesus' Stand, still attached to his body, just as Hermit Purple #2 was most likely Jonathan's still attached to his.

>There will never be a part 9 set in ancient Judea starting a young Jesus as he grows from a mischievous boy who kills and ressurects people for fun (read the apocrypha) to a wise philosopher who foils the plans of Herod the Great to seize control of the Roman Empire

>reading the apocrypha
Also, King David is clearly the better choice. That shit was actually bonkers.

BALD MEN WITH BEARS ON DEMAND

Not apocrypha. You can find 2 Kings 2:22-24 in almost any Bible in circulation.

>almost
What Bibles omit OT?

Battlestar Galactica

Plenty of Mormon writers have definitely put their impressions and/or beliefs in their writing. Orson Scott Card, Brandon Sanderson, Brandon Mull, and... Stephanie Meyer.

There's also Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites, for those interested in Young Adult Book of Mormon Fanfiction.

>Orson Scott Card
As far as I can remember, religion played a very, very small role in Ender's Game. Alai was Muslim and had the "salaam" moment, Mr. Wiggin was Catholic, and Mrs. Wiggin was Mormon and that was it.

You can insert thoughts and concepts from a religion without any of the characters in the story being religious at all. Just look at the overall story and morals contained within Speaker for the Dead.

People like to meme that Orson Scott Card put his views into his books since he said a thing people didn't like and decided was hate speech

One of the reasons the movie bombed. That and it being terrible

Except for Joseph wasn't his father, so...

I've been considering parts of a homebrew Cyberpunk setting and I want the Mormons to be a real big player in that world, which wouldn't be that unfeasible considering there are about 15 million Mormons in the world, 47% of them are in America, they're one of the fastest growing religions in the world and they have one of the highest birthrates out of American demographics, so in a few decades there could be a lot of Mormons.

And if they ever had a reason to want to segregate from the rest of the states, like if something caused tensions to rise in the United States between them and others, they even have their own holy land, the state of Deseret.

Map of the originally proposed state of Deseret, I'd imagine today it could include more of Idaho considering the Mormon population there as well.

Is that supposed to look like a bleeding wound from the thumbnail?

Ouch.

>People like to meme that Orson Scott Card put his views into his books since he said a thing people didn't like and decided was hate speech

Oh that's horseshit. I know /pol/ likes to blame everything on their politically correct SJW boogeymen but it's been said for decades before that incident. Like in the 80s, people were saying it about his books..

Also, Ender's Game is not the only thing he's written, dude. Hell, Alvin Maker is basically an overtly Mormon fantasy series. The Song of Earth series has Mormon undertones all over it. And even in Ender's Game, there's a fair bit of it, especially in Speaker for the Dead, it's just not blatant about it.

>about 15 million Mormons in the world, 47% of them are in America
47%? You say it like it's a high percentage yet I would've said 95%. Where the fuck do the others live, what fucking retard decides to follow an american fanfiction of christianity without being american?

It means there's about 6.5 million in America.

I believe one of the fastest growing areas for Mormonism is like China.

South America is also a big growth point

There is a famous Transhumanist FM(some number) so it might be interesting for transhuamism and cybernetics.

Dogs in the vineyard is ad-lib mormonism in terms of theology, but gets the culture pretty right.

Did you just miss like the entirety of the plot?

Jesus' lineage is based on his dad too, which I found hilarious.

>Where the fuck do the others live, what fucking retard decides to follow an american fanfiction of christianity without being american?
Could you explain what makes Mormons less of a credible religion than others (besides date of foundation)?

Bonus points if you can articulate a reply without posting a picture of a hat.

By marrying Mary, Joseph adopted any kids she would have. Jesus is legally his son, and Joseph would have raised him, which makes him his son in spirit.
Also, Jesus has two different genealogies, one through Joseph and the other through Mary. Both pass through David.

A religion loses credibility points of it includes in his holy text "oh and by the way the original holy text was supernaturally removed, you'll never find it, whoops".
Same for Islam, really.

Or that it's a revisement of a religion that already existed where the revisements didn't even come from already established scriptures that got ignored or edited out.

They literally just say "yea these totally existed" right after getting done scribbling in verses with a crayon.

They can be pretty nice people, though, if you can get around the weird beliefs.

I'm not gonna lie, I love the Expanse, and I'm 90% sure whats gonna happen the Nauvoo.

But I seriously love the idea of religion in space.
Like I'd love to represent every tiny sect, because humanity in space is imperium sine fine, and any permutation of human belief should be celebrated, desu familia (as an atheist)

TO be fair, Graham and ...Joseph(? I don't remember him because I never sided with the little pussy) acted like bog-standard christians without any of the quirks that make Mormons their own thing.

Hello user. Mormon here. We are all over the place actually. South America. Europe. A lot in Africa. I myself served my mission in Korea, and there are a pretty good number of Mormons there. They even have a temple. You can find us pretty much anywhere. It's actually easier to list countries where we aren't. There are only a few of those. Mostly in the middle east.

Honestly in the day to day we are pretty much the same as bog standard christians. I mean the only difference between me and my catholic brother you'd notice on a day to day basis is that I don't drink or smoke and he does. We both pray. We both read the bible. We both go to church. We both believe in jesus. He just listens to the Pope and I listen to the Prophet.

>tfw youre considering converting to Mormonism but like drinking too much

Second book of the Doom novelization takes place on Earth where Doomguy and his lady companion are holed up in the Mormon Tabernacle and get help from a kid hacker and Mormon sniper.

youtube.com/watch?v=XDefkW2z4VU&t=3m53s

You do you man. One thing I will say is that, to paraphrase the words of one of my churches leaders, is that the church is not a place for perfect people. The church is a place where imperfect people come to improve themselves and get help. Not to say your a bad person for drinking. Honestly I've done worse than drink, though I am trying to do better. The important thing is that you strive to follow Jesus, and that you keep trying to get better at doing so. If you're curious go ahead and talk with the missionaries and see what you think, they aren't going to refuse to talk to you or answer your questions cause you drink. Or at least the missionaries I know/knew wouldn't, so if the ones in your area do l, then kick them for me and tell them to get up off their high horses and get down in the mud and do the lord's work.

Well, you listen to a prophet who claims that Jesus was a fucking space alien, and that we're all spirit babies who will go to hell or heaven based on our marital status and knowledge of literal actual secret handshakes. (Literal ACTUAL handshakes)

That's not to forget the former canon that natives and black people would turn white if they were good people, or the call to religious communism.

If you like Soda you're fucked too, because in mormonland "Hot Drinks" includes Coca fucking Cola.

That's a lot of misinformation there user. But that's fine, a lot of people have misconceptions about our religion. There are a lot of people who spread misinformation about us, so it's not really suprising.

Easiest and first thing first. There is no thing in the religion that says you can't have soft drinks. That is false doctrine. Unfortunately there are some idiot Mormons who buy into that, but that isn't doctrine. Never has a leader of the church got up at general conference and said "hey man, no mountain dew." You can drink soda and be a good Mormon.

The idea of "religious communism" as you put it, is actually found in the bible. Read the book of Acts. I won't deny that there was a time we held much in common, but I see no problem with this.

I have no idea where you got the space alien thing. That's a new one, I haven't heard it before. We believe Jesus to be the son of God. No extraterrestrials here.

The old white supremacy arguement is also not founded in doctrine, though there are probably some members daft enough to misinterpret the scriptures that way I assure you most of us don't think that. The idea is that upon resurrection your body will be percected, not made into a caucasian.

It is in fact possible to get to the highest degree of glory even if you weren't married in this life, assuming you did your best to keep the commandments and fulfil your covenants.

Have a nice day user. If you want to know more, or don't agree with me, go find some missionaries. I can assure you they would be happy to discuss this all in depth with you. Remember to go to the source and not believe everything you hear secondhand.

Cursed auto correct.

Bodies will be perfected, not percected.

>have no idea where you got the space alien thing.
Maybe he's confusing mormons with scientology.

Probably. I've been confused with stranger religions.

It's also not an uncommon belief when you fall deep into the alien conspiracy theory sinkhole about draco reptilians, tall grays, archons, Pleiadians, etc.

But none of that has anything to do with my religion. No space lizards or grey men at all.

Now on the subject of Mormons in games, I think there really is a place for us in any post apocalyptic setting. See there's this thing we do where all members are encouraged to have several months or a years food storage and clean water. Some people are really hard core about that, and when you combine that with the bishops storehouse and the regimented structure of our organization I think we could handle the collapse of civilization better than most. That and utah a place that has nothing to nuke, unlike say either of the coasts, so they wouldn't get hit by the worst of it.

Just my opinion.

Or... you know, I've read up on mormonism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

God is a space alien.

>Easiest and first thing first. There is no thing in the religion that says you can't have soft drinks. That is false doctrine. Unfortunately there are some idiot Mormons who buy into that, but that isn't doctrine. Never has a leader of the church got up at general conference and said "hey man, no mountain dew." You can drink soda and be a good Mormon.

You get away with this solely because the pearl of great price is technically not fucking canon but merely "Advice", and the interpretation that it covers soda is just that of FAIR and the missionary arm.

>The idea of "religious communism" as you put it, is actually found in the bible. Read the book of Acts. I won't deny that there was a time we held much in common, but I see no problem with this.

You mean apart from the fact that it broke down and you started murdering each other?

>The old white supremacy arguement is also not founded in doctrine, though there are probably some members daft enough to misinterpret the scriptures that way I assure you most of us don't think that. The idea is that upon resurrection your body will be percected, not made into a caucasian.

The idea that natives are dark because they were wicked is literally canonical, the fact that their continued darkness can be assuaged by being good is literally the canonical word of your former prophet that you then claimed wasn't canonical. This is literally what happened in the book of mormon, it's literally the origin story of the fucking Lamanites.

I won't even have this shit said.

Dragonlance is an allegory for Mormonism. I also heard Tracy Hickman was into non-gay homosex too (just guys being guys)

>criminally underused in fiction
funny seeing how the book of mormon IS fiction

I mean you could definitely base a campaign on the book of mormon and the various interpretations by prophets and FAIR to make it work.

Armies of Jewish-Aztecs riding to battle on tapirs is already pretty sweet.

>Wikipedia

Great source mate.

Nothing in the pearl about soda. No prophet has ever said it was soda. Autists claim soda is included, they have no foot to stand on, and our missionaries do not preach that. If there was a missionary who preached that he needs to be disciplined, because that is not church doctrine and he should not be sharing his own opinions instead of doctrine.

Gonna need citations for us killing each other. I'm sure there have been isolated incidents, we are human after all, but I don't recall that ever being a widespread problem and I know my church history pretty well. I know there were disagreements over it, hell people went apostate because if it, but I still don't understand why you point at that as an example of us bring nutters as it is literally in the bible.

Ah the Lamanite thing. If you read the verse the curse itself was to be cut off from the spirit of the lord. The dark skin was not the curse. The dark skin was the mark of the curse so that the nephites could identify them. It has precident in the bible, see the old testament and cain. That bring said the idea that because they had dark skin they couldn't have gods blessings, or that daek skinned people are evil, is false. If you read the book there were many righteous lamanites, who were identifiable as lamanites. There were actually periods when the lamanites were more righteous than the nephites, and closer to god. Dark skin and all. So yes, the dark skin came about do to wickedness, but that doesn't mean dark skinned people are inherently evil. Nor does it say we will all be white in the resurrection.

Okay. Real fast one thing I have to say, FAIR is, as far as I know, not an official church organization, and if you want diffinative information I strongly suggest rather than going to a website made by heavens only know who, you should probably go to official church sites.

Pretending that FAIR isn't used all the time as a source by mormons about mormonism is lying or ignorance to the point where you cannot claim to have any knowledge of mormon apologetics.

It's the source of most of the arguments against apostates, they're cited by church authorities even if isn't an official church organ.

Yeah, wikipedia is much less reliable than you going "NAH THAT'S NOT IN MORMONISM", whereas I can cite sources including the fucking canonical fucking source.
I can give you the prophet that said natives will turn, and I quote "White and delightsome".
It was Spencer W. Kimball.

Now of course official church doctrine is that he was speaking as a fallible man and not as an infallible prophet, just as Brigham Young... and all the subsequent prophets... had been when they said black people couldn't hold the priesthood because their skin colour, being a symbol of their lack of connection as you so nicely put it, meant they couldn't be priests.
And of course if you can't hold the priesthood you can't go to heaven, no matter how many of the hand shakes you know. (And I'll remind people, we're talking literal handshakes that you literally have to know to get into super special VIP heaven)

As for the Kolob thing, it's LITERALLY in the book of Abraham, unless you claim Joseph Smith is a liar.
Which of course he was, a literal convicted fraudster who "translated" the book of Abraham from a papyrus scroll, which actual Egyptologists have gotten their hands on by this point and have all said that it's a standard book of the dead.

>[Church communism]

It's...
Just look up the history of the strangerites, it's one big mess that involves the mormons becoming a pseudo-communist-pseudo-mafia.

And it isn't in acts.
Not the way you fuckers set it up.

The original Battlestar Galactica.

>Urkel beardbeard