How do you like your aliens, Veeky Forums?

How do you like your aliens, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fL2FbGH2DDs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Highly sexual

agreed

old school

I'm a sucker for green-skinned space babes.

Space apes

On a scale from Star Trek to Lovecraft, i'd like them to fall somewhere in the middle: Clearly different and non-human, but just on this side of understandable.

So, somewhere around the Mass Effect level of aliens?

Vette is for gently loving

Didn't even think of that, but yes, for the most part. But leaning more toward Turians then Assari, on that spectrum.

And, now that i think about it, the Prawns from District 9 are another example.

I don't know, human-like aliens could be done kinda well if it was the "Human enough to be able to easily associate with, but alien enough to make our lizard brains go FUCK NAW! if in a prolonged interaction"

I don't necessarily dislike human-like aliens, it really depends on the context, which especially when it comes to TTRPGs can vary widely.
A hard sci-fi game aboard a derelict spaceship, adrift in the blackness of space needs wholly different Aliens than a pulpy space-opera where you are soldiers of fortune, hopping between planets like its nothing.

Me, personally, would really love to run or play a game that's somewhere between Star Trek and Star Game, with cool and somewhat different Aliens.

Oddly sympathetic Von Neumann probes.

To be fair, humanoid aliens isn't not hard sci-fi if you're one of those people that think convergent evolution is a universal thing as opposed to something that's limited to the local planetary body.

Not disputing that, but in a hard sci-fi game the Start Trek Aliens that are just humans with weird eyebrows or something like that are straining it imo.

Don't know what you're talking about here. Most ME aliens are basically just human reskins with a couple of quirks on top. There's not much alien about them, apart from a couple of "out-there" things that are grafted on so you have something to point at and say "HUMANS DON'T DO OR HAVE THAT THESE MUST BE ALIENS". Appearance-wise, they tend to either be clearly based on a human template, or have at least one obvious Earth analogue. The closest we got to a possible alien (that I can recall) was the Thorian, and even that was still fucked up by it being a sentient plant.

I guess there's the Reapers, but their Lovecraftian facade kind of fell away as their motives became clearer. In the end, they just turned out to be a variant on the classic "AI develops warped ideas about the nature of organic life and goes rogue" trope.

Purged with the Emperor's cleansing flame.

>Imperium
>xenophobia
pick one

I like them spooky

Responded to wrong comment.

Yeah. I could see convergent evolution causing a handful of broad, general traits to occur independently on different planets. Not basically remaking whole terrestrial organisms on other worlds though.

Little grey men who say "ayy lmao"

> How do you like your aliens, Veeky Forums?
Deported.

In all seriousness, Grays aka ayy lmaos are fine.

if that kind of alien has appeared in media before, i want it too
>green skinned space babe
good for orgies
>insectoid aliens
good for killing
>normal humans with a single exaggerated feature
they make good friends
>robo aliens
really cool
>energy balls
for that eldritch zing

>TL;DR
i want ALL the aliens

purged

Unknowable, indescribable, inhuman timeless super intelligences.

Entities so intelligent and powerful, they'd make a super intelligent general AI the size of a dyson sphere shake with fear.

In my own writing, I like my aliens alien, because I tend towards harder sci-fi. Not transparent human reskins - if I need human-like characters, I use humans. Not just some other Earth organism that's been upscaled, or given sentience either. If I need leopards that can solve differential equations, I have a bunch of humans perform some genetic fuckery on leopards to give them human-level intelligence, or something like that.

I have no problem with more human-like aliens in other settings though, just as long as they don't try and say "it's hard sci-fi guize" at the same time. As with all things, it depends how they're used. I definitely find more Lovecraftian aliens interesting though, since I'm a sucker for mystery and cosmic horror-type shit.

>Veeky Forums doesn't take OP's bait

I'm simultaneously proud as fuck and disappointed as fuck.

Maybe OP should have posted a better 2hu than one of the smug assholes from the moon

>by the way, I found my old shock collar
what did she mean by this?

FPBP

>reading Atomic Rockets
>suddenly a little piece on how if you have a universe that goes through a cycle of big crunches, you can have advanced aliens that build habitats in orbit within a certain point around a certain type of black hole and survive the various big crunches because nothing around the black hole is affected
>aliens that might not be billions of years more advanced than mankind
>aliens that are actually trillions upon trillions of years more advanced than mankind

I have the hardest hardscifi cosmic horror boner right now.

Or just posted a better moonbitch. technically, eiren, kaguya, and reisen would all count.

HERETIC DETECTED!
*BLAM!*

FOR THE EMPEROR!

>HERETIC DETECTED!
Say it to your new Emperor and his new Aeldari friends.

He didn't even post the better of the two worst moonbitches.

Also I think the gu gets into the list on a technicality.

gu?

Sagume. Stuck doing goddess work on moon with the worst case of "shouldn't have said that" you'll see for a while.

ah, i see.

To be fair, trimming down a name by 2/3 will leave people understandably confused unless they know you.

If we're really getting that technical, there's also reisen (the other one), and perhaps sakuya though that isn't confirmed.

Sexy

>Veeky Forums doesn't take OP's bait
>I'm simultaneously proud as fuck and disappointed as fuck.
I didn't know that was anything other than "generic anime girl" until people replied to your post.

Like i said, proud as fuck and disappointed as fuck, simultaneously.

On one hand, i was hopin for a touhou thread, where this usually devolves too. On the other hand, i'm proud that Veeky Forums didn't take the bait for once. I just wish they'd chosen different bait to ignore.

I'm sure I'm not the only fish on the board who doesn't think random anime girls look like tasty worms.

Oh, not at all. What i'm saying is that the first pic can often decide the fate of a thread due to bandwagon effect. In this case, Veeky Forums as a whole resisted that.

Or you are all actually aliens. Thats a possibility too i suppose.

>how do you like your aliens?

Well done

>proud that Veeky Forums has been taken over by asexual autists who care more about PnP and metal figurines than the actual franchises they come from

Been here since 2007, still don't know exactly what a Touhou is, other than "some vidya-based anime series that neckbears fap to".

this pham

adaptable

Illegal

youtube.com/watch?v=fL2FbGH2DDs

WE COME IN PEACE

PRIORITY OVERRIDE: MUST BREAK TARGET INTO COMPONENT MATERIALS

Mixed. Space Elves/Not!Humans/Green Babes, classic Greys/ tier stuff, Elder Things/Mi-Go/"Starfish" Aliens, and even more exotic stuff are all fine. In any given setting though, care must be taken to have some fucking consistency. If most of your aliens are Lovecraft or weirder, Space Elves don't belong and had better be well explained if they appear. Same goes for the reverse.

Full of human semen.

cute

Just fuck them up desu senpai.

Not looking like anime girls

Like eldritch abominations.

/thread

>suddenly a little piece on how if you have a universe that goes through a cycle of big crunches, you can have advanced aliens that build habitats in orbit within a certain point around a certain type of black hole and survive the various big crunches because nothing around the black hole is affected
You realize this is patently fucking bullshit right?

It's a bullet hell game with terribad art but somehow became absolutely massive and got fanart 100000 times better than the actual art.

Swordians.

If black holes could be created but not destroyed then after a finite number of cycles the universe would consist of nothing but black holes.

If they can't kiss you back, they're worth exterminating!

>Pic related also applies