Am I That Guy, Veeky Forums?

A few people in my group have been jokingly bringing up my powergame-y tendencies for the past few weeks, to the point I begin to wonder.

My character does everything in his power to become stronger, that's true. He's optimized on paper, actively seeks self-improvement, does shady deals with demons in exchange for power, accepts experimental body augments and attempts to break the system at every turn.

Thing is, he's doing all that because it's part of his character. He wants to get as strong as possible to be able to save people he cares about.

Is it really That Guy behavior if I just wanna save the fucking world, dammit? Not even because power fantasy but because I genuinely like it and people in it.

Metagaming is a that guy trait. It's never cool. Some of the coolest developments are a result of a mistake made or place your character was lacking. Especially when you say you're trying to break the game, shit man I would be waiting for the first opportunity to cripplingly punish him regardless of your good intentions. Road to hell and all that. Point is, stop.

That guy usually don't stop to ask himself if he's wrong, so you got that going for you.

However, if all your characters only ever want to become stronger and you care about making your character like Saitama, you might make the game less enjoyable for the rest of the group.

I'm not metagaming.
When I talk about "breaking the system", I mean in-setting rules, actively trying to find loopholes in things like, I don't know, the Paladin Oder's Equipment Redistribution Form or something to get more money, gear and power. I try to recruit NPCs, or at least get their help, as well as support the other PC's nasty habits because it ends up profitable for me.

I don't think I'm ever metagaming or acting out of character, but I can see how all this could be annoying I guess.

You're the kind of person I don't had a second session with, assuming there's a first session
You have a good point though, wouldnt like it if I had a wizard make my rogue useless
Avoid asshats like and you might be fine, but still make sure it isn't making everyone else redundant or obsolete

I'd say there's 'playing a character that wants to get stronger' and 'powergaming said character'. In principle, a power-hungry character could strike a deal with the devil to become better, but mechanically just end up taking a level in warlock instead of whatever he currently was. A character won't know how to game the system, so choices that do that would, in my opinion, cross the line into powergaming.

>Thing is, he's doing all that because it's part of his character.
That's pretty much number 1 excuse that "that guys" give of their on the table behavior.
It's your character you have control over it, it doesn't have control over you.

>attempts to break the system at every turn

None of the other stuff you said matters, but that definitely makes you a YGTG (Your Group's That Guy).

Who else wants to help me propagate this term I just made up and see how upset the anti-BBEG poster gets about it

Yeah, that's how I've convinced myself so far that I'm not a That Guy. I never try to take the spotlight from other players, or actively support them in their own schemes since it benefits me.

Maybe do less of the actively trying to increase power at every turn and some more trying to test or prove his power as well - you can see your character isn't level 20 but the character can't.

but instactively support them*

ah for fucks sake i give up

A bunch of strangers on the internet are never going to give you arguments that you can use to convince your group that you're not ruining their fun.

TALK TO THEM, maybe it's a misunderstanding, or maybe you guys just don't have the same goals and hopes for the playing sessions.

The fact that you're here trying to discuss whether or not you fit the ThatGuy meme instead of sorting this out with your group is a big red flag though.

If playing your character LOOKS LIKE POWERGAMING, then maybe you could just make a character that's different, and you'll all be fine?

Staying in character doesn't automatically mean contributing to the enjoyment of your playing group.

You know, I always love being able to trigger someone thats a child over 4 letters its ezpz

I feel you op. I hope with "Break the system" you mean an in game social force like the law or something and not the actual game system itself. If it's the latter then yes, you are That Guy.

As for myself, what does Veeky Forums think?

>Wizard
>Everybody else is a martial.
>Not even optimized. Know how easy it is to steamroller everything, but don't.
>Purposely build to support and help the others in battle.
>In game, it's fine. Everybody likes it when the monsters are held up by grease or illusions.
>Downtime though, the GM gets all sorts of pissing and moaning about how my wizard makes them feel 'small'

Now, I've spoken to them all about it with the GM presentand they all smile and nod and agree and it's all fine, but whenever I try to speak to them without him there they get all snide and imply I'm a powergaming minmaxer, even though everything I do is helping them. I'm not blowing the monsters away, I'm holding them up and letting them whack them.

What complicates this is that the GM is a good friend of mine as well and is aware that the others are being passive aggressive cunts but is too much a pussy to tell them to knock it off. What do you think Veeky Forums?

Maybe you dominate the stage irl, which they blame on your character because people. Try speaking less in game, I imagine listing your support spells takes a while because you put some effort in to roleplaying. Instead of describing the illusion you're placing in detail just say you're placing an illusion.

Maybe they dislike you as a person, or maybe they're just petty and mean people who need someone on the outside to bind them together.

Whatever the reason, you're ok.

I don't dominate the stage. Usually it's one of the other characters who is doing all the talking. I did initially make a face like character, but seeing the fighter want to try it I clammed up. (Those wasted points in Charisma..)

I do like illusions as they can be anything I wish. I have to describe them because the GM has been determined to have creatures try and see through them (Perhaps because of nudging from the other players)

I'm quietly of the opinion that we all like the game, we all like the GM but none of us like each other. The GM tries to get us to gel, but it's like oil and water, IC and OOC. He's been trying for a year now.

Still, thank you for the confirmation. I'm quietly thinking of quitting and letting them cannibalize each other in my absence or playing up to their understanding of "that guy" and making my character brainbendingly powerful and drop all empathy the wizard had for their characters in the first place, which was already forced for the sake of attempted ooc peace.

I think this is likely also a problem with the system. Your wizard has a bag of a variety powerful tricks and they have swords, bows and fists. Maybe a gimmick like sneak attack, maybe they can grapple a guy but it won't be as effective at shutting the enemy down as vines, illusions, freezing etc. It is just more apparent in this case since you are the only mage and they're all martials.

It'd be a dick move to go full troll and might make the GM take the easy route by blaming you for everything.

That said, I would do that shit anyway for the lulz and greentext the epic stories that result here.

Optimizing vs powergaming.
Learn the difference, OP.
And quickly too.

>But it's what my character would do!
Yes OP, you are that guy.