Anyone here ever made one of these? how careful do i have to be about the glass breaking...

anyone here ever made one of these? how careful do i have to be about the glass breaking? i rolled some dice on it and nothing broke

>how careful do i have to be about the glass breaking?

If you're afraid of the glass breaking, stick more glass on it

Put it under a pane of glass. Even if just for the drinks that will eventually be spilled.

Alternatively to get some plexiglass cut at a hardware store, it'll be cheaper

it is under a pane of glass, look at the top
if i put more glass on it the minis are gonna be really far above the map, i think parallax is the word

The real question here is, what happened to Dremus?

just use a dice box man

We have one of these at my LGS. No glass or plexi on it, just the screen. Metal minis are required to have a small felt sticker on the bottom of their base, though lots of people do it on their plastic ones too.

We must know!

he was a wizard with no combat spells who just wanted loot and died trying to save his friends with the "healer" feat

Oh, OK. Thanks.

>anyone here ever made one of these? how careful do i have to be about the glass breaking? i rolled some dice on it and nothing broke

Use Perspex rather than glass.

Pros:
Cheap
Can be drawn on for extra level interactivity
Cuts down on weight

Cons:
Marks up easily
Compresses down with too much weight on it
Some cheap stuff goes cloudy

How to do this on the cheap?

Monitors are cheap and almost always sold in every other garage sell.

Go to a local Hardware supply store and have them cut you a piece of clear plexiglass to protect it.

Done.

Play on a table.

Well I don't know if this would work where you live, but if I wanted one then I would go up to the {redacted} where the Indian Reservation is. Find a pawn shop in the town nearby. You can always find cheap electronics and whatnot in pawn shops near the reservation, cause the Indians always blow their checks from the government on fancy toys and then end up selling them towards the end of the month before the next check comes in so they can afford food and booze.

You should work towards putting it in a table OP. Cut a hole in a table, put it in, put a thin layer if glass over it to make it even and provide that little extra protection and done.

Do you think it'd be possible to built something like this, but with folding legs? I don't have the space to have a table that large taking up half a room, but maybe it could be folded and leaned against a wall. And the TV/monitor removable.
I have zero construction knowledge, I can barely put together Lego sets without the instructions.

it would be easier to take out the screws that hold in the legs, and put them in a corner with the table on its side

RIP Dremus

I recently had an idea to add a removable projection screen cut-out on a folding/sliding table. Just place a small projector under the table and use a computer to project maps and info onto the screen.
First, this gets rid of the issue of breaking glass or screens and if you place one of those clear, dry erase sheets over the top, it can be draw on by players.
Second, the table can be folded up and stored/transported far easier than any other table like it.

Also a pretty fucking cheap build price for what you're getting.

I've been using one of these for like 5 years. First, why the fuck are you using REAL glass? Use PLEXIGLASS idiot. It's cheaper, safer, and the people at Home Depot (or whatever) can cut it to the perfect size for you (too big is better than too small.) I've been using the same piece for that whole 5 years. The screen should be bright enough that you should still see clearly even after it's been scratched to hell.

Also, what else are you using for your setup? VTT? Laptop? Whatever?