WIP: Work in Progress General

WIP TIME WIP TIME WIP TIME WIP TIME

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
>Currently offline

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Frakken Magnets, how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lU4uXWliRTM
greenstuffworld.com/es/
victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/bald-gas-mask-heads
youtube.com/watch?v=LtHCQ0nj_u4
youtube.com/watch?v=hL4KVVppbBo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for you're all doing a wonderful job, and keep us posted!

Also, yes i will be your valentine, /wip/

Reposting my first finished Skitarii squad for my 850 army.

Still need to finish 6 Kataphron Destroyers, a second Tech-Priest Dominus and an Onager Dunecrawler without an airbrush by the 4th. Really don't know how to do this all in time.

Acolytes and Metamorphs.
The red on the metamorph bases is to brightly separate the two because hindsight is 20/20

Grey or White primer when using The Fang as the basecoat? I was thinking White.

Forge World makes some wonderful models but I can't stand those marines. They're such lanklets. The resin IV helmets in particular look super derpy to me.

The white primer could finish shiny and won't provide alot of grit for the base. Tough to find a good white primer.

I'd use white one. Brightens the color up a bit and makes it easier to tell which parts are well covered.

Posting from last thread. This is my veteran scheme, not quite complete (redoing black and doing the backpack still on the armor side). Would Tamiya Clear Red metallic forearm guards/hands be enough of a distinction between veterans and normal Marines? For that matter, would it look good?

That's what I was thinking.

How is Vallejo's?

I think also Badger was suggested here once.

Seems a little weird IMO for normal marines to have extra colour than the veterans instead of the other way around. It could look a bit garish too. Maybe match it with the eyes?

That could work, too, though I'm not sure what wash would work well to replicate Sybarite Green without either pooling like hell (thinned Sybarite) or being way off in color (Biel-tan is the closest I know of).

The normal Marines being marked is a fluff thing. Bloodborn Brothers versus Steelborn Brothers. The chapter's got a thing about the nature (and natural-ness) of a recruit's birth. Normal Marines are a mix of both, but only Steelborn become veterans. The real reason is because I field 30 Sternguard Veterans and I only have eight non-Veteran Marines in my entire army, so I picked the veteran scheme first.

I recommend doing the bottom half and legs separately for the onager.

Yeah, going to. Added a detachable swivel joint on the hip with some green stuff and only glued the "shoe plates" to the base so far but sodn't glue those to the actual legs yet, so it's basically in 3 parts plus the magnetized weapon options.

>Finally get around to watching some of those Duncan videos
>The texture paint video has a broadside that is basically identical to my own custom colorscheme probably right down to the specific citadel paints: Khorne Red, Rakarth Flesh, Evil Suns Scarlet

youtu.be/lU4uXWliRTM

The only difference is I paint the sept symbol white and I use a copper color for the metallic parts instead of a goldish. Granted they're both close to Farsight Enclave scheme but different enough to be one hell of a coincidence anyway

Working away on the first of many loyal and hardworking Imperial citizens. This guy is my prototype for the rest that will follow and I think I'm happy with where he is heading. The armour panels are done, but there's still a lot of work to do.

how'd you do your armor? Mine is currently drybrushed up the waazoo

I brush on white Vallejo primer, paint all the armour parts Mechanicus Standard Grey, wash it with Agrax Earthshade, paint all the raised lines and flat areas (but not recesses) with Administratum Grey, and then highlight generously with Pallid Wych Flesh.

For all the lines on the torso and thigh plates I make sure I have a minimal amount of paint on my brush and run it down perpendicular to the lines to paint it quickly. If your paint is too runny or there's too much on the brush then it will seep into the recesses! I then go back and paint the lines lengthwise to strengthen the colour some more.

Aah, the administratum adds a lot to it, I think. I'm using a similar color scheme, but I'm liking yours better. Maybe grass is greener, but I'm not at the stage you are with any of mine.

How are you painting your armour? I'd like to see how they turn out! I feel like a lot of colour schemes come together at the end as the highlights draw it together.

Do you thin the primer at all? I was planning to buy some tomorrow, I'm tired of black.

Can someone post a picture of a washed flat surface? I'm having major problems with contrasting the pooling and it's infuriating me

I put it on a wet palette first, but otherwise no. That primer is meant to be fed directly into an airbrush without being thinned so it's already pretty Duncan-approved. Along with the water from the wet palette I applied two thin coats of the white primer and it provided the coverage I wanted.

update on my glow in the dark nurgles

Looks like black wash over white and multiple thin coats which maintains the shadow of the black wash underneath. The only problem with this method, there's a very thin line of perfection between too little paint and too much as even one extra coat changes the opacity drastically.

You're being very generous where you put your highlighting giving too much of a messy, painted look instead of a realistic one. Having a solid basecoat for the most part and a visible thought out highlight really makes a difference. Otherwise give it another wash and ONLY highlight the extremes.

The first of my Marines is finally done. With this, I start over with the hobby entirely. Camera refused to properly focus regardless of background, unfortunately, so it's looking a little blurry.

Porple.

Iron within, brother.

They're still not Iron Warriors but the likeness is intentional

Wait, which Legion are they? KA?!

They're a homebrew Renegade chapter that's themed after Welsh mythology. It just so happens that "knight in shining armor with gold trim in Mark II-IV armor" overlaps perfectly with Iron Warriors. Which helps, since they'll count as Iron Warriors if I ever get a 30k group started in my area.

based them white, painted the uniformed, wash nuln oil, drybrushed with pallid wych flesh lightly to bring out the raised areas I'll be using white scar at the end, and I'm going to try thinning down shades like nuln oil, agrax earthshade, seraphin sepia and the like to make different tones.

Does greenstuff ever harden enough to not be marked by fingernails? If so, how long?

Give it a day or two. You have to let that stuff sit for a while.

Well at least it's raining for the next two days so I couldn't prime even if I wanted to

im dicking around with instant mold

made a little lego box and clamped it all, made a few mk6 helmet recasts

weird thing is they're all slightly larger than the og and its baffling

any insight? tips on how to use this stuff better?

What I've found while experimenting with it is that being careful while filling the mold is key to getting a good result. When I first started I got some wonky stuff cause I just stuffed them. Not I take time to ensure that they are full, but not too full. Just right to the lip of the mold so that the halves will stick together without too much excess. Once I started doing that things got much better. Hope that helps.

-the guy who's making the Seraphim.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe greens are SLIGHTLY undersized for this purpose.

Anyone know how the Custodes size is compared to a FW primarch? Pics would be great.

ill give it a whirl, friend, and see what happens!

I really like it. A bit on the dull scale in terms of contrasts, but a full army of this standard will look great! Good job on the warning stripes as well.
What I would recommend on the base though, go to greenstuffworld.com/es/ and check out the rolling pins they got to make custom GS bases.

Very cool, the greyscale really makes the linited use of colours pop, lovely work.

Very nice iron warrior.

Ill be getting these as my Chaos Cultists with autoguns. I just like the idea of a working planet, rather than the ragtag crew of the usual cultists. Ill throw on some gas mask heads from victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/bald-gas-mask-heads . Hopefully it will look great!

Yeah, I need to weather it, and I have sponge but I lack bravery.
Thanks based, Duncan!
Just some auric edge highlighting. I really need to sack up and add weathering but I'm super scared.

Best of luck.

Did you wash the metal?

Is baldness strictly enforced in your warband?

nw mate. There's a couple of different schools of thought about doing bases and they're all valid in their own way. Some people go all out for bases to add to the theme of their army (ie urban) while others going minimalist or nothing at all so it doesn't distract from the models. I try to stick to the middle ground because the extremes of each can be kinda lackluster or scary in their complexity (pic related).

So after 8 fucking years I'm finally getting around to painting my 2009 edition space hulk.

Basecoats are down on the first stealer and the chitin has been washed with black. What's the best colour to wash purple with? Black as well?

Apologies for spud tier photo.

Double apologies for the super sized photo. Forgot to scale it down.

Druchii Violet.

Is the GW mold scraper tool worth it or is it the samething as a hobby knife?

Dude actually, yes. Its the only tool of theirs I own and I love it. Good for scraping paint/glue off to make contact surfaces, removing mould lines, etc. Think of every time you've shaved too deep with an xacto knife or cut into something you didn't want to cut while scraping. Scrape tool has your back.

alright cheers user.

Hey fa/tg/uys, first time poster here. I recently traveled to the US on vacation, and I visited a lot of hobby shops over there, mainly because here on my country the stuff we have is kinda crappy. I was delighted to find some marines for sale and couldn't miss the opportunity to get me a tactical squad, since I the chance wouldn't present itslef for quite some time.
So this is Beakie, my very first built and painted Space Marine. What do you guys think?
PS: sorry if the pic is kinda crappy.

youtube.com/watch?v=LtHCQ0nj_u4 and
youtube.com/watch?v=hL4KVVppbBo

I'm painting my Tyranids in this colour scheme following his guide
If you don't wanna do black claws, I'm going to try green.

Cheers lads. I'm with a darker purple then what Dunc uses (the old GW Liche purple) so I don't know it the Druchii violet will be as effective. But I might still pick up a pot of it anyway.

Thoughts on this pose?

(he's going to be perching his foot on a helmet or skull)

If the foot is resting on a skull then that's okay but the top half is too open. Just looks a strange pose.

He looks a lot like he's dancing imho

OOGA BOOGA WHERE DA SKULLS AT

Really good work for your first time user, mine was absolute garbage. Welcome to the fold.

I assembled the Yncarne but the head is tilted down too much so you can't see the face very well looking at it straight ahead. Also the hair connection is fucked, this model is a bitch.

I'm not a mk. fag... but why is everying III but the left leg is V?

Anything else I should do to this base? I'm honestly pretty shit when it comes to bases, so I bought some astrogranite texture paint and colored it up a little.

I think it was somewhat common for Marines to mix and match parts from different power armours.
In fact, the Mk. V was born from a lack of new power armour, so the techmarines pieced the Mk. V together from older models, and tacked some studs on for reinforcement.

SMs and CSMs especially mix armour patterns out of maintenance reasons if there is low availability of replacement parts. MKIII and other heresy/great crusade armour patterns are rare in 40K

Better?

>Anything else I should do to this base? I'm honestly pretty shit when it comes to bases

If that's the finished product, yeah, it's pretty weak. It still looks like I can see the bare black plastic through the texture paint. You could:

1). Use a lot more texture paint, but at GW's prices, I don't think I'd have to explain how pricey that could get.
2). Put something on the base first - putty, fine sand, basing slate - and then put the texture paint over it or around it.
3). Paint over your texture paint to finish the base. But then, what was the point of the expensive Citadel paint?
4). Add bits of flock or clumps of static grass. Don't cover da whole fing, just accent it.

>I bought some astrogranite texture paint and colored it up a little.

Jim: He sent him down for a "chat" with the astrogranite.
Bob: Looks like our "Star Player" has taken a sudden interest in the state of the pitch!

That is the farsight scheme...

Didn't get any answers last time, What do you think of my Stirland greatswords?

If you can put some shell casings or some blood, that'd help. Is it a street? Then perhaps some lines or numbers could be used as well.

I washed the back plates and "moving parts", but washing the gold with Reikland turned out bad so I let it go.

I answered you last time, and I stick with the same answer.

Oh yes! Thank you by the way

Now show me one of your work, mate

I think they're really nice, I like the highlights you've done as they provide good definition to the model.

I'd certainly paint the base rim a colour such as Baneblade Brown or Steel Legion Drab. Black base rim looks unfinished regardless. Personally I'd go for Steel Legion Drab as it's darker brown tone would tie in well with your swamp style base.

Good work either way, keep it up mate.

Sure, here is my dwarf bolt thrower crew.

Still playing 8th ed with my gaming group. Keep the faith!

You know that amazing Cherry red that pre-heresy TSons have. Would that look good on a Tau battle suit or would that be to gaudy?

if it helps, they're about a head taller than a terminator

height comparison to a GW pot of paint

I sorted through my Goblin stuff and my old Chaos dwarf models. I've found I have 15 of the old Chaos dwarves complete and 10 missing their axes. Along with like 100 goblins, some black orcs and some spider riders.

Do I start a modeling project of like 30 Chaos Dwarves (I have ordered some from Russian Alternative) forcing some captured Goblins into battle? Thinking I could make a display board and aim for like 50-70 models in total.

I want to make this Rapier fairly nondescript and lacking any specific army markings so it can be used by any of mine or a friend's armies. Any idea on what I can do to the front shield or sides to make it look less boring?

i like his face

Getting some progress on muh wraithknight.

battle damage, maybe a generic empirium logo like a big eagle

goblins into a volcano powering a magma forge
credit me in your golden demon diorama category

nice use of blended colours. airbrush?

Huya huya huya huya

Nah, Desert themed. The night goblins will be wearing cloaks for traveling through the desert.

Nah, just a normal brush.

that's amazing for brushwork.

>TFW your meme takes off

Thanks.
This pic has better lighting, though the gun is a bit out of focus.

>tfw metallics so shiny you can't tell if you've painted outside the lines or if the metallic paint is just reflecting nearby paint

i just like faces

they're splendid my dude