Warhammer 40,000 General /40kg/

New Duncan Will Probably Be Out By the Time This Thread Is Dead edition

>Edgy thread
>Dank Daily Duncan
youtube.com/watch?v=kKF6GUyI8VA

>40k rules reference in wiki format. 204% Organized
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Rules and such. Use Readium for epubs. Sorry, it's shit, but it'll read 3s.
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>Latest GW teases
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW attempts to fuck up your list
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>DIS DA WAAAGH ORGANIZA, ZOG YERSELF IF YER STILL ASKIN' ABOUT IT
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>A much better roster making program
battlescribe.net/

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (Please stop using Rubrics as book marks)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Whatre you guys working on?

My life

THE DARK ELDAR ALWAYS STRIKE FIRST!

Beat me to it. But I'm working on my 3rd Venom. Just finished up these fucking freehands and I'm quite proud of myself.

That Tantalus looks like a LOT of fun to paint.

I'm almost tempted to drop the Command Squad for a cheaper HQ option, but I'm not sure.

Not sure. I have a platoon of sisters left to paint that are long overdue, but I have my Night Lords to to, too.

My heavy stubber guardsman
I tried making a muddy base for him but it dried and basically crackled off
I guess I should paimt him, glue him down and just use this pre-made mud and grass I got

fucking master tier planks

leave him in the air, this guardsman is clearly Veeky Forums or a psyker. either way it's hilarious

Still haven't playtested it sadly, r8

1850 Renegades & Heretics: Vraks Renegade Unending Host

HQ
Renegade Command Squad
Arch Demagogue, master of the horde, covenant of nurgle, 4x Disciples

Troops
Renegade Infantry Platoon
15x PCS, Demagogue, x3 plasma guns, chaos sigil, vox, militia training, krak grenades
15x Infantry Squad, x3 plasma guns, chaos sigil, vox, militia training

15x PCS, Demagogue, x3 plasma guns, chaos sigil, vox, militia training, krak grenades

15x PCS, Demagogue, x3 melta guns, chaos sigil, vox, militia training, meltabombs
15x Infantry Squad, x3 melta guns, chaos sigil, vox, militia training
15x Infantry Squad, x3 melta guns, chaos sigil, vox, militia training

20x Plague Zombies

Heavy Support
Renegade Strike Battery: 2x Renegade Wyverns

Lords of War
Renegade Baneblade

The baneblade gives the renegades fearless while getting a modifiable 3+ cover save while getting shot through an infantry squad. Whenever an infantry squad dies, on a roll of 2+ it returns to the game outflanking with an extra D6 for movement purposes. Getting plasma and melta across the board this way sounds really, really hilarious.

i'd give him +1S and FNP for being so strong for free if we were playing a casual game.

No

>tfw you will never be as Veeky Forums as him

Seriously digging the (freehand?) "decals" on the Venom, user.

Fuck, this just reminded me that I need to buy a Tantalus before it's too late. And also some Space Marine shit because FW is liable to stop making it and never ever sell it again.

>tfw the Corsair upgrade kit has been "temporarily out of stock" for months now

I think I'll email them actually...

>40,2017 planking champion

Thanks. Yeah, they're freehand. I even improv'd them as I went. The only one I was certain on was the curl.

Guardsmen.

Although I stopped because I realized that i was being a retard for using the same brush to prime and basecoat, so I need to go buy a new brush for basecoating since the primer has fugged up the brush.

I just finished the first Marine of my new Inquisition/Marine army.

Finished up some Chaos havocs, though I realize now that I don't have enough 32 mm bases

rate my list please
should I make the plasma executioner squad melta? or is one squad of plasma needed.
Also I'm posting another list, tell me which one is better.

>tfw want to paint my Burning of Prospero as either Imperial Fists or Thousand Sons
>tfw can't decide
On the other hand I already have some loyalist Space Marines for 40k
On the other hand Imperial Fists are hard as fug to paint, and I'm not exactly sure how to do weathered up marines

What over-arching story pulls at you more? You can always have small allied force of the other later.

fuck, forgot to write what I was going to say.
>tfw he's probably more fit than space marine if he can fire an autocannon at bs3 while planking like that.

Also rate my other list. Which one is better and why?

forgot list

I like the idea of siege tactics and overwhelming bolter fire, but I don't know about anything the IF did during the heresy
I like the tragic story of the Thousand Sons during the heresy but obviously after the Rubric they aren't exactly the same, and while I love the rubric models I'm not about to start a fourth 40k army (I currently have IG, some marines and Sisters on the way)

they just built all of fortresses on terra and sat there, they defended terra with all of their forces during the attack.

Rate my prospective Biel-Tan Swordwind list please. I'm aware it's kind of Saim-Hann-ish but I'm trying to meet a specific budget and this list manages to do exactly that. It's 1000 points.

HQ
>Autarch, 130 - Banshee Mask, Skyrunner, Shard of Anaris
Troops
>Dire Avengers, 225 - 4x DA, 1x Exarch with Diresword
DT: Wave Serpent - Holofields, TL Starcannons
>Dire Avengers, 210 - 4x DA, 1x Exarch with TL Avenger Shuriken Catapult
DT: Wave Serpent - Holofields, TL Brightlances
>Windriders, 81 - 3x Shuriken Cannon
>Windriders, 81 - 3x Scatter Laser
Fast Attack
>Shining Spears, 95 - 2x Shining Spear, 1x Exarch with Star Lance
>Vyper, 55 - Shuriken Cannon, Starcannon
>Warp Spiders, 120 - 4x Warp Spider, 1x Exarch with Spinneret Rifle

I'm a bit worried that 6 Windriders + the Warp Spiders + 2 Wave Serpents might be a bit much at 1000 points. On the other hand the Autarch, Shining Spears and Vyper are all regarded as sub-optimal choices. Is this an alright TAC list? Would you play against it?

Pic absolutely not related, I just picked at random from my Veeky Forums folder

Oops, I meant I don't know anything about what the IF did during the Great Crusade leading up to the Heresy.

I kind of paint black by taking something like german grey (basically a really dark gray) and wash it with nuln oil.

Decided to redo an old conversion I did up years back.

Word Bearers. This guy is my second model ever, I'll post my finished 3rd guy tomorrow.

I've been wanting to try and make a historical model into an imperial tank.

They're not so hard if you get yourself some yellow spray paint as a base layer

You could always go Iron Warriors for their slick look and sweet heavy weaponry (including heavy bolters).

I actually recently got an air brush and I guess that would make the yellow base easier to achieve, but if I slip it's still gonna be a pain to fix.
I really don't care for Iron Warriors. I just don't relate.

>This guy is my second model ever

Looks pretty damn good for a second model, user. A bit of practice and they'll be great.

Why does nothing good ever happen?

Like, a planet with monster girls that don't try to kill you.

Because it wouldn't be grimdark.

Thanks user. I learned from watching what /wip/ hated and Duncan of the two thinned coats.

This guy is my first model.

What would be better:
2 drop vet squad with no additions and an extermination squad with 4 heavy flamers
or
3 drop vet squads with a heavy flamer each
Also battlescribe says
>objective secured (Combined arms detachment)
does this mean that all units in the CAD get obsec?

The Lee is a great choice because it's aesthetic is very close to 40k's. Go for a 1/35 model; that's just the right size for 40K, as my conversion shows. You'll have to replace all weapons though; 40K weapons are closer to 1/16 in scale, and 1/35 scale weapons look comically small.

Painting another Crisis Battlesuit

+2 for farsight enclaves
-1 for no magnetisation
>you can do it user, get those magnets
+1 overall

Looks good. Circled a few things to keep an eye on. It could use some highlights on the red, to go with the shading. The lens looks good, but could be a tad neater.

Keep it up.

>Also battlescribe says
>>objective secured (Combined arms detachment)
>does this mean that all units in the CAD get obsec?

Read the fucking rules before you make an army list, holy shit.

Oh, I know. I'm not (exactly) new to either 40k or historical modelling. unfortunately I don't know what I could use a Stug or a Panther as counts-as since Panthers and Tigers are about the height of a baneblade.

>No magnetization
U wot

If you thought it was painted why didn't you chew me out for having a Plasma Gun and Burst Cannon on the same unit?

Any tips or specific paint colours for black skin tones?

Asking since I'm thinking of painting Bubba and Forrest from some Catachans.

I'm pretty sure those grey things you circled on his right knee and chest are supposed to be weathering. I agree with you on the highlighting but it's not that bad, it's a decently thinned paint job and mostly within the lines which is way more than I can say for most first timers.

*Glued

>painted Tau
B--but user...i've been told the paint comes right off them

What's the easiest miniature to paint for a beginning collector of Warhammer 40k and Warhammer 40k accessories?

Thanks. The eyes are a bit of a pain, I'm trying to use the Small Layer brush, but it just feels a bit too small to control reliably.

The studs are just a huge pain when it comes to painting in-between them.

I didn't notice the bit on the knee until too late, same with the chest.

I did highlight, but apparently not enough? They don't seem to show up in the pics I take, at least.

Nah, they're mistakes. I'm not going to try weathering until I can git gud. I can't decide between black helmets or red helmets. They both look nice, but my highlights just seem to disappear on both.

>tfw just need to paint 22 more dudes, 2 Rhinos, 10 Raptors, 3 Maulerfiends and a DP for my army

How heretical is this?

Marines.

+10 for bamboozling me
I didn't know it was magnetised
also the plasma burst cannon combo I ignored since there was once an user who ran the same combo and got triggered when it was pointed out, so I decided not push my luck.

Just about as heretical as MLP marine user

Necron

It really depends on what army you want to do. You really should go with what you like, honestly. What are you interested in? And why isn't it Ultramarines?

Definitely Necrons. You could just base goat them black, slap on some silver and nuln oil and nobody would even notice.

And some attention whore faggot from RIOT GAMES bought this shit for thousand of dollar, nevertheless he got some media cover after this.

I like whichever one uses propane and propane accessories the most.

So I suppose Salamanders...

A tau shield drone, it's literally a hovering disk with 2 antennas on it. I think you would use between 2-4 colours on it.
tau in general are blocky and easy, using between 2-4 colours on most stuff.
pic related: shield drone

you forgot to take the aquilas off

Oh definitely better than most first/second paint jobs I've seen. I was just circling what stood out to me.

>The eyes are a bit of a pain, I'm trying to use the Small Layer brush, but it just feels a bit too small to control reliably.
Oh yea. Eyes suck, but you'll get it with practice. Duncan has a lenses video. Iirc, he essentially just drops watered down color and then adds a dot of white, but I could be misremembering.

>The studs are just a huge pain when it comes to painting in-between them.
Yup. Just takes patience is all. Hell, I recent cleaned up a few spots that I found.

>I did highlight, but apparently not enough? They don't seem to show up in the pics I take, at least.

Maybe make it brighter then? Red is weird. Here's a sister I did with red as an experiment. The camera made everything more red for some reason.

>>tfw just need to paint 22 more dudes, 2 Rhinos, 10 Raptors, 3 Maulerfiends and a DP for my army

I hear you. I have quite the back log, but you're still doing more than the grey tide.

It looks like when you go into Dawn of War's Army Painter and hit "Randomize" for Space Marines.

Unf sisters of battle unf
At least my SoB will be quick to paint, only 2 characters, 10 infantry and 3 tanks.

You mean Flamer? Lots of armies have flamer unit user.

Does it run on propane?

>Nah, they're mistakes.

kek, whoops.
> They both look nice, but my highlights just seem to disappear on both.

Red's fucking impossible but if you try a wider highlight of an intermediate colour (or even mix of 80% red 20% white) and then a smaller edge highlight of 50/50 red/white that might work.
Black is harder to explain but if you watch Duncan paint something black you will probably get it. IDK if he has an Ulthwe video or something but if so look that up, it'll probably work. There are many methods for black (easiest is just black -> a different black -> black-grey > grey imo, usually I do black -> blue mix)

Salamanders or Blood Angels it is!

Other way around, Duncan does dot of White Scar then washes it with one of the glaze paints or a thinned down paint with Lahmian Medium if a glaze of that color isn't available.

I'm following Duncan's WB guide to the letter, though I used Guilliman Blue for the eyes rather than Waywatcher Green.

I used Eshin Grey for the highlights like how Duncan says for Bolters and things, so I thought it'd apply to the helmets as well.

I have quite a few left. About 20ish to go plus the immolator. If my order from my LGS ever comes in, I'll have another 2 immolators, Veridyan, and another HFlamer to paint, too.

pls no bully. Most of these are some of my first attempts like my shitty exo conversion

He deserved to be triggered
>Crisis suits can fire an additional weapon for free
>Mix weapon slots so the range of the plasma rifle and the shitty AP of the burst cannon are at odds with each other

I mean at the VERY least just slap two burst cannons on one and two plasma rifles on another and give one target lock

yeah but he was supreme autismo and he fucking ruined the thread with his chromosomes.
otherwise I agree
also
What do you use to proxy cyclic ion blasters/airbursting fragmentation projectors
I use flamers, since they're never used.

I like using silver for bolter highlights, personally because it makes it look worn.

Ah ok. I only saw it once, and I only need it for my Night Lords. Since their lenses are super dark red, it didn't help much.

I wish I could decide on the colour scheme for mine before they arrive next Monday.
Speaking of Exorcists is this for fucking real

This actually makes me question the three-color ITC rule.
The Shield Drone looks good and completed with only two colors. Do they expect you to clown vomit it just so you can enter?

Nothing since I literally just started getting into the tabletop 40k 10 days ago. I'd probably also use flamers to proxy.

I feel like anti-infantry would just be a team of suits with burst cannons and possibly a bunch of gun drones with one suit having a drone controller to get 24 BS3 S5 AP5 shots, half of which are twin-linked without upgrades

That has highlights and what not, which counts.

looks casual enough

the red sensor "eye"
3 colours now

That paint is hard to look at, and those cyclones are an interesting idea poorly executed. Wow.

Anyway, sisters have some pretty great colors, but I'm just so fond of my Silver and Red. I've tried out other colors, but even people I ask IRL prefer the silver.

>gold base rim
Why would you do that?

don't bother using drone controllers on gun drones. with twin-linked they average at bs3.5.
Also, cyclic ion blasters are generally better anti-infantry than burst cannons. You have S5 ap5 everywhere, taking more is pointless.
This also means that gun drones are pretty useless outside of gun drones squadrons and to fill the formations drone net v-x-2-0.

Good point. I was forgetting about the drone net and how I need to run 16 drones before any upgrade drones. I had both things in my mind but never made the connection

Also would you overcharge the blaster to use templates to take care of infantry or would you fire off the regular three shots?

I suppose it matters if there's cover or not?

what's better
a deep striking squad of 9 meltas or a deep striking squad of 7 plasmas
both can be twin linked.
for reference I already have a squad of 9 meltas and a squad of 9 plasmas, so which one is going to see more use.

well blasts don't ignore cover unless stated so, the only time I would overcharge is if I could hit 4-6 models with each blast template or needed to hit AV14 desperately, otherwise the 3 S7 shots are better against most other things, you shouldn't be using it against 3+ or 2+ saves anyway.

Ask yourself three questions
>Will each blast template hit at least three units after a BS3 scatter
>What if I waste these markerlights
>Do I really need the +1 strength

>playing anything but Imperium or Chaos
Why even bother with 40k? This game isn't about you.

Things that die to Plasma generally need to walk into range anyways
Things that die to Melta generally outrange you and have vulnerable rears

In pondering how I might magnetize greyfax to be usable as an ordo xenos inquisitor, I think my best shot might be using a skitarii augmetic right arm and magnetize the shoulder.

I don't really know skitarii;are there any nice bionic right arms carrying a plasma pistol or combi weapon of some sort?

I remember when Imperium vs orks was the setting and chaos was in the back seat

don't mind me just passing through as the best book and always overpowered.

>>Will each blast template hit at least three units after a BS3 scatter
Do people actually take blast weapons and expect them NOT to scatter into nothing?

>never was and never been

Skiitari ranger kit had that bit.

You're not even trying, are you?

so which is better generally?
I have infiltrating tracking beacon vets.