Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Uh, you get to bring friends. What sort of cool animal companion, cohort, eidolon, familiar, magnum opus, phantom, etc. does your character have?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit
Part 3: docs.google.com/document/d/1-LAt9Ti5pcnvHY4KnFRuItCjqtGM-YJC5r_0zXiKKUk/edit

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
drawyouradventure.com/archive.html
paizo.com/threads/rzs2m4jt?The-Harpys-Captivating-Song#19
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#Move_Actions
d20pfsrd.com/equipment/armor/#TOC-Getting-Into-and-Out-of-Armor
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCgYaUGdNA
app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/4543188/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

None, his only friends are PCs and NPCs. Pretty dull guy, really.

Sneak attack with magic rays apply to all the rays or just one of them?

Any spell with an attack roll that does damage can apply sneak attack.

What's your action music?

Sneak Attack applies to all attacks so long as the target is flatfooted, denied their Dexterity bonus to AC, and/or flanked.

It only applies to one of the ray attacks, just like it only applies one of the attacks during a full attack action.

Except against skeletons

Sounds like a houserule to me or there's a specific skeleton template because undead are totally vulnerable to Sneak Attack since undead traits no longer makes them immune to precision damage.

No, and no. You apply sneak attack damage every time you attack and meet the conditions. There is no 1/round limit.

>undead traits no longer makes them immune to precision damage
Huh
When did this even happen?

Not since 3.pf

That's a 3.5 rule.

>m.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

I know, right? It is a 3.5 thing, but for the longest time I could've sworn undead ignored precision damage in PF too.

That's only for surprise spells without attack rolls

Huh.
Yeah.
We played Carrion Crow with no precision damage.
It was awful.

Xallis is never without Navia, his lovely eidolon assistant.

It makes sense, really. Taking a zombie down with a well timed headshot/decapitation is pretty iconic.

I suppose hitting a Skeleton in his spine will cause the whole thing to come apart.

Are there any ogre gods?
Do they have clerics?

Lamashtu mostly, and very, very few ogre clerics. If at all.

Huh. Okay.
Are there APs/Modules that deal with Lamashtu, aside from RotRL?

Wasn't that Moonscar one something to do with Lamashtu?
Or was that just generic demons?

The moonlanding was a demon trap

>Group handed in their character sheets for our upcoming game.

>Three Good, one Lawful Neutral, and one Evil.

>Evil character is played by my best roleplayer, and is the nicest person to have at the table.

>He's built a Necromancer after being hooked on this group and its story. Pic related

>Really not sure about this, but dont want to tell him no. He's my best most cooperative player and always brings food to game nights, coaches new players to help them learn, and never argues over a roll.

>I've never dealt with evil characters before, I dont know how to handle them.

Help, what do I do.

Pathfinder is really good for dungeon-crawling murderhobo roleplaying, right?

Well what's the FARTHEST from "murderhobos" that a PF campaign has been for you? The most nonstandard usage of the system for a game?

It sounds like he knows what he's doing and requires no help to not become a problem. Evil party members can absolutely be done well and can make party interactions more interesting.

Clarify with him; you say he's a good roleplayer, so ask him if there's any risk that his character will be at odds with the group. Ask him if there's a chance it could turn to pvp because of his alignment.

Talking it over with him should alleviate your concerns. If you still feel iffy about it afterwards, present your position and he'll either have a way to make you feel better, or he'll understand when you ask him to shift to a different alignment.

Talk to him, make sure he is aware of your concerns, because despite what says, it's not the player themselves that are the issue, it's the player and how the other players react to him.
He is a great player. How is the REST of the group?

Talk to him about it.

as someone who was in a similar position as that player, i would've been perfectly fine playing a neutral character instead of an evil one if that was an option, but the game requires you to be evil to animate corpses (but you can be a holy caster while neutral??)
and after talking with my GM, it did indeed become an option and i took it

basically what i'm saying is: find out if he even wants to be evil. maybe he just wants to raise some zombies and throw skeletons at things with no desires of betrayal or grand schemes of conquest and carnage

Hole shit that thing's continues?
Can you post the rest of it?

I really don't get why necromancy is INSTANTLY, IRREDEEMABLY EVIL but goodboy magics can be cast by neutral characters without becoming good.

Are you gonna tell me the witch doctor in diablo 3 is evil because he can raise dead?
Or, hell, the necromancer in diablo 2?
They're both good heroes of mankind, yet in PF they'd be evil.

Like, what is it about animating a corpse that's so goddamn evil? Sure, ripping someone's soul out and forcing them to stay alive in horrible agony forever as an indentured servant is evil, but necromancy isn't the only school with terribly evil spells like that (phantasmal killer, transmute blood to acid, baleful polymorph, etc.) and animating corpses is the same as animating a bunch of swords, it's just the arcane energies at play are different. Disrespecting the dead isn't an evil act, same as respecting them isn't a good act. It might be chaotic if you raised them from a graveyard, but raising a bandit that was trying to murder you for coins? How's that evil? He's dead. His soul is resting in pieces in whatever hellscape he went to for being evil. His corpse is now just an object. Why's it alright to strip the dude of all possessions and use them/pawn them off, but it's not alright to use his body for magics?
I bet this is Gygax's fault.

What are the best non-magic, non-religion traits? Best either in the sense of just being powerful OR in the sense of being really cool/flavorful.

I know there's a guide out there for traits, that "Tips and Traits" one, but it seems so out of date. Is there a more recent guide to traits anywhere?

Alignment autism is the worst sort of autism and it's an outdated feature that should've been deprecated long ago

I'll talk it over with him. Maybe Veeky Forums has warped my perception of evil characters and That Guys, and I just don't want conflict with this group, they're almost perfect, almost.

The player that would qualify as the biggest problem at my table is simply the guy with the biggest morals. He's easily squicked by descriptions of bloody sacrifice, and is a white knight to the core, even if his class isnt. Doesn't play paladins, but sees the game world in black/white.

He probably just wants to make skeletons, but the first time he causes a corpse to rise, I know our White Knight will throw an I.C. fit.

Sword Scion is a personal favourite of mine for being the only reason to ever be a dedicated longsword user. Barely. +1 on to-hit and CMB, basically for free just for using the weapon instead of something good.

It's setting caveats you are ignoring, user.
>Are you gonna tell me the witch doctor in diablo 3 is evil because he can raise dead?
>Or, hell, the necromancer in diablo 2?
>They're both good heroes of mankind, yet in PF they'd be evil.
>Like, what is it about animating a corpse that's so goddamn evil?
Since you asked, this is the answer, that has been in place in every edition of D&D since day 1, and only in a handful of settings is ignored:
Undead are raised by replacing the essential energy of the soul with Negative Energy. By bringing more Negative Energy to the Material Plane, you are actively hastening it's eventual disintegration, ie the literal end of the world.
Positive Energy brought to the world by healing magic filters out of bodies and is processed back out, it doesn't actively stay or is trapped in the world like animated corpses.
user, the only thing you have shown is how ignorant of the underpinnings of the mechanics you are.

Talk to him and say you'd like to not have evil characters in the party, especially if there are good characters around, but that you're open to the idea of him playing a necromancer. Make a special order/group of necromancers who are neutral in respect to good/evil but have certain rules that must be followed, which includes restrictions against more overtly evil necromantic actions.

by this logic the ultimate evil act would be to open a portal to the negative energy plane

Is using a Sphere of Annhilation evil?

How come neutral clerics can choose to channel negative energy and not become evil then?

drawyouradventure.com/archive.html

It's a neat pathfinder story, but it makes Veeky Forums start autisticly screaming in jealousy based on thread archives.

So the end of our last session was kind of weird. Our party (6 characters, level 6) all failed our Will saves to the song of an advanced harpy. The GM said she was only CR 5. Not even my character (aasimar elf paladin) made her save.

The harpy used her move actions to strip us of ALL our stuff, all of it, not a single thing left. Then she stuffed it all in our Handy Haversacks and flew away while still singing.

Now it's night and we're in the dead center of the fey-infested Backar Forest in Molthune. We were supposed to rescue some elven princess/noblewoman who got kidnapped by a tribe of evil advanced pixies and we still don't know where she is.

How screwed are we and what can we do to unscrew ourselves? We're a paladin (me), warpriest, mutation warrior fighter, esquire cavalier, battle host occultist, faceless enforcer vigilante. Yeah, we were kind of doing a "knights in full plate armor" game.

You posted this last thread
Honestly, Deus obviously does not Vult so you should try finding some people to loot equipment from.

As said when you posted that last time, talk with the DM.
You're all kinds of fucked if you don't find gear of any kind

fairly certain your GM is setting up something spicy here

or he's a complete asshole

either way just do your best to gear back up, do the mission at hand, and make a note to find that harpy and befriend her and get your stuff back peacefully after showing her to the true path of lawfulness and goodness

How does one track down a harpy through the sky?

Rolled 3 (1d20)

They failed a DC 18. ALL of them failed a DC 18. At a certain point the DM might just take the chance to be an ass because you have to be pretty shit to basically get fucking onehit by a CR5.

Survival

>the Paladin and Evil Cleric both got supportive waifu cohorts

Why can't my GM be this based?

If Cirno can use say 400 Icicle Spears a round, what CR would she be?

Half the party has poor Will progression.

Rolled 8 (1d20)

And I rolled a 1 last time, a 3 this time. My luck is just trash isn't it?

theyre a reflex save DC 9 so maybe like CR 9 or so
shes deadly until you get a high enough reflex save to always succeed

Nine is a big number right?

The biggest, the strongest and the best.

Now I'm imagining a high level fighter in full plate armor grazing hundreds of shots every round

The biggest

>shes deadly until you get a high enough reflex save to always succeed
But a 1 always fails.
You would need enough dr to ignore the damage.

Not against a flier.

Only if you were actively pulling it in thru the portal.
Because like positive energy, if disperses and exits the plane naturally.
Undead are trapped bastions of death energy that actively are hostile to life simply by existing.

Removing armor takes multiple full round actions, and while you can use two standards to replace a FRA, you can't use multiple moves to do so.
Similarly, Steal is a standard action, even if the opponent isn't resisting. Ergo, the harpy cannot steal your shit. As per paizo.com/threads/rzs2m4jt?The-Harpys-Captivating-Song#19
The harpy needs to keep all her standards used to keep singing, and has at most two rounds worth of actions before you people get to smacking her.

You might very well think so, I couldn't possibly comment

by that line of thought wouldn't living things be trapped bastions of positive energy

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/#Move_Actions

>Manipulate an Item

>Moving or manipulating an item is usually a move action.

>This includes retrieving or putting away a stored item, picking up an item, moving a heavy object, and opening a door. Examples of this kind of action, along with whether they incur an attack of opportunity, are given in Table: Actions in Combat.

She could have been doing this.

Yes, they are.
They also die, souls and energy pass on from the material plane.
Undead do not natively die, they are there to stay until destroyed.

Except that removing armor is a very specific type of action:
d20pfsrd.com/equipment/armor/#TOC-Getting-Into-and-Out-of-Armor
A harpy's song does not specifically render the opponent helpless either, which means she must still do a Steal combat maneuver check or a Sleight of Hand check, and both are standards, even if the latter can be done as a move at a -20 penalty, the harpy doesn't make the DC 20 check to loosen an item and DC 30 to remove it under those conditions.
And as I recall, haversacks specifically allow the wearer to remove an item as a move action, not anyone else.

So basically his DM fucked up bad?

I want to fuck that qt rock barbarian

so basically undead are magical cancer

A few problems there, maintaining captivating song, or hell even activating it, does not have an action associated with it, I would assume it is like bard song where it is free to maintain and standard to activate.
And when within five feet the person captivated can not resist attacks by the harpy well under the effects of captivation.

as are the people who want to play good necromancers, ohohohohoho

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCgYaUGdNA

>A harpy's song does not specifically render the opponent helpless either
>A victim within 5 feet of the harpy simply stands and offers no resistance to the harpy’s attacks.

They're helpless and can get CdGed.

Harpy can use move actions to manipulate an item.

app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/4543188/

Who is this qt3.14 using Byakuren for a picture in Wrath of the Raunchy?

>using Byakuren for a picture
this kind of shit triggers me
at least go for something obscure if you're gonna do that
come on

Yeap
paizo.com/threads/rzs2m4jt?The-Harpys-Captivating-Song#19
Already linked it before. Standard to activate, RAI is standard to maintain and that the harpy can only get a free attack (not a CdG) on an adjacent target.

Whatchu looking for, senpai? My personal favorite is Know the Land, which gives you +1 Survival and Knowledge Nature.

Turns a Slayer into a scruffy woodsman!

No, cancer is self replicating.
Undead must be purposefully made by a willing creature. Doing so means you are actively and knowingly bringing in a living, constantly hostile embodiment of entropy into the world.
That is why it has almost always been an evil act to create undead, and negative energy actively hurts characters that aren't evil aligned.

>A harpy will never sing you a lulalby
>A kitsune will never literally charm you
>A dragon will never pretend to be a human just to be around you
>A succubus will never become good-aligned for you
I wonder if it's alright to make a character who's only ambition is to find a monstergirl wife

theres plenty of undead that create other undead by killing shit, user

Undead create undead though. Shadows will create more shadows by killing shit.

Amazingly enough, they are always evil, aren't they?

Isn't the whole point of the planar battles that it's all literally infinite and no matter what us mortals do it won't affect shit in any meaningful way?
Creating undead is more akin to littering than to dumping toxic waste.

>Undead must be purposefully made by a willing creature
>But user undead create other undead by just existing
>Yeah well but they're evil though
ok??

This RAI coming from JJ, do you actually trust him to know what he is talking about?

Say I'm going to play a sorcerer. Are there any practical "here is how to play" guides for one?

How do you deal with not having a spell that the party may need? Do you just get some mnemonic vestments?

Harpies are ugly, but the rest of those are literally side-missions you could do after suggesting you have history with one of those things.

>My character is a kindly soul that rescued a fox caught in a cruel hunter's trap
>Ever since, the fox has followed him around, and he always seems to notice the same beautiful woman in whatever settlement he goes to

The dragon one is equally easy, just say you want a squire or knightly partner and insinuate it would be super cool if she was actually a Dragon, as hinted at by her silver hair and deep purple eyes.

>entropy
This is retarded as fuck and I utterly detest the way fantasy throws around scientific terminology to seem more legitimate.
Entropy is an inherent fucking property of a system that measures disorder and "flatness" of the energy gradient. The mere fucking fact that you're bringing in energy from somewhere that "doesn't belong" implies you're locally [decreasing] entropy.

>Isn't the whole point of the planar battles that it's all literally infinite
The material plane is not infinite, user, and even then, negative energy destabilizes the planar balance.
Evil creatures doing evil acts isn't something to crow about. The conversation was about necromancers, not shadows who create other shadows because they do by rote.
Even then, outside of "hurr, here is an example that shows one thing you said isn't 100% correct", what is the point?

If we're to believe the "undead are beacons of badboy energies and the anti-thesis of life and goodness" theory then how come a zombie making another zombie works
does that mean that all undead have miniature portals to the negative energy plane in their buttholes
do they perform negative energy mitosis real quck when they create new undead
how's that work then

>Undead must be purposefully made by a willing creature.
factually wrong.

>The material plane is not infinite
pretty sure some planar entity can just shit another one out when ours runs out

>negative energy destabilizes the planar balance
Just bring in more positive energy then? Shouldn't positive energy be equally bad if you're looking for a balance?

>Harpies are ugly

I thought it was common knowledge that all Accursed Undead have the Darksign, which as you described is literally a portal into their bodies where entropic negative energy leaks out.

YEAH WELL
UH
POSITIVE ENERGY IS SO GOOD IT LEAVES ON IT'S OWN
YEAH
BUT NEGATIVE ENERGY IS NASTY AND BLACK AND STEALS YOUR TV AND FUCKS YOUR GIRL AND IT'S EVIL EVIL EVIL EVIL

>That is why it has almost always been an evil act to create undead
False it depends on setting and type of undead.
>negative energy actively hurts characters that aren't evil aligned.
Negative energy actively hurts anything that is alive with a few exceptions.

>Amazingly enough, they are always evil, aren't they?
Not all self replicating undead are evil actually, but these exceptions are exceedingly rare, probably a fraction of a percentage.
Common knowledge is not always factual knowledge.