Sorry to break the bad news to y'all, but MTG is going to die in 2017. The community is in chaos...

Sorry to break the bad news to y'all, but MTG is going to die in 2017. The community is in chaos, and many prominent figures like Deriums and Brian Kibler left. WoTC just banned cards from Standard for the first time in years, attendance is near-nonexistent at FNMs, and Modern just got the Extended treatment. Price-gouging is becoming more and more toxic, both by speculators (Moat, LED, Library) and by WoTC themselves (Planechase Anthology, Commander 2016, Eternal Masters also before the reprint, but by then the damage had been done. Kaladesh was an absolute nightmare for collectors because having lottery cards in every pack killed the mystique of the Zendikar Expeditions, and a nightmare for players due to stupid sacky insta-win cards like AEtherworks Marvel and Felidar Guardian. The surge in popularity of Pokemon TCG Online was the straw that broke the camel's back for Magic Online, and knowing WoTC, they won't ever revamp it to make it look like it was designed this decade. Lastly, the world is changing, multiplayer gaming is moving towards E-sports, and sorry to say, but Hearthstone is the top dog and Magic won't ever even come close.

Sorry to break the bad news, but 2017 IS the last year of Magic. Sell your collections now before they're worth nothing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1ZD8tGXi59I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

k

So you saying that I will be able to buy cards for half the price and finally do some "kitchen MtG" with my friends?

>having lottery cards in every pack

>Less then 1 per box
>every pack

Most lottery tickets don't win anything.

>moving towards esports

I saw a grand prix qualifier or pro tour or something on twitch a few weeks ago with literally 4000 people watching some fuck draft.

Forgive me if I sound dismissive because people have been saying Magic is dead every fucking year since 1997

Coolio. Alright, to change the subject entirely, and because esports and card games reminded me of it...

What does Veeky Forums think of Megaman Battle Network?
3 > 6 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4 >>>>> Star Force.

Love it. I'm considering running a campaign using Strike!

>What does Veeky Forums think of Megaman Battle Network?

Eh I just never could get into it.

MTG died a long time ago.

Now its corpse is a parody of itself and a warning of the dangers of power creep to other TCG developers.

>Deriums and Brian Kibler

Who?

>WoTC just banned cards from Standard for the first time in years
>attendance is near-nonexistent at FNMs

So? Pretty sure the vast majority of the player base is kitchen table MtG, casual play amongst friends using their own specific formats and rules.

>and Modern just got the Extended treatment.

The Hell is the Extended treatment?

>Price-gouging is becoming more and more toxic

I didn't realize booster packs and such had jumped so much in price.

>Sell your collections now before they're worth nothing.

But I play with them.

My bass guitar is worth nothing
My juggling balls are worth nothing
My 3000$ of paper cards are worth nothing
My PC is worth nothing
My friends are worth nothing

But it keeps me entertained, so I think i'll keep them all. But thanks for the advice op from the future

>but MTG is going to die in 2017.
We already know. No one cares.

>5 > 2
Okay, I agree, but man, we are part of a group of, like, twenty people in the world who actually like 5.

>price gouging
>Commander 2016
Wait what? I can still find plenty of those at any given Wal Mart. Probably Target, too.
I'd understand if you brought up Commander 2013, that was a real fiasco, but I'm hard pressed to believe something's up with 2016.

he's talking about idiots buying up the atraxa precon and selling them for $60 on ebay

Haven't they just started giving people free cards to show up for standard? It is kind of sad, but I think that other formats are OK. It didn't stop me from quitting the game for Malifaux though.

Oh. Didn't even know that was happening.
Wait, people actually bought those at $60?

I totally forgot that shit existed, man. Thanks for reminding me!

Really? I mean, sure, 2 was good, but 5 was the one that had perfected the DoubleSoul and Dark Chip system. It was everything 4 wasn't, and had a better story to boot.

There are a few major points here.
For starts, souls. Souls were extremely unpopular when 4 came out. Granted, most of the souls in 4 were hot garbage, but styles were vastly preferred. Souls did a lot better in 5 once they started making unique mechanics, but they still stack up poorly to styles in terms of popularity.
There's also liberation missions. That set a lot of people off. Actually, from what I've seen, someone's opinion on 5 is largely defined by how they felt about liberation missions. Ultimately, they didn't go over so well.
2 is also where a lot of fans started with the series. So there's that working against it. 2 is extremely popular.

>MTG is going to die in 2017
It can contract without outright dying.

1. ...what the hell is Strike!?
2. Wouldn't Fight! work as well because you can fluff the fighting game moves you come up with as the chips?

Strike is what happens when someone takes a look at 4e and decides to make it a 1d6 generic universal system... and manages to to a good/bad/Skubby job of it.

>1. ...what the hell is Strike!?
Strike! is an RPG with lightweight/narrativish skill mechanics, and grid based, squad sized tactical combat.

The existing mechanics can be easily pegged as stuff from MMBN (at-will attacks are common chips you have a huge amount of, Encounter attacks works as rare chips or signature moves, feats and class abilities can be easily handled as navi cust, etc.)

Multiplying the numbers by 10 gives you about the same number range as MMBN. It has elemental RPS mechanics built in too as an optional rule. There's even rules for team up attacks in a playtest dock, and turning slain enemies into weapons is coming in an expansion as well.

>2. Wouldn't Fight! work as well because you can fluff the fighting game moves you come up with as the chips?

It could work (really as long as you are open to refluff just about anything can), but I remember quite disliking Fight! because it had a lot of dicerolls, and I like my games fast and with minimal fuss. There's a lot of systems that let you build your own powers; I'd pick something like Savage Worlds or M&M.

Yeah, that's a fair complaint about Fight!, I've only read the rulebook so I can't really comment much on how it plays. I've never really been a fan of RPGs that use grid-based combat after three years of having to run a sword art online inspired 4e game for a bunch of bronies (i had yet to learn the mantra of 'no game is better than bad game'), so I'll prooobably stay away from Strike!.

Do you think Valor could work as an alternate system? It's got custom power-building and stuff too, but it seems more suited to more traditional shonen shit than Battle Network.

I'd be using Strike! because, well, grid. Makes it very fitting to the games imo.

I remember reading Valor, but I didn't dive in deep. I think it could work, but character building will take some time.

And MMBN is shounen shit, you just need to base it off of the anime (or consider that the games are mostly about defeating evil with the power of friendship and the main character being super special and getting super special powerups).

Magic will never die. If Hasbro/WotC ever announced they were discontinuing MtG for whatever reason, some other company would buy the property. StarCity Games could be a contender. Or any other company for that matter. Even a wealthy fan could just buy everything and keep it afloat while the game finds its bearings again.

You know I had somehow completely forgotten that they did an anime. Didn't he start fusing with Lan in the real world or some bullshit at one point?

They absolutely did do human-navi fusions.

It was also in the games. Towards the end of 3.

Oh, right. I only ever played 2 and like the first half of 5 since they're the only ones I can find, so that explains something.
I still think it's fucking stupid, though.

Either way, OP's post is bad and he should feel bad.

Is it me, or is the idea that the Pokemon TCG is popular in 2017 the least believable part of the OP? I'm sure that game is doing fine since it's still going after so long, but did it really get huge recently? This would be the first I've heard of it.

Good riddance.

It's handled a lot better in the game.
But boyo, VBA exists. Get on the rest of the series. In order. Skip 1.
Unless you have a Wii-U, play 3 on that. It'll be much more convenient.

>mfw people still playing 60 card formats

I assume idiotic OP means by the "Extended treatment" that WotC is planning to slowly phase out Modern from any and all events, and then further to phase it out of existence entirely.
It'd be more accurate to compare what's happening to Modern to what happened to Legacy instead of Extended, but meh.

youtu.be/1ZD8tGXi59I

You're beyond retarded if you think people would put up with the way SCG would monetize MTG. Not to mention they sell Magic product, they can't also be the ones to create it.

Is cutting out the middlemen in this sort of business illegal or something?

>Not to mention they sell Magic product, they can't also be the ones to create it.
But WotC does that?

Haven't you heard? Magic has been dead since 1993.
They're apparently going to release a revamped MTGO called Magic Digital Next, which is supposed to be a middle ground between MTGO and Magic Duels. I dunno what that means, but I hope it means a platform with less clunky UI.

Which has nothing to do with WotC.

Yes, but they don't buy and sell singles, much less to the point that they control the prices of the secondary market. It would be a huge conflict of interests and would basically be insider trading.

>Hearthstone is the top dog
Thanks OP I needed a laugh.

If there is one card game collapsing in 2017 its fucking hearthstone. Last set murdered everyone's interest

>Magic is dead every fucking year since 1997

Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the twentieth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

This is now the Megaman Battle Network thread

Blue
Blue Moon
Protoman
Gregar
Delta Ray Edge is the coolest chip of all time.
Fight me.

Wood navi here.

You can't kill me while in the grass in my undershirt.

TCG's have to be careful less they end up considered gambling.

Standard draft is better than modern

Libby missions were basically a "Does your folder flow" check. If you had alphabet soup, like most kids, they were hell. If you had three+ chips per turn reliably, you were golden.
At least until the postgame bullshit, anyways.

Storywise and designwise this game is dying because wotc decides to cater to the wrong audience. I hope they change that soon.

Good. Thus always to cancer.

name a TCG with less power creep, you neckbearded dunce

Did you just describe yugioh

They just need to fire everyone working on the game right now and bring back the creative team from 15 years ago.