Looming for the best system to run a game about Christians/Catholics living their lives following the trachings of...

Looming for the best system to run a game about Christians/Catholics living their lives following the trachings of Jesus Christ.

Other urls found in this thread:

kingjamesbibleonline.org/2-Kings-2-23_2-24/
youtu.be/jRHJntLYMh0
mediafire.com/file/7gghri1yk04r538/Dragonraid.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dogs in the Vineyard?

Looking*

Lol Calling Mormons Christians

I mean, it's an easy enough fluff change... right?

>trachings

And this depends a lot on the direction you want to take it. Does prayer actually work? Use whatever system with a magic/miracles system you like. Does prayer have no demonstrable effects? Use whatever system for the setting you want, without using magic.
This is a stupidly vague question.

Not sure if they changed it, but in early editions of GURPS Fantasy, the default generic fantasy setting had Christianity and Islam as the two major religions. And I'm not talking the usual "it's Christianity under a fantasy name with my original character Besus Bhrist" or "it's historic Europe with fantasy stuff", it was literally your vanilla elves and dragons type fantasy land except with real religions. It was so weird.

Ars Magica

Most games set in a magical version of our world will have at least one faction, character archetype etc that's all about using magic with a Christianity theme. Mage had a couple, Shadowrun has it as a magic tradition and so on.

Third edition of the Swedish wild west RPG Western (which mechanically was Call of Cthulhu without sanity, but with a weird gimmicky aiming system and hilariously terrible experience rules where you have to spend xp just to stop your skills from deteriorating) had a poorly designed but simple system for miracles. Basically priests (or shamans, of you play an indian) got a miracle point for doing good stuff, and could spend it to perform extremely vaguely defined miracles. It was clearly designed in less than an hour, but was apparently enough to market the game as a "historical role-playing game with supernatural elements".

What are the teachings of Jesus Christ?

Whatever is convenient for your agenda at the time.

>inb4 fedora

"Don't be a dick, and be nice to others instead of giving them shit", basically.

Ok. This sounds interesting, assuming you're not ironic shitposting. Who are your players and what is the game going to be about? Are you using RPGs as a teaching tool for your church?

Mind you, that's just Jesus' message, the message of the rest of the bible tends to be more about how the Hebrew blood must be kept alive at all cost, and God being petty and way too quick to jump to smiting, ruining his followers lives for no real reason and that one time he sent a bear to murder some kids.

GURPS fantasy is still like that. Also, it isn't and never was quite the regular fantasyland, but rather guide for parallel versions of our world where fantasy stuff (e.g. mythic creatures and elves) happens to be real.

>Are you using RPGs as a teaching tool for your church?
That sounds pretty sick. I'm a huge fedora tipping faggot but I'd love to GM a campaign that teaches positive Christian morals and stuff.

Also, Yrth which is default gurps fantasy setting is more or less real world medieval europe transported into another dimension.

Youll have to accept homosexuality as a is even you won't be preachy about.

You will have to accept abortion is murder since life starts at conception.

Are you ready to have these views for your PCs?

As a sin*

In my country, the church actually does that. They've published a bunch of games meant as a tool to discuss morality and the history of Christianity in different settings and genres (generic fantasy, vikings, Rome, hard sci fi and more fairytale style fantasy), and usually do a pretty good job of not shoving messages down your throat.

World of Darkness.

:)

Thai Cuisine.

In at least one of the games I mention in , one of the stock characters is gay, and it's not a big deal. And one of the adventures in the newest game that's meant for somewhat younger children is about helping out a king who is in love with a male werewolf.
Protestantism is pretty chill.

>Sperm cells are not living

Jesus hung out with the dreg of scoiety: tax collectors, prostitutes, disabled/diseased people. He told them to sin no more and changen their lives

Fair enough, it's been about twenty years since I read it, so it's no big surprise I remembered it wrong.

>and that one time he sent a bear to murder some kids.
Wait what? Which book is BEAR MURDER in, I don't think they covered that when I went to sunday school.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was like before 3-4e since I haven't really read earliest editions, so you might be right.

He's a cool dude.

You'd be surprised how waiting till marraige for some of them is so easy.
I know a few Christian couples who are definately absitnent.

>Youll have to accept homosexuality as a sin even you won't be preachy about.
...fine? Who gives a shit. I've only added gay characters to games where the players constantly joke about which NPC is probably gay.

>You will have to accept abortion is murder since life starts at conception.
I don't GM "BRP Dirty Dancing" so I have no idea why that would even come up.

Here you go:
kingjamesbibleonline.org/2-Kings-2-23_2-24/

I use the New American. Roman Catholic.

I've only read first edition, because I'm old.

sweeden/norway or denmark? iceland mayhaps?

It never makes it into those Bible stories for kids books, because there's really no way to spin it into making God looking like the good guy.

Sweden, but I'm careful with not saying that word because it always summons /pol/ maymays.

I have conversations fairly regularly that involve bringing up examples of God murdering the shit out of people for no reason, and I thought I'd got all the major examples. I have no fucking clue how I missed two bears tearing apart 40 kids in the name of the Lord.

All because they called a guy bald. It's an amazing overreaction.

Could it be to deliver the message of "don't bully". "If you bully someone, bears will kill you"?
>40 kids
That's four tens,
and That's terrible!

I've run one where the players are all holy knights who gain their powers from faith. They're all strongly religious demon slayers, complete with flaming swords and modernized versions of Crusader armor.

It's basically Garo, with influence from the ero-manga Heaven's Prison.

Umm Jesus about love and forgiveness while still recognizing a sin is a sin. I always wonder why a religion about turning other cheek is adopted by most warmongering of nations

Because it's a harsh world that we live in. Being all about love and forgiveness is great, but it doesn't mean that you offer yourself up to slaughter.

Also, playing a completely pacifist game is boring. It's a lot more interesting to play vampire-hunting holy knights.

I feel ya

I can guarantee you 100% that whoever made that up didn't intend it to be an anti bullying message, it's just one of those "look at how good our god is at killing people, he's clearly the best god" stories you find in many religions.

Dogs in the Vineyard even suggests that it could be used to play a group of Church radicals in Inquisitorial Spain.

Also the entire game revolves around moral conflicts and how to reconcile doctrine with real problems.

So yeah, Dogs in the Vineyard.

>most warmongering of nations
That hasn't been true for a solid 500 years, and very arguably hasn't been true for the last 1400.

>hur dur USA is never looking for flimsy excuses to start or get involved in wars, and they never use religion as one of those excuses

Man, Sakamichi no Apollon is such a great anime.

youtu.be/jRHJntLYMh0

And to anwser to OP : any system, really. You don't need any mechanical support to run this concept, only to write your campaign down.

No no, it was one of those "you better listen to this prophet and not make fun of him, he's the real deal, last time some kids made fun of him God massacred them to show He meant business" passages.

The world didn't just conquer itself.

Same thing. He's the best prophet, because he has the twitchiest trigger finger and can make his god smite you for no reason at all.

I believe that I heard some heresy around here.

Probably Holy Race War RPG.

It's heresy to be posting and worshiping false idols such as her, user. I know she's your waifu, but you'll be suffering the horrors of the second circle for loving a false prophet

Pendragon

Anybody remember the indie rpg Paladin?

Warhammer 40k is essentially europe when catholicism was introduced. Think of the imperium as teutonic knights massacring pagan countries like Lithuania and poland

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your mind, with all your body and with all your soul.

Love your neighbour as yourself.

Everything else is just gravy.

>triggered

It's not for no reason. It's literally because they were insulting the prophet. Nowadays bears on demand are harder to find, so mobs of Muslims do it themselves.

Do you suffer from some condition that makes you take everything 100% literal? Must be tough.

I know a few boards who are the same.

Fatal
Trust me, its perfect.

Oh god, not this is again.
It hurts everytime

>I always wonder why a religion about turning other cheek is adopted by most warmongering of nations

Because the original message resonated with slaves, women, and other groups in a (relatively) peaceful and stable empire, but there was no one in a position to take charge of that message. Accordingly, when the empire broke up, the message was changed as it spread, bending to fit into new cultures as it arrived.

It will trigger Veeky Forums, but the Hardcore History episode "Thor's Angels" gives a decent overview of what happened for laymen.

>all these newfags

>DragonRaid is a Christian fantasy game that was created by Dick Wulf in 1984. It is generally considered a role-playing game, although the game's official sites describes it as "a cross between simulation exercises and traditional role-playing games" [1].

>Its primary focus is to help Christians to become discipled in the teachings of the Bible. Its terminology and design assumptions are particularly pitched toward evangelical and fundamentalist Christianity.

Huh, sounds interesting.
I'll probably give it a look.

As I've heard it the translation for 'kids' is a bit closer to the police/news definition of ''youths'.

40 youths looking to harass a lone old man are probably reaching for some sticks and stones once the words stop.

Granted, 40 isn't an entirely precise number and has a symbolic definition as seen by it's other uses biblical.

>has a symbolic definition
And what is this symbolic definition?

Nah, it's atrocious. The creator "designed" the system by glancing at AD&D, noticing that it used statistics and dice, and decided to just wing it from there.

Your stats are rolled with a single d10 (so one person could have a 1 while someone else has a 10), the rules are hard to follow, and the whole thing was basically marketed as "here's something to replace those D&D books that you burned".

It bothers me how le teej memers don't even know the actual name of this game.

Still, might be fun to run a one off adventure with it that results in a TPK.

I actually made a character for it once.

mediafire.com/file/7gghri1yk04r538/Dragonraid.rar

And here's all the rulebooks. I don't know how much of this is available on their website.

Thanks mate.

"Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough."

Anima of course.

Veeky Forums is arguably the worst board.

>"I came not to bring peace, but to bring a sword"
Just because you have pacifist beliefs, it doesn't mean you allow your enemies to kill you. Turn the other cheek can mean to allow others to bring you down to their level.

*to not

Literally Dogs In The Vineyard. Alternatively, 40K Roleplay :^)

>Jesus shows up
What do?

Kill him. "Love thy neighbor" sounds fucking gay, and gays need to be stoned.

'sides, spics like him a little too much. I ain't gonna hang around no spiclover. Lord Trump's the only god I need anyways.

I know you're trying to falseflag, but a major sector of /pol/ does unironically believe that. Poe's Law in its greatest, terrible splendor.

>Joy 10
>Gentleness fucking 1

So uh, yandere?