/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

> New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
> Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

> Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

> Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

> 5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

> Previous thread
Now that all classes had an arcana of their own, best/worst UA?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculum_(medical)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's your favorite monster?
Out of Monster Manual, Volo, and Tome of Beasts.

>Best
Barbarian
>Worst
Monk

Special mention to the Fighter UA for not actually being bad, just boring and forgettable.

I'm making an item designed for a diviner and I want one of its properties to make True Strike useful. Essentially
>You may use a bonus action to cast a divination cantrip.
If he could do that at will it'd be too strong, but once per day feels like hardly anything. How do I make this work?

desu Kensei was a little fucked up

>not wanting to play a "I don't want no trouble" tranquility monk.

Shit taste, my friend. I liked barbs too though.

How do I stop hogging the spotlight when it comes to interacting with NPCs when my companions/fellow players are playing 1. an autistic, crazy retard who is Chaotic Neutral lolrandum and 2. a kenku? It feels like even though I'm trying not to hog the spotlight, due to the virtue of being the sanest person (I'm playing a Warforged barbarian) I am always the party face.

>1. an autistic, crazy retard who is Chaotic Neutral lolrandum

nothing you can do there

>2. a kenku?

What's stopping him from being social?

displacer beasts are the best looking imo

I guess it's more that he can only speak using phrases he's heard during the conversation (or atleast that's how the player is playing him) so it limits his vocabulary when it comes to interacting with a person of importance.

I've never played a kenku so I can't really say anything more insightful.

i love tranquility monks but their lvl 11 ability is possibly the worst class ability in the game. it should be something like "calm emotions" where it affects a whole group and ends hosilities, or else let them cast sanctuary on wismod friendly targets

Hey, anons? Can someone add a copy of Kobold Press's Southland Heroes to the mega? The Midgard Heroes book is there, but the sequel isn't.

Also, simple query; since the three iconic White Plume Mountain weapons all made their way into the DMG, do you think it'd be possible to update Frostrazor from "Return to White Plume Mountain" as well?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Frostrazor

Recharges when you cast a divination spell?
Recharges when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher?
After using, roll a d6. On a roll of 1-X you can't use it until the following dawn?

etc

>Recharges when you cast a divination spell?
Oh yes, that'll work. Using a spell slot to cast a divination spell of 1st level or higher. Thanks.

It has a couple uses (maybe 2-3) that recharge during a short rest.

I'm looking for line spells and can only find 4: Aganazzar's Scorcher, Gust of Wind, Lightning Bolt and Sunbeam. Are there more?

Wait, now I'm not sure that I interpreted Kenku mimicry right. I always thought Kenku mimic other people's voices, but otherwise have no restrictions like "can only repeat back words they have heard." They do know and understand Common, after all. Rereading it,now I'm not so sure.

How can I make my players take the initiative and roleplay more? We're all new around the table but I feel like I talk too much, and I talk too much because my players are relying on me to push the plot instead of doing it themselves. I don't want to railroad them, but they force me to railroad them. They basically just look at me and wait, expecting me to give them the options for them to follow instead of them making their own paths and challenge me.

>One of my players spent a solid 25 minutes real time trying to reach a farmer's widow house while bandits are looking for her because she heard the widow needs help.
>Finally reached the house and sees weeping widow.
>Player tried to calm her and tell her she's here to help.
>Widow is too hysterical and told the player to leave her in her grieving.
>Player said "ok" and left.
mfw

Paladin was the worst.
>evil archetypes
No.

Warlock definitely got the best UA. They can actually do things besides mash eldritch blast now.

Kenku can't "speak" in the traditional sense, as the entire race is cursed never to have a creative thought in their entire lives. They can mimic sounds they have heard, including speech, but they can't mimic the patterns of say, a specific person's speech and then say something they have never heard that person say.

I wonder.
If people dislike Hexblade for the power coming from weapon why not just refluff it? Making the Hexblade being a pact with otherworldly being that is "I will give you what you want but in return you will be my soldier and enfrocer" would change nothing mechanicly.
Hell It does sound cooler and less edgy to me.

One suggestion that might be a little counter-intuitive is to have a NPC accompanying the party for a while for whatever reason, then you'd have a voice inside the game.
>Player said "ok" and left.
>NPC sees that and goes "What are you doing? Don't you see she's distressed?
Also, put them on the spotlight. Have NPCs adress a character directly and decisively, so they have to respond. And since this is upsetting you, TALK with them out of game about this and see what they think. They might not have even realized. Lastly, you really have to be patient until your players are more comfortable with roleplaying and each other.

Keep in mind that the players read into everything that happens as you trying to tell them something rather than as the characters acting like people. He probably wasn't persistent because he interpreted the widow telling him to leave as you telling him to fuck off with his 25 minute side quest shit.

This. From a player perspective that whole scenario screams of stonewalling.

>Making a pact with a sentient sword is edgy
I see what you did there.

It's close enough to Dark Paladin that you might as well refluff it as that as well.

Everyone in the group is actually doing their won shit. One was chatting with a flamboyant store owner, the other is having a fistfight duel with a bandit captain on the streets, and the ranger was fleeing from the bandits on her way to the farm since she was a wanted person. I told the players I encourage them to do their own shit. Unfortunately I had to HEAVILY encourage them to split up and be independent. I guess I need to be better at manipulating my players.

I had a retainer for one of the players, tried to have him start a conversation while the group was resting but the players didn't feel comfortable talking. I guess I have to ease them in.

>expecting me to give them the options for them to follow instead of them making their own paths
I hope you're not doing the "dump the players in a big open sandbox and let them discover their own adventures" thing.

Try asking them what they do when it's time to make camp. Who sets up the tent, who makes the fire, what they do before they fall asleep, if anything. It's a little, largely unobtrusive thing that gets them thinking about their characters are more than Human Fighter with a Greatsword.

What's a good name for a mirror with divination powers?

What kind of feel/tone does the setting or campaign have?

I mean
Blackrazor
How could you not

What do you want to know, exactly? It's a high magic campaign set in the Forgotten Realms. Running one of the modules, but altering it a bunch.

Teevy.

The easiest way to get someone to do something is to make that thing easier. Burning 30 minutes of game session just trying to get to the plot hook you want to explore only to be denied further once you get there is anything but encouraging.

Mirror of Farsight.
Diviner's Mirror.
Silver Speculum.
Specular Lens.
Looking Glass.

>What's stopping him from being social?
Himself

>Best
Artificer, Revised Ranger, and Warlock
>Worst
Monk and Wizard

As written, casting True Strike as a bonus action doesn't actually make it useful. It's a spell, so there's little you can do with your action afterwards and you cannot gain advantage from it until your next turn.

Most walls can be shaped like a line. Does that count?

Yo what's up with the retarded errata for draconic sorcerer's and their draconic affinity?

Does allowing it to account for all the rolls actually make it OP? Seems more like it cripples than anything, and makes your cantrip of choice arguably better than spending a spell slot.

If I'm to go with the errata, how do I apply it to things such as bonfire or to investiture of flame? You apparently only get to add it once. How can you even justify that from a world perspective? "Oh yeah, the bonfire was hotter just a second ago when he stepped in it but it cooled off a little."

Seems silly. Am I wrong in ignoring this errata?

You might confuse people who have newer PHBs. They've done several print runs now with the errata text written in.

>>you have better stuff to cast than fucking Hex.
>Actually, +3 Greatsword against AC 19, no hex:
>+14 to hit for 2d6+5+5+3+6
>+9 to hit for 2d6+5+5+3+6+10
>Actually, screw Hex and GWM (unless you want the bonus attack only).

Reposting for posterity. Hexblades. Don't fall into the GWM trap.

What do you mean you can do little with your action? A bonus action cantrip doesn't limit what your Action can be.

>A bonus action cantrip doesn't limit what your Action can be.
It limits so that the only spell you can cast is another cantrip.

I thought it was you can't cast two non cantrip spells on a single turn, but youre a-ok to do a lvl1 spell and a cantrip on the same turn.

That's only true if the level 1 spell was the bonus action. The rule is a bonus action spell of any level, even a cantrip, restricts your regular action to a cantrip or a non-spell action.

Nope. if you cast *any* spell as a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip with your Action.

Huh, neat.

In the case of bonus action true strike, why not just use your action first and true strike after? You're not gonna benefit from it til your next turn anyway.

Well everyone in my group has the older PHB, so that's not an issue.

It just seems to gimp sorcerers even more. They're supposed to be really good at the few spells they can cast right? Why not let them be the blasty mother fuckers they should be?

I mean, it seems like a rather reasonable trade off for the spells that it buffs. For example, the classic scorching ray. 2d6 per line. With the errata it goes to 6d6 + 5 instead of 6d6 + 15 assuming they all hit.

A warlock with EB spam gets to do 4d10+20 as a cantrip (again, assuming they all hit).

With the errata, why would a sorcerer ever cast scorcher as a level 2 spell when they could cast firebolt for 4d10+5 which has higher damage on average?

I suppose elemental adept could solve this. But still seems silly to me.

My bigger concern however is resolving and rationalizing other spells that don't have obvious "main" damage rolls such as investiture of flame and bonfire, as I previously mentioned.

>My bigger concern however is resolving and rationalizing other spells that don't have obvious "main" damage rolls such as investiture of flame and bonfire, as I previously mentioned.

The player chooses one roll. That's how the errata reads. The sorcerer gets to momentarily boost the spell 1 time.

>A warlock with EB spam gets to do 4d10+20 as a cantrip (again, assuming they all hit).

Warlocks deserve to have something nice since they're worse spellcasters than sorcerers in every other way.

Fair enough.

Yeah, I understand it. I still don't like it, however.

I don't think Warlock having Agonizing Blast is the problem, but why the fuck does the Sorcerer origin that was made for hitting harder with his spells needs this limitation. Isn't the base class already limited enough?

What is the nuke druid? I saw it posted in the other thread and hadn't heard it before.

The rule is reversible. If you cast a non-cantrip spell first, then you can't cast True Strike as a bonus action afterwards.

Das what I'm sayin mayne.

Seems to me someone at wizards hates sorcerers and loves wizards. Doesn't want the evocation school to be outclassed it seems.

It makes a lot more sense in my mind that a sorcerer always grants more power to his specific element. Why should it be a momentary boost one time?

Agonizing Blast doesn't apply to real spells like Elemental Affinity does. Evoker wizards get hit with the same nerf bat and none of the UA archetypes since Undying Light use such a mechanic without restriction either.

So what is the agreed-upon tiers list for 5e?

The one I've seen posted here the most is:

Tier 1 (can do anything, all the time): Clerics, wizards, bards
Tier 2 (can do most things some of the time): Druids, warlocks, paladins
Tier 3 (can do one thing most of the time): Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians
Tier 4 (total shit): Rangers, monks

So, basically the same as 3.x. The only thing 5e really changed was simplifying the rules (semi-good idea), rolling all the level-based bonuses into one thing (good idea), and turning all the interesting effects into shitty damage types (horrid idea).

It's still the same unbalanced shit-heap, except better balanced, and the imbalance is hidden behind a wall of once-per-day abilities. The superior choice is still either D&D 4e or AD&D depending if you want heroic heroes or semi-heroic dungeon crawling.

But why this nerf affects spells like Scorching Ray? You still need to make a spell attack roll for each ray.

4e is definitely the superior game, user. That's why /4eg/ is much more popular than /5eg/ and /pfg/, the first of which is its failed successor that reinstated all of the awful things that 4e threw out and the second of which is the ugly, malformed clone of 3.5.

There's absolutely no logical reason why 5e or PF would ever be more liked than 4e.

>Warlocks above fighters and rogues
>Forgot sorcerers
>categorized druids as the "can do most thing some of the time."

> The superior choice is still either D&D 4e or AD&D depending if you want heroic heroes or semi-heroic dungeon crawling.
4rries still fucking delusional.

Stale bait.

>Speculum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculum_(medical)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculum_(medical)
>A speculum (Latin for "mirror"; plural specula or speculums)
Yes?

Wtf are you doing wasting your slots on single-target damage as a sorcerer?

It wasn't a waste before the errata.

With the Silver Speculum, you get proficiency on Wisdom (Medicine) checks.

>the entire race is cursed never to have a creative thought in their entire lives

that sounds like it would be impossible to role play. Say, for instance, you decide to strategize or use an unconventional maneuver in combat,or use a spell in some way other than the most straightforward purpose? You just can't do that as a kenku?

Yeah it was. You could do so much more powerful things than single target damage with sorcerer spells.

> popularity equals quality meme

Nice non-argument. No, it's time for you to shut up. By your exact logic, Fifty Shades of Gray is a good book, Twilight and the Hungers Games are good books, Harry Potter is a good book, et cetera. Say it. In reply to this post, fucking say that just as I said it, no faggoty "/s" reddit sarcasm tag attached. Because that is what you are saying.

Also, there IS no reason why 5e is better than 4e, because 5e brings back everything that was wrong with teh game, that 4e fucking FIXED:

> armor class not improving by level
> hit dice
> vancian casting and spell matrices
> alignments
> shitty background mechanics
> martials are underpowered again

So basically, you are wrong. yeah, I know, hating on 4e got popular on here. Well, too damn bad. Because it's the best edition of D&D there is. At least if we are talking about ACTUAL RPG QUALITY and not the stupid fucking insane rubric used by grognards who want all their OSR bullshit perfectly preserved. Merals accidentally designed a half-way decent game, then realized that 4e wasn't producing enough shekels (nervousmerchant.jpg) so he immediately came out and said, "4e is shit! We're making a fifth edition to pander to the motherfucking grognards who comprise 1% of the fucking hobby, and THAT is the best way to make a new game." Then once the 3aboos had what they wanted (a shitty reboot of 3e with less mechanics and more crap) they started singing its praises, and the game showed up on five different fucking TV shows and got popular. Then Wizards of the Coast saw the shekels pouring in and misattributed that to them designing a good game, instead of the truth, which is that 3.5 and 5e are shit editions and are basically the laughingstock of the real RPG community.

Go have a look at the retarded rules in AD&D. You see that? THAT is what Merals and the others were pandering to with 5e. And it's a hot plate of steaming shit, no matter how many hipster faggots buy the game.

what if I do 3 in devotion paladin for the +cha to hit

Can you shits take your shitspewing somewhere else.

It's one dude posting pasta. The posting style is the same every time these arguments appear.

Of course, user. You're totally right.

That's why nobody dropped 4e like it was hot trash the moment that a WotC-made alternative to it came out.

Monks, aka stun machines as the lowest? Top kek m8

Wizards may be king, but skills have played a large part in most of the games I've played, even high level ones.

Then you would normally overcap your to hit bonus, so power attack would probably be worthwhile to use. Seems unlikely to happen though.

Then you guys stop taking the bait.

5eg isn't where you vent that.

well you get jackshit at level 18/19/20 of warlock in comparison to devotion paladins, so I think if it's a 20th level campaign or somehow the player got to that point despite most campaigns dying before then, it's probably worth it

Bulette

If I don't want to run a bladesinger or a bladelock, what are my magic/melee options?

Eldritch Master is 4 more 5th level slots a day. You also give up your 8th invocation and an ASI. It's not free.

Eldritch Knight

Could I combine the eldritch knight/hexblade and stone sorcerer for maximum edgelord/flavor potential?

Or Arcane Trickster, I guess.
Plus, Hexblade doesn't lock you in to Blade Pact.

Damn, you're right. Well, I guess they could still get a Firebolt with advantage off, but it's still rather underwhelming. Guess I could add that when they use that item' property, they can ignore the restriction on bonus action spells?

Always wanted to stick things in my party members' butts

Not quite that simple.

I would have to say paladins are flat-out hte best at combat, though they lack out of combat (And some in combat) flexibility.
Druids are up with the clerics/wizards/bards because moon druid can be very strong at the lower levels or at the higher levels land druids still get just about enough spellslots compared to wizards and can still cast stuff like polymorph and some reincarnation stuff and such. Maybe wizard and bard are better, but not enough better to warrant another tier.
And tier two is very blurry, could well be every single other class.

Rangers are okay with the new UA. Monks are actually fine, they're just rather heavily specified and a player who has no idea what they're doing can fuck up if they don't focus dex/wis or make use of mobility and such.

Compared to 3.5e's tiers, there's only really tier 1 and tier 2 with a bit of tier 3 if you fuck things up and tier 4 is honestly impressive if you manage to get there without intending to.

Is Helm alive again?

Oh, shit, yeah, and Stone Sorcerer.

And sure you could, but I'm not entirely certain how useful it'd be.

They're to check the cervix and help with pap smears.

Is it too MAD? Or too scattered in class features to be useful? :

>Bladesinger
Obnoxious. It's just wizard with a load of AC.

>bladelock
Use new hexblade, waste all your invocations on combat shit and wonder what you're doing with your life. Better than bladesinger, at least.

Yes. Basically everyone is.

>When you use your action to cast a divination cantrip, you can cast a spell as a bonus action
2/short rest or prof/day

Designing a throwaway edgelord mini boss that's a Tiefling with a Mask who fights with a spear and is hellbent on testing the party Tiefling fighter's worth by attempting to kill her.

What would be some dope special moves for a spear fighting dude? Is it cooler to give him loads of extra actions or minions (which I worry would detract from his lone murderdude appeal)?

I just don't know, really. I've only been in two campaigns for a total of two sessions each, and that was with dragon sorc and homebrew Wizard.
If nothing else, Hexblade and Stone Sorcerer could be solid with the melee by manner of using CHA for melee as well as spells.
He said DON'T.

The issue it creates is that multi hit spells of lower levels trump higher level spells is nearly every case. You can still eldritch blast, and magic missile, but that's their explanation.

Just make them the religious warriors of an Evil God