Are there ANY high fantasy settings that use paper currency?

Are there ANY high fantasy settings that use paper currency?

mid-level D&D
Scrolls allow you to pack more value per weight than coins would.

Discworld. There was a book about it. One of the best books.

You know paper currency originated in china in the 12th century, right?

RIGHT?

The last one before senility started to show?

how is that relevant? we're talking about FANTASY

He's trying to be the Paper Money version of the potato autists. Just ignore him.

Exalted uses jade backed paper in the Realm

>coins counting towards weight

Yeah, though it has a few cracks.
I actually read it before Going Postal, and liked it better before then - they're very similar, even for books in a related sub-series.

The next one, Unseen Academicals is pretty divisive - I think it's got its charms, but the actual story there helps a lot. There's certainly a few flaws though.

Both Snuff and Raising Steam I don't think I'd read again - maybe once more, but they're both poor.

Shepard's Crown is pretty decent, but again that's very much content (and also the context), and the fact that his daughter wrote a fairly large bit helps

The original encumbrance system measured with "the weight of a coin" as the unit for weight, c also

>metal disks of metal not counting towards weight

The Spawn of Fashan uses bank notes called, well, "bank notes".

The way I run my setting, you get bank notes for large denominations. Your "gold" is actually "converted gold value". You might have 35,000 goldsworth of rarer metals, gemstones, and banknotes, depending on your character's background and where they got the money.

This solves the gold-weight issue, and it also gets rid of that retarded imagery of carrying thousands of coins on your person.

>and it also gets rid of that retarded imagery of carrying thousands of coins on your person.

I'm sorry, what? You want to take all 50,000 gold pieces with you on your adventure? Do you have a cart for it? Why not leave some gold at home?

What if you're always on the run?

I see that as being counter to amassing a huge sum of wealth

Is adventuring inherently anticapitalist?

I simply believe there are many methods in a fantasy world of hoarding/hauling your gold that it should have an actual impact on the way things go.

The RAW I remember from 3.5 was 50 coins to a pound, but I haven't checked since then for DnD or ever needed to for any other system I can think of

Quite the opposite, rootless murderhobos are the very foundation of the market economy. Go read Graeber's Debt.

Adventuring is very much anarcho-capitalist. You don't violate the NAP unless you can get away with it.

Would continuing to post rare zizeks be frowned upon, then?

>This solves the gold-weight issue, and it also gets rid of that retarded imagery of carrying thousands of coins on your person.
Reminder that the ORIGINAL 'example of play' involved spending 40 minutes shoveling copper out of a chest.

At that point, why not just drag the chest around?

Also: Free chest

>Sahud has a wide range of coins, with the most common being the silver yen ($10). Sahudese aristocrats occasionally use privately-printed paper money; the rest of the world finds this bewildering.

?