How would you run a D&D/Pathfinder (same thing) setting where people are aware of levels?

How would you run a D&D/Pathfinder (same thing) setting where people are aware of levels?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Google "Isekai"

boom you're done.

eschew some obfuscation, user

Most "Isekai" settings are based on Japanese MMOs. Isekai is basically a genre of escapism where an average joe gets transported FOR SOME REASON to a new world, usually also having them be super competent for other reasons to maximize escapism potential.

In more concrete terms. you run the setting like a lot of these shows do. Kono Suba is a parody of the genre, but does the world building surprisingly well, AND has a very good example of what you're looking for. Basically adventurers are pretty common, and they are all part of the adventurer's guild, who oversees quests and whatnot. Every adventurer gets a little card with their stats and skills on it, and as they gain experience they can put points into stuff using the guild.
You also have mundane people who don't adventure, because reasons. (usually because its more dangerous than being a dirt farmer)

*ahem* Power levels are meaningless.

Came here to post this.

Post yfw you realized Chronicles of Narnia is technically the first Isekai novel.

i think you mean the bible >B)

Why are they meaningless?

he's referring to the scouter's setting; in particular that its "power levels" wildly vary even if abstracted on some hypothetical logarithmic curve, and are always subservient to plot

>"What is golden frieza's power level?"
>>"If I would have to say, it'd be 100,000,000,000,000,000,000"
-writer of current DBZ

Even if you want to tip your fedora, I don't get it. Are you implying Jesus got transported to an alternate world?

he wrote "novel," not "random collection of jewish scrolls"

Powerlevels are real in DBZ, scouters are shit though, they can't detect rapid variations of ki, that's why Goku looked like he barely had 1000 units but in reality he was well above 80.000 (vs Tokusentai)

It wasn't Toriyama who said that but the voice actor of Frieza. And when asked Golden Frieza's power level, he said "because Frieza is a nice guy, I'd have to say it'd be 100,000,000,000,000,000,000".

The joke only works in Japanese. Do you know how that number is pronounced in the Nihons? Nasugai, which sounds like Naisu Gai (Engrish for nice guy).

It's a joke.

You mean they aren't already aware of levels? What would change?
Just knowing that levels exist doesn't mean you will know the level of every person you meet.
Sure, there's a spell for that. There's also a spell to teleport, but normal people don't exclusively travel that way. Magic is a luxury.

Japaneses looooooooove puns

>what is alice in fucking wonderland

Epic of thinly veiled pedophilia?

On more serious note, I think we can find some sort of portal fantasy even further back in history.

immense clerical bureaucracy.

Which bothers me, because their language is so convoluted that fucking everything is a pun.

Konosuba

He did.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrowing_of_Hell

Isekai protagonist checklist:
- Got transported to another world upon violent death : check
- Invulnerable and omnipotent in the new world when he did not show those traits IRL : check
- World is filled with backward people from Earth's past : check
- Was hailed as the long-awaited savior by the residents : check
- Converts all the residents to his values by preaching at them : check
- Saved everyone in an implausibly short time : check

That actually makes sense and I don't like that.

All those shitty Gary Stu protagonists get called Jesus for a reason.

I'm imagining jesus's soul doing the best dive in history through the earth into sheol and giving the finger to the devil.