Suppose a sengoku like war breaks out, who would win?

Suppose a sengoku like war breaks out, who would win?

The Void.

Fu Leng.

Fox clan.

Without some kind of divine intervention it would be the clan with most flexible doctrine so maybe the Mantis. Crane might be the ones to begin it but they would be eaten by whoever they pay to fight for them in the end.

Lion.

Fucker conquered a country as part of his vacation.

I'm afraid that Lion would be killed by Mantis, Scorpion and Unicorn coalition fighting in name of the Crane.

What is this?

Honestly, this is a tough puzzle. Crab would likely survive, but they wouldn't expand and they wouldn't lose ground. The wall is too important. The Lion and Scorpions are fucked, I think the Crane would probably "win" but it'd be costly and many of the other clans would still exist.

Crab would be reliant on their ability to send troops north and not need them to return south. If they can do that, they're tough enough to be a thorn in whoever gets in their way. If not, then the lack of resources being traded to them is going to be an issue. Without that, they can't support the troops they have at the activity they need.

Lion have the largest armies in Rokugan, and the largest and best farming land, too. Tangling with them will mess up the first few clans that try.

Scorpion are also going to ruin someone's day, but they don't have the numbers to survive ongoing attrition.

Crane are in roughly the same position as the Scorpion numbers wise, but their armies run the length of Rokugan's coastlines. They are fucked.

Unicorn can put up a stiff defence to prevent the Lion walking right up to their front door, but history says it won't be good enough to do more than delay their arrival.

Dragon are actually idiots, and don't use volcanic soil for farming. Instead, all their farms right out in front of their lands for the Lion to crush and starve them out. Changing that would mean they can simply wait it out.

Does Crane have enough military power or would they use alliances? I think Crane would do well initially (Ashikaga kind of deal) but would ultimately be beaten by some independedly strong clan. Atleast i would expect them to be used by their backer clans.

I guess Lion would be frightening enough that some of the clans would form a coalition to beat them. Crane might be paying for the campaign.

They'd likely act as a financial backer, in a "let's have you and you fight it out" situation. They do have their own fairly impressive military power, having a scouting unit trained in the use of gaijin pepper and standing armies. I imagine they'd only ever use their own strength to fight on the defensive.
You're implying that the people who fight the lion will do so on their own. Everyone knows the Lion has the biggest standing army, there's 0 chance there won't be an alliance against them. They're ww2 Germany, essentially. Too big to let go unchecked.

>You're implying that the people who fight the lion will do so on their own
Not really, no.

>At the beginning of the 12th century, the size of the general armies of each of the Clans was:
>Crab Clan Army: 300,000
>Crane Clan Army: 150,000
>Dragon Clan Army: 200,000
>Lion Clan Army: 500,000
>Shiba Army: 100,000
>Scorpion Clan Army: 200,000
>Unicorn Clan Army: 270,000
>Minor Clans and Ronin: 200,000 (combined)

There is already an alternate setting for this scenario, The Shattered Empire, and according to that the answer is "nobody".

New general?

That's not quite normal. Generally, the Crab have the largest standing army, but most of it is tied up on the Wall (Literally 3 out of their 4 and a half armies, on average). It's said that they can outfight any other two clans together except the Lion and the Unicorn, who they can stalemate.

Cite it.

I should clarify that when I say Lion and Unicorn, I mean them separately. Nothing in Rokugan could outfight two of the three militaristic clans working together. Luckily, they almost never work together.

Kakaroto

Great Clans, sidebar page 12. "In truth, if the Crab were ever able to rally their full strength, they could probably defeat almost any other two clans simultaneously, with the exception of the Lion and possibly the Unicorn." Various older books from older sources say that the Crab have the largest military that really can't move away from the wall.

Thats kind of the point

If you really look at the way Hantei set up the clans, he did it specifically to eternally foil them so none of his siblings could ever reign supreme over the other.

Akodo he threw the bone of being the general, so he could enjoy his War and Honor Autism

Doji he let feel important and special because he knew she was a fickle bitch

Hida he sent to the south where his bloodthirsty impulses could be turned towards the Shadowlands

Togashi he gave vague instructions to knowing that fucker would spend eternity doing it like some autist

Shinjo fucked off on her own

Shiba was a sad sack and never a threat

Bayushi was his ace in the hole, he tricked that fucker into being the guy to fuck any of the others if they ever got too strong

The entire structure of the Clan system was set up by the Son of Heaven to make sure none of them could ever rule over the others or usurp Imperial Power. It's mostly worked. But it also means that authority can never really coalesce or centralize, and the clans can never really work together unless annihilation is at stake

The Fortunes are dicks, and humanity is just a toy in their little game

Kolat 4 ever

Nah, the reason why the Clans are incompetent fucks is because rokugani samurai are truly incompetent fucks. And cripple fights tend to not produce winners.

probably tokugawa

They are incompetent fucks but that's by design. Who created Rokugani Culture? Doji. Who created Bushido? Akodo - admittedly one of the more chill Kami, ironic given how the lion turned out. But it's still all a method of control meant to keep people stupid and dependent on the celestial order.

It's all a fucking scam by the Kami and the Fortunes to make humanity their bitch, and it doesn't fly in Gaijin realms cause those niggas got black powder.

>Various older books from older sources say that the Crab have the largest military that really can't move away from the wall.
Way Of The Dragon gives those numbers.

>it doesn't fly in Gaijin realms
Funnily enough, the Yodotai worship ten fallen gods that sound remarkably like the Kami.

Actually, it does. The gaijin who invented firearms have stagnated hard because their own divine emperor decided that they were already perfect and any improvements or alterations are punished by death.

Then they all died in a plague.

Sounds ... lazy

It happened off screen.

which setting?

sengoku implies a huge multi-faction civil war...

Everyone else could figure it out. Keep staring at the OP until you do too.