Post-Apocalyptic General

What kinda game are you running? You got more of a gonzo Gamma World setting, or a harsher Road Warrior type deal?

Recc'd systems?

Other urls found in this thread:

ruinations-rpg.tumblr.com/
docdroid.net/FrxCKOl/ruinations.pdf.html
mega.nz/#F!REc1EKaQ!3QHos5Lhj8VP0EWFziRpMg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>no one ever wants to play Gamma World

Feels bad man

Maybe they'd be willing to try Mutant Future or MCC when they're out?

I am running a Degenesis system and really enjoy it. Although havent played any other besides Savage Worlds so I can't compare much. Its got great lore and the mechanics are solid.

I find the lore to be pretty shit to be honest and the way the game handles guns stinks of someone trying to justify spending time studying blackpowder without googling how modern bullets are made.

Everything Africa is a complete afterthought and frankly details on the ground about how all the spore shit work and the super soldiers are so vague as to force GMs to come up with shit whole cloth in a lot of places.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFTTTSSSSS

Been running a game of Godless, which is the post-apocalyptic, Mad Max-esque supplement for the Shadow of the Demon Lord system. Pretty cool stuff! It's definitely a lethal system but the character aren't supposed to be pushovers either.

What's best is that you only go up to level 10. There ARE optional rules in one of the SotDL books to go up to 20 but it's not assumed.

twilight 2000 for a more operator feel

Hey someone playing SotDL. I've been looking at Godless, you recommend?

Isn't that book like the most obtuse shit set of rules?

Fate Core

with like, lots of gun rules

and some survivalism

the rules are pretty simple, but since it wants /k/ levels of gun autism there are mountains of stats for vehicles and guns you might never run into in your game

Wrote my own hack called Ruinations. It's based off LotFP and takes bits from all other kinds of games (DCC's 'Mighty Deeds', Mutant Future/GW style mutations, S&W saves.)

Healthy mix of old-school simplicity and a condensed modern D&D era skill system.

ruinations-rpg.tumblr.com/
>docdroid.net/FrxCKOl/ruinations.pdf.html

Writing and playtesting a hexcrawl for it lately, set in the PNW.

Am I thinking of the wrong system, because isn't Twilight 2000 the one where the rules for recoil and armour pen are mentioned in a side example and nowhere else?

maybe. recoil is handled by semi vs full auto in 2k and armor pen was pretty straightforward
maybe a first edition misprint or some shiz idk

If you like SotDL? And Mad Max? Then fuck yes you will.

What's cool is that there's no real setting assumptions on what caused the apocalypse or how long it's been since it happened. Apocalypse could have been nukes, aliens, magic apocalypse, robot uprising, or all of the above.

Also, there's a race called the Inheritors that are cockroach people. The only flaw with the book is that they aren't playable by default and now I gotta spend all of 20 minutes making stats for them.

I haven't started the game, but I'm making the setting for one right now. It's got Fallout style science-fiction wackiness, but overall it's probably closer to Mad Max. It's set in a world where nuclear weapons are never invented but a global war between NATO and the Warsaw pact in the late 70s resulted in massive amounts of insane alternative superweapons getting deployed.

Neat. We played a rando game of SotDL up to like level 9 and it was fun as hell.

So is it like full on gritty hardcore down to earth survivalist horror swarming with magic robots?

keep in mind OG fallout was less 'LE WHACKY 1950s' and more 'okay remember that world of tomorrow shit? blow it the fuck up.' OG fallout had punks and goths and more typical scifi weaponry and designs. I like some of bethesda's retrofuture shit but they forgot the '1950s hyper cultural hegemony' aspect of shit and just froze all development.

In fallout subcultures like punks and goths and rock and roll and rap and whatever the fuck you feel like bringing up existed but never entered the mainstream because a hyper jingoistic government dissolved the states, turned them into 13 commonwealths and allowed corporations to run rampant and do whatever the fuck they wanted. Then a plague started killing people off (explicitly a bioweapon that the USA either lost control of or a chinese plot) and went to war with china while europe sort of devoured itself.

personally I'd lean more towards stuff like solar power and wind power picking up prominence and ultra lithium batteries if you aren't pushing nuclear power.

Yeah pretty much. Still pretty much as lethal as SotDL can get. Clockworks are Transcendents, human minds uploaded in robutt bodies. Other non-human races like dwarves and goblins are human mutants. Fey are...fey.

You also get more Interesting Things table. They're pretty cool but you can get some downright weird or hilarious rustles like

>collection of every Adam Sandler movie on VHS
>diploma from Trump University
>a copy of Monopoly

Game is still very much horror and gritty mind you, but it still has those quirks that prevent it from taking itself 100% seriously which I appreciate.

You may appreciate this.

Sounds awesome, I'll have to check it out.

I didn't really mean culturally, it not having the cultural stagnation in the fifties, though it certainly has a lot of those dystopic elements that the original Fallouts said and implied about the world. I mainly just meant in terms of technological anachronism, though without the nuclear stuff. There are rogue war robots running all over, the army was starting to ship out laser rifles to troops, and one of the main weapons that got used during the war was biological weapons similar to FEV. Everything runs mainly on petrol or diesel, with wind being the main non-fossil fuel source of power in the wastes.

Thanks, fukkin saved. Also fuck off auto correct! >weird or hilarious rustles

I guess that makes as much sense as "results".

neat, have you considered using alcohol for fuel in vehicles? Not the most efficient substance but if you can get a decent alcohol industry going you can power generators and vehicles on the stuff.

I'm trying to cook up a D&D setting that is basically "industrialized magic (ala Eberron) world blows itself all to shit (ala RIFTS); untold generations later, you're trying to forge a society out of the mutated survivors of the old world (ala Fallout meets Gamma World D20)".

Does that count for the purposes of this thread?

I hadn't thought of it, but there are probably those that have tried it. A lot of the world is dusty wasteland, but there's still plenty left where you could grow mutant crops or just harvest plants to make it.

I don't know a huge amount about making alcohol for fuel though.

you don't need to get too into it, internal combustion engines need to be optimized for their fuel source but alcohol burns and the main reason we use gasoline for fuel is its very energy efficient. Anyone without ready access to the stuff will get by.

you can also have greenhouses and stuff. Be neat to convert an old dome stadium into a massive greenhouse.

>make moonshine
>pour into engine
>oy blin

I didn't realize it was that simple.

Can I make a quick request for pictures of post-apocalyptic mutants that used to be people?

>mega.nz/#F!REc1EKaQ!3QHos5Lhj8VP0EWFziRpMg

Here is my post-apocalyptic trove. Hope you find shit you like in it.

Do you add fantasy elements to your games, or keep it more 'real'?

Fantasy elements like nuclear radiation making cockroaches the size of dogs or fantasy elements like a tribal shaman actually doing magic?

The latter.

Rarely, and only as stuff like anomalies in Metro 2033 or Stalker.

I do it sometimes but I'm fond of urban fantasy and having the masquerade broken.

Then again I'm in a Dark Heresy game in a custom setting built on the apocalypse bringing magic into the world as a jetpack templar who hunts monsters.

Atomic Highway is the best game for mad max like adventures. Easy and fast rules, vehicle combat and customisation
And it's free

I really want to run a gonzo , 1st edition gamma world post apocalypse game with crazy characters and heavy metal shit. Does anyone remember the goofy shorts (there weren't many of them) on MTV called "the wastelander?". It was a goofy short cartoon about a dude with a robot arm fuckin up mutants. That is what I want to do in gamma world.

It's only tangentially relatex, but I am very excited for red markets to come out. Zombie apocalypse is still kind of apocalypse, right?

sounds like a blast.

Personally I kinda want to run a game set in the technomancer universe which takes place on a partially terraformed mars after some disaster cuts them off from earth.

You're thinking of MULTILATOR