How come many RPG systems restrict martial classes to what is "physically possible"? Is it 3.PF's massive influence?

How come many RPG systems restrict martial classes to what is "physically possible"? Is it 3.PF's massive influence?

did somebody shit in yer cornflakes, bud? it's been a while....

"The first warp-spasm seized CĂșchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage."

Barbarian rages ain't shit.

Because game designers don't know what they want going into the system and end up trying to justify their inconsistencies.

Instead of adopting a single policy towards PC capabilities from the get go and establishing a strong core design concept to guide their efforts, they put things together scattershot.

Plus it's easier to make up cool, awesome magic than it is to do cool martial stuff. A lot of it is laziness, people defaulting to 'realism' regardless of how appropriate is because they don't have the creative talent to make martial characters interesting and useful otherwise.

It's a stupid double standard that needs to die, but it isn't 3.PF's fault.

It's because deep down, you really don't love your Waifruit enough. Go home, and tell your Apple you love her, and then proceed to fuck the seeds out of her. Oranges a shit.

>apples
>not kiwis

No wonder you don't care about martials. You're not healthy enough!

I wish Slaine was more mainstream.

>Many RPGs

List these RPGs. I'm not finding any trouble like this with MnM. Then again, there is no martial/caster classes in it.

Superhero RPGs aren't really a good point of comparison, since the caster/martial divide isn't really there.

I've seen a few variations on this. Is this a new meme? I don't hate it.

Yes, but at least I like my waifruit shaved... and with some meat on her.

I try and use it to derail threads with shitty topics, this is just another Martial Vs. Caster thread with some 3.5 finger pointing, and will end up being the same shitty thread unless it's derailed.

Well, yeah. It's an important topic.

I blame 3.PF because the divide didn't really exist beforehand. Certainly not in mythology.

Politics are important too, but nobody really enjoys talking about them when they know it'll just lead to a lot of unproductive and unenjoyable yelling. Even on /pol/ any coherent political discussion that occurs is usually accidental.

>many RPG systems
Which RPGs? 3.PF and to a lesser extent 5e are the only systems I know doing this bullshit.

Well pathfinder has that path of war thing that makes things a bit spicier for martials.

A lot of 3.PF derivatives. Hence why I suspect it's the cause.

Which was cribbed by a third party, not Paizo, from what was essentially a playtest for 4e.

Well, of course 3.PF derivatives that fuck over martials do so because 3.PF does it.
That's neither reason nor food for discussion.

A third-party clone of a 3.5 splatbook. Paizo would never help the martial art.

Your waifruit a shit.

Pineapples are best waifruit

play 4e user.

Martial classes turn into monsterous powerhouses.

>Clone
It's a clone of Bo9S like Smoked Gouda is a clone of American cheese.

PoW/PoW: E are way better than Bo9S.

That's not even true in 3.PF

user, let me tell you secret. It's the fact the it's not mainstream that makes it good. The people that work on it have way more freedom to do whatever the hell they want and are not bogged down by anyone's demands.

5th edition fighters can cast spells, like for free, baked in.

and then there's magic initiate, and multiclassing.

>5th edition fighters can cast spells, like for free, baked in.

If they pick an archetype.

Either way, (I think) OP means that once a fighter stops actually doing anything related to fighting or taking hits, he drops back to being about 30-50% more effective than the average joe at best.

Like, level 20 fighter can fight off 200 orcs, but only has 5-6 more athletics than at level 1 at most. That's what, a few feet of extra jump distance? He goes from godly hero to "kinda good" the moment he isn't in a fight.

Nobody is bogged down by people's demands. Unless someone is directly comissioning you, you have every right and duty to say "You are not a game designer, fuck off"

If you get big, you end up with investors, advertisers and stock owners, all of which want to stick their fingers in your asshole.

Man, Apple fanboys are the words.

>and establishing a strong core design concept to guide their efforts

Not understanding the core design is not the same as their not being one.

It's ridiculous how people will try to hate on D&D from contradictory angles. On one side, there's idiots like you who think D&D should be more of a narrow, limited system that encourages only one style of play, and on the other side you've got idiots complaining about it for being a narrow, limited system that encourages only one type of play.

You are both wrong, though at least your motivation isn't to try and say that unless you want to play with every single class you shouldn't play D&D.

It's a toolset, to provide for a variety of types of adventures and adventurers, and it has a strong core design concept in this. It's a game that discourages the idea that you need a to relearn a thousand core systems just to play a different theme, and each of its parts is versatile either through selection and addition or through simple refluffing.

I understand some people are literally desperate to get other people to play their less popular games, but the spread of all this misinformation and misinterpretation does nothing except encourage people to go through more effort than they need relearning base systems that very likely just aren't as good as D&D.

>I understand some people are literally desperate to get other people to play their less popular games, but the spread of all this misinformation and misinterpretation does nothing except encourage people to go through more effort than they need relearning base systems that very likely just aren't as good as D&D.

If you are pretending, you are doing great.

Please don't do something as stupid as pitching GURPS and pretending that has a better base system.

It's just one guy who wants to be a mod but his mom won't let him.

Hey, I saw you talking about that spoiler on the Veeky Forums birthday thread.
I don't exactly think it's that effective, but good on you for trying something new, user

No, I mean you are pretending to be Mr. petty.

Because it makes sense in settings where magic is not limited.

>you again

Shit, thread over. Trolls begging to be trolled for 200+ posts incoming.

>
It's a toolset, to provide for a variety of types of adventures and adventurers, and it has a strong core design concept in this. It's a game that discourages the idea that you need a to relearn a thousand core systems just to play a different theme, and each of its parts is versatile either through selection and addition or through simple refluffing.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

You could not be more wrong, DnD is one of the most limiting systems out there for themes, it locks itself so firmly into the idea of combat-heavy, fantasy-setting games focused on small bands of heroes. In every edition

I remember you. You're that headcase trying to errect a solitary 3.PF boogeyman so that you can argue against things no one is saying all for your little game of system politics. Do us all a favor, and get off the internet before your neurosis gets so bad that you call your mom petty before stabbing her for not giving you extra ketchup with your chicken tendies.

Is there a game where spellcasters are the weakest class/type?

>what is the witcher

And that's a bad thing?

That still adheres to the logic of "you must be a caster to do the impossible"

So play exalted

Skyrim.

Can't really think of a system.

Not at all. Just doesn't really add much to the conversation.

It is when the conversation is why martials and mages can never be equals.

You can make a case of there being a difference between a psionic hero (Psylocke, Professor X, Phoenix), magic heroes (Zatanna, Dr. Fate), technological heroes (Cyborg, Green Lantern), alien heroes (Superman, Martian Manhunter), mutants (Quake, Wolverine, Deadpool), or humanoid heroes (Batman, Robin, The Question) yet when you stack them up against each other, there are plenty of instances in which one had a leg up over the other in one storyline while being at a disadvantage in another storyline.

All in all, I think that games would benefit more from trying to emulate comics or anime (where everyone in the cast is technically powerful enough to deal with most given threats in different ways) then whatever the fuck 3.PF was trying to do where martial=mundane and magic=limitless power at no cost.

Forced meme

It's hilarious that you think its all about D&D. Really shows your persecution complex.

Exalted 2e, where Sorcery was expensive to learn, costly to do, and slow to activate.