DMing a cyberpunk GURPS game

>DMing a cyberpunk GURPS game
>every player is a shitty min-maxer
>notice everyone took the colorblindness disadvantage
>mfw I make them defuse a bomb with color-coded wires

how did they all do that?

They all assumed it was basically free points, being colorblind SHOULDN'T matter in most games.

How many fatalities?

Righteously so, every time some asshole tries to pull some tryhard min-maxing, this is the guy who dies first.

Fear of water, fear of open water and you can't swim? Seriously? You wake up alone on a small rescue boat on the ocean, motherfucker!

>playing GURPS
>not expecting autistic minmaxers
there was your first mistake

To be fair, the example you gave would be a pretty decent character flaw, and not something I would smack down as min-maxing immediately. (Unless the campaign was set in a desert or something)

nearly wiped everyone, only one guy survived because he was guiding them through the situation on comms

>Okay it says cut the blue wire
>Wait, which one is blue? I'm colorblind
>Shit, so am I
>Me too
>Seriously?
>tfw

WEW

You have only yourself to blame for your players' "minmaxed" characters, OP. You're supposed to approve characters in advance and encourage people to build sheets to the character concept, not the other way around (hurr look at dis sweet build he's a paraplegic mentalist who can teleport and crush people to death with his mind and has no skills except the ones he needs to use his powers hurrdurr).

The whole advantage of GURPS is to be able to build well-rounded, "real"-feeling individuals with a life, background, purpose, relationships and personality as well as context within the game world.

I mean, unless you told them to just build "whatever" from the start and intended for them to build a bunch of one-trick colorblind dead broke ponies with dead families being chased by the mob for the most gonzo game possible. In which case, sounds like things went as planned.

If they pull the same shit give Them color based leads.
The Red door brings Death, the Blue brings wealth
Both Doors are Red

Is their party name the "Colour Guards," OP? If not, it should be.

Triggered me from the whole Shadowrun negative qualities shit

thanks a bunch, OP

> his players don't carry around the optical wavelength detector
Remember, kids, red is around 400 nm, while violet is around 700 nm.

Hohohoho!

>implying minmaxers would put any points into Physics or Electronics Operation (Sensors)

You know what's fucking scary. I am an Electrician and I was partnered up with a guy that had Red/Green Colorblindness. I had to go through and re-check all his work because he was too proud tell anyone he was colorblind until I happened to catch him splicing a fucking ground to a hot. Had the bastard told me, I'd have put a wrap of tape on the reds so he could see what the fuck was what.

He could have smoked some multimillion dollar robots and motor controllers with that shit or worse, blown someone the fuck up.

I'm in a GURPS campaign now, and none of my fellow players are autistically minmaxed. Two guys are kind of "optimal", and the rest of us are various degrees of useless bullshit, and it's great.

>Red/Green Colorblindness
Can't he just use other colours then?

>too proud tell anyone he was colorblind
umm, if this is true, then you are right in bashing, this is a case of lying about your qualifications since this will affect his performance, tell someone else about it before he fucks up.

Did you not set a disadvantage limit or something?
Players should be building a character not a statblock anyways, if your players are blighted by DnD mentality it's best to be a bit more strict on chargen. find it best to have them write up a character first and then make their character around that only allowing them to take things they can justify for their character. Min-maxing is pretty easy to punish anyways as most min-maxers will take some pretty glaring disadvantages that the GM can use against him.

Having run gurps for a couple of groups it doesn't matter what limitations you put on disadvantages or how you approach character creation. If a player wants to be a jackass power gamer they're going to be a jackass power gamer.

>GMing cyberpunk GURPS game of my own
>player takes colorblindness disadvantage

Is this a trend?

You can't! He's "disabled"! That would be discrimination and a violation of the Disability Act!

It's been a while since I had Business Law, but if I remember correctly, doesn't it have to have a consistent, meaningful impact on day-to-day life to qualify? Colorblindness short of full monochromacy hardly qualifies as "meaningful impact."

Um, no. If your disability prevents you doing your job and/or you lied on you application then they can boot you no worries

>it doesn't matter what limitations you put on disadvantages or how you approach character creation
Well... yeah, it does. Both of those things matter a lot.
>If a player wants to be a jackass power gamer they're going to be a jackass power gamer.
I've never had this problem during chargen without being able to successfully address it prior to the campaign starting.

I'm not claiming you didn't have bad experiences with power gamers, but it is absolutely an identifiable, addressable issue. As a GM, you need to integrate with your players during character creation, be an active part of chargen, give them feedback, know when to say "no" or "yes, but," etc. and be willing to turn down character concepts or specific details on their sheets. Power gamers and min-maxers only run amok if you allow those antics to flower, as GM.

I usually don't even have players just "build a character," personally. I ask for and approve or decline character concepts up-front, then help each player build to that specific concept. It pretty much eliminates those potential issues before it even begins, and gets people invested in the idea of who/what they want to play right from the get-go (which cuts down on concept meandering and book-perusing for ridiculous traits that will just get declined, anyway).

ADA only says that they have to provide a decent workaround for your disability. Marking specific wires with labels or tape, like user stated, would be considered a legal and reasonable workaround.

That said, they CAN fire him for lying about not having a disability that would directly impact his ability to work. Mixing up wires would be dangerous as all hell, and would be something that gets you fired and the company in hot water.

Red/Green colorblindness isn't considered a full-blown disability, but you are required to inform your employer of it, because most professions have red and green things that are important for work.

If he didn't tell his employer about his colorblindness until AFTER he fucked up, the liability would be on him, not his employer. Not only could he get fired, but the company could even possibly pursue damages.

>I happened to catch him splicing a fucking ground to a hot.

>it have to have a consistent, meaningful impact on day-to-day life
Well it sure fucks up his work performance on a daily basis, donnit?

"Ground" is the wire that brings a current to the earth in case anything goes wrong. "Hot" is a live wire. Not to sure what splicing means, I'm not that user.

as far as Cyberpunk 2020's rules are concerned, that is EXACTLY how you handle people dumb enough to take disadvantages.

Splicing is joining two wires together.

What user described would basically be installing a colossal short that dumped power straight to ground.

A lot of wire colours have standardised meanings, so you don't have to trace a wire back to it's point of origin to know what it is especially if it's bundled in a cable,as that's virtually impossible.

Disadvantages are a normal part of GURPS and nearly all of them give out penalties to rolls or roleplay but no more. I wouldn't go for the kill for anything but "cursed", or "terminal illness" if the player fucked up on getting whatever prolongs his life.

Green, Bare, White, and Neutral Grey are specified in the National Electric Code as required colors. The first two for grounding conductors (aka grounds) and the second two for grounded conductors (aka neutrals). Red is commonly used for 120/208 voltage wiring and for motor controls, it isn't required or "standardized" but it is traditional.

A Grounding Conductor, or ground, is your failsafe if something goes wrong and connected to the earth some way, like being tied to a 8 foot copper rod driven into the ground. Electricity follows the path of least resistance and a copper wire has relatively low resistance if something goes wrong in the device it should go to ground protecting people and property from damage. Touching a grounding conductor won't hurt you pretty much ever. By code Grounding Conductors are always Green or Bare

The Hot is the energized conductor(s). They are the ones that will shock you if you touch them. Typically they are Black, Red, Blue, Brown, Orange, or Yellow. Those colors are not specified by code and have arisen as "wiring practices."

A Grounded Conductor, or Neutral, is half of a single phase circuit. If the loads are balanced phase to phase a Neutral won't shock you, but if there is an imbalanced load, you can get bit off one, especially if it is 277/480 volt system. Code requires the grounded conductor to be white or natural grey. Typically white is used for lower voltages and grey for higher voltages.

As said, a splice is simply two or more wires joined together. A Hot and Ground connected together will trip the breaker at best or at worst cause an arc flash explosion at either the panel or splice.

Dammit forgot my image.