MtG EDH/Commander General - /edhg/

Best Basics Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, so?rted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/
combodeck.net/

>Thread Question
What is your favorite secret tech that isn't commonly mentioned on the internet?

What is your favorite secret tech that isn't commonly mentioned on the internet?
punching my opponent in the jaw.

>WR is bad in EDH

White is the best removal color and has the best aesthetics

Red is the most fun color

RW is objectively the best color combo in EDH

Prove me wrong, protip: you can't.

>What is your favorite secret tech that isn't commonly mentioned on the internet?
threatening to scoop if they proceed with their proposed course of action

>Best Basics Edition

Looking for a way to generate extra mana in mono-red, while still on a budget ($5 per card max).

I like using a combo with mana reflection, krosan restorer, staff of domination, and rhys the redeemed to make an army of elf warriors. Alternatively, I use a large token genrator first like storm herd or martial coup. I've had infinite 5/5 pegasi before. It was great.

>Looking for a way to generate extra mana in mono-red, while still on a budget ($5 per card max).
Be careful what you wish for

>best basics

Pic related.

>words instead of set symbols
dropped

Saw this one, willing to roll with it. My group has a tendancy to not touch anyone with huggy things and just get big.

How can I show my playgroup that they consistently make the wrong decisions? They always go for the "tap out and play a single dude when they have countermagic in hand the turn someone is gonna combo off". I present them with all of the information necessary but they still ignore me.

While not red mana, just play mana rocks and/or mana accelerates like seething song or pyretic ritual.

What are some good political strategies for multiplayer games?

The only one I can think of is not being the first player to play a threat to avoid getting all the hate early in the game.

Talk to people, you can play threats but don't be threatening with them. The goal is to win so don't just land-go every turn until someone does something, be proactive.

How do I stop Breya infinite combo?

It has time sieve, nimdeath mantle, cladclan ironworks, ashnods altar, sword of the meek, dereti, thopter foundry, scrap mastery, thopter assembly, etc.

it's insane how reliable that combo is

Trickbind, Sudden Death, Wipe Away when he has no spare mana to recast one of the pieces. I'm yet to deal with a Breya deck but surely inbetween steps there's a manaless state where you can split second her ass.

This counts as a plain

/ic/ here, Min Yum is one of the best contemporary painters

Too cool 4 oldskool user?

WR has the worst availability for card draw and mana ramp. Sure it has great removal early game, but after so many one-for-ones, your hand is piddily poop

what do you thing about a Kydele / Sidar Kondo deck that uses cards like Coastal Piracy, Edric and Bident of Thassa? can it be good at multiplayer?

>Made Lim Dül my big black commander
>the entire deck consists of -X/-X effects and value creatures
Outside of the normal big black stuff, is there anything I should be on the look out for? My gameplan is to generate a billion mana, wipe the board but let lim dül survive, then reanimate their whole board.

>have a 3-color deck but can't afford 9 fetches and 3 ABUR duals
Why live, /edhg/?

>people complaining about expensive cards
>I'm going to buy a FoW, Mana Drain, Mox Diamond and a bunch of $10 cards for my decks

Some cards are never going to stop being expensive, it's fine to buy them. You get to have fun, and if you ever have to quit, you can sell it. Oh, and it feels awesome to own the card.

This is my favorite island of all time, but I really enjoy most arts. I even like the full art islands from Zendikar, they're pretty even though everybody uses them.

Lemme guess, none of the three colors is green?

Mind sharing where you're getting FOW for $10? :^)

Edric decks don't work when he isn't on the board. And your deck won't work either if you just rely on these three cards. You need to be able to constantly draw cards and this just doesn't happen with these two commanders.

Exactly.

Life is suffering. If you don't have blue either it's even worse, else you could jam as much budget lands like I do to not lose landdrops and pack a good number of rocks.

Nowhere, I'm going to pay $70 for it and a little bit less for the other cards I mentioned by name. The $10 cards are things like Summoner's Pact, Yawgmoth's Will, Greater Good, the new Selvala. I mean, I guess none of them are $10, but you kinda get it.

Tempest lands look so ominous, I love them. I also really want to love Mercadian Masques lands, but they're so dull and boring.

I've got quite the conundrum /edh/. Do I buy a new game or upgrade my Atraxa precon. I'm planning to buy the 6 shocks, Ezuri and Meren to start off

Okay.. you give me ONE (1) good reason why you don't have this card in your deck despite using white cards. You literally can't.

It costs too much

Because I'm not a tryhard who needs to justify a broken card to strangers.

>dead draw at any point except opening hand
>become the biggest threat on turn 1
>my deck doesn't even win by dealing damage
>my deck doesn't want extra creatures
>it doesn't provide card advantage
>gets killed too easily

should I continue

i find that card to be massively bullshit in commander so i dont use it

Okay.. you give me ONE (1) good reason why you don't have this card in your deck despite playing EDH. You literally can't.

It sucks in every strategy except mono W goodstuff, and even then it's only ok t1

How do you let lim dul survive?

>dead draw at any point except opening hand
6/6 flying lifelink for 1 mana is never a dead draw

>my deck doesn't even win by dealing damage
faggot

>gets killed too easily
you're playing white. Gets back just as easily.

>6/6 flying lifelink for 1 mana is never a dead draw
You mean a 1/1 for 1 mana for the majority of the game

>wasting a card with misstep
>when you could have the creature as well.

1 mana 6/6 flying lifelink is bad?

>1/1 for 1 mana for the majority of the game
You're playing White, you're never below 30 unless you're playing white wrong.

>white
>not constantly gaining life to maintain >25 life
Holy shit do you even live?

Because i don't really have an issue with mana, and this card is too risky.

It's never gonna be cheaper than this user, 30 bucks (at least for europoors) is a fucking steal.

because spending that much money on a single card is retarded

Agree
With 30 eurobucks, you can have most cheaper cards in another EDH deck

It's not fun to play.

>don't have an issue with mana
Mana crypt is among the strongest fast mana in the game, only black lotus and lion's eye diamond are above it. And the diamond is only better in a very limited number of strategies. Plus mana crypt is reusable, which in my opinion elevates it above black lotus and the diamond in EDH.

>risky
Are you new?

There is not a single deck in the format that doesn't benefit from this card, unless your deck has hardly any generic mana in its mana costs. For any other strategy it's an auto-include if you have it.

By Murphy's Law, you'll lose life more often than you'll get 2 mana

Nigger it always untaps, this isn't a weird version of mana vault.

Oh, scratch what I said, I misread
This shit is worth 30 bucks

>fatal push in edh

Okay.. you give me ONE (1) good reason why you don't have this card in your deck despite using green cards. You literally can't.

Because other decks can basically ignore this creature for a few turns and then win. Why would I waste my turn 2 playing that?

>fun

Speaking of fast mana, is lotus bloom worth it in a deck with an eldrazi commander (preferably kozilek).

>tfw going to play EDH on friday after months of not playing mtg
>tfw got cold yesterday

Tell about those commanders you kill on sight.

Go anyway you fucking pussy.

Slivers, all of them. Also Narset

So you can still go, what's the problem?

To clarify: I meant I got sick, not that the weather got bad.

Yeah, I know. Don't be a little bitch.

Okay.. you give me ONE (1) good reason why you don't have this card in your deck despite using blue cards. You literally can't.

Why do you hate us so much, user?

>group doesn't know the banlist outside of Power 9
>mfw putting in degenerate shit like Recurring Nightmare and Painter's Servant

hnot him but a guy in my play group has a ridiculously tuned sliver deck that he has spend like 2 grand on and i just like watching him lose with it because he gets really but hurt

I still don't see the problem

Because I wish werewolves had as many tribal interactions as slivers, also hiveminds are cool and im jelly

Ok. You have a point.

>Literally cheating
>Literally cheating when your playgroups isn't even competitive

Pathetic

That's a lot of bait you're using sir

Oh come on

>walk into the LGS
>oh hai don't mind me while I sneeze all over your cards and infect you with a nasty virus

They're going to love me.

Post your guilty pleasure commanders.

It has a limited selection of legendary creatures to pick from in terms of strategy

i like it when im the only one having fun

I mean, EDH is a house-rule format, and if his opponents are not complaining...

Country of pussies.

Just go you humongous faggot. It's a game shop, they're all equally as, if not more, disgusting as you

>playing boros
>ever

literally the most boring and shit color combo there is

>Be player
>Find cool spells like telepathy
>Fill deck with entire effects like that
>Slow game down to a crawl
>Never win because no win conditions
>Lose friends
>Blue needs more help

Where's new avacyn?

Fucking gatherer doesn't list her as boros.

She is durable, build around, but also not combat orientated, due to her flip effect being abusable with combo and blink effects

It's not even a game store, the location is a tea house. And the community is full of super-nice people. And the owners have a small child.

I could go, since I don't have visible symptoms, but tt would be a bigger dick move than playing no-wincon groupslug

Yes because like it's been stated it only turns on t1. Even if you hit it at the right moment it take 7 more turns to kill someone, all the whIle you're drawing hate from every other player. I get that it's a string creature, but in a format that ranges from xboxhueg creatures to vintage singleton it's pretty mediocre. If it works for you and your playgroup I'm not gonna tell you you're having fun wrong, but in the wider EDH meta a french vanilla fatty isn't very good, no matter how little mana it costs

>2ARMS

You aren't wrong, but I'd rather play Boros than generic blue-green goodstuff

Caring what some fatass mtg judges care about what cards I can and cannot play

Targeted exiling removal, stony silence, phyrexian revoker etc.
When going up against breya first thing you wanna do is take breya herself out of the equation because she is the most dangerous combo piece without combo
Kill her whenever she hits the table, use phyrex revoker so you opponent can't cast her at all, use stony silence or steal her.
Afterwards you deal with the rest of the combo pieces. In your case the next priority is the deathmantle since it combos with so many things.
Also don't overestimate thoptersword combo. It's not as strong in edh as in other formats

Pls ;_;

The Queen has two arms...

can't get you non-colored mana so I'd guess not

I swear is this the same guy who says serra should get banned?
She needs to be followed up to be worth the attention. It'll be removed quickly and then you'll be the 'guy with the turn one accended' so the pain will keep coming till an acutual threat pops up