Party returns to Large city from several weeks of adventuring/plundering, ladden with +1 weapons...

Party returns to Large city from several weeks of adventuring/plundering, ladden with +1 weapons, which are Very fucking rare.(But players seem to be clueless of that DESPITE that fact being pointed out on several occasions)

In case they do not want to sell them immediately, is it ok for them to be firrst approached by several potential buyers and to experience ever more attacks with a goal of getting the magic items from them?

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Weapon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

+1 weapons give you just a +1 bonus to your attacks. It's not a big deal no matter how hard you try to paint it as such.

What is damage resistance/Damage immunity?

Something that's trivial to overcome with more damage, a different damage type, or the use of a single spell. If a weapon that has merely a 5% increase in accuracy and 1 damage is considered a big deal in your world then I don't even know what to tell you.

So how to convince them that their weapons really are rare? Why not fluff it up, separate from mechanics? Glowing, rune-inscribed weapons will likely draw a lot of attention in a world where this shit doesn't really exist. If the weapons are nondescript with a subtle enchantment on them then I don't see any way you can spin it that would be convincing

Not every game is high-level 3.P user.

Magic weapon is a 1st level spell, senpai.

You forget how unreasonable a GM can get. That +1 Sword can be akin to the holy grail if monsters have a resistance 20/magic.

The meta of any RPG depends almost entirely on the GM, and then on how the other players at the table.

That said, people tend to be lazy and predictable. Deviations also tend to compromise the game. e.g. I don't thin giving monsters resistance 20/magic is a good idea.

Not every setting have an abundance of spellcasters.

Uh-oh.
engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Weapon

That +1 Sword can be akin to the holy grail if monsters have a resistance 20/magic.

Magic resistance in 5e takes off 50% of damage from any nonmagical source. Gl burning through all spell slots to take down one guy while your fighter is just flailing away, doing little.

And then there is Magic immunity.

>present valid counters to DR
>"b-but in MYYY games all of those things are banned!"
Fuck off.

Also in dnd 5e Magic weapon takes Concentrating. Good luck with those saves plus being unable to cast anything else that takes Concentration for an hour.

OP, you made the mistake of letting us know that your DnD setting deviates from the norm. Remember, most DnD players consider it a game with the DM as a referee first and foremost. You'll get nothing but flame here. If you've fluffed the weapons up to logically be out of place and look powerful, then you wouldn't be having a problem right now, I don't think.

in 5e magic weapons are RARE.
The mechanical bonuses aren't all that great; but they're something that is both videly uncommon and sought after, so treat the items as such.

I personally don't see how a +1 bonus is any more impressive at low levels.

So magic weapons are rare, but despite that you piled them on the party. No wonder the party doesn't treat them as rare, as it demonstrably isn't the case from what is presented to them.

> 5e

What a nice rabbit you pulled out there user, now explain what the Pathfinder artwork is doing here?

OP here. Excellent point. Module is very rich with issuing loot, and I did not want to change it. At the end of a short campaign, my players think every bugbear drops +1 sword.

>PCs are laden with +1 weapons
>but they're still supposed to be "Very fucking rare"
You done fucked up.

Assuming, for the moment, that the word gets around of them actually possessing so many magic items, I would say potential buyers approaching them would be fine. But attacks? If they have so many ultra rare magic items, that must clearly mean that they're really fucking badass, so attacking them would be a bad idea. There might be one or two attempts by the more foolish or desperate, but even that's not a foregone conclusion(unless one such attack actually shows that they aren't THAT competent).

something i had to learn the hard way was +1 is a number (and a small one at that so its not significant enough to matter) and there for even a noticeable buff is just a numerical advantage. players who munchkin the shit out of the game are the only ones who will throw themselves at those +1 items. most players who do some power gaming will realize how insignificant a +1 item is and those who want to role play wont usually be swayed by anything less than a +3. what you need is utility.
>boots that allow you to walk across lava
>cape of invisibility
>2 bags of holding that turn out to be a portal to the other bag
these are a few examples of how to add some creativity to the game. don't just say that the things are made well but are truly unique

how rare are magical items in your realm.
>1 item to1 person the equivalent to how many people possess metal tools in 700sAD Europe
>1 item to 10 people the equivalent to the number of weapons with metal in 700sAD Europe
>1 item to 100 people the equivalent to the number of swords in 700sAD Europe
>1 item to 1000 people the equivalent to the number of chain male armor worn in 700sAD Europe

>Give players an okay thing that's painted as a really super good thing
>Making horrible things happen to them as if they had the super good thing anyway

I don't care what you're playing, that's just a dick move.