What's the best system for running a game that features mechs but also infantry that could potentially take a mech out ?

What's the best system for running a game that features mechs but also infantry that could potentially take a mech out ?

Pic sort of related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=giPnsnWy2a0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Silcore, in particular I'd recommend either Heavy gear or Jovian Chronicles.

Palladium's RIFTS books feature powered armour and gundam sized robots. As well as the equipment for infantry to deal reasonable damage to them.

I'm unsure how much has been moved over to the new Rifts ruleset, but it may be worth taking a look. I forget who made it though.

OVA

you talking about the savage worlds ruleset or something else?

Rocket Age

Hopefully Infinity RPG will deliver that, but it's still a while away from finishing.
There's supposed to eb a whole separate book on Tactical Armour Gear, as the mechs are called in universe.

Battletech. One guy could theoretically take out a mech, although it's realistically going to take multiple squads fighting from many angles and using ambush tactics. Standard infantry works best as area denial around a solid building.

>A single man can kill a mech

>People still use mechs

This is like still wearing a suit of plate armour in the age of the flintlock.

Battletech is modular, the box set comes with thirty-odd Brutally Zeerust looking plastic mech minis and the rules for a nice little skirmish game; the supplement "A Time Of War" Expands this into a roleplaying game complete with pilot skills and progression, though this module is sometiles criticized as being poorly edited; there's also the total warfare book, which includes rules for various sorts of infantry and vehicle.

There's even a cartoon from 1994 that's only available in low quality rips from grainy vhs cassettes.

Is Savage Worlds published by Palladium? If no, then they're talking about non-Savage Worlds RIFTS

Not saying it's the "best" system for it, but I ran a fun and successful mech/infantry game in GURPS that was loosely based on Front Mission.

>A single man can kill a tank

>People still use tanks

The problem is you'll need to be somekind of MD Geist/Chuck Norrist/Chirico/Calgar hybrid to pull that off.

You are right, I am a dumbo.

>People still use tanks
Not for much longer....

for when the big Zam is mass produced!

Gurps
Modular Mecha article of pyramid (check the gurps general)
High tech for the fun guns for your infantry.
Ultra tech for weird future munitions

Done

>What's the best system for running a game that features mechs but also infantry that could potentially take a mech out ?
I'm going to rephrase OP's question.

What's the best system to run Metal Gear?

Mekton can do it, but the effectiveness of infantry is going to vary wildly based on how you build your mechs. People take damage in "Hits" and Mektons take damage in "Kills". 25 Hits = 1 Kill.

Roadstrikers are smaller mechs, imagine somewhere between heavy powered armor and Optimus Prime. They take and deal damage in Hits, so a fairly uncoordinated group could take one down given the proper equipment.

, this one can help you out.
When you get to full on Mektons, shit gets hard. We always ran them as Mobile Suits, so imagine something like 18 meters tall. There are virtually no infantry scale weapons capable of doing Kills worth of damage. There are some anti-mek launchers and mines, but even they do relatively low damage overall, especially to armored targets. The best bet you have is to disabled the sensors, which are almost always unarmored. They're only 1 Kill, so a really lucky shot with a high powered rifle can take them out. Disabling the primary sensor puts the pilot at -4 for all actions that require REF, which they can negate by opening the cockpit, which leaves the torso block unarmored (for Mobile Suits, at least).

A highly coordinated fireteam could take out a full-scale Mekton, but it'd be difficult. If the pilot opts to not open the cockpit but continue fighting with a -4 then the players would be mostly helpless to stop him while the pilot wouldn't be able to hit shit since they're already rolling at a negative for targeting infantry.

>A single man can kill a tank

>People are still on the battlefield instead of drones

user, plz

OP here. I probably should have specified that I am aiming for something like Armour Hunter Mellowlink.

>What's the best system to run Metal Gear?
GURPS definitely. It's probably the only system out there that could accurately portray ridiculously crazy characters that the series has.

Drones are shitty glorified missile that will easily taken out by someones that was not as incompetent as kebabs.

They will stay as force multiplier as they should be.

Heavy Gear is the closest English-language tabletop mecha game to VOTOMs, so their RPG might be a good start.

Really this if youre going for a VOTOMs style game there's few that do it quite so well.

I like Battletech the most,
But I think in your case, something like Heavy Gear or something else by DP9 would be more what you're looking for.
Battletech is about big mechs, so of course they're going to be the beefiest thing.
Heavy gear is about not-as-big mechs, so infantry poses more of a threat.

Honestly with the right kit infantry can pose a huge threat to gears, they're not as scary as say stuff like Tanks and helicopters but they're not something to just shrug at either.

Metal Gear?!

youtube.com/watch?v=giPnsnWy2a0
>Terrible aanimation
>Complete lack of tactics
>Run left to dodge cannonfire
>Yelling face stripey background nonsense
>Antivehicle bayonet
I dunno, FATAL?

Battletech, obviously

You know there is a RIFTS Savage World, don't you?

Infinity, the tabletop game can easily be converted into an RPG using their "spec ops" rules, and there is an actual factual RPG coming out soonish

Also, the miniatures are gorgeous