Blue Rose

What is Veeky Forums's take on Blue Rose? How is its setting and how does it compare to the other AGE games?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18458206/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NON WHAT IS THIZ ELA ORATE NOW

System is passable but nothing special. Setting is pretty shit and is written even worse which doesn't help it's case. There are some cool things you can do in the system though (Dolphin paladins, anyone?)
The company's decision to entwine the game with IRL politics didn't help endear the system to anyone either.

>Dolphin paladins
But RIFTS has Dolphin paladins fighting Cthulhu

If I had to pick between RIFTS and d20, I would pick d20.

Unless the third option was "blowing my brains out". Then I would probably pick RIFTS.

I would definitely pick RIFTS(TM)(C) over Blue Rose any day of the week.

RIFTS is like, the diametric opposite of Blue Rose's social justice censorship. The Blue Rose authors would probably report the RIFTS cover as a hate crime to the police.

To my understanding, the extent of politics involved is really overstated.

Blue Rose is mostly about players acting on behalf of a good, tolerant kingdom where magic is common and often benevolent, which doesn't jive with a lot of Veeky Forums's grim tastes.

Jarzon is kinda like the Imperium though.

man, I wish SJW's actually were the big boogieman you have built up on your head.

That'd be so fucking rad.

I take it that you haven't read into Blue Rose's setting.

I read Blue Rose's setting. None of it vilifies the straights. There's no feat for "Kill Whitey". It just acknowledges different sexualities as a thing in its campaign setting.

The problem is when people "read into" Blue Rose via an RPGpundit blog post or something rather than looking at the relatively inoffensive game itself.

Eh, I skimmed the kickstarter. Honestly I'm just more fantasizing about having a real life liberal crime squad. Which...would basically just be the SLA.

Although I suppose that'd be better played in shadowrun or something similar.

Except this "benevolent kingdom" mind-rapes and reprograms anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Gee, no, that's not SJW totalitarianism AT ALL.

PClandia is kinda hypocritical with what they admonish of other kingdoms, but do themselves.
Meanwhile, the other nations are all strawman critiques of other forms of governance.

I can't speak to the version that came out in 2015, only the original. That said, the system is a decent variant of D20 designed to make it so that a character is still fairly mortal no matter how high they level. No level 20 demi-gods in this game. It's really not likely, but it's technically possible for a first level character to kill even the most powerful.

The world itself is basically Mercedes Lackey's herald-mage world with some pretty cringy SJW crap tacked on. I grew up reading Lackey and always liked her stuff, and I think this is a pretty garbage clone of it once you really read into things.

The system used was called True20 and there was an improved agnostic version of it released not long after that was called the same. It cleared up some of the mistakes of Blue Rose and wasn't too bad. (Not a fan personally, but that's because I just don't like D20 and its clones, not because it was bad in and of itself.)

If you're just interested in the system get True20. If you're interested in the world download a pdf from somewhere and start reading.

cont.

I did co-DM a game of BR back when it first came out, and we quickly discovered that accepting the world as written and playing as the "good and noble" people of Aldis was ultimately distasteful. However, playing as members of other nations fighting against the subtle evil and blatant hypocrisy of Aldis made for a pretty good campaign.

I don't know much about the AGE version, but the original was alright.

I think Veeky Forums gets a bit too sucked into trying to be the contrarian underdogs to realize it's really just a pretty harmless setting about being pretty knights vanquishing evil and getting their romance on with someone who is also pretty.

I think the major problem is how it's portrayed. All of the other countries are conservative, evil, not good places to be that never get to have any real culture or fun, whereas Aldis itself is like a liberal utopia, save for the brainwashing and whatever.

It rubs people the wrong way, which I can definitely understand. Utopias aren't technically possible, someone's always going to manage to fuck up; either that or there's something lurking behind the scenes.

Hard copy when

I always wanted to do something with the old version and never really had a group till now. Setting is basically Lackey's Valdemar.

I liked some things about True20 (toughness saves, wealth scores), but I haven't got enough of a sense of the new system to judge it.

This isn't really supported by the actual lore. It's a meme forced by that one dude (Bandit something?) who took a really odd reading of a handful of passages.

Like, nonconsensual mind invasions are clearly viewed as Sorcery, aka taboo bad mojo reserved for bad guys. The stuff he's referencing is essentially elective rehabilitative psychosurgery. The old core book also mentions exiling unrepentant hardcases, so they clearly aren't just hotwiring everyone in sight.

Drop it in the Balkans

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/18458206/

What's the big difference between age and t20?

Is age just like t20 revised? Or what?

Youch, sounds even worse than Earthsea. I will take your advice.

Why not, like, snag a pdf and read it for yourself?

So is basically a fantasy vesion of Star Trek?

You're representatives of some super tolerant progressive society trying to spread your values and ideals to the backward nations of the world?

Am I missing anything or is that basically it?

Not really, if it's the same AGE system that they used for Dragon age.

True 20 is just a streamlined D20 system. It's better the 3.5 but so is most things.

Age is fairly basic 3d6 plus modify roll over system but has a fairly interesting stunt mechanic.

That said it has the typical rpg stuff like stats, hit points, armour class, ect.

You're basically right. The authors wanted a setting focused on a utopian country and adventurers spreading peace and understanding among men, while kicking ass if they needed to.

They also put in a lot of 'it's okay to be gay' and LGBT content, which some people took offense to. Others got mad that the setting wasn't grimdark, or that they thought the utopia was too liberal.

I found it while trying to find romance- oriented RPGs. The game itself seems ok, but there's definitely a big liberal, SJW bent to it, as others have discussed. If you agree with their politics, it's fine. Otherwise, total BS setting.

>Romantic orientatied RPG

And I'll seriousness what exactly are you hoping to find here?

In all seriousness what exactly hoping to find here? I mean fatal be a romantic RPG if you focused on the dating part.

Romantic fantasy the genre. Not romance in the sense of seduction.

Of course, there is plenty of grim in the source material they're evoking that isn't really described in the books. Main characters get raped. And tortured. And torture-raped, and their heads cut off and mounted on pikes and so forth with alarming regularity.

A GM who actually played it like Mercades Lackey writes her books would horrify most tables.

Teenage girly fantasy books aren't just flowers and unicorns.

Sometimes I'd like to run Blue Rose for the haters. Just so I could see the look when their (presumably male) characters are subjected to gang-rape and then horribly killed. Life's too short though.

RIFTS and 40k are both edgy settings from the 90's that embody the spirit of the times. With nazis as good guys and so forth.

You sound gay as fuck.

Then I am surely in the right thread.