Fantasy Ecology

What sort of traits could we give to creatures like Rocs to make them distinct apart from their large size? Part of me was thinking of making them an intelligent counterpart to Dragons and possibly natural enemies as well. Perhaps their wings have extra digits that allow them rudimentary manipulation and ability to grasp things

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They live in the mountains, but subsist on whales.

They are more prone to certain magical mutations that affect their specific species. One variant of Roc is the Glacial Roc which has lost it's ability to fly in order to swim. They tend to hunt giant fish and crustacians but are also predated upon by psionic killer whales and get into fights with Remorhazz

>giant, killer penguins
I like it.

The Imprisoned?

World Claws are another form of flightless Roc standing as tall as 13 feet. Many will point to their similiary to Tyrants that roamed the lands many millions of years ago and are often a staple food source for giants.

While that is the case they are extremely dangerous often killing with vicious swipes of their talons which find themselves becoming daggers and swords .

Make roc a category. A thunderbird is a roc, a phoenix is a roc, a giant ice bird is a roc, etc.

>but are also predated upon by psionic killer whales and get into fights with Remorhazz
>predated upon by psionic killer whales
>psionic killer whales
Fucking nightmare fuel, mate.

They keep the Frozen lands safe from Aboliths. Their methods are harsh but just.

Fuck off you autistic piece of shit. I swear Zeldafags are worse than JoJofags. I want Zeldafags to off themselves for their own good.
>hurr durr this is a same as a thing from one of the 508 Zeldurr gaems must be a reference ;)
Fuck off and get hepatitis from your baby's first RPG tier normie bait meme game. Why don't you little creeps have your own containment board?

Jeesus, I'm not even a zelda fan, I just recognized a fucking resemblance

I like this one.

You can't hide it from me scum. I can smell it on you, I can taste it in the air. You balding ugly manlet.
I hope someone breaks into your house and shoves two live eels up your asshole.
Go masturbate to the thought of Link in a dress elsewhere.

>I hope someone breaks into your house and shoves two live eels up your asshole.
Not that user, but damn man that's a bit harsh. Hell, and people call me harsh when I want to saw loli-fags in half.

Wtf is wrong with you

>a phoenix is a roc

wat

>implying aboleth AREN'T the psychic whales

Not harsh enough honestly. Lolifags don't deserve the luxury of death. Pedos are truely one of the most detestable types of people around. Sawing them in half is too quick.
Something long and draw out, give them time to realise their unnatural sick compulsions.

Lots of things but where to start? I guess it may have started when I was 6, my stepfather would make me wear a dog collar and leash. He would then beat me because "Your mother said she had a Doberman, she never once mentioned having a little bitch of a son. I didn't sign up for used goods so you're going to be my little bitch forever."

But this isn't about me, today is about YOU. You will look back on today and see it as your awakening, cast off your Zeldafaggotry and begin you new life as a function human.
That or kill yourself on a live stream, at least then you'll have made someone happy for once.

>What sort of traits could we give to creatures like Rocs to make them distinct apart from their large size?

I mean, if you want you can borrow my Roc notes, but I've basically made them a cross between an Osprey and an Albatross:

-Massive, just MASSIVE fucking birds of prey that spend the vast majority of their time and lives soaring across the ocean and the shore- scouting for large prey items such as small whales, elephants, dinosaurs, sharks, seals, etc.
-With that said: Rocs are not only capable of floating (like many other sea birds), but are capable divers: soaring down hundreds of feet to skewer and claw out plesioaurs, giant octopus, tuna and marlin or any other large fish or reptile they think looks tasty.

-Super duper awkward on land. All the time they spend in their air, they don't develop exceptional walking or landing skills and often plummet or cartwheel when landing and can be seen goose-stepping or waddling when on the ground.

-They nest at the top of mountain peeks, deserted islands, and other remote or otherwise isolated areas... And shockingly enough do so in small communities. The shit produced by rocs has caused many of these normally barren areas to flourish with nutrients and good soil despite their location.

-Rocs don't make the majestic screeches we often hear out of other smaller hawks, but instead bellow out large, loud, honking undignified screams reminiscent of a cross between a goose and an eagle.

Garuda: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda

Make them Thunderbirds. The dragons are their Unktehlia. The two hate each other. One of fire and the other of lightning.

>Something long and draw out, give them time to realise their unnatural sick compulsions.
You know what. I think we're going to get along just fine user.

fascinating. I'd hate to be at see and be in the vacinity of a Roc diving into the water after a young whale and getting caught up in the resulting tidal wave made from it diving bombing into the water at 100+ m/h

That said, more ideas

>Ash Wings

Said to be a lesser variant of the Pheonix, these immense birds live in and around active volcanoes. Thier feathers resemble crumbling stone and their beaks and talons glow orange hot like the lava they casually move about in. When they take flight they live up to their name leaving copious amounts of volcanic dust in their wake which, as annoying and sometimes dangers as can be, is found to be benecial for the environment spreading fertile volcanic soil from the island volcanoes into the mainland. Locals have taken great pains to be weary of the flight of Ash Wings and welcomed such helpful inventions as metallic rooftops to help keep their houses from burning which has lead to many turning to a sort of nomadic life style expecting their homes to be burnt when an Ash wing is present.

virt, pls go and stay go

>I hope someone breaks into your house and shoves two live eels up your asshole.

why a shovel?

oh no never mind i missed read that carry on

Connections to other creatures is a great way to do it. Rocs being the flying mounts of giants that needed a way to fight dragons in the air is interesting. Giants and dragons controlling the banks of the world and funding wars just to continue the wars between their species is interesting. Sling in some aboleths ruling the seas and spreading their influence from there to get slaves, and beholders controlling the underdark, and you have creatures that aren't just "cool" but that have a role in the world and story. Unintelligent beasts are harder because they won't have complex motives or whatever but they can still be cooler than "giant animal".

Not to mention it gives your ranger/druid more to do by way of fleshing out the ecology of their environment.

Veeky Forums, could you do falconry with a roc?

I would think they would be like those flying horses. Aesir I think they are called. You don't tame them so much as earn their respect

They've never read "The Phoenix and the Carpet" by E. Nesbit, because they're casuals.

I'd say horses and rocs are different beasts, assuming that rocs are just scaled up hawks.

You can train a regular bird in the art of falconry, why not a roc? Just need big gear.

Aesir are the principle race of Norse gods.
You're thinking of Pegasi.

Smh senpai.