DM: "Alright, you walk into the Pub. Everyone is drinking and having merriment...

>DM: "Alright, you walk into the Pub. Everyone is drinking and having merriment, the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts, and the Kobold is playing some relaxing music on his lute"
>the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts, and the Kobold is playing some relaxing music on his lute

Oh, so it's gonna be one of THOSE settings.

>GM says "okay, you you're in a hamlet and there are rumors of a dungeon nearby, and-"

Oh, so it's gonna be one of THOSE settings.

What? Never heard of establishment run by a happy couple?

You mean one where there are more than the core races and they're not constantly trying to kill each other?

I can't stand faggots that do this. Project their bullshit liberal fantasies where every fucking sentient species in the fucking book is in one big tavern and are all magically okay with each-other. Even in the Monster Manuals it says if they absolutely despise another race.

Completely eradicates any sense of immersion I had.

>The ranger just started a stampede at the City Patron's stable that's running over their lawn and the barbarian just used one of the horses as a battering ram to break in the front door. While the swashbuckler and the Captain he's trying to leave just crit failed at each other first round and threw their weapons into the water. The beguiler somehow blew up the weapons shop. It's been 20 min into the first session.

Oh, so it's going to be one of THO- wait what?

I do this all the time in SciFi. I just love scenes like the iconic Cantina in Star Wars.

Do Kobolds and Minotaurs hate each other or do you just want everything to be war all the time?

Sounds like he wants Aryan to be a distinct race and a the end game to be Lebensraum.

How did you even get to this point in the game without being aware that it wasn't just muh no-magic humies?

dungeons and dachau

there is nothing unacceptable with that post either accept that people have different views or go back to tumblr.

I mean. "You enter a pub/tavern" is a pretty common, if cliche, opener. Especially if you're starting an adventure where the PCs are already together.

Minotaurs are unintelligent guardians used typically by sorcerers and wizards to protect assets.

Kobolds are thieves and worship satan.

Even if you're running a different setting, making them re-skinned people is boring, stupid, and pointless if they have no culture or heritage beside their personality. Which is typically what I find most in campaigns like that. Shallow and tacky quests without any semblance of originality. Also, they may or may not be furfaggots.

I was mostly wondering how you get through character creation without knowing what the most common ""civilized"" races are.

Honestly that's never come up in games I've played. At least in Character creation. Info like that was usually left for us to ask for in game paired with knowledge roles outside of sparse general setting info.

Ahh, so you follow the idea that races a crutch when it comes to RP.

I'd almost agree with you but being a tiny lizard person is inherently different from being a tiny person, even if you have essentially the same culture.
Plus Veeky Forums really needs to get over its fear of furries and realize that, in fact, most people are not furries.

>generic town in generic fantasy setting
>tavern barkeep is called Xenophon
>guard captain is called Vercingetorix
>beggar is called Mithridates
>healer is called Galen
>priestess is called Boudicca

Oh, so it's going to be one of THOSE settings.

Kobolds worship dragons, and bard is a kind of rogue.

>Even if you're running a different setting, making them re-skinned people is boring, stupid, and pointless

I agree. I think it's mainly down to laziness and/or embarassment on the part of people trying to roleplay them.

This. Everyone's got different views and we need to accept that. Once a faggot tries to force their views onto you, then you beat the shit out of them and saw their daughterfu and waifu in half.

>get over its fear of furries
Fuck you. Our fear of furries is totally justified lest they subvert our community and become accepted.

I don't have a fear of furries, I just hate how they inject every-fucking-thing with furry-fetish shit.

A lot of the time they make a big deal about their character, or other characters being another race, pointing to the fact that they are a specific race, and nothing else.

I don't want to hear descriptions of the Minotaur bar-keeps big furry ass, in fact, I'd much rather play as one, and kill you with him in the most violent, disgusting, and savage way possible so you stop trying to apply some erotic creep-shit to every fucking animal in the game.

The party butchers the godless minotaur, being the spawn of unholy unions of women and bulls, blessed by the Demon Lord Baphomet..

The kobold flees because it's a shittier kind of goblin

>then you beat the shit out of them and saw their daughterfu and waifu in half.

Why's everyone trying to beat up alt-righter's these days?

ikr, i fucking hate it when people judge me for my views because i judge people for their views expressed through a game i asked no questions about and had no reason to suspect would be the grittier kind of game i would like, i mean for fucks sake.

How do you pick your character's race, then? Seems odd to not even know, unless there's implicitly more civilized races that you're inexplicably not allowed to play.

I mean, if you're going to be like that realistically speaking:

As an adventurer you'd probably only be allowed in the mix-raced tavern because the GOOD taverns wouldn't want anything to fucking do with you.

Do you think the taverns and pubs down town where the Humans and Dwarves drink what you in them? You? An Adventurer? Who is literally a homeless, drifter, no-job, no-guild, killing and thieving for a living, drinking and having roasted pork next to the people who actually go to work for 8 hours?
If anything you're more of a liability than the Minotaur Migrant worker: he KNOWS he's on thin ice and if he fucks up he's gonna get banished back to the east.
Adventurers? They're basically just entitled fucking psycopaths: you look at them funny and they've go no social connections preventing them from maiming or turning someone into a fucking pig.
They're so out of the loop they cry outrage when the town gaurds eventually come to haul them to prison, screaming, kicking, yelling shit like, "Do you know who I am?!" and "How dare you!" as if they mean anything to anyone.

So, yes, Adventurer.
You get to eat and drink in the tavern with the non-humans, so sorry that inconveniences you.

Show us on the doll where the bad furry touched you.

You're gleaning a lot from "A minotaur serving a beer"

Nah, our hate of furries isn't fear, it's a self-defense mechanism to justify ourselves.

>I may want to fuck a rancid Toilet-paper-Butter Golem, but at least I'm not a furry.

Is it stupid? Sure. Hypocritical? Absolutely.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to let any furry ruin my board. I've got standards after all.

You just KNOW that Furry's are masturbating behind their keyboards when RP'ing online with them, and they instantly pick the Half-dragon.

I've played in a group with openly-furry people before and it really is creepy sometimes.

I mean if you like old school objective morality and all that jazz.

Don't get me wrong, racial tension is good fun, but if you wanna break immersion having no exceptions to the rule is just another way to go at it. They're still sentient individuals. Now on that same hand you waltz into some Minotaur town and nobody bats an eye, that's just as jarring.

Admittedly I'm partial to characters that have straight up racism and have character growth out of that because of some reason or another, and I think racial alignments are pretty dumb so we might just like totally different things.

Most of what I've played has been LGS D&D modules or homebrews that were pretty much run like them.

The state of the races could pretty easily be assumed but some times there would areas of the world where, yeah, you'd find villages of whatever that may or may not be hostile to you.

My DM's seemed to like to make us work for world information outside of major cities in the early areas.

You need to play with different people, man. I've met more people borderline erotic about historical armor than furries.

>objective morality and all that jazz

Not objective morality, it's called "realism". If you want me to believe that every race on the planet is just "alright" with each other, I'm going to need some background about the setting, other-wise, screw off with that load of bull.

There's absolutely no reason that Dwarves should be singing and making merry with Elves, even throwing arms over each others shoulders.

Feels so jarring and awkward.

I fully accept the fact that some people have retarded opinions. I also fully reserve the right to mock them. You pathetic sperg.

Not sure where he said it was a bad thing. Seems like you're projecting a bit.

I can deal with something like that from /k/, because there's nothing intrinsically sexual about it, just a very in-depth fascination.

When you start describing the big-bushy eyes of the Tauren across the tavern, that's where I draw the line.

This is not a political discussion, this is neither /pol/ or tumblr you don't attack somebody for their political beliefs.

Fuck you furry. You're just making up shit like rancid toilet paper golems to justify yourself and make normal people look bad.

>thread went from discussion of the lack of verisimilitude of some RPG settings to complaining about furries

Underrated post.

>the Minotaur is serving up large dark stouts, and the Kobold is playing some relaxing music on his lute

You mean its an irish theme pud?!

>quietly tries to ignore this post hoping it doesn't attract the attention of diaperfags

Fuck you your tastes are shit, monstro town for life.

>>Every species must be utterly stereotyped and there can't be a single member of an "evil" race that's Neutral or, god forbid, good.

So, you're just an idiot then. Maybe that minotaur has spent years building up a good reputation. Maybe that Red Dragon seemingly lording it over a village is actually their elected mayor who got that way because he's not nearly as nasty as most Reds. Outliers make things must more interesting than black and white morality, no-variety races.

You must not understand how Veeky Forums works.

Making things up?

He's the one who showed up with the No Fun Allowed sign and said he got to decide how a setting should be. We can mock him if we like.

The best settings are the ones where the minotaurs and kobolds work together as friends, having tea at the appropriate time, and hating those GODDAMN FOREIGNERS.

>Realism
>Fantasy races

>Shit from a decade
Yeah... real relevant now.

>I don't know how to create believable races without resorting to stereotypes

Geez, I guess it's true what they say, liberals ARE the real racists.

>>>/tumblr/
There ya go

/pol/, not everything is a liberal plot to spread politics.

>Outliers make things must more interesting

If those are out-liers, then they would still be treated with fear/contempt.

Holy shit you're a fucking retard.

What the fuck even is this thread

>people who dislike monsters in civilization immediately jump off the /pol/ shitposting deep end
Well, that was fast. At least we know that the nofunpolice are in fact /pol/.

Degeneracy

>realism

>reality races

t. Autist that can't discern logic

They are finding issue with their being no culture or meaningful difference between races, not that they must be evil but that they'd like meaningful variety between different races if different races are culturally diverse then it is absurd that there wouldn't be some feuds between races.

what's more absurd is that they got to medieval fantasy level without incorporating nearby races into a working nation to better leverage their region against other regions.

I agree.
Look at humans, even small differnences in facial structure and skin tone have caused centuries of violence.

I can't imagine something as pronounced as the differences between Minotaurs and kobolds.

Man, so much more violence has been caused by pragmatic issues compared to racial issues it is insane.
Race is small potatoes compared to which fucker has the clay.

The parties is overwhelmed by city guards, tried and executed for being absolutely archtypal murderhobos.

>At least we know that the nofunpolice are in fact /pol/

That would be true if it wasn't for the fact that every game/RPG I've ever played where there were over a dozen different races all integrated completely into society weren't abysmal/boring/vanilla as fuck.

Games like The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, and Dragon Age 1 all have benchmark settings.

Sci-fi typically gets a pass, because it's assumed that the races must be extremely rational and logic in order to accomplish interstellar space travel, so give more leniency to each other in that regard.

Funny, they've always been pretty dang interesting when I play them.

Don't like it, run your own game.

>scifi and fantasy are different
Fucking newfags, with their chainmail and lord of the rings.

How about that time we jacked off to the moon?

You missed the part where the outliers EARNED their trust. Try reading before replying next time. Of course they'd be mistrusted, but Kill Everything That Isn't Just Like You is how murderhobos justify what they do. It's OK for inexperienced players but it's a mistake to assume everyone wants to play that way.

>He doesn't see the humor in the bard getting date-raped by a minotaur

Shit taste.

>your setting does not have a cantina with all sorts of weird ass races in the trade city
laaaaaame

Actually it would be more likely if most races went to their own region of consisting of predominantly of a group of races that like/tolerate eachother.

People who make non humans just weird looking people need to seriously reconsider the fucking point of fantasy races

Well, yeah, every empire doesn't have every race.
But each one damn well has several.

What? I mean I find the kind of shit in OP's post retarded "every race is equally common and equally represented everywhere among all walks of life" but it is hardly a liberal fantasy, just people who like to throw in lots of races.

Why include so many races as civilized people if it doesn't affect anything? It could be neat if it was limited to some trade based city state or something, but with every race being everywhere it feels to meaningless. A half orc being mayor of a small town in a setting where orcs are generally feared as ruthless raiders implies that he probably had to face some difficulty to be respected enough to become mayor. A half orc mayor in a world where orcs are just regular people is no different than a human or dwarf mayor.

>fantasy race
>it's literally some stereotypical human culture slapped over an entire species like no one would notice

It's so fucking lazy.

They also have a variety of physical differences, requirements to life, conditions for happiness, and political priorities.
They're still people though, and can still make a tasty loaf of bread.
Except for the ones that make bread with glass in it because they are regenerative and largely silicate.

>EARNED their trust

They'd be meeting new people all the time. They can't just magically "earn" trust from total strangers because they said they did this thing this one time. For all they know they're liars, would still be extremely suspect by people who weren't personally their friends.

And what if they were to travel to another city? Are they just going to say "oh yea, check out these references I have, they TOTALLY hold up, you'll only have to wait a couple weeks for someone to go out, ask the person, and then come back and report it to you".

The idea that "outliers" could function in a society without any sort of harassment, suspicion, or worry, from anyone involved including the outlier, is preposterous.

It would be akin to having an alligator as a pet. "Hey bro, have you seen my pet alligator? OH NO, dude, you don't understand, he's an outlier, he totally saved me from drowning this one time!"

Serious question; do you have aspergers syndrome?

It is a FETISH it is not normal to be a furry you shouldn't push your fetishes on other people.

>seeing the humor in a bard getting literally anally raped to death by a literally horse-dicked monster-man

user, it's not normal to be this uptight about furries.
You have internet poisoning.

Actually, the glass bread MIGHT be tasty, but it just isn't worth it to try to eat it.
Though this has the pleasant effect of making trips to the market and bargaining much more interesting.

>liberal fantasies
IN A GAME OF WHIMSY AND PRETEND?
Unheard of

The red dragon in question is surrounded by a town that has accepted him. Visitors hear about the friendly Red long before they meet him. And people who just up and attack a bartender who is doing nothing more than serving drinks, no matter what his race, are going to be rightly labeled as psychopaths who are more of a danger to the town than the minotaur. Are you trying to excuse murderhobos or do you honestly not grasp that it isn't the only way to play?

I had a hearty chuckle

user, you need to stop living in the city.

>whimsy

Outlier are accepted by a society when the society realizes that they are different and compatible with society this happens over time, and their reputation as being a good part of society will grow and over time they will be respected and treated as an equal by most of society, of course there will be some harassment and suspicion because of human nature but eventually if they earn the trust of different people they will integrate into society.

Because dragons are real and not made up. Riiiight

I would like to play these games.

>The red dragon in question is surrounded by a town that has accepted him

Of course they accepted him, he's an immortal fire-breathing demi-god capable of levelling their "town" with a swing of his tail.

Unless you're playing in some setting where Red Dragon's are considered "good", then they would be worshipping him to no end.

I see no reason why I should just trust the moral integrity of a creature that has no concept of mortality, and I'd be more worried what he's planning since a dragon would have absolutely no reason or need of a town "to be friends with" unless he was protecting it for some very important reason.

Wait, we're not all masterbating behind our keyboards while playing?

The fuck are you talking about?

You said it was whimsical. Do you know what the definitions of the words you're using are?

no, sometimes we just masturbate.

whim·si·cal
ˈ(h)wimzik(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: whimsical

playfully quaint or fanciful, especially in an appealing and amusing way.
"a whimsical sense of humor"
synonyms: fanciful, playful, mischievous, waggish, quaint, quizzical, curious, droll, fantastical, Seussian; More
eccentric, quirky, idiosyncratic, unconventional, outlandish, queer, fey;
informaloffbeat, freaky
"a whimsical sense of humor"
acting or behaving in a capricious manner.
"the whimsical arbitrariness of autocracy"
synonyms: volatile, capricious, fickle, changeable, unpredictable, variable, erratic, mercurial, mutable, inconstant, inconsistent, unstable, protean
> "the whimsical arbitrariness of autocracy"

Whe you simply make things up and pretend them to be logical or serious in nature you are being whimsical.
I understand that english may not be your first language but it is very easy to look it up, google it.

The reason the town accepted the Red could make for an adventure in itself. Wouldn't you want to play in a setting where weird things like a Good red dragon justly governing a town could happen? Black and white morality and color coded for your convenience dragons are fine when you're in high school but as I said, the occasional outlier adds variety. People certainly go on about their Good necromancers and liches here often enough.

Maybe because of alt-righters shouting about how they're going to form right-wing death squads to kill people for having different opinions? Maybe they shouldn't talk shit if they can't take having shit talked at them.

>When you simply make things up and pretend them to be logical or serious in nature you are being whimsical

That's not what those definitions are implying. The first example is pretty straight forward. The second implies that it changes very suddenly.

Perhaps you need better reading comprehension skills, or are you just a fucking idiot?