Warmachine/Hordes General

Kicky Monks Edition! Post what you're working on or have completed!

Mk3 list building: conflictchamber.com

Warmahords chat: discord.gg/KmXzbwD

Warmachine/Hordes Books, No Quarter, & IKRPG
textuploader com / da46m
PP Youtube (gameplay tutorials, tournament coverage, and announcements)
youtube.com/user/PrivateerPressPrime

Latest Errata (the actual January one):
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/WMH-Errata-January-2017-2.pdf

Theme Forces:
files.privateerpress.com/op/errata/Theme Forces.pdf

Steamroller Rules
privateerpress.com/organized-play/steamroller-tournaments

The Giant List of Podcasts and Blogs
privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?76379-Warmachine-Hordes-related-blogs-websites-and-forums

Table of contents for all NQ issues
privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?4313-Table-Of-Contents-For-All-No-Quarter-Issues

Lexicanum Iron Kingdoms Fluff wiki:
warmachine.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

MK3 RULES:
files.privateerpress.com/allnewwar/Prime.pdf
files.privateerpress.com/allnewwar/Primal.pdf
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5OHGgAx7q66NUdvUFp3LWVQRlE&usp=drive_web

Warmachine/Hordes Army Creator (WHAC) .apk
charbon-et-charentaise.org/blog/content/app-release.apk

wmhwtc.wordpress.com/2016/09/06/2016-wtc-list-statistics/
>WTC List Statistics

wmhwtc.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/2016-wtc-objectives-chosen/
>WTC Objectives Statistics

wmhwtc.wordpress.com/2016/09/07/wtc-2016-lists-and-datafile/
>WTC Lists

Other urls found in this thread:

privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?269446-SR2017-Spoilers-rumors-and-some-clarity-to-boot!
www20.zippyshare.com/v/1tLOuOW7/file.html
www20.zippyshare.com/v/LToez2J8/file.html
www20.zippyshare.com/v/dAMPtJKy/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=xuOur7YPiS0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does anyone have a PDF of the Circle command book?

Got the mk3 skorne starter and I'm wondering how to expand my army later on, any recommendations on units?

I was thinking in mixing Basilisk Krea and Nihilators. Would it work? Is it a retarded idea?

Paingiver Beast Handlers

Heard about them, also thinking in adding them.

Are the theme forces worth looking at or building into as a new player? My friend and I are starting with Skorne and Cryx if it matters.

I'm in the same boat for Legion, anyone got recommendations for going forward?

I assume the Heavy multi kit but was looking at the Hellmouth and Seraph. I'm not sure how effective Legion troops are.

Not really, especially with those two factions. The themes here are very specific (which I think is the right way to do themes, even if they don't play to a strength of a faction).
Just get whatever you like and it happens to be in theme, you can use it, but don't build for it.

The General Recommendation is:
Hellmouth(s)
Swordsman
Heavy Kit
Deathstalker(s)
I'd also recommend either Sheppard (for fury management) or spell martyrs (for arc node) just to fill gaps (they're 1pt each)

Are we expecting any information from Smogcon? I haven't played for a while but I've got an eye out for announcements and shit.

New faction is getting revealed there.

new faction reveal.
19:00 GMT if not mistaken

Actually apparently a rumor has floated out of smogcon. In SR 2017 the game will end on turn 5 on a roll of 5+, with most scenario points when the game ends will decide the winner. Apparently testing for this will begin next month.
Additionally the game will automatically end at the end of turn 7.

Also a picture of the smogcon new hordes faction exclusive model has been leaked.

more

That's all pretty sweet, I wanna know what's going on with their RPG line these days. Feels like there hasn't been a peep outside of NQ articles since MK3 launched

This sounds terrible.
The random game length I mean.
I seriously hope its a troll

Alright. I'll keep that in mind, though he didn't seem too interested in the skorne one anyway.

He was asking what Skorne units were good, though. I honestly don't know, so I couldn't really help him. What's a good way to move on from the 2Player skorne set? How about that Warlock that gets the body guards? He expressed interest there.

Personally, I'm also looking at Denny and I honestly like all three of them, though I've only really heard about Denny1. With the Cryx 2player, I was thinking of another heavy kit and either more Bane Warriors or some Satyxis raiders. Anything else that I should keep my eye on for Cryx?

not trolling bro. It will be subject to community testing so itll probs get BTFD

hopefully

For Skorne its handlers all day, then Krea and agonizer. Very common picks.

For Cryx, Denny 1, satyxis raiders, and the inflictor warjack will get taken a lot.

After finding out it was a grunt model I expected nothing yet I'm still disappointed.

Is he wearing one of those London guard hats?

Huh.

If you don't mind my pestering, why those units in particular? Are they just the better choice or is it a meta thing?

It's called a Bearskin you fucking pleb.

It's usually better to just avoid the theme lists as a new player. Themes are more aimed at the "well, I've already done everything else I can with this faction, let's get weird." Most of them require buying multiples of units that you won't use anywhere else.

If this game is supposed to have a better community than the presumed neckbeard cancerfest of Warhammer, then why the overwhelming experience is that Warhammer people are chill and willing to have fun while wmh is full of complaining tryhard assholes?

For those starting new factions - you're going to get a ton of specific advice you should always take with a grain of salt. But there's also a few general guidelines you should keep in mind:

1) Don't panic about the "right" purchases. If you stick with a faction long enough, chances are you'll eventually have one of just about everything. Most things can be made to work together, even if they are not the perfect, most synergistic choice. And even if something is a little weak now, by the time you actually get a significant body of models built and painted up, the rules will probably have changed.

2) Play more than you buy. The battlebox-level game is not perfect, but you should get at least a couple dozen games in before moving up. There's an urge to buy everything all at the beginning - DON'T. Build up slowly, play a lot of games at each point level (0, 25, 50, 75), and it will become obvious what you need next in your list.

3) Generally just ignore anybody with an very extreme opinion about a specific model ("X is unplayable trash", "Y completely breaks the game", "all infantry is worthless", etc). These people are universally, and without exception, complete morons. If something appeals to you, get it and play it. If you're on the fence, proxy it. Either way, just get those models on the table and judge for yourself.

That's what the tournament players take.
I know because I check it on Discount Games

It looks surprisingly human.

Take this with a grain of salt. I hope it's not true:

Sent to me by a friend at smog con:

Games will now end on a dice roll of a 5+ on turn 5. Ending automatically on turn 7.
Most cp wins when it happens. You don't win for having 5cp. (A 6cp lead ends the game).
Rumours that flags are caster scoring, circles are infantry scoring and squares are jack scoring.
Asassination is to be encourgaged. (Presumably because you just win...)
Going to be publicly tested for feedback next month.

These threads are shit. The real life community is the best I've ever seen. Then again I am from the old world and can't really comment on the American community.

Oh, source is apparently some facbook group.

Oh god, man, they've gone Full Malifaux.

... you never go Full Malifaux.

>Then again I am from the old world and can't really comment on the American community.
American communities are, in my experience, pretty cool too.

Obviously, if you get big enough, there's always a couple bad apples. But in general, I like the WMH community MUCH better than most of the people I met playing 40K or MTG (only two games I've played with similarly large playerbases).

First off - you shouldn't judge either community by the internet. The internet is full of trolls, that's part of its charm. You can find some good advice on here but you usually have to sift through a mountain of bad advice to get it.

You need to go to your local shop and just see what's up. See what people are playing, talk to them, hang out, ask people to teach you or do a demo game etc. End of the day it's a social game, so you have to like the people you're gonna be hanging out with.

>London guard hat
>It's called a Bearskin you fucking pleb.
Is that true? Hahaha, ah, holy crap, that's so stupid. Does England even HAVE bears?

>beautiful tables with immersive terrain that fits with the wmh rules are available at my game store
>wmh players opt out for playing with ugly, mismatched flat terrain printed on paper and pick regular tables without even using a gaming mat
You truly are the wargaming ascetics. Brava for making the game extremely unappealing to new people visiting the store.

Talk to the people at your store instead of whining to us on the Internet. Maybe you'll actually achieve something other than being called a faggot.

I feel ya man. I love using 3-D terrain, its nice and immersive, and I just cant stand it when im forced to use the paper crap.

3d terrain is impossible to play on with any degree of accuracy and highly increases the likelihood of battle damage and paint chipping since PP only makes shitty fiddly metal models.

So for Skorne the handlers are a unit that are in practically every list. The faction is designed around them, as they give strength buffs at end free charging, but even your heavy hitters have low power. The design intention is that you whip the monsters and they go beat people up.

The agonizer and basilisk Krea are both situational but key defensive pieces, they put your armor stats for melee and shooting (respectively) into "very beefy" territory. Good placement and effectively leveraging those pieces can win you games combined with the rest of skorne's roster. Those items and the gladiator are Skorne 101. You don't need all of them every game, but you will almost definitely take at least one.

For Cryx, denegra 1 is a prime caster and they are are ll pretty solid. Her shtick is she takes all the opponent's stats away, this allows her cheap but not very effective unit and warjacks to punch above their weight class. This is also the Cryx factions basic design theory. The inflictor is a relatively inexpensive but very effective warjack. It has just below standard hitting power for the faction, high armor (for the faction), a long reach which is a great advantage and shield guard, which is an awesome glove save versus shooting assassination, scalpeling out support pieces, and just having it available makes opponents have to think around it or rethink their game plan sometimes. Satyxis raiders are a strong melee unit that deliver themselves and do chip damage to the enemy warcaster which changes a lot of their calculus with how risky they can play.

Also having units that are almost ubiquitous is not uncommon in this game. The Protectorate will almost always take the choir, trolls the stone, etc. There are powerful support units and the faction is designed around them to reinforce an evocative game play theme. That's the intent, anyway.

Your skorne collection should absolutely include all of: Gladiator, Paingiver Beast Handlers, Krea and Agonizer by the time you get to 75 points. Each of them brings a key ability that is fundamental to how the faction works. You won't always bring them in every list. But when you don't bring them, it's usually because you've thought about those models and decided you have some other specific way to cover that gap.

>Also having units that are almost ubiquitous is not uncommon in this game. The Protectorate will almost always take the choir, trolls the stone, etc. There are powerful support units and the faction is designed around them to reinforce an evocative game play theme. That's the intent, anyway.
This. The power support pieces in each faction are not "auto-includes", in the sense that they are in every list, but they're almost certainly in every faction player's collection. You always at least think consider taking them.

It doesnt stop literally any other wargame community. If you are too fat to lean over the table and see behind an obstruction or too waac to give up toeing into hills then the guilt is on you. Also part of PP tables on official tournaments is scenic then why cant yours?

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but toeing into hills isn't a thing anymore.

Shut the fuck up you casual piece of shit

> Cryx starting
Cryx is a little unusual in that they don't have a lot of "obvious" starter models... it varies a great deal by caster. Satyxis Raiders are showing up in a lot of lists right now, and ff you like the models, you should absolutely give them a shot.

Something I found worked really well when starting Cryx was to scoop up a lot of the independent solos and mini-units. Things like Machine Wraiths, Pistol Wraiths, Warwitch Sirens, Soul Trappers, Scrap Thralls, Gunslingers, Daraugh Wrathe, Withershadows, or Overlords.

The reason being all of those things can operate fairly independently without much support from the caster, and their points cost make it fast and easy to build to specific point values as your building up your collection. For instance, at 25, your list usually ends up being "battlegroup + some stuff". You also get a feel for the different types of tools available and interactions with caster abilities.

As your collection grows into hundreds of points and you mature as a player, maybe you won't use that pistol wraith as much or whatever, but you'll have a good understanding of when you should use that type of model and how.

Not at all true, they also make shitty fiddly resin models. *goes back to scraping mold lines*

he said, wheezing and out of breath after climbing half a flight of stairs. He hated 3D terrain, but he hated physical exertion even more. Tomorrow, the doctor would inform him that his leg would be amputated due to complications with diabetes. The other players didn't care, their models would never again be coated in the thick, orange dust of his cheeto-covered fingers.

rip

I do, but I'm not sure how to throw it online reliably. I also have the Trollbloods and Protectorate one.

interested to see all of those if you end up hosting them, user

And of course it's fucking real.

privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?269446-SR2017-Spoilers-rumors-and-some-clarity-to-boot!

Most of the stuff is alright.
The random game turn however ...

Yeah, that's pure and unfiltered shit. Also not entirely sold on the scenario victory condition, but we'll have to see.

And making attrition a win condition goes against every base principle of WMH.

you not pumped for Warmachine: 40,000 bro?

Still it would be nice to have the entire thing shown. Changes in scenarios ect.
My initial reaction is negative on randomness but I will try to test it as intended before passing judgement.

On paper it seems like an alright idea. in my experience most games go to about 5 turns tops and most of the time you can see who mostly has the game by then, very rarely in my experience is it up in the air enough to be a concern.

Iv also had slogs that have gone on for a while which I wish would just end so having an out by that time is nice.

but then again I see the potential for this rule to go to shit fast.

random charges WHEN???

Honestly unconcerned about random game length. By the end of round 5 most of my games are decided or clocked out, anyway.

You MIGHT get burned once or twice on it, where if you had another turn you could have eaked out a win. There's already a 7 round cap in a lot of events for time purposes, I'm not sure if randomly shortening it was necessary but I guess we'll see.

The random shit I absolutely hate are feats and shooting attacks. When you arbitrarily don't get maximum work out of 15+ point pieces or once a game abilities it drives me fucking nuts.

It used to. They got hunted to extinction.

Con exclusive with paint.

>bearskin hats
>bears
>It used to. They got hunted to extinction.
Presumably they were all made into hats by the london guard.

Mk3 Trollbloods Command
www20.zippyshare.com/v/1tLOuOW7/file.html

Mk3 Protectorate Command
www20.zippyshare.com/v/LToez2J8/file.html

Mk3 Circle Orboros Command
www20.zippyshare.com/v/dAMPtJKy/file.html

>Honestly unconcerned about random game length. By the end of round 5 most of my games are decided or clocked out, anyway.
>You MIGHT get burned once or twice on it, where if you had another turn you could have eaked out a win. There's already a 7 round cap in a lot of events for time purposes, I'm not sure if randomly shortening it was necessary but I guess we'll see.
Yeah, this is my mind on it as well. Random term lengths in a game with a clock seem completely superfluous. What does it contribute?

The best defense I've heard for it is that it almost never matters. THEN WHY FUCKING DO IT

Uncertainty and excitement.

A problem in 40k was the last turn of the game was the only turn players played for the objective. To remedy this they created a random last turn. It worked fairly well.

So... is this supposed to be a joke, or is that seriously a mini they're using?

WMH doesn't have that problem though.

Except that WMH scenarios are designed so that doesn't actually work. If you wait until the last turn to play for scenario, you lose on scenario. Why would we want to voluntarily adopt a patch for a problem in an entirely different game?

It's a hilarious joke. I'm LOLing and ROFLing and CSHICing all over the room right now.

Nah, I'm guessing it's a con-exclusive in the vein of the gobber cephalyx drudge... like the new faction has a unit of these "hollow men" and this is just an alternative pose or something.

It's a con exclusive. They're all silly. I think the standard model is just a hollowed trencher.

Oh damn. Wild Hunt theme with Grayle is gonna be a THING. That list was already good, and now you just randomly get free models and extra rules for taking the things you already wanted to take.

Any Circle list without double Sentry Stones can be a THING all it wants, and I'd rather see it than something else.

Glad y'all like them. Hopefully they get added to the Sticky at some point.

it is trust me, I played against it 3 days after it was released, guy used only wolfsworn. let me tell you that list/them can be nasty. scrapped most of my jacks in a turn or two granted they were bonejacks and helljacks but still...

Friend at Smogcon is at the new Hordes faction reveal.

>Old Witch released the new faction casters
>new faction casters are 5 humans who defied Menoth and were cast into hell
>Old Witch 2 is a Khador partisan
>Shes the only caster of the new faction to have a feat
>other casters give enemies negative effects if you hurt their forces like going on fire or getting knocked down

Yeah, I was seeing it a lot last summer, one of my friends was playing it often. The most striking thing is how accurate it gets... you get one point grunts hitting at effective MAT 11 and shit, it really puts you back on your heals. The accuracy skews the dice math to the point where "worthless" attacks start adding up even against decent ARM, because they ALL hit.

It's biggest problem is still, even with the theme, cracking real ARM.. I think you probably just need to make sure you pick your beasts with that in mind.

Old Witch can also summon grymkin.
Theres also grymkin cavalry which is pygs riding humans

>new faction casters are 5 humans who defied Menoth and were cast into hell

please refer to:

>Random game length is inherently terrible
How so?

I don't play Warmahordes, but the most consistent criticism I have heard from my local is that it's too focused on developing the one perfected, basically static Rube-Goldberg, and all creativity in the game revolves around keeping that machine on its tracks.

Random game length forces a little bit more improvising into it, since you can't just plan to be in a tenuous but coincidentally winning position at the end of turn 5.

Disclaimer: Malifaux player. We live with the possibility of three extra turns on top of the standard five.

take a look at warmachine scenarios before passing judgement. You can generally score every turn and it's first to a specific score. Plus you play with a chessclock. Random game length adds nothing meaningful, just another rule to remember.

Is that an official studio job or an afternoon job by an impressively dedicated fan?

Because it could be better painted, and if it's the former then it's baffling that PP would put out something like that

faction videos up.

youtube.com/watch?v=xuOur7YPiS0

we halloweentown now

>each Defier has a TRUMP ARCANA

Didn't it say somewhere up thread that a minor change to point scoring was being tested?
So you continue to accumulate VPs, and whoever has the most at the end (or gets the assassination) is the winner.

As an outsider, I think the strongest argument against this change that I have heard is that it's usually invalidated by the clock.
That's all well and good, but for casual play I think it adds tension that you have to play as hard as you can turns 4 and 5 while still being aware that final positioning still matters, as there's a chance you may get boned if you over-extend.

It adds unnecessary randomness. It's trash.

See above post It's not unnecessary - it adds another level of tactical consideration to the game.

Yeah, no.

>we halloweentown now
I was one of the people saying "it can't be that bad" last couple months, but.... yeah, it's that bad. They somehow manage to be MORE cheesy than malifaux's neverborn, while feeling like uninspired ripoffs of the same.

No point trying to guess about rules now, until we see the full text, but the faction concept is just... yeesh. I mean, really? They rejected doing Infernals as a faction so they could do THIS instead? That is stupefying.

Honestly, with that hype "campaign", were you really surprised this is poop?

Thank you for these!

On the upside there is no upside, they look crap.
I know one of the guys at the FLGS is very very excited about them, is going to be buying in immediately.
About 65% of the other players think it looks like hot garbage though, .and. wanks up the setting unfixably.

Definitely agree about the faction concept being weak though.

A whole lot of why going on here.

We Malifaux now boys!

No problem. I asked around for them a while then broke down and bought them. Was left wanting but no reason not to put them up for other people.

im in the ok? why? category myself. while I don't think they completely wank up the setting unfixably, I agree I don't think they fit very well at all.

I dunno, that heavy with the skincloak looks cool, and the Dreamer looks cool too. Also at least Khador got OldWitch2 out of the deal.

Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I wish I could be.

on the plus side they will probably get the CoC treatment after the "hype" dies down.