MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge -「 F R I D A Y I ' M I N L O V E 」

Y'all know what time it is!

Hey man, nice to see you

Probably a stupid question, but if I Snapcaster and choose the Ancestral Recall in my graveyard, what's it's flashback cost?

The same as the mana cost- {NULL}. And you can't pay a cost that doesn't exist.

(I'm assuming you meant Ancestral Vision- if you actually meant Ancestral Recall, then it's just U.)

Here's the situation that happened in a commander game a few days ago
Player 1 has 15 lp and player 2
>Player 1 has kusarigama equipped to a 7/7 with trample. Attacks player 2.
>Player 2 has 4 creatures and blocks the 7/7 with a 5/5
>Player 2 casts Reflect Damage targeting kusarigama
>Player 1's 7/7 has to deal lethal to the creature, so 5 damage, and kusarigama deals 5 to the other 3 creatures.
What happens? We puzzled over it and just decided we both died at the same time since reflect damage just redirects all 15 damage to his face the same moment I take the 2.

Player 2 has 2lp*

So, Active Player assigns minimum of 5 damage to the blocker, and maximum of 7. We'll assume they go with 5 to blocker and 2 to opponent. They assign that damage, damage is dealt, and Kusari-Gama triggers.

Then State-Based Actions are checked, and see a 5/5 with 5 damage marked on it, and a player at 0 life. Simultaneously, the 5/5 is destroyed, and Player B loses the game for having 0 life. The Kusari-Gama trigger never even goes on the stack, let alone resolves, so Reflect Damage never kills Player A by preventing the damage from the Kusari-Gama.

Is there any way for a game to end in a draw that does not include:
>Something that hits all players for lethal damage/lose life
>Both players agreeing the match to be a draw.

Can I play Seed Time if I get it off of Rashmi's cast trigger on another player's turn?

Divine intervention, Celestial convergence

Sure. A draw technically happens in one of three situations: an effect says so (like Divine Intervention), all players agree to draw the game, or all players lose simultaneously. So if everyone decked out off of one big-ass Fascination, or hit 0 life, or got to 10 poison counters, etc, etc. that'd kill everyone at once and cause a draw.

Nope. You can only cast Seed Time during your turn.

If someone casts a couple dozen spells simultaneously and a few of those spells have storm, are all the spells applied to the storm count?

You can't cast spells "simultaneously". The Storm count will only know how many spells were cast before that one; so if you cast 10 Storm spells in a row, the storm count will be 0, then 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, etc, for each spell. No two of them will have the same Storm count.

Do the copies count other spell copies cast the same turn?

Copies of spells are not 'cast', so they won't trigger Storm, or count towards it.

I have this problem with the Elusive Tormentor rules.

So, in the usual game, you spend one neutral mana and discard on card to turn her into mist. If I attack and turn her back during defense phase, when the enemy can't defend againist it.

Will my opponent get 4 damage or will the turn make it blockable again?

Also, can I only discard one card for the transformation effect?

1) There's no such thing as neutral mana.

2) There's no such thing as a 'defense phase'.

3) That's more or less the point, yes; you transform it over to Insidious Mist to attack since it's Hexproof, Indestructible, and can't be blocked. Once they don't block, Mist triggers, and you can pay 2B. If you do, it transforms back to a 4/4, and they take 4 damage. It does become 'blockable' again, but that doesn't matter because we're past the point where they get to block (in fact, it has to go unblocked to even trigger).

4) You cannot discard more than one card for the effect, because you can't overpay. What you CAN do is activate the ability and hold priority to activate it again if you want, but that'll transform it to Mist, then right back to Tormentor (and it'd cost you 2 mana instead of 1).

Don't the combat steps go
>Declare attackers
>>May cast spells
>Declare blockers
>>May cast spells
If so, just make him blockable after blockers are declared since he can't declare something to block it.

>What you CAN do is activate the ability and hold priority to activate it again if you want, but that'll transform it to Mist, then right back to Tormentor
I believe it would remain as Mist.

You are correct, and I am not, because of a rules update from Shadows that I had forgotten about.

701.26f. If an activated or triggered ability of a permanent that isn't a delayed triggered ability of that permanent tries to transform it, the permanent transforms only if it hasn't transformed since the ability was put onto the stack. If a delayed triggered ability of a permanent tries to transform that permanent, the permanent transforms only if it hasn't transformed since that delayed triggered ability was created. In either case, if the permanent has already transformed, the instruction to transform is ignored. This is a change from previous rules.

What happens if I copy a spell like pic related that re-suspends itself after being cast? Would the copy also be suspended, cast again a few turns later, suspended again, cast again a few turns later etc.?

The copy would exile itself upon resolving, and then summarily stop existing because copies of spells can't exist in any zone except the stack.

does this work the way i think it does?

>ping with gelectrode
>cast cerulean wisps on it
>untaps due to an instant being cast
>ping again
>untaps when wisps resolves
>ping again

Yep.

thank god

>The Kusari-Gama trigger never even goes on the stack
If it was something like "to each other creature" rather than "each other creature defending player controls" the trigger would still go on the stack and resolve, yeah?

Wonderful, thanks!

Do the fate counters from Oblivion Stone and Triad of the Fates interact? I'm up at arms over it with a friend.

A fate counter is a fate counter is a fate counter. Oblivion Stone and Triad of the Fates both don't check "did this fate counter come from me".

they're both fate counters, why wouldn't they interact?

do +1/+1 counters from Triskelion and Dragon Blood not interact?

Exactly what I thought. Thank you.

No problem. It's worth noting that there ARE some things that care about how a counter got there or otherwise don't overlap the same way Oblivion Stone and Triad of the Fates do.

For example, if Five Alarm Fire is somehow a land and you've got an Obsidian Fireheart out, the blaze counters on Five Alarm Fire won't damage it's controller unless Five Alarm Fire got one of its blaze counters from Fireheart.

to be fair Fireheart's "put a blaze counter on target land" and "target lands gains "at the beginning of its controller's upkeep this deals 1 damage to you" are separate abilities. So technically they interact in the sense that if Five-Alarm Fire becomes a land it's protected from Fireheart if it has any blaze counters on it.

What if it was a multiplayer game and a third player was still alive, would the ability go on the stack then?

Probably not because once player B dies his creatures disappear

Ended up having to run off to work on a project, sorry for the late reply.
So the plan here is to self mill an extreme amount and then overload a Mizzix's Mastery. If I'm understanding this right, I need to cast all the non storm copies first and put the storm spells at the top of the stack, right?

>I need to cast all the non storm copies first and put the storm spells at the top of the stack
exactly the opposite, storm triggers for every spell cast before it, so you want to cast your storm spells last (so their storm triggers see every spell cast before) at which point they and all their copies will be put on top of the stack and cast first (assuming you are doing all this with Mizzix Mastery)

>and cast first
sorry, my bad, the storm spells and all their copies will RESOLVE first.

Correct. Casting the spell triggers Gelectrode, and the spell RESOLVING will also untap it, so you can untap from the trigger, ping, then ping after the Wisps untaps it too.

Nope. The problem isn't the wording, the problem is that it's a trigger at all. The trigger fires when the damage happens, but triggers can't go on the stack until SBAs are checked. SBAs see the opponent at 0 life and kill them. No trigger, no matter the wording, would matter here.

A fate counter is a fate counter, same as +1/+1 counters from Evolve count 'against' Undying. It doesn't care where the counter came from, only what kind it is. For example, you can use Bant to put a Divinity Counter on a Myojin!

It would. The trigger would fire, Player B would die to SBAs, then the trigger would go on the stack. Trigger resolves... and absolutely nothing happens, because Player B is no longer in the game, so neither are Player B's dudes.

Right. You exile the cards, make copies in exile, then cast the copies in the order you like. You want the Storm ones to be the absolute last spells you cast, so that your Storm count is mega-maxed out.

But he's right. For a Mizzix's Mastery, he wants to be casting the Storm spells LAST out of all the copies he's casting from Mastery, so they'll be on top of the stack.

If a card says "target creature doesn't untap" does that create have to be tapped first in order for that effect to take place?

If it's a pernament effect, next time that creature would be tapped for any purpose it won't untap anymore.

Nope. If it did, it'd say "Target tapped creature".

If during my opponents discard step I have more than seven cards, am I forced to discard as well?

nope, discard only applies to the player whose turn is ending

Why doesn't rain of gore work with lifelink?
I wanted a rain of gore alms/beast deck.

had to look this up, but strangely the way lifelink works is that the source dealing damage is what cause you to gain life, so although Likelink causes that to happen a "spell or ability" is not causing you to gain life, so Rain of Gore doesn't care.

No, only the Active Player has to discard to their max hand size during a turn's Cleanup Step.

Because with Lifelink, the source of the lifegain isn't an "effect", it's the damage that's being dealt.

However, Tainted Remedy will work fine.

Hope you are still around.

I have a question about Deathtouch. How exactly does it trigger when you use cards that make an enemy creature take damage from the creature with deathtouch?

For example, would a Gnarlwood Dryad kill another creature with no other ability, no matter how much toughnes it has, with a rabid bite or nature's way?

>How exactly does it trigger
It doesn't- not since like 2009. It's now just a static ability.

But to answer your question: Any nonzero amount of damage from a source with Deathtouch will kill a creature. It doesn't have to be combat damage, so if you give Deathtouch to a Prodigal Sorcerer, it'll kill whatever it pings. Both of the spells you listed, when used on a Deathtouch creature, will kill the target (assuming the damage happens and the target doesn't have Indestructible).

Sweet, just making sure before I commit to this deathtouch delirium control setting I'm trying to make on the cheap. Thanks.