Edh/commander general

Sorry I'm not the usual guy: edition

>rules of the format
mtgcommander.net/rules.php
>good deck building resource
tappedout.net
>card searching resource
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx

Thread question, when was the first time you played commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-m-o-t-i-v-a-t-i-o-n-o-f-m-a-n/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/panharmonicon-reanimator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Thread question, when was the first time you played commander?
When I realized I didn't have playsets of all my awesome stuff.

I bought the c13 decks and played them with friends. They had lots of weird and unplayable cards in them, but they were fun and no game was ever the same. Some times afterwards I disassembled all my other decks and started to build my own commander decks.

Went to my university's magic and was invited in to a commander game and was given a deck. My favorite formant ever since.

When one of people i played with discovered Sheldon's forum posts about a new format. I gotta say it's been nice to have played it from the beginning

Because my playgroup has devolved into a meta where you either play super-aggro, combo or just lose, to spice things up and hopefully shift things away from that, what some of us are doing is building decks using too of our least favorite colors. Mine is G/W, so I'm building Sigarda, Heron's Grace human tribal. Not very used to building in these colors, especially because I've never done it before, also it's been AGES since I built a tribal deck. Anyway, I finally finished the decklist and before I start buying the cards for it, is there any suggestions you guys would make? Doing this sort of on a budget, so no cards over $10 if you can help it. Yes, I know there are some over that but I either have those or I can trade for them easily enough.

Decklist: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/t-h-e-m-o-t-i-v-a-t-i-o-n-o-f-m-a-n/

Doesn't anyone else have such a casual meta that hyper-aggro decks dominate most games?

Mine, I'm the post above. It's either hyper-aggro or super-combo, every other Archetype has died a cruel death. Very sad.

Except (1. He was tapped out and (2. He had an Iron Works but that would've have done him anygood because all his lands were gone.

Tell me your stories, wise sage. What has changed?

C-C-C-COMBO PLAYERS WHERE YOU AT! Boonweaver is disgusting.

Selvala: saffi combo/value deck
Nakusar: dreamalhalls
Neither are tier one but they hold their own against arcum and jeleva storm
Just way less consistent
Lastly Jori en twin
Def closer to 75℅ than the others

Which cards should be unbanned? Which cards should be banned?

>play monoblack control
>entire table tries to focus me down because I have the audacity to keep the hyper aggro deck in check
having a playgroup with no threat assessment is terrible. I can usually just steal wins with Alesha because no one cares when I Entomb/Buried Alive/ Faithless looting and announce what I'm pitching.

>having a playgroup with no threat assessment is terrible
that it is
enjoy playing archenemy for the rest of your days.

Ban Cradle, Timetwister, Paradox Engine and Metalworker

I'l like to see how an unban of Sundering Titan goes, but Feldon makes that really unlikely.I wouldn't unban too much, honestly. Most stuff that's banned in EDH has a good reason, but the banlist should be expanded

>Paradox Engine
dude no
metal worker for sure, why they unbanned it in the first place is anyone's guess. if you ban cradle we can unban biorhythm which is a win in my book

well we went through the many waves of realizing which generals were broken, so I've seen Zur, Memnarch, Arcum, Rofellos, Braids, Azami, there's porbably more.

When the format first started we were ramping into Darksteel Colossus, then Emrakul

I remember when Sundering Titan was still legal and how bullshit it was

I remember playing before we had to worry about Prophet of Kruphix and Deadeye Navigator

I remember playing before commander precons existed

Biggest lesson I can pass on build casually play competitively. If that doesn't solve your problems then stop playing with a faggot playgroup.

>unban of Sundering Titan
jesus fuck no, that card is cancer, and I even think Sylvan Primordial is fine

Biorhythm is garbage anyway, my playgroup has experienced with it and it's absolute trash. Same as coalition victory, these cards have no business being banned.

I first heard of edh when i was in high school through my older brother in 2010. We mainly played against each other casual decks but he played with other people in his community college. I started to play edh heavily when i graduated from high school and went to community college.

I think they were snap banned along with Kokusho but since no one even wants to use them there's been no push for an unban. Felidar Sovereign is a straight up better win con and it still sucks pretty bad

Craterhoof.

Yes, boardwipes, yes, 8cmc, yes, interaction, yes, Torpor Orb or Peace Keeper or Bridge or whatever. Yes, I play Green.

Its a fucked wincon that is too easy to fetch and too easy to kill a whole table with.

Biorhythm was a staple in early EDH before the rules committee and I think they banned it because it was in every green deck or some shit.

it would be like if me and my friends put rite of replication on the banned list because its in every blue deck.

Prophet of Kruphix

It isn't as easy to splash as seedborne muse, so I don't see why prophet got banned, instead of it.

It gives all your creatures flash so every turn is your turn.

QUICK, POST YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE COMMANDER.

Seedborn isn't on the same plane as Prophet, Seedborn requires cards to take advantage of its ability. Prophet just lets you take your turn during every other players' turn

Plz help ;_;

I WANT TO LOVE YOU WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO BAD?!
i always have at least one of these guys built at any given time

they actually arnt ALL bad but all of them have better alternatives.

i have so much trouble building teneb. i dont know what im doing wrong

You keep forgetting to put karador in the command zone.

I run each one in my 5 colour dragon deack. WHY? because!

i forgot picture. shut up. im not drunk ;_;

>playing Lim Dûl board wipes.dek
>using that janky as Fuck instant from the new set to give it indestructible through a damnation
>then reanimating an entire board while everyone sighs, then scoops
I have never had so much fun in my life. Any spicy tech to survive -X/-X effects? If Lim can survive through a deluge, I'll be a happy camper.

pretty much this
but also these commanders are not build arounds. They look pretty in the command zone and are 6/6 fliers with upside.
but if you are doing an abzan reanimator deck and dont want to use the ghost chieftain, just rememberer that you can use teneb to target creatures in other yards, not just your own.
hermit druid, jarad's orders, buried alive etc will put the cards you need in the grave
when Im playing these dragons I tend to put greaves, swiftfoot boots and darksteel plate in the deck because I know its going to be a more casual deck. They help protect the dragon and the fact of the matter is that these repeatable effects are strong as hell if they actually untap a few times, which considering their costs and lack of immediate effects that usually ends up being the downfall.
TLDR
put stuff in your grave manually, put stuff in your opponents grave and dont count on using teneb every game but make sure to include protection for when you do use him.

why can't they just errata Dromar mang

>survive -X/-X effects?
in mono black?
instant speed reanimation...
uh..
pump effects?

>has a problem with infinite combos
>plays green
wiiju

To my understanding there is nothing that prevents negative counters/ X-/X- until end of turn effects other then putting positive counters on something or the creature straight up saying it cannot have counters placed on it.

>when you solve EDH as a format to the point where you understand that it's a casual game and return to your roots

SHITTER

TURBOSHITTER

GIGA

SHITTER

>Kazuul
noice

Any new recent spicy Braids tech?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/panharmonicon-reanimator/

this is the deck ive been using for the past couple of weeks in causal games. Super fun.

So, /edhg/, what would be the Black, Green and White equivalents to iconic monocoloured enchantments in the vein of Blood Moon and Omniscience?

I love Treva

is Abzan enchantress viable?

What general would even work for it?

Necropotence
Rancor
Oblivion Ring

>White/land tax
RIP
>black
necropotence/phyrexian arena
>green
sylvan library/survival

I want to run people down with stuff like Assemble the Legion and Hellrider. What commander should I start with?

O-ring and rancor aren't that powerful user

I agree with , on green and white

Iroas
seriously hard to deal with but also slow because aggro is all but non-existent in edh.

that being said you can make it work, just get used to being blow out by a WOG on turn 3/4 and then durdling till you die. because that will happen in about 1/3 games you play.

Regenerate him?

would also like to suggest Jor Kadeen. You're going to be running mana rocks so it's not hard to turn Metalcraft online. His ability works well with weenies and is dangerous as hell

that explicitly will not work against Toxic Deluge

Really? Because it's only damage, right?

correct, regenerate only triggers against lethal damage and destroy effects. Regardless, Deluge will make Lim-Dul have 0 or less toughness, so even if he were to regenerate he would still die next time state-based effects are checked.

Iona, Shield of Emeria

Not because it's powerful or hard to remove, but because it's the definition of "stop having fun" in creature form. Also it punishes players for playing budget monocolor decks instead of having to starve for a month to afford a viable manabase.

Also I'd argue Stasis. Nothing good or fun ever came from that card in this format, just degeneracy.

>Iona, Shield of Emeria
completely agree, card does nothing but say "fuck you" to mono-color players

>Stasis
This I don't agree with, Stasis is by no means the lynchpin to stax, banning it just reduces the number of stax cards without really doing anything to the strategy.

Kill yourself. I play fucking mono green and don't mind Iona.

Probably because almost nobody names green with Iona you passive aggressive faggot.

>I don't run colorless removal because I am bad at this game.
>I must blame a fucking 9 mana card instead of dedicating cards to getting out of a jam.
May as well ban all the praetors since they have detrimental effects.

>Stasis. Nothing good or fun ever came from that card
neck yourself, stax is one of the few things keeping combo at bay.

Oh, so I have to mandatorily dedicate slots to colorless removal just because a card is legal and unanswerable otherwise? Might as well unban half the cards then. Why is Braids banned, just Unsummon her every turn in that monoblue bruh!

HOLY SHIT HOW FUCKING BAD AT MAGIC ARE YOU YOU CUMGUZZLING SISTER LISTER FAGGOT FISTER

praetors don't completely shut down mono-colored decks though. Iona is a horribly designed card, there's no way to argue against this.

Stay salty, friend.

>implying I don't run colorless removal to get around protection
>Implying mana cost ever limits how fast a creature comes into play

I think Iona is an issue because she's like Emrakul in that once she hits play the game stops being about playing Magic and "how to play around this massive bomb" Granted Iona isn't nearly as big an issue, but I think a card that you explicitly need to run silver bullets against if you're playing mono color is a problem.

I can't help it. Adapt you shitter. What awful monocolor deck are you playing that you get cucked to death by Iona? Someone else will deal with her, or you were too much of a little shit in that game and you got shut down because of it.

If you get so butthurt over Iona, don't try to suck Sheldon's cock to get rid of it, throw in duplicant, O-stone, Karn, hell, Brittle fucking Effigy will do the trick.

You need to run answers to crazy bombs, it should be on your mind when you deckbuild. Iona is a common problem to monocolored decks, so you run ways to deal with it.

>t1 reanimate Sire of Insanity or Jin Gitaxias
>No one gets to play magic
>T1 reanimate iona
>1 person doesn't get to play magic.
You're just mad because you're on the end of a silver bullet you didn't prepare for

I play monored. I mean I do run Nevin Disk and All is Dust but if you know how to tutor for a single digit pieces of removal in a 99 card deck in this color that I have to mandatorily run because of a single card (one of them being a ~10$ card), please let me know.

What kind of monored is getting consistently cucked by Iona? That's entirely on you for being the biggest threat at the table, or having a playgroup with poor threat assessment. Win faster. Kill harder.

>>t1 reanimate Sire of Insanity or Jin Gitaxias
>>No one gets to play magic
that's wrong though. the game slows down significantly, but you can still play.

>You're just mad because you're on the end of a silver bullet you didn't prepare for
it's a silver bullet you MUST prepare for, that's the difference. if you have to run certain cards just to counter 1 specific card that really tells you about the power level of that one card.

if you don't understand this you are either retarded or a troll.

>Hurrr why i gotta run grave hate????
It's only one of the most powerful strategies in all of Magic.

I run Hidetsugu atm, it's generally quite consistent but there is little I can do about a turn 2 Iona or whatever. But I don't mind losing because of Iona per se because shit simply happens - what irks me is the general concept of the card that screams "stop playing monocolor".
Grave hate is different because almost all of it is colorless, and it's useful against a myriad of decks (almost anything green and/or black in fact). And yet I'm forced to run suboptimal colorless removal just on the off chance that I run into something that basically says fuck you to a whole set of decks. Primeval Titan is much less toxic for deckbuilding, and yet he's banned - why's that?

>you can still play with Jin and Sire
>can't with Iona
Because you built your deck poorly.
Knowing your decks weaknesses and how to cover them is part of deck construction.

>Primeval Titan is much less toxic for deckbuilding, and yet he's banned - why's that?
Really activates your almonds

well, why is it?

>all monocolor decks are required to run colorless removal because of a single card
>this is somehow healthy for variety in the format
Look at the banlist.

Not saying he isn't degenerate (I'd argue Sun Titan is moreso though), but there's so much more you can do about him, in any color in fact, regardless of what kind of deck you run.

Dear Veeky Forums, since I became "that combo/comp guy" at my lgs I decided to somewhat disassemble my Xenagos deck ("too brutal once it's get's going" wut?) to build Gisela, the cute one. Is there a way to make RW good, but not breaking it to degeneracy? Controlish style or hitting face with cute angels, doesn't matter.

I need to stay low for the time since playing 1 vs 3 semi-battlecruisers/wanky aggro isn't the funniest thing when each game regardless of the board state they fuck my shit up if they can just so they can safely play battlecruiser again or it doesn't matter and I combo out anyway

The whole lgs is pretty casual, if you'd take all the guys with acctually good decks you might be able to fire a pod on a good day.

My current shit: Boonweaver Karador with option to fast switch to Ghave, 70% complete Sydri, mentioned Xenagod

Look, if you lack the critical thinking skills to understand the sheer value of a card like Primeval Titan, as opposed to the niche effect of MAYBE hosing a single monocolor deck in a multiplayer format, you may be fucking retarded.

Primeval Titan was one of the most cancerous cards to exist in all of EDH. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief to see it banned. It didn't see play in t0 decks, but nobody plays tier 0 decks in EDH because it's a casual format. Primeval Titan was a card that simply overwhelmed you with value.

Fetching up cradle, cofferborg, who the fuck knows what else was an insane value play, especially on a creature that can be reanimated, cloned, and gets more fucking triggers on attacks.

Iona is a card that, once resolved, will inevitably die, and when it does, you're going to eat a big dick from all the players who you locked out of the game.

I'd rather reanimate a Jin or Sire of Insanity, or a fucking Consecrated Sphinx.

Not the 9-mana beatstick that stops mattering the second she leaves play.

Is that a problem of Titan itself, or of Cradle being a ridiculous card that miraculously wasn't banned along with Academy?

Primeval titan can fetch out degenerate lands like gaea's cradle. Having him fetch out 2 lands, any land, is a fucking mistake, especially in green, a color that ramps. Throw in other strategies, such as flickering, makes him stronger.

You didn't need cradle for Prime Time to be fucking retarded. I played a lot of U/G/X cancer back then, and when in doubt the choice was always get Prime Time.

Momir? Tutor him up.
Wanderer? Worldy Tutor that piece of shit for four free lands.
Random-ass monogreen trash deck that got an early ramp start? Shit, let's ramp more.

Whereas with Iona, nobody is going to make Iona their dedicated tutor target unless they consistently play three opponents who share a color. SHE'S a silver bullet card, not a card that demands you play a silver bullet.

Different user but primeval titan is so fucking good even without a gaea's cradle. Regarding gaea's cradle not being banned, who knows why it isn't banned. It's a question to ponder right alongside metalworker

>SHE'S a silver bullet card, not a card that demands you play a silver bullet.
A silver bullet there's no chance to escape unless you manage to topdeck an answer or somebody actually helps you out. Again, this isn't about power level per se, this is about promoting interaction and deck variety, which Iona fundamentally opposes.

There are ways to build gisela from my experience. They are either double damage galore, MLD/stax effects, equip voltron, enchanment damage, and extra combat phases. Granted, it'll be difficult since it's RW, so you must heavily rely on artifacts a lot, which is made easier with the new supports from kaladesh block. If you want to make her really casual, there's plenty of support for RW soldiers. Have them swing en masse when she's on the field.

Iona is not a common card. Even if she were five dollars, I promise you, she would not be a format staple. Why? She just isn't that good. She does not fundamentally oppose deckbuilding decisions. Only a colossal retard would sleeve up their deck and think "hurpdedurp, my mono color deck loses to Iona!" Wow, yeah, and the 5 color combo deck loses to blood moon.

Either hope some asshole kills Iona, or accept that you dug this grave by somehow being a big enough threat that everyone wants to keep you out of that game.

>first time you played commander

A classmate in uni introduced me to the game, and I looked at the wizards release schedule and Commander 2015 was the next thing coming out soon so i bought Meren for myself and Kalemne for my gf. I beat her so badly because we didnt realize how vast the power differences were. I didnt realize it at first, but losing really hurt her feelings so she didnt play much. However, my classmate and I played quite often and i got really into the game because i was extremely depressed in my life and needed an outlet. I made my gf play with me a lot of beat her even more. Because more and more of our time was spent doing something she didnt like, she grew more and more distant. She was a very meek person, so she never said anything. One day, she didnt kiss me back after I dropped her off at home. Within the next two weeks she dumped me and moved on. We had been together for 2 years and I am still convinced she was the one. Its been a year since we broke up, and i think about her every day. I tried relationships with 3 other girls but just cant move on from her. I miss what we had together. I dont even like Magic that much anymore but I have nothing else to fill my free time anymore.

Casual to the point where I wil sneak in Armageddon, so I guess mld/stax it is combined with Hidetsugu

Get used to no one replying unless it's either the current meme or they get to show off their own deck.
Welcome to /edhg/

This. Decks have silver bullets. Whether it's arcane labratory, blood moon, Choke, Boil or Iona, you can backbreak every deck.
It's a part of magic, and since she isn't overpowered, she should stay.

Karmic Justice is ridiculous in Sigarda, I'd recommend slotting it in somewhere.

Sucks that happened, the feeling of being responsible of destroying a happy moment, but honestly speaking, you're a fucking idiot for being fucking dense. I'll use a saying popular among my people, "Por pendejo", a message that roughly translates to "that happened for being a fucking idiot". Either way, i hope you get your shit together and find a girl that makes you happy.

At least you stomped hard.

Dude, why did you keep forcing her to play? She obviously hated it.