/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Raven Queen Edition

>New Unearthed Arcana: Warlocks and Wizards.
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
>Don't forget to fill out the official survey for Sorcerers.
sgiz.mobi/s3/ede55d46dded

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Last session...
What do you want the most out of Tuesday's UA?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DS8YSWpBCjs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What classes do you recommend MOST for storm king's thunder? What's hard to go without?

Something I can play on Wednesday.

I like keeping the number of classes few and Archetypes many, but I don't mind a new take.

Lore wizard. Without their versatility, the party is doomed.

I want another fucking Int caster that isn't wizard or as OP/invalidates another class like fucking lore wizard.
Continuing from last thread.
Yeah, I want to encourage them early to play scared enough that they think about what they're doing before they do it. Also, should I roll stealth for traps and pit that against their passive perception to notice something 'off' like a tile out of place? From there investigation to see what the trap is and sleight of hand to disarm if they get access to the mechanism?

The options in our setting are:
- Revivify within one minute with no penalty (their soul hasn't departed yet)
- Resurrection, but they come back wrong (the recipient rolls on the madness table)
- Resurrection, but the caster has to offer something in exchange (eg., a huge chunk of their own lifespan)
The latter two are both considered heretical, and most people would feel ambivalent at best about being on the receiving end. They do have a choice in whether they return or not, but they don't remember that (or anything of the afterlife) upon awakening.

We used to have pay-to-revive clerics at every temple but that just ends up being so fucking dramatically limp.

Fuck that's a pretty good idea.
There's actually a unicorn from our first session Summoned by a sorcerer's wild magic, and tamed by a sequential nat20 that the group is acquainted with, and I had a silly "One of you is the chosen one" trope to hook them into the adventure. Maybe they have to sacrifice it to bring him back, albeit with a curse.
I might have him revive anyways because I'm a pussy but have him attract demons, and I could do the resurrection catastrophe that I mentioned a few posts early.
You're right, and that's another one of the reasons why I really don't like resurrection. I think, in that sense, one revive might just might shake him up a bit.

They are all fine, ranger with Giants as a favored enemy and giant killer is kind of really good.

Things to soak up damage, things to pass Arcana checks on Giants and history checks would be great.

I guess bard is the best.

The Psion seems to be a pretty good Int class, and it also makes Int saves worth something. Maybe Int won't be a dump stat anymore for fear of having their brain melted.

Actually, I guess you could say that their god took pity on them and helped mitigate whatever super extreme ressurection difficulties there were, but on future occasions characters will probably suffer some major problem from ressurections.

Have an activated trap at the front of the entrance that will tell them traps are present.

Have a thieves cant symbol marking danger ahead.

I made traps with DCs for investigation attached to them. They rolled an investigation for a ten foot cube and if they rolled high enough they see it. I do put a few at 20 or so to be sure they don't get through completely unscathed.

Be sure to have a clear stop when traps stop though, cause then the session is boring and takes forever

Why the fuck does psionics key off of intelligence? It's about exerting mental force to affect your surroundings, isn't it? You don't have to memorize arcane formulae, you don't have to perform complex math, etc. It should key off of charisma, shouldn't it? That's what force of mind is, right? At the very least, wisdom, because of willpower saves/checks being regulated to wisdom. But not fucking intelligence, that one makes the least sense of the mentals.

Another class Int class to go with the Int skills.

Wizards program the universe
Psions hack it through a backdoor (the Far Realms).

Charisma is force of personality and emotion. Wisdom is a mental fortitude and focus, intelligence is the power.

Imagine a car, charisma is the look of it and the style, wisdom is the framework and quality of the parts. Intelligence is the engine.

There's two ways to tell you why your opinion is wrong and why it should be Intelligence.

The first way is to say that psionics isn't about your force of will, it's your brain working in a fundamentally different way to manipulate the world around them (much like wizards).

The second way is to tell you that we have 3 Charisma-based classes and only 1 Intelligence-based one. Intelligence as it stands is a dump stat for anyone not a wizard, and it needs to be more powerful.

Quantity is entirely irrelevant to a discussion about how fitting a stat is to a certain ability. There could be a thousand charisma-based classes and one intelligence-based class, and it still wouldn't matter - it's about how fitting it is. If you want, for example, another constitution-reliant class with abilities that key off of it, that's fine, just don't make it something that doesn't fit just because you need to fill the quota.

But Intelligence is fitting to psionics.

I wasn't contesting that part of your argument.
Just the last bit when you brought up the amount of classes keyed to certain stats.

Also in regards to it, artificer :^)

All the Gods have a variety of creatures that serve them that they can send around to help out their followers and people doing good shit for causes the God cares about (you don't necessarily have to be a devout of Ilmater to help treat the diseased and dying; showing up and helping you out is one of the primary ways by which Gods gain new followers).

Mystra reveals objects of importance and clues by surrounding them in a blue-white, pulsing glow. If you're a cool Mystran follower trying to kill a lich but you can't find the hidden entrance to his phylactery storage room, Mystra might just put a light on that for you. She also sends a VERY wide range of creatures (angelic beings, certain dragon types, a few birds and horse/donkey/mule-like animals with blue/white heterochromia) to help her followers out and will occasionally show her approval by making the character stumble across valuable gemstones.

Torm, in addition to walking around in his humanoid avatar form and smiting evil shit a lot, will occasionally show up as a huge floating gauntlet that can speak to characters, move PCs or large objects, break down walls and doors, and point stuff out. He may also cause animated swords and shields to spring out of nothingness and help defend the faithful. He may send dragons, lammasus, pegasii, and einharjer to help out as well. If you do something that pleases him, he'll stick a diamond in a nearby wall or doorway, burn an image of a gauntlet/shield/sword into fabric, or cause a white rose to grow nearby.

Wisdom classes don't gain the power themselves they get it from a god. Charisma does this to a similar extent save for bards.

Psionics learn it all from scratch and the only class that does just that is a Wizard. I think they are doing fine.

Explain atheist paladins
Explain druids and rangers

Self-conviction.

Then it's not getting it from a separate entity

As a bard that is nearing the end of STK I have to say I've been quite instrumental yo my party's success. Being able to sing to the tune of giants really helps in persuading them into not crushing you.

Not him, but paladins aren't a wisdom class. Their powers come from their devotion to a set of ideals. Wisdom in the case of druids and rangers represent their awareness of primeval magics surrounding them.

Remember, pretending to be retarded isn't actually trolling.

>I want another fucking Int caster that isn't wizard
1) Archmage patron allows warlocks to cast using Int. Class abilities include one free counterspell (no slot expended) per short rest.
2) Witch is a full caster who gets Hex in its spell list and can throw off curses as class abilities
3) Arcane Archer is a half-caster like the paladin and ranger, can use arrows to goof around with the range of spells.

>homebrew classes
opinion discarded

Archmage patron? Witch? Is that a homebrew, or what?

>"Charisma does this to a similar extent"
I sincerely hope you were only pretending to be retarded, user.

> Archmage patron
> Witch
N-n-n-nani?

I think you replied to the wrong person.

Yes, and?

Paladin should be a wisdom class, while cleric should be charisma class. Fight me.

but he didn't even post an opinion? good meme

In addition to sending creatures around, they like to throw out a lot of buffs.

Talos, God of Destruction, will make stormclouds that zap red lightning onto people and objects and bless, heal, or buff them. But if you're pissing him off, the cloud shoots normal lightning and smites your dumb ass. This could also be construed as his favor if it's striking your enemies, not you.

Waukeen drops money in your path where it really shouldn't be, and will point out objects of interest to her / you with floating coin "snakes" that remain legal tender.

Oghma will send a blue-green light and spooky music to let people know that he's watching them, and will occasionally give them a verbal pat on the back, tell them to fuck off, or give them a hint about something in his old man voice. Weirdly, the song that plays when he manifests is always the same, and if anyone tries to play it back at any point, the manifestation appears and will burn the shit out of them (even to death) until they stop. He'll also show up as a ball of white light that shoots rainbow lasers out of two flaming eyes to buff people.

Kelemvor will appear as a ghostly skull (with or without a skeletal arm) that points stuff out, talks (usually mentally), handle items, move people, or just skeletally bitch slap stuff. He can dispel and disrupt all undead in a wide area, or raise all nearby corpses into undead and turn control of them over to a mortal.

Gond drops items (even magical ones) into the lap of his faithful when they're in some dire pinch, but doesn't mention why or how they're supposed to be used. He leaves it up to the worshipper's ingenuity to get themselves out of that scrape with the object(s) provided, which will then disappear when they've served their purpose. Sometimes he shows up as a small black cloud or hammer to talk to and cast spells on people.

Nope.

Okay, you're wrong?

I'll quote some PHB then.

Druids:
"Druids revere nature above all, gaining their spells and other magical powers either from the force of nature itself or a nature deity."

Rangers:
"... rangers acquire the ability to cast spells that harness nature's power, much as a Druid does."

Both are catalysts for the powers of nature nerd.

Paladin:

"... but all are bound by the oaths that grant them power to do their sacred work."

The power is granted, they don't learn it. They are given it. By what, that's for the philosophers.

You could just play in a setting where it all comes from hard work but this is what the PHB says. But if your Druids Rangers and Paladins aren't from the PHB then:

Depends on the setting.

What cute monsters has your party faced recently, /5eg/?

I make reincarnate the standard low level option to get brought back, unless the party are in a huge city. Easier than finding a caster 4 levels higher, and easier to obtain the materials (where the fuck are you gonna find a diamond worth 1000 gold)

Of course, this entirely depends on the players whether this is a punishment or not. If it is, it provides a pretty good quest hook for the player to search for a way to get back to their original race, without immediately screeching the current quest to a halt.

Anyone know if there's a way in Roll20 to make a macro that will change the value of an attribute?
For example, I have a monk with attribute @currentKi. I want to make a macro which will, with one click, do something like
>/me uses Flurry of Blows
>@currentKi = @currentKi - 1

>Paladins
>Wise
>Charismatic
Pick none.

An orc orphan with a shiv, trying to collect a bounty.

He almost got taken home, too.

>nargacuga
>cute

Motherfucker, you surely have never fought that particular son'bitch, but lemme tell ya, it's anything but

Not the user you're replying to, but I felt the need to say that oaths seem really fucking retarded in 5e. How's a nigga getting power from an oath even if he has no god? It's just fucking weird. Oaths are just oaths, nigga.

They should have kept it simple and said no atheist paladins because paladins draw from their god. Fucking hell, man.

Unfortunately to make macros go back and change something on a sheet, you need API access (from the $10/mo plan).

Something something universe isn't completely understood. Something something promises have some kind of magical bond if you can hold to it hard enough.

I usually think of it as something like that

It's the power of their conviction to follow the oath, in some way. force of will is basically an unstudied source of magic

Sorcerer UA is missing from the trove.

Got my vote for tiniest archetype ever.

I wonder if they were trying to keep it short enough they could tweet it.

Shaundakul has a green ghost hand that points the way and cast spells. Sometimes he'll protect the faithful in battle with walls of wind that block off enemy attacks. If things are really dire, he might warp you into a wraithform so you can fly to safety. And if you piss him off, he'll just put a wind wall in front of you and block the way.

Lliira will surround people in a bunch of dancing lights and soft music which either casts spells directly on them or places the ability to cast spells in their mind. You don't have to be a spellcaster or have any of the components or knowledge of spellcasting to use this, it's just, "You can cast Fireball once and only once now."

Mask manifests a hand that chokes people.

Selune sends not-really-will-o-wisps around to guide people at night, and they occasionally drip a silvery liquid which can be used for healing potions and shit.

Helm will animate suits of armor and other guardians, heal fighters, empower magical wards, and force ethereal, invisible, or otherwise out-of-phase creatures into a state where they can be beaten to fucking death by normal swords and warriors. Anyone who can be construed as a "guardian" or "defender" for miles around also wakes up and becomes instantly alert, with no trace of sleepiness, nausea, or weakness, and ends all charm spells.

Sune appears as a scented breeze and makes everyone nearby happier and more in tune with the pleasurable scents, tastes, and feelings of whatever is going on. She'll also surround people she likes or who are doing important things for her in a glowing pink light that heals them at the end of some task, and she occasionally hands out a drink that acts like a +Cha buff and love potion to her priests (but is poisonous to anyone else).

Is there any way to make Eldritch Knight Archer worthwhile or should I just stick with the generic "tank with magic defenses"?

I somewhat want to remake my first 5e character, who was an Eldritch Knight since they seemed like a good "generalist" that ended up as an archer by coincidence.

Such lazy niggers. They didn't even put a properly functional table of contents into that.

Why wouldn't it work? What's your definition of work?

You're still going to use your magic for defense and mobility regardless of your preferred weapon type.

In many mythologies, oaths have their own magical power. It's fair game and it does a good job of reducing classes that are dependent on NPCs to function.

Okay guys here's my fixes for 5e.

Cleric
>Make into a Cha class, to show how they convince the gods to give them powers and destroy their foes
Monk
>Remove all archetypes except Wot4E, base ki saves off of Cha
Psion
>Base all disciplines on Cha
Ranger
>Remove from game entirely, must be druid/fighter multiclass
Rogue
>Make into a fighter subclass, rename to thief
Wizard
>Remove necromancer, diviner, and lore wizard

Buy one adamantine arrow, serrrated edges, everything to get +1 to +2 damage. Weapon bond to it.

Standard action fire, bonus action pull it to your hand, fire.

Get jump spell for getting into good spots, shield, and true strike. Level 3 spells are your fly. Level 4 is greater invisibility for advantage forever.

If you think of it as a reverse geas spell it makes perfect sense

what does this fix?

So the only wisdom class is Druid?

Sir, I like my paladins to be instruments of their god's will akin to crusaders. Not any joe schmoe who makes a promise and intends to keep it

They had to change it because everyone wants the power of the Paladin class but they can't be assed to actually play, you know, a fucking Paladin, especially of a given god.

We're two editions away from Bards just becoming sonomancers who make wubwub or static noises with their mouths and don't even bother with poetry, instruments, or anything that could be considered music by someone that isn't a mustachioed, kratom-huffing hipster dipshit rambling on about "dark ambient micronoise-house".
youtube.com/watch?v=DS8YSWpBCjs

Eat shit/10

so play that instead of telling us about it

Well it just seems like every time someone discusses EK they never even mention ranged combat, so I assumed that was because there was little point to it when you can pick up Firebolt and be passable at range.

Funny that you mention that, the original character had a homebrewed Greatbow that used Javelins for ammo, so I was looking for a Lightning Javelin to use for it. (That was before I understood that you could only call it back in hand once per turn, I was under the false impression that "bonus action" meant "free action")

Sure, they can still be that. Besides, not anybody who makes a promise has the purity of spirit and force of will to be a Paladin. A good comparison is how not every man-at-arms is a Fighter.

Yeah. Spellcasters almost exclusively cast spells using their force of will. It also fits because spellcasters naturally will gravitate to the upper echelons of society, and therefore would have high Charisma scores.

ray of frost to slow an enemy from getting into melee range with you

shocking grasp when a foe is in melee range to back off without taking an OoA

Mending so you never have to buy arrows again, you can fix all the broken ones you fired.

>Sorcerer

What did he mean by this?

>this is my opinion, it is entirely subjective, but you are nevertheless badwrong

>Well it just seems like every time someone discusses EK they never even mention ranged combat, so I assumed that was because there was little point to it when you can pick up Firebolt and be passable at range.

Back before the SCAG cantrips, it was somewhat accepted that archery was the best way to play an EK because you could use War Magic effectively with a bow and use magic to just avoid being in melee situations. Archery just doesn't attract as much attention because there's not a lot of archers in anime.

How do we fix gnomes?

Objection, fuckface.

Dwarves and Orcs were traditionally the most forceful people around with the strongest force of will, yet they had -2 Charisma. From this we can conclude that Charisma has nothing to do with magical bullshit, and is specifically how much people like you or how cute they think you are.

No one fucking likes Wizards. They're all assholes. They should have a Charisma penalty.

Keep fixing things that way and soon Paizo will call you offering a job

But their moderate/low wisdom scores means they do not have a strong mind, so enchantment spells are very common, and Druids are the only one who are able to counter such things.

Now with the fear of spell casters being magically turned, they are not put in places of power and treated fairly, as they are one failed wisdom save away from turning evil for 1 minute.

Bard, Wizard, Rogue and Ranger.
Deffinetly a healer which can be either a fast hands thief or cleric.
And don't forget monks for scouting ahead.

Add in Yuan-ti purebloods which are literally gnomes but better.

Oh, wait, Volo's already did that.

You sound like a faggot who is entirely too preoccupied with the way Forgotten Realms does things.

I agree, that's why Wizards still key off of Intelligence instead of Charisma.

Mechanically or fluffwise?
Make them a Goblinoid subspecies that adapted to civilization/split from Goblins because Garl decided "lmao itd be hilarious"?

The power then comes from not their person but their connection to something, dragon blood or twisted magic. Thy still aren't starting from scratch with no magic.

Do you recommend the ranger (revised) to go fully into ranger for the full 10-12 levels? I was considering rogue 6/ranger 6 to fulfill those two roles, DM is a-okay with it if I decide to go that route

Give them more stereotypes than just inventor.

Does anyone have any homebrewed stats for the Slayer form of Bhaal, that actually make it dangerous?

Eberron did that. I only remember FR and Dragonlance depicting them as 100% inventors.

FR needs to do it, then, because nobody plays in Eberron

UA is definetly good and most DMs will at least allow the Hunters conclave for multiclassing.

What i suggest is:

Hunter Ranger 6/Scout Rogue 6

I suggest going Sword and Board with a rapier and wearing medium armour.
As for skills...Well you get 6 (2 from Ranger, 1 from Rogue and 2 from scout for which you get free double proficiency and still have expertise for 2 more of your skills).

You could go read the Eberron manuals for inspiration to use for your characters or settings.

>Explain atheist paladins

Wall of Faithless

>Explain druids and rangers

Nature dieties like Mielikki and Malar

I don't want to read a manual for a setting that's fucking shit

???

Pre-extinction Dark Sun Gnomes.

Dwarves remain the industrious, inventive race that's good at engineering and blacksmithing and metalworking.

Halflings remain the annoyingly happy prankster-jackass race that your lelsorandum69penguin little sister always wants to play and/or the flavorless shortstack that is otherwise presented like the most boring of all humans because your munchkin player selected it solely for the stats and doesn't give a rat's ass about culture or background.

Gnomes are now the intensely studious, magically-inclined race that dabbles in transmutation and genetic fuckery rather than illusion. Instead of shitty mechanical inventions, they grow biological tools. Instead of harvesting rare plants to make some alchemical concoction, they breed slug-braclets that secrete a variety of useful biochemicals. They all have a secret Nazi streak that makes them think maybe it'd be better if they just made a nerve agent that kills everything on the planet except Gnomes. Their dreams are a fevered mixture of David Cronenberg, Guillermo del Toro, Ken Ishikawa, and H.R. Geiger. They are responsible for the creation of goblinoids; one of their past bioengineering experiments went awry and turned Gnomes into shitty Goblins, rather than the physically superior form they were hoping for, but they continued breeding them as a slave race and experimenting with making more powerful forms (Hobgobs, Bugbears) because they are devious little fucks, but a slave rebellion ended that and all the Gnomes got owned.

You:
>I want non-inventor gnomes.
Also you:
>I won't read this book that has non-inventor gnomes.

FR Forest Gnomes have a non-inventor depiction. They're literally just David the Gnome-gnomes. They walked out of a Disney movie, wear mushroom caps for hats, and talk to birds and chipmunks all day.

Except that's not how it works