How will we handle the mass exodus of Yugioh players to MTG following the latest rule change?

How will we handle the mass exodus of Yugioh players to MTG following the latest rule change?

What happened?

Wew will this replace DEF on every card?
DEF always kind of sucked as a mechanic

The Zones Pointed at by Link Markers Can be Used to Bring Out Extra Deck Monsters
Although Extra Deck Monsters can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone Normally, if you have a Link Monster in the Extra Monster Zone, the Zones pointed at by their Link Markers can be used to Summon Extra Deck Monsters! So if you get out a Link Summon quickly, you can bring out Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monsters in succession. Of course, you can Summon another Link Monster in one of these Zones, so if you play your cards right, you can fill your entire Main Monster Zone with Extra Deck Monsters! The new metagame will require careful consideration of where to place monsters!

google any part of the post above for the full source

can someone who can read moonrunes translate so that we plebs can actually know what's going on?

Probably the most all-encompassing change to the ruleset since the game's beginnings. There are retailers threatening to stop stocking the game less than a day after the reveal.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains Rule Changes

The first change, which will seem relatively minor once we're done here, is the ABOLISHMENT OF PENDULUM ZONES. Instead, Pendulum Monsters can be activated in the left- and right-most Spell and Trap Zones, with them being treated as Pendulum Zones only when a Pendulum Monster (as a spell) is in them.
There are two new zones on the playfield, the EXTRA ZONES. There are two on the board situated between each player's 2nd and 4th Monster Zone, and are initally not owned by either player. The first player to summon a monster from the Extra Deck (that's Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or something new we'll get to) places it in one of these Zones, and the other then belongs to their opponent. With an exception we'll get to, YOU CAN ONLY SPECIAL SUMMON EXTRA DECK MONSTERS IN THESE EXTRA ZONES, meaning each player (initally) can only play one such monster at a time.
The fourth Extra Deck monster I alluded to is the LINK MONSTER, a dark blue card with no level or defense, instead having a Link Number. (Because they have no defense stat, they cannot be in defense position, or face-down.) They are summoned by tributing a number of monsters that fit a condition listed on the card equal to their Link Number, with another Link Monster counting for an amount of monsters equal to its Link Number. They are also the aforementioned exception to the limitation on Extra Deck summoning. Pictured above is Decode Talker, a Link Monster. Notice the arrows around the card picture. SPACES POINTED TO BY THE LIT ARROWS CAN BE FILLED WITH EXTRA DECK MONSTERS. This is a double-edged sword, notice the arrow pointing towards the opponent. Yes, this means positioning matters again.

Forgot the most important part

The Newly Created Extra Monster Zone
>You can only use one of them!

You can only summon ONE fusion/sychro/xyz monster, in ONE specific new zone that is your sixth monster zone. The only way to do more extra deck summoning is to send monsters to the graveyard to summon a "link" monster, and that lets you summon extra deck monsters to other spaces, but only spaces that the link monster is pointing at. A link monster has 1-8 arrows and they point to different directions.

Basically every archetype that relied on multiple fusions/etc is dead and some monsters that have existed for years can't be summoned anymore without buying new cards. Shooting quasar dragon and stuff is not possible to summon the "normal" way anymore.

TL;DR: They errata'd every single fusion-like monster so they don't work anymore. Buy new cards, or don't play the game.

this, I only played this game when it was first in North America, slowly drifting away from it once fusions were becoming common. I have no fucking clue what is happening at all

the actual new rules
>Extra deck monster cards(Fusion, synchro, xyz, and Link)can only be summoned (from the extra deck) to the new extra monster zone, or a linked main monster zone.
>Pendulum zones are now combined with the two outer Spell and trap zones, and are only treated as pendulum zone when a pendulum card is in that zone
>Synchro, xyz, fusion, monsters summoned by the effect of another card like monster reborn, or Cattle Call are played in the main monster zone like always.
>face up pendulum monsters in the extra deck can be summoned like always as well

they essentially nerfed every thing since the GX era

Technically even GX-era decks like Heroes, Cyber Dragons and Gladiator Beasts are also partially nerfed by the new rules changes.

Technically nerfs aren't the problem; it's that even in casual play, over a decades' worth of decks no longer even function under the new rules. It'd be like if MTG suddenly ruled that you could only tap a certain number of lands per turn.

its really not that complicated when you don't try to explain the new monster type at the same time

just like pendulum wasn't that complicated when someone who knew what they were talking about explained it

GX era decks and older barely even know this is a thing since they were lucky to get more than one extra deck summon at a time and could just sac and revive like always

What in the hell...

But why...

So every player is forced to shell out $200 on new Links monsters to be able to play their decks.

I'm quitting this garbage game.

see

>tfw never got into Yu-Gi-Oh because I thought the anime was stupid
>tfw the Yu-Gi-Oh club at my college is gonna have a shitfest
This is why I never played with you Wesley

all Ritual decks will be virtually un changed

There are currently 0 viable ritual decks.

not anymore

Sound great, a good fuck you to all the faggot's who've been hoarding rank 4's. And finally no one will wipe about pendulums since they're basically trash

Most gx era decks focused on a single OP fusion at a time.

Well, at least Exodia is still playable right guys?

Hey Yugioh, what's up? We haven't chatted for a while. How is life in the big three treating you? I figured we could take a minute to catch u...

OH MY GOD what happened? Oh no, not like this. Did konami do this to you? You don't deserve this.

How can anyone play this game is beyond me, l'd say it's the webshit but the artwork is terrible.

Ritual mons should be included in the extra deck, always should have.

Anyone who has ever played a card that wasn't one of the 4 base yellow/orange/green/pink is a degenerate and doesn't truely care about the game.

>Fusions replace Effect Monsters
>Synchros replace Fusions
>XYZs replace Synchros
>Pendulums replace XYZs
>Links replace Pendulums

Those last two things and that first thing didn't happen at all.

And fusions replacing synchros is sort of iffy when few used Fusions in the first place.

So let me see if I understand this after not playing YGO for a few years.

Extra monsters such as Synchro/XYZ/Fusion can only be summoned into one new slot, which kills off decks that rely on summoning these cards?

And you can use the new Link monsters to add more summon slots for a limited form of replicating these decks as they used to be?

>implying the YGO audience won't be moving to Vanguard instead

Yugioh has an 'extra deck' (read: second hand) of 15 monster cards.
You can only play those cards in special ways, but always have them "in hand".
Also, those cards are really really strong.

The rule change is:
Instead of having 5 monsters, you get 6 monsters but only one can be from your extra deck.
There's also a new card type that lets you spend a monster slot to convert a DIFFERENT monster slot into another slot for extra deck monsters.

No idea how pendulum work, but they used to have their own zone.
Now, you need to spend a spell or trap slot on them.

I just read all this bullshit and I have no idea what is going on

Vanguard is underrated desu

It should also never be played competitively

We call it Wangtard here at my LGS.

The YGO players are mostly just nerdy teenage asians and blacks.

The Vanguard players are the social outcast asians and whites. Any time there's more than 8 wangtard players at the LGS, nobody else wants to be there due to the heavy body odour, high-pitched screeching and yelling.

Fortunately YGO and Vanguard has been banned from my LGS because their fucking judges (or whatever you call their tournament organisers) got caught stealing.

People play Vangaurd?

Attempted YGO to MTG translation (I don't speak native YGO, go easy on me)

In YGO you get a second mini deck which has 15 creatures. You don't draw from it, it's like a second hand. These creatures all had to be played in some special way, not just hardcasted. The simplest one IIRC is combining two monsters, sort of like Brisela and that one giant eldrazi town thing. These creatures tended to be OP as fuck.

The new rule says that both players may only ever have a combined total of two of these creatures on the field at the same time, unless they play a a new special kind of creature that lets you play more special creatures.

TL;DR: Cheating Emrakul, Blightsteel Colossus, Platinum Angel, Ali from Cairo, and Elesh Norn at the same time on turn 1 is no longer possible.

Yes,

Basically every deck that relied on the extra deck is merged, also all competitive players must pay a link tax or else quit altogether.

*murdered

>2018-1
>using an extra deck
It's like you nerds want to lose

Not always. The creatures are strong relative to low mana creatures, but comparable to high mana creatures.

It's having a tough time in the US due to cultural differences and shitty tournament management, but it's very much still being played in the US.

I really enjoy the gameplay of vanguard. Yea, triggers could have been implemented in a more elegant and less sacky fashion, but vanguard does a lot of things right compared to other card games.

* next to zero resource screw
* Next to zero bricking
* 30 or so supported deck types
* Fairly tame when it comes to broken-ness

I think that vanguard just has a presentation problem. Most players spend ten seconds reading the rules, go "lol trigger RNG." and then dismiss it. Then they go back to their own pet games that have much worse kinds of random screwing, but those things are accepted like the weather.

Vanguard has a shit, generic art style thats boring to look at and screams at everyone who sees you playing it "this guy masturbates to hentai"

This is a fucking massive rule change, holy fuck. Honestly it's good that they're slowing the game down though, currently if you're not about to win on turn 2 then it's over anyway.
I will say this though - instead of completely revamping the core rules and making many hundreds of cards that have existed for years completely unviable without the new link support, why not just make a new game?

tbf when I see guys playing any collectable card game I assume they masturbate to hentai

Imagine it like this.

A new smaller deck of cards is released. It's 15 cards big, and there are new creatures and new ways of summoning them.

All of the creatures rest in this deck. The deck cannot be drawn from and creatures can only be brought out from it via special conditions.

For the strongest one, you have to cast a new type of spell. There are some generic ones, some for different mana types and some for specific monsters. One might read "Send 2 creatures from you field or hand to the graveyard to summon X". Another might read "Exile creatures from your graveyard or field to summon X", or "If you have 10 or less life and your opponent controls a creature, send creatures from your library to the graveyard as materials to summon X."

These creatures are all-around strong monsters. The very strongest require specific (named) creatures, some might require something simple like "One Goblin and One Red Creature", or perhaps "One Legendary Creature and One Creature". For the weakest, it might even be "Two black creatures."

Next, there's a new keyword on certain creatures. If one of your creatures has that keyword, you can send it and another creature you control to the graveyard to bring forth another creature from this "extra" deck. Fewer decks can run this, but eventually staple goodstuff creatures with that keyword are printed, ensuring many decks can run it.

Finally, there's a creature that requires two creatures of the same mana cost, and instead of tapping to use abilities, it removes one of those creatures as material.

Everyone gets used to these new methods. Some run decks based around a specific one, others go for decks that run all of them at once, others don't really use them but can go into them for utility, and some decks get bonuses if their opponent has such creatures.

For a time, everything is fine.

Then they tell everyone aside from the last two groups to suck their dick, eat shit, new mechanics now, that old shit you bought is worthless.

savage

I love this change. I usually never summoned more than one extra deck monster at a time anyway. Also I'm excited for card prices to tank.

Vanguard at my FLGS (and sort of my region) has a serious problem with how the players carry themselves.

I'm no chad, but card games are a social thing, and playing sleeves with massive anime tiddies on them is not attractive to people considering the game.

Hopefully the expensive Nekroz tank...I've been wanting to collect them so bad. Got them all except for Valk, Brionac, and Sophia(who's cheap as dick).

At my FLGS, the Vanguard players are all very well kept, sociable and friendly. Easily got the most welcoming community.

Eeeeexcept for the massive anime tiddies sleeves, which get so explicit I wonder if they count against obscenity laws.

The artwork is hit or miss. With over two-dozen clans and different styles, you have a super wide range of quality. I personally enjoy the cards that are goofy or have JRPG boss look to them.

My vanguard locals USED to be really nice, but some drama involving the largest LGS in the area hit every TCG community hard, and vanguard was collateral damage.

aren't vanguard cards like triple the thickness of regular CCG cards? Do they have special ultra wide sleeves?

They fit in yugioh-size sleeves.

Vanguard stock is really thick and sturdy. This makes them not very flexible, so you have to mash shuffle. It also makes them durable. I've had yugioh cards in a sleeve get creases over time just from the air resistance of placing them on the table from hand multiple times.

I going to assume that the players that don't quit outright are gonna split the game in two: pre-link and post-link. That seems pretty fair, even if Konami stop supporting pre-link it'd keep the core players relatively happy with their own banlist and stuff.

All you guys are welcome to Vanguard. Just don't play weeb clans and behave like an autist and everyone will have a good time.

gotcha, that's what I remember when I bought a booster box cause I was interested. It's kinda neat that the cards feel so weighty but it feels wrong that you can't bridge shuffle them

Vanguard is such a dead fucking game at my LGS that they put it in the corner of the shop alongside the deckboxes, dice, and sleeves

Actually I think Glad Beasts are untouched cause they can always Tag their fusions out. The good ones anyway.
But
RIP DDDs
RIP HEROs
RIP Ghostricks (The new monsters can't be facedown)
RIP Any combo deck in recent memory.
Who else is REALLY looking forward to more formats of unchallenged Kozmos?

RIP synchrons
RIP blackwings
RIP sabers

>but user, those decks aren't metagame.

Yea, but at least the rules of the game never retconned them out of existence before.

Sabers being ruined hurts my heart the most, user.
I still have my secret Emmers and ultimate Dark Souls from waaaay back then.
Right after Rescue Cat was getting an errata too.

>tfw Ritual Beasts, Yang Zings, Lightsworns were my favorite Archetypes.

At least I still have U.A., and Gishkis...

I will never ever do this for economic reasons but holy shit did it ever make me consider it.
I'm almost ok with it in a way because of how it prevents swarming.

We need a moment of silence for Madolche and Evilswarm.
Evilswarm may make one monster and sit on it but these new rules make that one monster useless.
At least in the current format they could catch the odd Blue-Eyes, DDD, and Triple Omega bullshit player off guard.

I'm pretty jazzed about this actually, this has 0 effect on most of my decks. The only one that it even remotely effects negatively is my Skull Servant deck.

Now it'll be "if you're not set up to link summon on turn 2 then it's game over"

Hold up. Now, I may be looking too deep into something that isn't there, but consider the following:

Pendulum Monsters are sent to the top of the extra deck when they would be sent from the field to the graveyard. They can be brought back into the Main Monster Zones via Pendulum Summoning. This is how they've always worked. Now, only Extra Deck Monsters can be summoned into the Extra Monster Zones. Because Pendulum Monsters reside in the Extra Deck after destruction, are they then treated as Extra Deck Monsters? If so, can we Pendulum Summon Pendulum Monsters into the Extra Monster Zone?

Has Konami just accidentally made it so we can Pendulum Summon six Monsters at once?

Only if the other five are in your hand.

Hi :^)

>5 monsters in my hand
QUICK
SOMEONE CALL MONKEYBOARD, TURTLE AND LIZARDRAW
THEY'VE GOT SHIT TO DO

>We can only Pendulum Summon Extra Deck Pendulum Monsters into Extra Monster Zones and linked Monster Zones

RIP Amorphages.
They weren't even that good to begin with. This is just mean.

Pendulum Link Monsters when?

>why not just make a new game?
Easer to make money off an already existing franchise.

This post gives me a realization.
Since the format will be slower, (at least until the absolutely busted shit they release in the second pack) imagine how salty your opponent will be when you Greydle away their Link monster and use it to summon your own Extra deck shit.

After all these years...

ABC/VW/XYZ are dead (not that they ever mattered.

This is making me want to play Yu-Gi-Oh again. OTK wars will not be missed.

>even more generic requirements than Xyz
Evil Thorn Simi-limit when?

So if my monster's Link Marker points to a Main Monster Zone in my opponent's side of the field, can they Extra Deck Summon to that zone? If so, that's actually a pretty smart way to balance them.

>Konami makes Pendulum Link Monsters
>Link Markers still work, even from the Pendulum Zone

Konami. I'll suck you to completion and refuse to buy Kojima's new game if you make D/D Pendulum Link monsters like this.

>Be card pictured
>With tear filled eyes you gaze to the heavens.
>"Finally."
>"Its my time to shine."

I really like that they're finally making it so the location of cards is important beyond capping how many cards players can play. This is what Pendulum Monsters should have been.

Gotta love the secondary market.

Purple fusions were in the game since day 1 man

And people who played them were degenerate

>What are Cyber Angels?

People always dissing and forgetting the rituals.

TOPKEK

it's time to finally bring out those decks that don't need the extra deck, or ones that don't heavily rely on them.

Good thing they are the only fancy Monsters that went unnerfed with these changed. Maybe they'll finally see some usage again.

Am I the only one who is actually more interested in how this will work out, solely because I'm tired of seeing XYZ staples everywhere and I really like boss monster type decks?

I play XX-Sabers, can I do anything with this?

>Core Chimail (like Chimera Core Chainmail) gets turned to Koa'ki Meiru

FUCK YOU KONAMI OF AMERICA I HATE YOU SO FUCKING GODDAMN MUCH YOU MIDRIFF CENSORING BOOB SHRINKING FAGLORDS

What happens if you steal their Link creature? Would it invalidate the extra deck creature and remove it from the field or something?

it can potentially help summoning hyunlei even more safer

yeah, it probably has potential, though it still needs new cards

Soo, you can only control one extra deck monster and are forced to buy link monster now?

>I really like boss monster type decks
>That's a nice boss monster you got there.

To be fair, you're just replacing one boss monster with another (technically)
It's just not the one I had in mind