/swg/ - Savage Worlds General

Birth of a General Edition

Are there enough Savage Worlds players on Veeky Forums to warrant a general? Let's find out. Any suggestions and links to be used for future editions of the general would be greatly appreciated. Let's make it happen.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!mo9nibSC!YIhv5nyoPb2dmY6-scZLgg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have a question. I'm kind of new to the system and the shaken status kind of confuses me. It says that being Shaken from mental afflictions is tracked differently from physical in the case of damage. So can someone be double shaken and have to spend two actions snapping out of it? or am I interpreting this wrong?

You're interpreting it wrong. Normally, if someone is Shaken then suffers another Shaken result, they suffer a wound and remain Shaken. Mental effects are only different in that they can't cause a wound.

So, basically think of it like this:
*Dude is Shaken from an Intimidation action, then gets punched in the face for a Shaken result. He is wounded and still Shaken.
*Dude is punched in the face for a Shaken result, then someone Intimidates him while his bell is rung. He is just still Shaken, but not wounded.

Does that help at all?

there is still only one shaken condition. a shaken character who is shaken again receives a wound, but only if the source of the newest shaken condition results from a damage source.

shaken + shaken via taunt = still just shaken
shaken + shaken via bullet = wound

to further complicate matters, in the second instance, there are two options:

spend a benny to unshake immediately before the second shaken condition takes effect, which guarantees you'll only be shaken (and not wounded)

or

spend a benny to attempt to soak the wound with a vigor roll.

That's a perfect clarification. Thanks bud.

Anyone got some good links for the books? I'm looking into the system.

I think the second or third link in the pdf share thread opening pdf has all the books.

So what are people's experiences having characters that aren't combat focused at all in Savage Worlds? I know you have Tricks you can do with Smarts and stuff but I'm curious how a character who is neither good in combat or has any special powers is interesting enough to play? Like say, an investigator in a Call of Cthluhu game.

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if a character with NO combat experience is viable, but one with the bare minimum could work. using stealth, tricks and diplomacy to avoid fighting all together, but it would only fit in certain games.

Even with no combat stuff, you could use Test of Will and improvised actions.

Anyone have the fantasy companion pdf?

mega.nz/#F!mo9nibSC!YIhv5nyoPb2dmY6-scZLgg
This link has some of the books

I'm currently GMing a super powered game. It's the first savage worlds campaign that I've run. Any tips on keeping the game dangerous with a large table of players?

It really depends on the game and if the GM has enough for you to do. Call of Cthulhu should be alright. After all, never discount the usefulness of a getaway driver or the guy who knows what is going on.

Tactics, Terrain, and Minions are your friend here. It doesn't matter how badass the monster or boss looks on paper, you will have that one lucky bastard in your group take it down in one shot.

I bought It really cheap almost a year ago in an store of used books, I found It really good for a short campgain, but my group have been just playing 5e, any idea how to sell It to my group?, Any ideas for a One shot?.

The thread's General tag should be /svg/, so we're not competing with Star Wars General.

Also we need someone to put all the books on the PDF Share Thread in a MEGA and link that, as well as the online initiative trackers and various tools relevant to the game.

Half the job of making a General work is creating a consistent OP with resources and guides to draw on. If you build the platform, everything else falls into place.

Try again on the abbreviation. /swg/ has been Star Wars General since before The Force Awakens.

Yeah I thought about that. Any suggestions?

>/svg
Sounds good.

Basic fantasy adventure that introduces a bunch of stuff including mass combat.

The back of the rulebook also has a handful of one-shots.

Also highly HIGHLY recommend reading through this to better grasp trappings for spells.

Most of the included examples are super D&Dish making it a lot easier to ease a D&D group into the game imo

How fluid is the combat? Is the Shaken meme annoying whatsoever?

I generally recommend that anyone playing in Savage Worlds have at least a d4 in Fighting unless it's super important for their concept not to, since d4 Fighting means "has ever been in a fight at all, even one you lost."

Having played a couple of non-combat SW characters, support is a pretty good option in the game. Tricks, tests of will, and non-magical healing are all viable options, as is being a skill monkey.

Combat has a great ebb and flow. Shaken only becomes a problem if your players are D&D murderhobo assholes who all decide that Spirit is a dump stat and roleplaying your Hindrances is for pussies. Getting out of Shaken is pretty simple, especially with the new Shaken rules, and it creates a very cinematic experience where a character can get his bell rung but come surging back into the fight. Shaken is one of those rules that looks annoying in theory but is fine in actual play.

I plan on running a little one-shot with my friend to test the system out. Any recommendations or advice for a first time player?

What are the new Shaken rules?

A simple success removes Shaken and lets you act normally. There's no benefit to a raise. They wanted to simplify Shaken, but I generally prefer the old way.

I've been considering checking it out. Haven't gotten any of the books to browse through yet.

Relatively new to the system and TTRPGs in general. Still kind of unclear as to how combat works.

In the event that I make a fighting test to hit an enemy with a parry of 8 and a toughness of 8, how would you decide how much damage is done to the target?

/swg/ is already Star Wars General. Could you maybe rename this to reduce confusion? Maybe just /sw/?

Damage isn't handled as a numerical amount of HP in this system. Here's how your example breaks down

Fighting roll of 8 -> Parry 8 = this counts as a hit, roll damage

Damage roll of X -> Toughness 8 = Compare the damage rolled vs the target toughness. If it meets it, the target is Shaken. If the target is Shaken already, then they continue to be shaken, plus they gain a Wound.

Raises amplify the effect of hitting, much like most other things they apply to. A raise on Fighting adds +1d6 to the Damage roll. A raise on damage means that the target is Shaken and gets a Wound, or two Wounds if they are already Shaken.

Hopefully this helps.

>D&D murderhobo assholes who all decide that Spirit is a dump stat

Closest D&D analogue is Wisdom / Will Save, no one dumped that

You don't inflict an extra Wound just because the target was already Shaken, though. It would still be only one Wound unless you scored multiple raises.

Anyone got a link to pirates of the spanish main?

nevermind

Anyone happen to have the Savage Thunderscape PDF?

Ah this is where the combat math gets a little wonky. When a target is shaken and hit with a raise the target only takes a single wound. In order to cause extra wounds you have hit higher raise amounts.

Shaken hit for 8, toughness of 8 =1 wound
Shaken hit for 13, toughness of 8= 1 wound
Shaken hit for 16, toughness of 8= 2 wounds
shaken hit for 20 toughness of 8= 3 wounds
and so on and so forth.
www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=303987

It's rules like this where Savage Worlds could do much better in clarity and description. I love the system but its full of things like this.

why does getting 1 raise still do the same amount of wound(s) as a success?

It's stop damaging from stacking too quickly on wild cards.

we intend to.

Damage*
That will teach me for being a filthy phone poster

I'm currently running the Necessary Evil plot point campaign. I like the setting, but I'm finding the plot points a little too bare bones for quick play. It would be nice if they at least included maps for locations and encounters, and maybe some extra development for the bigger players in universe. Are there any plot point campaigns that are a little less sparse?

I don't mind doing some work but this feels like I'm doing as much work as I would be writing my own campaign. I like the flexibility but hate the idea of having to do a couple hours of prep work for a published campaign.

Thanks you user, this looks great

I'm confused about the multi-action penalty. Is the -2 only applied to actions after the first or to ALL actions the book makes it seem like the -2 is even applied to the first action which seems weird to me.

If you take more than one action, you take -2 per extra action, applied to all actions in the round. So one action at no penalty, two actions and both are at -2, three actions and all are at -4, and so on. You also can't repeat actions unless you have an Edge or other ability that lets you do so.

That seems strange to me. why would you take a penalty to your first action before you've done your second? So if I wanted to taunt and then attack both would suffer the -2?

Because splitting your attention to do multiple things in one round distracts you from being good at any of them. You're essentially hurrying your first action to get to your second.