Can a Lawful Good character abide cannibalism? What about taking part in it?

Can a Lawful Good character abide cannibalism? What about taking part in it?

Some cultures practice it as a form of ancestor worship. Sometimes it's necessary for survival. If it's being done to honour the dead, or because there's simply no alternative, it's acceptable if his god allows it. If it's being done for pleasure, worship of dark gods, etc., it's obviously not.

>not consuming the ashes and ground bones of your loved ones in a funerary gruel

Do you even respect your ancestors?

Depends on the context, but yes. Imagine a culture where eating the dead is the greatest sign of respect you can show.

I suspect this will devolve into another "Is necromancy evil" thread.

According the morality of D&D which alignments are based upon and which is objective within D&D, cannibalism is evil.

Therefore, cannibalism is objectively evil in terms of alignments, which fall under D&D's morality that is objective within its own system.

>it's okay if one culture somewhere does it
D&D has objective good and evil. Either cannibalism is good or it is not. Cultural relativism can fuck right off.

They can be totally misguide. Reminds me of the time our BBEG was a Paladin
> Be fairly high levelled party, seeking MacGuffin Keystones to awaken some ancient prophecy
> These keystones were empowered by the God of Douchebags (he was also the creator of the universe, since he tricked the actual boss of the pantheon into making humanity with his essence) who had been sealed away for so long people had forgotten him
> These keystones were also the key to his release. Knowing the horrible truth, we had to stop it.
> Discover one keystone has already been claimed by a would-be adventurer who was now making a name for himself.
> These keystones basically turned people into an Exalt if used incorrectly.
This is where "The Paladin" comes in
> Walk into town where this adventurer has supposedly set up shop
> Walking down the street, we see a man in armor literally made from kettles and scrap, but painted white, dragging a guy beaten half to death down a street
> Walks up to two guards, and demands to know why this foreman was beating his workers in the factory, and he wants to speak to the owner
> Guards draw their swords, he draws a hunting knife and guts them in two blows.
> Drags still dead guy into the mansion. Our rogue follows, because none of us are messing with that until we can null his keystone
> According to our rogue, the 'paladin' walked up to the boss in the middle of the meeting and declared "YOUR FOREMAN HAS BEEN BEATING YOUR INDENTURED WORKERS! DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS?"
> The factory owner naturally, knows everything about this and is dumb enough to say yes, and calls the guards
> Paladin declares he's a slave driver, slavery is illegal! Cuts the throat of the foreman he dragged here, beats up the boss, and drags the boss out while his children watch in horror
> Strings up the factory owner in the town square, and burns down the factory
> Declares he's off to slay another windmill
> Cue mass starvation and poverty for those workers.

Killing sentient things for the sole purpose of eating them is pretty much murder.

I assume if it's life or death, consuming a body that's already dead is considered acceptable. Though I imagine you have to do a fair amount of repenting when you're safe and out of danger.

for a traditional DnD paladin I would say according to his LG dogma he does not engage in cannibalism but would only actively fight people who partake in it as a sign of disrespect for their enemies. If he encountered a tribe that consumed their dead as a rite of ancestor worship he would disagree but have no reason to try and stop them.

Well we still need to question why it's evil. It could be that it's evil because people view it as disrespectful.

>I suspect this will devolve into another "Is necromancy evil" thread.

An "Is necromancy evil" thread devolved into this, actually

oh god your GM made the literally lawful dumb paladin the BBEG, thats hilarious.

It's objectively evil within D&D because it is declared to be evil by the books. It has a section in the Book of Vile Darkness, for crying out loud.

So no. As long as we're talking about alignment, which is an objective manner of measuring morality within the system of D&D, cannibalism is objectively evil.

He wasn't even a paladin. He was a commoner with powers given to him by the god of douchebags.
I think it was a subtle jab at our group because we were all good-aligned but very anti-authoritarian, so it was quite uncomfortable when we had to fight this guy a few times, explaining that a successful feudal society sometimes requires people in a position of economic stability while others work hand to mouth because that allows fairer distribution of resources and opportunity to develop a merchant class-
In any case, it was quite a good fight, I almost regret having to kill him in the end.

In D&D at least, there's an overarching unwritten understanding among all races that eating the flesh of an intelligent creature is an evil act. Some just do it anyway.
However in the case of a survival situation with no other options, I could see someone LG condoning it IF they had consent of the person they're eating before they died.
A paladin specifically might still run the risk of falling depending on your DM, but most likely in this scenario the paladin would be the one offering himself up to save the hungry.

> 3.5
Grandpa, it's time to let go.

But what if we're not talking about D&D?

Cannibalism is only acceptable in live or die situations and only then if you're eating the already dead.

This is probably the best metric. Cannibalism of the already dead is desperation. Killing with the intent of cannibalism is evil.

You are talking about D&D though.

You're talking about Lawful Good, which is an alignment, which is based on the morality of D&D that is objective within D&D.

Cannibalism is objectively an Evil action within the morality of D&D, therefore a character that is Good according to D&D's alignment system cannot abide cannibalism.

I think people have started to use the alignment chart for things beyond simply D&D, but I dunno.

In that case, 1 + 1 = 3.

I've started to use addition for things beyond simply mathematics, therefore I no longer need to heed how addition should function according to mathematics.

What if they just eat what ambushes them.

Go take a breather, spergbrother.

Because everyone plays dnd and only dnd.

He's not wrong. Alignment is a big D&D thing, and the only systems that use it anymore are either D&D itself or derivatives. SO sating "it's not le D&D" in an alignment thread is rather fucking stupid on your part.

>but if it applies to one thing it must apply to everything

Words from one thing can change to be used for something else.
Addition is still addition when you add apples or oranges.

But user, D&D is made up, so it's subject to the whims of society.
Math on the other hand, is different.

But I'll concede the point. It's just that I see alignment in contexts outside of D&D all the time.