Would a game book be considered Veeky Forums? I mean, it has rpg elements so I would suppose that it would count

Would a game book be considered Veeky Forums? I mean, it has rpg elements so I would suppose that it would count.

Ive played the first 2 books from the Lone Wolf saga by Joe Dever, and Ive really enjoyed my time with the books
Do you have a favorite? What kind of combat system did it use?

Also, has anyone ever written their own game book? Ive been interested in writing one and making a combat system to go with it, but I wanted to see a few more examples before I get started in charting the mechanics of it all.

pic related, its the first book from Lone Wolf

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG
pastebin.com/F8teW7rr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i love the lone wolf series. i lost books 4 and 5 moving and haven't replaced them yet. sucks.

>you are very hungry and must now eat a meal or lose 3 endurance points

Im beyond jealous that you even owned them. I only just recently jumped on the train and had been playing them on the project aon webiste, but nothing really compares to having the physical books. Ive considered printing out the pdfs but that would be just so much paper.

Now i want to dust them off and give them another read it's been a long time. I was able to pick up the main series over a couple of years between the goodwill and local used bookstores.

I'd like to get some of the d&d cyoa books. i remember checking out some d&d cyoa from the library years ago and loving it, but could never remember which book it was. it was about as complex as lone wolf with a kind of character sheet and i think a 2d6 system of some kind. it wasn't from the endless adventure series.

That sounds pretty interesting, I had heard of a dnd style game book, but assumed it ran on an old edition of the game, complex rules and all.

I wish my local stores had that kind of thing. Even being in a bigger town in the south, those kind of niche books kind of slide through the cracks. Granted I haven't checked in a while...

>Would a game book be considered Veeky Forums?

Fuck yeah, they're Veeky Forums related. They're a type of solo RPG, and pretty awesome. I really liked Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series.

There are some gamebooks in here, along with various other solo things:
mediafire.com/folder/1ecybp6dp8rix/SoloTG

And some links compiled by the same guy:
pastebin.com/F8teW7rr

>I had heard of a dnd style game book, but assumed it ran on an old edition of the game, comple

TSR's solo modules were mostly written for Basic D&D, the edition designed for kids to learn. The needlessly complex rules were in Advanced D&D.

the d&d endless adventure books are really simple, basic choose your own adventure style, without any kind of character system or anything. they're also really short, maybe half the size of a lone wolf or less. i think they go for about five bucks apiece on ebay though, i've never found the excuse to buy a bunch of them.

of the Lone wolf series, from the ones i can remember i think book 5 is probably my favorite, the one in the desert setting. one of my favorite things about the earlier books was Gary Chalk's artwork. (he also did work for the heroquest board game)

Thanks a bunch for the links, user! There is quite a bit of content in those links and I'll be looking forward to checking into all of it! I've seen the app-ified versions of the Sorcery! series on the app store and the art style and presentation of the thing looked very good, I've thought many times of picking it up, so it's good to get an affirmation of it!

I see, because I like dnd and all, but if im sinking that kind of time into learning a system I feel like it needs to be in a group setting. I like books to be a kind of almost rules light for ease of action and return to narrative. Glad to hear its "kid friendly" in terms of rules bulk!

Damn, I forgot about those. I red the whole serie multiple times when I was young.

I never got the "Random Number Table" thing.

Why not just use a d10?

The artwork integrated into the books really made it stand out. I remember a part in the first one where you stop at an inn and sense something evil and the book presents a picture of the people at your table and basically says, "good luck, pick the guy you think is the traitor and deal with it before it deals with you," and I remember thinking how cool that was, like a more ambiguous version of that thing L.A. noire was doing.

I think it says in one of the appendices that you could use a d10, but if you didnt want to roll something around it gave you the number chart. I like the number chart, but I found myself cheating with it quite a bit on first runs haha

>use a d10

They weren't that ubiquitous in the 80s.

>tfw you played Basic D&D but had to make do with a bunch of d6s 'cause your DM's older brother wouldn't let him use the good dice

I remember that! That was really creative. In highschool pottery class i made a sculpture of the wizard you meet at the ruins in the first book, and some asshole stole it out of the kiln room.

Well, all the numbers seem to appear exactly 10 times each in the table, so it's exactly the same as using a d10 in terms of probability.

Just so y'alls know, Lone Wolf is playable on Android (Lone Wolf Saga is the app name) and PC (Seventh Sense is a standalone program with some nifty houserules, Project Aon has all the books and a diceroller/statkeeper)!

If there's some interest, I can also post the (old) Lone Wolf tabletop game books.

Man, that sounds like the absolute pits! As a consolation maybe the dude that stole it got into the series because of your sculpture! It mustve been good if someone stole it.

He seemed like a cool character especially since he was surrounded by dead giaks when you find him, I had hoped he would join the party!
I think Joe would go on to write a series based around not that character but his order of wizards, I think it was called greystar? Maybe im confusing that with the one about the apprentice kai lord. I havent gotten that far yet, but I read something to that effect on the project aon website.

close, i had to look it up but his name was Banedon of the Order of the Crystal Star. I think he gave you a pendant or something in the first book.

I remember what made me start the sculpture was just messing around looking through the different pressing tools available and there was one that had a star, and another with a moon and i was reminded of the wizard so i used those to decorate the robe.

Maybe i'll re-sculpt it, i believe i have some modelling clay sitting around.

Banedon is a pretty cool dude, eh pals around with dwarfs and has his own airship and doesn't afraid

Man, these were the shit in the '80s.

Lone Wolf players made fun of the Choose Your Own Adventure readers. Zork readers were somewhere in between.

Fighting Fantasy are definitely RPG's. They were written by Steve Jackson and contain a roleplaying system that can be used without the books to run tabletop adventures.