/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Modal edition!

To make cards download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
or register for free here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Alright, let's get this one rolling.

Kinda proud of the Exploit variant on the left.

Hi, I'm pretty new to creating cards, so I decided to make some based on characters my group's Dungeon World campaign. I can't get the power/toughness block to display properly, though, so can someone help me fix it?

Seems bland. What's the flavor?

I also like the Exploit one. Though I'd prefer if it just drained one opponent instead of everyone, and had you gain 3 life. Though I'd make it gold to avoid draining someone with mono-White, doesn't seem very in-color to me. Well, actually, now that I think of it, requiring the proper colors is a bit restrictive. Maybe just make it monocolor and include an in-color bonus for Exploiting a creature of the same color?

Oh, and I am still working on The Authority cards. I posted new versions of Doctor and Midnighter last thread. Former is a Reweave variant on a stick, latter has Prowess and ignores damage from creatures with lower power. Do you have any suggestions for them or any of the others?

Is it only me that likes to fix/spice up existing cards with new artwork?

Here is one that h have made for my "Fight Club" deck.

No.

Nope.

These all seem good to me, just make sure to get feedback from others. Oh, and I think I'd make the UR one an uncommon, as it's basically a downgraded Glimmer of Genius, an uncommon 3U.

Triumph at common is going to make limited an absolute fuckfest. It shouldn't be anything short of rare.
Springrite's fine. Veil is as said before more of an uncommon.

Life drain on a monowhite is badwrong but given that you'd have to sac a black creature. Eh, I personally don't think it'd jive.
Exorcist works.

For a custom Horde deck I'm making. If you want, feel free to pretend it has a casting cost of whatever you feel is fair.

Horde is like that Defeat the Hydra game, right? Where the deck plays itself?

Yea pretty much.

Ew, gross. Just make it a variant of Phyrexian Rebirth. That, or give the tokens a set P/T.

"Destroy all artifacts. For each artifact destroyed this way, that artifact deals 1 damage to target creature or player chosen at random."
Intent is for each artifact to choose its own random target. Does this wording work as intended, and if not how do I change it?

Yeah, I think that works. Though I'd remove targetting altogether.

Doesn't work as intended, because you have to declare targets before you have a chance to destroy anything. So you're asking for information (i.e. how many artifacts destroyed this way) before you actually have it.

Just "a random creature or player" should work better, though.

How is the middle one Red at all?

This is a very strange charm, but I like it.

Red gets to fiddle with targets. See Shunt and Ricochet Trap.

There's a difference between doing one general thing then doing a subset of that thing. Like, Black can tutor for any card, but it would be weird for it to tutor for just an Aura. Or how Blue and Red get noncreature spell triggers, but not Aura spell triggers.

Well currently no color can do that one subset of things (retarget Auras), so why not red?

Really REALLY narrow utility on those abilities. As a charm I think it's fine, but the 3rd ability is absurdly narrow.

Because aura fuckery is U or W in all other aspects, so it makes no sense to give just one bit to R.

Here's a preliminar draft of the first of the mythics in my Artifacts block, built bottom-up with existing mechanics, a couple new, and Kaladesh flavor:

>Quantic Lotus (5)
>Legendary Artifact (MR)
>Improvise.
>(t), Sacrifice Quantic Lotus: add (3) mana of any colour to your mana pool.
>Whenever Quantic Lotus leaves the battlefield draw a card.

How is it?, too OP?, What whithout the card draw?

Eh, should it have something else? Moon user, thoughts?

Well, I wasn't thinking of that before, but yeah, what said, Aura trickery is more a WU thing, and I think of that, more U.

If you have enough artifacts, it's a colorless ritual that cantrips. Cantripping rituals are scary as hell.
On the other hand, it requires setup to get value off of.

It'll either be broken as hell or jank, with basically no middle ground. And which it is will depend on the other cards in the set.

Well, for the other cards its mostly artifacts and mechanics that deal with them. Concretely:

>Improvise
>Living Weapon (with 0/0 Servo tokens)
>Energy (lots of artifacts with it, close to the description of Mirrodin w/ Energy Maro gives)
>Metalcraft
>Imprint
>Fabricate
>Proliferate
>Modular
>Artifact Gods (Wedge Gods to complement Amonkhet's)
>Vehicles & Assemble (New keyword, Bestow for vehicles, makes them equipment and attaches them to a creature)
>Hybrid mana artifacts

So yeah, very heavy artifact focus. Even the cards that aren't artifacts will be designed to play well with them. For example:

>Master of the Foundry (W)(W)
>Creature – Dwarf Artificer (R)
>Imprint: When Master of the foundry enters the battlefield, exile target artifact from the battlefield or your graveyard.
>(U/R)(U/R): Make a copy of the imprinted card, you may cast the copy from exile until the end of turn.
>2/2

Too cheap and too niche.

Too powerful at that price.

Another examples on which ways the mechanics are going to mix up:

>Arcbound Legion (2)(W/G)(W/G)
>Artifact Creature (U)
>Fabricate 3
>Modular 1
>0/0

Should be an enchantment flavor-wise.

Strikes me as a tad cheap, given the overall flexibility of the card and how it compares to Terminate.

The design also makes it feel way more busted than it actually is, because there is some expectation that needles would kill both pinned creatures.

Rolled 8, 9, 3, 1, 2 = 23 (5d10)

I want to design some cards, but I don't want to do more CO stuff right now and I feel shitty for just reposting a card over and over again, so I'm putting this up. Rolling for everything but theme.

Rolled 3, 6, 3, 9, 10 = 31 (5d10)

>Multicolor (GW), land, removal/burn, CMC 1, common
Oh, I feel sick. Hopefully the next one isn't as painful.

>Black, creature, removal/burn, CMC 6+, mythic
So, big Demon? I think I can do that. How'd I do?

Rolled 4, 9, 10, 3, 6 = 32 (5d10)

Forgot to roll.

I think you could just do:

>If you control an artifact, you may destroy target artifact. Repeat this process for creatures, enchantments, and planeswalkers.

You should at least give your random cards proper names and art.

Doesn't work because of when you're supposed to choose targets.

>Red, land, mana advantage, CMC 2, uncommon
Ugh, another land. Bleh.

>proper names
I'm not very creative.

>and art
Pic related. Seriously, finding good art that actually works on a Magic card is fucking hard.

Have you not heard of Google for some reason?

I was actually going through all of them, but really, the reasonings I have are basically just three things.

The first is that the art doesn't fit. A lot of these use a portrait orientation when Magic cards use a landscape orientation, especially when the focus is just on one object, like a character or creature. Honestly, there's a lot of art I've wanted to use that just doesn't fit.

Second, the art doesn't work for what the card is. There are quite a few examples here that I don't think get across the idea of a Demon well enough, like the three shirtless elf-looking guys, for example. Others I don't think can work as a creature period, like the one where the woman's going to be sacrificed. Might make cool art for Dark Ritual, but not so much a Demon.

Third, well, art is subjective, and I'll admit, a lot of this stuff I just don't like all that much. These are just randomized cards I'm doing as quickly as possible, I have no obligation to use art for them, so I don't. And if I did, I'd hate using art I wasn't happy with and keep looking for more, which is something I do for the CO cards.

>Those tabs

Rolled 7, 2, 7, 2, 7 = 25 (5d10)

Rolling for Color, Type, Mechanic, CMC, and Rarity to start.

>black, instant, tax/control, cmc2, uncommon
I came up with this concept but I think it might be too pushed. I really like the notion of it though. Also considered doing a version that requires a discard per creature as a tax to attack.

Both abilities are at odds with each other. Lifelink wants creatures to attack into you, but ghost prison prevents them from doing so.

Rolled 3, 10, 9, 4, 6 = 32 (5d10)

Yes and no. Well, from my point of view anyway. The idea is "attacking is a really bad idea don't do it" where both methods by which the attack is being prevented are both black, and able to be played around. If you have fliers and the player casting this does not, then you don't care as much. That kind of thing. I realize that certain interactions like this aren't everyone's cuppa, so I won't fault you not really liking it as a concept.

Usually stuff that slaps PWs like this is rare, isn't it? I mean, this is just a slightly worse Grasp of Darkness that has a utility mode that's rather narrow all things considered. It's a neat idea though.

Rolling again.

>black, Planeswalker, token generation, cmc3
Rarity roll was kinda pointless when you hit Planeswalker. I decided not to do hardmode. I got this really weird idea to give it two ults instead of a middling ability. It's probably a bad idea.

Does this need blue? I don't feel like it does. It's cool though.

Huh. I feel like the name-joke really doesn't do anything for me here. Card seems fine, though I feel like maybe you want nontoken in the buyback cost.

Decent riff on those Commander auras that prevented things from attacking you and buffed them.

Is this meant to be "until end of turn" or permanent? The ability gain I mean.

The first ability is so marginal (and not even that black) that she's never going to live long enough to minus.

Liliana of the Dark Realms says that specifically playing with Swamps is black as long as it's just Swamps. But it's true she can't defend herself.

Dark Realms tutors for a Swamp, because black tutors for things. She doesn't ramp it onto the battlefield.

Can't you just chain-control every creature on the battlefield with this?

Two ults is a horrible idea. It's hard enough to just get one off

Is this bending the color pie too much?

I mentioned the idea of this card to someone and he said that taking control of permanents isn't RW. While I agree with that, I argued that it's fine if you aren't really "removing" the creature, but instead getting the creature after it's no longer a threat on the board. Similar to how Grenzo can "steal" permanents.

Thoughts? Good card or bad card?

Well, the biggest thing is that the last ability doesn't work. The ability prevents the creatures from dying, so they're still on the battlefield when you try to put them onto the battlefield under your control. And taking control of creatures after death is super Black, I have absolutely no idea why you thought this was in-color for RW.

As for Grenzo, apples and oranges. Black can take creature cards from opponents' hands, graveyards, and libraries, but it almost never takes them from the battlefield like Blue does, outside of pie-bending cards like Enslave.

Also, if you want FStrike and Provoke on the same line but only have reminder text for Provoke, use a semicolon instead of a comma. And only capitalize the word "first" here.

Page 10 bump.

Rolled 6, 7, 6, 10, 2 = 31 (5d10)

pls work

On top of what the other user said, it's really easy to choose which creature you want killed because of provoke, and relatively risk free because of first strike.

Rolled 1, 9, 9, 6, 5, 3 = 33 (6d10)

This is harder than I thought.

An interesting idea, but perhaps overly expensive. You also need to install the Beleren font.

Rolled 7, 3, 8, 7, 5, 9 = 39 (6d10)

You're right. That looks a lot better.

>populate at instant speed by cracking a fetch
sweet, I guess?

That was the plan. Think it's modern staple tier?

I don't know, seems pretty strong with voice of resurgence.

I too have questions.

this is straight up broken in edh

Your post is two words too long.

BR punishing attacking creatures seems odd. I know Red can do it sometimes, but it still is a little unusual.

Also, damage needs a source on the second ability.

I really have to question the use of RW here. Making a monocolor card with an off-color ability is fine, but why two different off-color abilities that need different colors? Especially when they're functionally the same. And I just don't like how it has Lifelink.

This basically reads "Destroy target creature" for 1W, since if you have no creatures, and it doesn't target, the greatest power is 0, so it destroys anything, if reading the rulings for cards with similar wording is any indication.

It did give me an idea for my own card though.