RIP

In this thread we post and mourn dead games we will forever miss.

Other urls found in this thread:

tak-games.com.au/dragon-ball-super-card-game-products/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This thing. The game was fun in and of itself, but the miniatures were amazing, utterly surreal and bizarre designs, a really atypical aesthetic for that kind of game. Which is probably part of why it failed, more the pity.

DragonBall z card games in all their iterations

I swear I watched this every morning as a kid, but I remember nothing about it.

I still miss the Spycraft CCG in all its fucked up glory.

Al Malik still best nobles.

One of the things I remember is it actually had a well written rich kid character. But that's about it until the eldritch horror plot hit in the second season. I remember that shit pretty well.

This right here. Much like Dreamblade, it was 2edgy4soccermoms, so it died out.

The collation in the packs was terrible because thin plastic, the cards were a bitch to store. But it was amazing. Stitching together abominations to bring about the end times in a 4 player free for all? Yes please.

Shame there's no way to really make proxies.

Magic set editor has an addition for this.

Warhammer 40k. Died at the end of 5th edition, and never coming back.

RIP The Spoils. Support for the game ended the beginning of the year.

It had the best Boys vs. Girls episode of any cartoon ever.

Also, I would like to nominate pic related. Played it a few times as a kid, lives on as 40k terrain now.

Gotta agree with this.
While it was pretty standard throughout the twist saved the whole thing from being cringe shit.

Damn, a million times this. HeroScape was absolutely awesome.

Also pic related. It was great. Fast-paced wargame with light rules, I still play it occasionally over Tabletop Simulator with my friends.

It could'a been a contender, but alas.
Heroscape remains my introduction to designing homebrews. Me and my friends kept finding weird toys and making bases for them, and then printing out blank stat cards and making our own. My personal favorite was the War Megatherium we made with tinfoil and a well sculpted Megatherium toy from the natural history museum.

Plus those dice were really fun.

Pretty much a pokemon-like world where you need to scan things to use them. Because all the things you scan are sentient the MC did favors (to get a mech he had to use its creator, some garbage nerd thing) or had to not die in the process.

It had pretty good politics too.
For a kids show anyway.
Only the eldritch horrors were really pure evil. And even then I think there was one in season 3 that wasn't a fan of what his race did.
Espeically the underworld guy and his 'Kazzie'.
As for the game itself, I think it was pretty great and was just ahead of its time. If the online thing came out today with people's smart phones and shit I'd bet money on it working out for them.

OH MY FUCKING GOD THANK YOU!

for weeks iv been trying to remember the name of the game that was in that commercial and its been driving me nuts, I always remember the guy unwrapping the chocolate bar and the end. thank you now I can stop going crazy.

but now im sad that I cant really play it, because I sort of want to after thinking about it so much...

>tfw I still have all the tiles from the master set, plus some boosters, but all the minis have disappeared over the years.

Heroscape was what got me and my brother into tabletop in the first place.

I'll miss weeb magic. It always felt degenerate and broken, but it was fun.

Technically it's still alive, but my locals is dead.

Wasn't it close to going big?

People say it was like number 4 on the most popular lists for a time, but nips don't give a rat's ass about us here and last I remember they straight up have one guy running the entire english scene from translations to advertising.

I was pretty close to giving it a try, shame it's dying.

Duel Masters...

Damn, that's a little disappointing. Haven't played much Spoils, but I always wanted to get into it more. I love the artwork and the setting, and the resource management is definitely a step above other card games.

I guess it had a good run, and maybe it's for the best it died with some heart rather than radically changing itself to stay relevant. I'm suspicious that one of the main reasons it never quite got as popular as it deserved was because of how it billed itself as "mature". I've seen several reviews and videos of people complaining that "putting girls on resource cards is too sexist", and the chick they had doing the Spotlight video blogs was one of the cringiest "gamer gurrrls" they could find.

Yeah, I heard recently that the Panini version got cancelled. I hope that means there's a DBS game coming out but I'm not holding my breath.

I wanted CthulhuTech to be good so bad, but they ended up using literally the worst system possible (like they literally could have just used BRP like other CoC games and it would have been alright) combined with skubtastic fluff and fap-bait Nazzadi.

I think I still have my Anti-Warbeast Danian deck lying around in a shoebox somewhere

The rules of this dangerously sound like the TCG I always wanted to write.
Why the fuck did I only now hear of this? It existed for 10 years and had no promotion whatsoever.

>ctrl+f "at-43"
>0 results

life is suffering

Incredible. And I thought that no one on the cared for the spoils at all

Posting my two fav's.

Such a damn shame they went for the stupid booster system

Rest in pepperoni.

fuck off I liked the minis

Chaor is the guy I think you're talking about. For a card games show, it was actually pretty good, I liked it more than all the other stuff that was on. I think the entire series is available to watch on Youtube for free?

This shit right here. 13 different factions 14 if you count Universal, all with their own abilities, unique resource management, the concept of Magi stacks so that way you weren't completely out if you got swarmed one turn, a story format like L5R where big tournaments could affect the course of the story and future expansions, the fucking ART... I could go on and on.

Why it died
>Very little advertising outside of comics
>Packs were low print-run compared to Magic, so cards were a little more expensive and rarer (at least in upstate NY)
>The piles and piles of errata, especially for Orothe relic abuse decks
>Trying to do fucking everything (TCG, Video Game, Magazines, and the worst of it all was going for the insipid cartoon) with a shoestring budget at the best of times

Seriously, the company all but collapsed down to IIRC literally 1-2 people in the search to make the fucking cartoon. It's really sad.

Battleforge.
Yet some people try to revive him...
KAZING !!

I really preferred the WotC TCG. Course, that's ALSO dead....

Is that related to the Magi Nation tv show, or was that something else?

Doomtown reloaded (until recently, so I don't think it qualifies anymore)

I liked the original version better

user they axed it so the cardass version could come over here.tak-games.com.au/dragon-ball-super-card-game-products/ only worry is its by bandai

i didnet like the wotc one that much, its still going with fan sets

Could have been the premium light skirmish game but WotC lives to self-sabotage.

Dungeons and Dragons Attack wing.
and fuck Wizkids.

Is it out yet? I haven't seen it locally

Wait, is that already dead? Frak. I still have some of my stuff. I planned to use it to get some minis too, that sucks.

Right with you man, wish it'd come back.
Nar was amazing.

More like silenced.

At least with the DoD box I'll have something to play with. Also isn't the first time they die so they are likely to come back some day

Rule of Cool's Legend. Of all the fantasy heartbreakers, it came the closest to succeeding but the 1-2 punch of a lack of focus on being able to DM real-time games and the release of the D&DNext playtest were pretty much it.

no i dont think its out yet, i have no idea what the release date is

Was gonna post this if nobody else did. It was fun as hell but they fell to the death of a thousand cuts by constantly rebranding (as your img name implies) as well as really awful balance and poor tournament structure and rules. Also the minis were hard to build and broke easily but they fixed it later on

I think it had a lot of potential desu but mishandling screwed it. It's still one of my favorites.

I think I had over 200 ships and then another purely Spanish fleet of 70 ships

Despite its popularity in Asia, it managed to die twice internationally which is sort of impressive in its own way

I always remember watching the show as a kid but never got into the TCG,

Are there any good starter decks me and my brother can buy to play against each other to figure out what we missed on?

I'll keep an eye out for it then, thanks.
It totally snuck by me

Yeah, you should be able to find them around on ebay or somewhere.
There are 7 decks that I know of. But I'd stick to two of the four that came out at the same time. The ones with m'arrillian invasion in their name somewhere. They are based on one of four tribes: Danian (insect creatures focused on group efforts), Mepedians (lizard creatures that have invisiblity effects and tame super strong beasts of war), Underworlders (creatures who use brute force and burn damage), and Overworlders (who use mugic and have healing abilities)
Its complicated as shit but that's what I loved about it.

Though you can always play it on Trade Cards Online using one of the fan created starter decks on there (where he posts a link to the rules) instead since there isn't anyone to support since the game is dead.

haha it did for me too, good luck user hope you enjoy it!

So frustrating that a game with such good mechanics could never get off the ground long enough to make money

I don't know much about the game but how exactly were those mechanics? Looking it from distance looks like the game was another magic clone

>Is that related to the Magi Nation tv show, or was that something else?
yyyyyyyyeah, kinda. The long and short of it is, the cartoon was supposed to tie in to the card game, which tied into the video game, which tied into..

Thing is, it took so long to find an animation studio and producer that everything else just withered and died. I mean, the last set of the card game to be released came out in November '02, the show premiered in September '07 (in the states, anyway). Almost 5 years of radio silence on the TCG front (and really, ANY front from the company) kinda kills off any sort of tie-ins the original plan was going to have.

Even then, Cookie Jar Entertainment (the minds behind such wildly popular shows as Gerald McBoing-Boing, Potatoes and Dragons, and The Babaloos) was going to try and relaunch the card game anyway, because there were (and are) still diehard fans of the game. However, the TV show was the typical monster-of-the-week schlock, with little to tie into the old franchise outside of the names of people and places. Combine that with shitty timeslots (6:30 am at points), and you get a show that was cancelled before the end of season 2.

I came here to look for this. Thank you user.

I just bought a pack of sleeves with an advertisement for the game on the back. Sad to see that it died, but there isn't really a market for it I guess.

>ctrl+f "at-43"
>One guy actually mentioned it
Rad, rad aesthetic. Confrontation at least is coming back to life. Maybe at-43 will come back some day.

ive never heard of it, what is it and were can i buy?

You can't buy AT-43 anymore, it is dead along with all of the other games mentioned in this thread. Maybe you can get lucky and find something on Ebay and such.

If you mean Confrontation then they haven't resurrected it yet, though you can buy the older figures from Cadwallon Miniatures.

The MLP TCG

when did this die?
i knew it was dead but i had never heard of it before. is at 43 hard to find then?

Your reminder that in the Chaotic universe, the cardgame players are physically transformed into their chosen monster so they can duke it out in the "Battle Drome". Imagine you're transformed into whatever Magic creature you just played.

Of course this is relevant because it means cross-gender shenanigans constantly where the guys turn into female monsters and girls turn into male ones.

There's a reason everyone wants to have Intress here in their collection.

Well, fuck, i actually liked that one a lot when i was younger. Always wanted to run a game on the setting back then, thought it was pretty cool. Did they cancel the show?

Yeah.
They canceled it shortly before the game died.
They had planned for 7 seasons but only got halfway through season 3.

Damn, that's a shame, always thought it had a lot o potential. The last thing i remember from it was when the protagonist was accused of cheating or something like that.

I still have my copy of the paperback rulebook.

Yeah he got accused of cheating as a ploy with the admins to gain the trust of a bunch of players who scan locations and items before destroying them so they can sell the scans at ultra high prices

I still own a shit load of cards for this. Source material aside, the structure of the game itself was so good. Never seen anything like it since. Why do the companies with good ideas have the shittiest business successes?

Damn I remember this.
Because the world isn't fair.

The best fix from magic was the complete removal of all land cards. Instead, you can choose to play any card from your hand face down, which turned it into a land with which to purchase and play other cards.

Fuck Hearthstone!

i willnever not be mad at hearthstone. there was no reason to axe this and replace it with a shitty version of its self. fuck you blizzard.

Therians are by far the coolest wargame faction ever!

It truly isn't. I wonder how much of the game that Bandai owns. Given its own form, the gameplay itself could make for something spectacular if they were to sell the rights to the mechanics. Ohh well, likely it will rot in obscurity instead.

For real? Shame. Now I've seen a bit about the game and I can see they tried their best and yet that wasn't enough.

I had to go through my stuff and figure out what I really missed that hasn't been mentioned.

I loved one of the old Digmon games (pic related). They made a new Digimon game a few years back (based off the Digmon Fusion stuff) but I couldn't really get into it.

>another magic clone
People keep saying this as if it was a bad thing. I'd gladly welcome a stable, living Magic-like game with good art and interesting lore, because to this fucking day Magic is the most elegantly designed and, most importantly, ADAPTABLE game in the market with a few easily fixable glaring flaws.

The actual game mechanics for that are just fucking terrible, though it took my little bro ordering a starter set off of Amazon to find out exactly how bad.

In defense of the statement.
the thing with "clones" is that often people think a clone is something that pretty much does the same as the former game without adding much or doing very little to change the nature of the game.

This was fun, seems completely forgotten now.

VOR: The Maelstrom.

Damn you FASA for closing!

I kinda want to play Anachronism
Was it fun?

Sorry forgot image.

>no one posting Puppet Wars

It's not a TT game, but by god I'm sad.

Pff. You guys act like the someone came into your house and burned your cards/minis/books in front of you. You can still play all of these games! Just because it's discontinued and completely unavailable for purchase unless you buy secondhand doesn't -mean- anything.

t. you probably already know who

Who /mipedian/ here?

My lizard