/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Roman On Roman Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/file/itc22n7bt8rbxjt/Osprey - ELI 155 - Roman Battle Tactics 109 BC-AD 313.pdf
mediafire.com/file/z7i79pmud326kzd/Osprey - MAA 374 - Roman Military Clothing (1) 100 BC - AD 200.pdf
mediafire.com/file/7y3pmu5hbcrm1d1/Osprey - WAR 072 - Imperial Roman Legionary 161-284.pdf
tinytanks3mm.blogspot.co.nz
mega.nz/#!rgkR3L7L!o_4eStESEdinzZ5Qn6NhwVnjGTLvHDG7r-BcWr4MVYo
mega.nz/#!eltAnZYR!CSdcedzi5MRP0Gnj7NTtibuXYRC53Omj2SGhzXRKUWw
mega.nz/#F!r9dxwA5S!bKjePzZxre9NNIZlFpfpRg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

19th February in military history:

197 – Emperor Septimius Severus defeats usurper Clodius Albinus in the Battle of Lugdunum, the bloodiest battle between Roman armies.
1649 – The Second Battle of Guararapes takes place, effectively ending Dutch colonization efforts in Brazil.
1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, and it is renamed New York.
1915 – World War I: The first naval attack on the Dardanelles begins when a strong Anglo-French task force bombards Ottoman artillery along the coast of Gallipoli.
1942 – World War II: Nearly 250 Japanese warplanes attack the northern Australian city of Darwin killing 243 people.
1943 – World War II: Battle of Kasserine Pass in Tunisia begins.
1945 – World War II: Battle of Iwo Jima: About 30,000 United States Marines land on the island of Iwo Jima.
1978 – Egyptian forces raid Larnaca International Airport in an attempt to intervene in a hijacking, without authorisation from the Republic of Cyprus authorities. The Cypriot National Guard and Police forces kill 15 Egyptian commandos and destroy the Egyptian C-130 transport plane in open combat.

It is 1820 years since the Battle of Lugdunum, also called the Battle of Lyon, fought at Lugdunum (modern Lyon, France), between the armies of the Roman Emperor Septimius Severus and of the Roman usurper Clodius Albinus. Severus' victory finally established him as the sole emperor of the Roman Empire. This battle is said to be the largest, most hard fought and bloodiest of all clashes between Roman forces. The historian Cassius Dio places the number involved as 300,000, or 150,000 on either side of the battle. This figure has been disputed, as this is approximately three-quarters of the total number of soldiers present throughout the Roman Empire at that time. However, it is widely accepted that the total number of soldiers and support personnel involved exceeded 100,000, and could well have come close to half the 300,000 figure Dio gives.

After the murder of Emperor Pertinax (193), a struggle had begun for the succession to the throne, the so-called Year of the Five Emperors. The new self-proclaimed Emperor in Rome, Didius Julianus, had to face the commander of the Pannonian legions, Septimius Severus. Before moving on Rome, Severus made an alliance with the powerful commander of the legions in Britannia, Clodius Albinus, recognizing him as Caesar. After eliminating Didius (193) and then defeating the governor of Syria, Pescennius Niger (194), Severus launched a successful campaign in the East in 195. Severus then tried to legitimize his power, connecting himself with Marcus Aurelius, and raising his own son to the rank of Caesar. This last act broke Severus' alliance with Albinus, who was declared a public enemy by the Senate. In 196, after being hailed as emperor by his troops, Clodius Albinus took 40,000 men in three legions from Britannia to Gaul. After gathering up additional forces, he set up headquarters at Lugdunum. He was joined there by Lucius Novius Rufus, the governor of Hispania Tarraconensis, and by the Legio VII Gemina under his command.

Severus, however, had the powerful Danubian and German legions on his side. To try to minimise this advantage and possibly win their support, Albinus struck first against the German forces under Virius Lupus. He defeated them, but not decisively enough to challenge their allegiance to Severus. Albinus then considered invading Italy, but Severus had prepared for this by reinforcing the garrisons of the Alpine passes. Not wishing to risk the losses or the delay that forcing the passes would cause, Albinus was deterred. In the winter of 196–197, Severus gathered his forces along the Danube and marched into Gaul, where, much to his surprise, he found that Albinus' forces were about the same strength as his own. The two armies first clashed at Tinurtium (Tournus), where Severus had the better day but was unable to obtain the decisive victory he needed.

Albinus' army fell back to Lugdunum; Severus followed, and on 19 February 197, the massive and ultimately decisive battle finally commenced. The exact details are as vague as the exact numbers involved. However, we do know both sides were roughly evenly matched and it was therefore a bloody and drawn-out affair lasting over two days (it was rare for battles of this time to last longer than a few hours). The tide shifted many times during the course of the battle, with the outcome hanging in the balance. It seems Severus had the edge in cavalry, which swung the battle in his favour for the final time. Exhausted and bloodied, Albinus' army was crushed.

The exact cause of Albinus' death is unclear. He fled into Lugdunum where he either, in the Roman tradition, "ran upon his sword" after finding all escape routes cut, or he was finished off by an assassin's blade. Severus had Albinus' body stripped and beheaded. He rode over the headless corpse with his horse in front of his victorious troops. The head he sent back to Rome as a warning along with the heads of Albinus' family.

In Lugdunum itself, Septimius remodeled the Imperial cult sanctuary to celebrate his dominance and humiliate Albinus' provincial supporters. According to Duncan Fishwick, the reformed Imperial rites at Lugdunum resembled those due a master from his slaves. At some point after this battle, the unified Roman province of Britain was broken up into Upper and Lower halves (Latin: Britannia Superior & Inferior). Roman forces in Britannia were also severely weakened, which would lead to incursions, uprisings, and a withdrawal of Rome from the Antonine Wall south to Hadrian's Wall. It was while quelling one of these uprisings that Severus himself would die near present-day York on 4 February 211, only weeks short of the 14th anniversary of his victory at Lugdunum.

Even allowing for the exaggerated numbers, this is easily one of the longest, biggest and bloodiest battles in Roman history. Moreover it was a fight of legionnaire versus legionnaire, with both sides evenly matched in prowess and operating in a similar tactical fashion. The Roman-era wargamer will find a lot to enjoy here. It would make an impressive sight on the tabletop, and the commanders of both sides have every opportunity to secure victory. The relative dearth of information on the battle allows for a certain amount of historical leeway, with the details of the battlefield (for example) being vague enough to allow for more creativity than better-recorded encounters.

mediafire.com/file/itc22n7bt8rbxjt/Osprey - ELI 155 - Roman Battle Tactics 109 BC-AD 313.pdf
mediafire.com/file/z7i79pmud326kzd/Osprey - MAA 374 - Roman Military Clothing (1) 100 BC - AD 200.pdf
mediafire.com/file/7y3pmu5hbcrm1d1/Osprey - WAR 072 - Imperial Roman Legionary 161-284.pdf

It is 39 years since Egyptian special forces raided Larnaca International Airport near Larnaca, Cyprus, in an attempt to intervene in a hijacking. Earlier, two assassins had killed prominent Egyptian newspaper editor Youssef Sebai and then rounded up as hostages several Arabs who were attending a convention in Nicosia. As Cypriot forces were trying to negotiate with the hostage-takers at the airport, Egyptian troops launched their own assault without authorization from the Cypriots. The unauthorized raid led to the Egyptians and the Cypriots exchanging gunfire, killing or injuring more than 20 of the Egyptian commandos. As a result, Egypt and Cyprus severed political ties for several years after the incident.

Egyptian President Sadat was aggrieved by the assassination of his personal friend Sebai and begged the Cypriot President Kyprianou to rescue the hostages and extradite the terrorists to Cairo. Kyprianou responded by promising to oversee the rescue operation and any negotiations personally, and travelled to the airport himself. According to the same report however, Sadat dispatched an elite antiterrorism unit (Task Force 777) to Cyprus aboard a C-130 Hercules transport aircraft. Cairo merely informed Kyprianou that "people are on the way to help rescue the hostages" and did not reveal who was on board nor what their intentions were. Upon landing in Cyprus, the Egyptian force immediately launched an all out assault, dispatching a single Jeep all-terrain vehicle with three men to race ahead of an estimated 58 troops (another report has this figure at 74) moving towards the hijacked aircraft on foot.

As the Egyptian troops advanced quickly towards the hijacked DC-8 aircraft and the Cypriot National Guard forces who surrounded it, the Cypriot forces reportedly issued a single verbal warning to halt and submit, though in other reports, the Cypriots issued two verbal warnings, the second a demand for the Egyptians to return to their aircraft.

As this occurred, the occupants of the Jeep and the Cypriot National Guardsmen exchanged gunfire, and the Egyptian Jeep was struck by a rocket propelled grenade, as well as gunfire, killing all three occupants. As the vehicle came to a halt, the Cypriots and the main Egyptian force confronted each other at a range of less than 300 metres (330 yd), and it is variously reported that the Egyptians, who lacked any form of cover, dropped down onto the tarmac in prone firing positions. At this moment, the two forces engaged each other with heavy gunfire, and the Cypriots opened fire on the Egyptian C-130H aircraft with a 106 mm anti-tank missile, striking it in the nose and killing all three crew on board.

With their aircraft destroyed, the Egyptian force and the Cypriot National Guard exchanged heavy gunfire for nearly an hour in sporadic fighting on the open tarmac. Some of the Egyptian troops took cover in a nearby empty Air France aircraft. Kyprianou, who was watching the events unfolding from the airport control tower, was forced to withdraw from the windows and take cover as Egyptian commandos struck the tower with automatic gunfire.

Of the Egyptian commandos, 15 were killed, in addition to three crew of the C-130H Hercules transport aircraft who were killed when it was struck by a missile. An estimated 15 more Egyptian commandos were reported to have been taken injured to Larnaca General Hospital with gunshot wounds. Following the assault, it emerged that the surrender of the two hostage-takers had already been secured at the time of the failed Egyptian attack, and the two men were taken prisoner by the Cypriots and later extradited to Egypt.

Egypt and Cyprus severed political ties for several years after the incident, until President Anwar Sadat was assassinated in 1981. President Kyprianou offered reconciliation and apologies but maintained that Cyprus could not have allowed the Egyptians to act.

Any thoughts on the next community project? Please post any nice minis you've produced from the last one!

Played a few games of Wings of Glory / Wings of War at the club today, was pretty fun, S.E.5a vs Aviatik. 1 Kill each which was nice considering it was my first time.

Pretty much finished Lacquered Coffins - PDF related, just have the Japanese and Italian stats to enter in, and playtest the missions a bit. Should have the Japanese stats done by tonight.

All 53 of my Russian aircraft are painted, and 2/3rds of the Lufwaffe are done too. My US and Japanese arrived too so I can play some midway-esque games later on, or perhaps the mission to take down admiral Yamamoto's Betty transport with P-38 lightnings...

Pretty impressive so far. Slightly sad that you don't have any 109s that aren't Emils, though.

Yeah I'm still up in the air about variants, it would be nice to keep things simple and just have 1 type, but there was a lot of improvement during the war, especially the 109.

The main improvements I found for the 109 was the high altitude performance (which doesn't really have an effect in-game) speed and power increases, which also wouldn't have any effect - the next speed "Very Fast" being reserved for jets and the Dornier do 335 - aircraft faster than 700 km/h, and the aircraft are either powerful or not, for simplicity sake (although a "gutless" property for low powered aircraft would be hilarious)

What would you like to see for the later 109s? the altered weapons loadout like the 30mm cannon? It would be easy enough to add in for the mid war list, problem is I would have to do variants for other aircraft that changed significantly over the war.... and that's a lot of them! The 109 is one that people tend to notice so probably worth adding in, even if its just a minor weapons change.

>Yeah I'm still up in the air
oh you

Yeah, mostly the different armaments. Mm, thinking on it, it might be a good idea to release this basic set now and release a supplement with lots of variant planes later.

haha oh shit I didn't even notice

good times

Hey guys, I have a Bolt Action rules question I wanted to clear with you all before I actually emailed Warlord.

How do Heavy Weapons affect infantry, to wound wise? If I hit someone with an AT rifle, with -2 pen, does that mean that hitting a Veteran would hurt him on a 3+?

Prior to this guy joining our league, we didn't play it this way; we figured that Veteran men shouldn't be dropping like flies to artillery fire, if they've been in the field long enough they'd know when to hit the dirt. I.e, a friend of mine who fought in Iraq said that, eventually, he learnt when mortar fire was coming his way, and his squad would disperse accordingly.

What do you think? I honestly can't find a rule passage that supports the pen value affecting the damage value of infantry.

Have a pic of one of our league games, thank you for reading!

>we figured that Veteran men shouldn't be dropping like flies to artillery fire, if they've been in the field long enough they'd know when to hit the dirt.
Well if you're okay with house rules then you can definitely play it this way.
>If I hit someone with an AT rifle, with -2 pen, does that mean that hitting a Veteran would hurt him on a 3+?
Yes.

Yee with the house rules, I figured when playing outside of the league we'd do it this way.

However, do you have a citation or a page in the rulebook I can look up for why it DOES affect the wound roll? I still can't find it.

In the shooting section 'Roll to damage' it says heavy weapons adds a modifier to the roll.
Heavy weapons are basically everything except rifles, SMG, assault rifles and light mortars. It's there in the weapons section.

Would anyone know of a Space Gamer archive/trove? Specifically issue #59?

My alzheimer's is effecting my google-fu.

I think it's affecting more than that user, were you perhaps looking for the PDF thread?

You're right. My apologies.

Old age is a horrible thing... :(

No harm in a free bump
Sorry I couldn't help with the request

>I honestly can't find a rule passage that supports the pen value affecting the damage value of infantry.
Infantry and vehicles use the same rules for armor and penetration - this is what I like the best compared to 40k where I couldn't remember the rules for vehicles' armour for the life of me.

>Please post any nice minis you've produced from the last one!

Wasn't NEA the only person who got the project done?

Nah, somebody had Magua from last of the Mohicans substantially done. I thought there was at least one other too.

Ooh. One of the patron saints of this thread has some posts up about doing 3mm stuff in 1:1.

tinytanks3mm.blogspot.co.nz

Looking forward to seeing these in action.

>tfw you will never be a patron saint of hwg
feels bad man

I finished reading the Bolt Action rulebook, and just placed an order for a set of Blitzkrieg Germans, I hope to make an Operation Barbarossa army. What would be a historically accurate set up for my platoon in terms of LMG's and squad sizes circa 1941- 1942?
What paints would work for the M40 field grey uniform? The box art depicts them as wearing what appear to be M36's, but I think the werhmacht had phased them out for the M40 uniform completely by 1941.

Maybe you could make it to some sort of lesser saint, like one of those ones people used to take a day off for before the industrial revolution hit because it amounted to having a weekend? The ones everyone forgets.

I bet if I actually got to play games again I could make that much at least.

>The ones everyone forgets
How would it be change compared to my current status?

Better everyone forgets than nobody knows.

Fading into obscurity after five minutes of fame is a horrible thing - look what it does to aging popstars.

Hey, baby steps, gotta work up to notoriety.

>tfw had a blog (sporadically updated admittedly) for years
>never been referenced here
f...fame is overrated anyway!

Blogging is over-rated. I've seen people posting way better feedback on this shithole than I've ever seen on a blog except for maybe Delta Vector and his game design articles which are fucking great.
If you're posting stuff on a forum as well, then a blog isn't needed because there's still a longer-term record of shit than here.

>hat would be a historically accurate set up for my platoon in terms of LMG's and squad sizes circa 1941- 1942?
Ten man squads, smg on NCO, 1 lmg, 1 loader(2 really but bolt action only requires one) and the rest rifles.
This is what I remember but can be wrong. What tank are you bringing?

I am under no illusion i will ever be able to put my collection of games back together again. There are titles that I would do alot to get back into my collect (Dont even ask what I would do for a copy of GunSlinger).

However it is nice when I manage to get my hands on a title that I did once have.

Managed to get this little gem for $6, which is what I think I paid for it originally back in the early 80s. Its not one of my favorite titles. But I did have fun playing it. Its not worth that much. But is like I managed to bring an old friend home. And that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And that doesnt happen to often anymore.

Whoever is in charge of the mediafire, the file entitled "Osprey - ELI 120 - Mounted Archers of the Steppe 600 BC - 1300 AD.pdf" has been taken down.

Blogs are especially shit for any kind of reference/tutorial kind of thing. Instead of a menu of different tutorials on terrain building or whatever, you get a project broken into a dozen different posts which if you're lucky the author linked to each other but more often then not didn't. Even worse is video posts where you get 10 minutes of rambling inanity to cover what could be covered in less than a paragraph of text.

>What tank are you bringing
I'm looking at a Panzer IV since it isn't too expensive.

>pre-dread naval combat
holy fucking shit want

Bummer. It's really rare for an actual history Osprey to get taken down; usually it was flagged years ago and only gets tripped off after a periodic search. The ELI about modern tank warfare in Europe is another example. Here's a Mega link if you were looking for it:
mega.nz/#!rgkR3L7L!o_4eStESEdinzZ5Qn6NhwVnjGTLvHDG7r-BcWr4MVYo

I gave a Mega folder of all the old Microgrames, here's Fire When Ready:
mega.nz/#!eltAnZYR!CSdcedzi5MRP0Gnj7NTtibuXYRC53Omj2SGhzXRKUWw

And the folder:
mega.nz/#F!r9dxwA5S!bKjePzZxre9NNIZlFpfpRg

>Here's a Mega link if you were looking for it:
Thanks for the link!

So Warlord put Test of Honor up for pre-order. Anyone grab it? I think I may wait until it hits Warstore or something(unless my LGS is gonna stock it).

Starter box is $50, each of the expansion boxes look like they'll be around $20 and the extra dice and cards set is like $15.

Didn't the Panzer IV start to reach German front lines in 1943 or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Quite a way off there, a quick check on wikipedia says they were in service form 1939

Fun fact, the first Pz. IV to enter production in 1936 only had 14mm of frontal armor.

well, you post here so you're more a member than an outsider hovering serenely above the crowd

post good shit, you might make it all the way to hwg pope

Ah, it was the G, H and J model that came in 1943 with the 'heavy anti-tank gun'.
If you wanna go historical then you should model it with one of the A, B, C, D, E or F variants.

The Pz IV D was in Poland albeit in rather small numbers, and it was designated as an infantry suport tank with a 75mm howitzer, while the Pz III was the designated tank hunter with a 37mm gun if I recall correctly.

Methinks you are thinking of the Panther - PzV!

>was originally ASL in 3mm user
>started ACW in 3mm
>started AWI skirmish in 28mm
>started modern iraq/syria in 3mm
>never completeled a fucking thing

im a failure and I should die

It's another generic Samurai skirmish game.

Why even bother, I have three already.

Nah, the wargames factory stuff looks like ass to me, still have no clue why warlord bothered to buy them up.

>to me
Well yeah, exactly. Others might like it.

Their Marlburian figures are quite good I think. The rest not so much.

they aren't the worst, I suspect its the digital design, the minis are technically great but lacking in character.

Nah you just need to finish something.

>the minis are technically great but lacking in character.
Yes, it's the digital design. I haven't seen a 3d made miniature I really liked. They are all a bit sterile.

I find that as well. I am turning into an old man, liking things the way they used to be.

But I am sure sculptors will get the hang of digital design eventually.

cant, too retarded

Try and make 1 project ''playable'' with enough stuff finished. The rest will follow in due course.

What I think demotivates too is having too much on your plate. Hide away everything you don't plan on working on.

This. Pick one project, put everything else away where it can't stare you down like "Hey user, why haven't you painted me yet? Am I not good enough for you user? Did I not try hard enough for you? I gave you the best years of my life user!"

Playing games motivates me enormously.

I always wish I had that extra unit of spearmen or cavalry..

What a find! We wore the "tits off the queen" playing that and a few others like Ogre, GEV, Warp War, etc. on deployment. Maps tore along the folds, counters got lost/damaged, rule books copied. I remember playing GEV once on a couple of xeroxed sheets for a map with plastic folder tabs as counters.

Perfect size for shipboard, perfect game lengths too.

Tinytanks is back, and pretty busy! Yay. I like the article on 3mm-friendly games, we have a few of them in our troves.

I saw the discussion about the Wargames Factory Germans last thread.
I couldn't post for a couple of days because Veeky Forums blocked my IP-range for whatever reasons (again), but i did this pic to show off their true value (at least for me): As base for kitbashing with warlord plastic parts.

As was pointed out, the heads are very plain, so i rather not use them if i can avoid it. Warlords heads are not everyones cup of tea, but they are way easier to paint.

The majority of the bodies is fine. Sure, the grenades in their belts are flat, but barely visible anyway once they have arms with a rifle.
There are 2 exceptions though: One of the kneeling poses is just terrible. Simply unusable since there is no way to fit him straight onto a base. His one leg looks like its broken.
And the machine gunner with the ammo belts around his neck. Not as bad as the kneeling body but still pretty bad.

The weapons are ok, but i didn't use them because the bulk of my army is Warlord and so i wanted them to fit in. Warlords weapons are bigger and more "heroic".

Would i recommend the set? Maybe. At a price as low as $6 sure.
At regular price for someone beginning a german army? No.
At regular (15€ for a box) price for someone with already a ton of Warlord Plastics (and therefore lots of bits to convert some or all)? Sure.

Pic related. I like how they turned out.
(btw the guy with the mp-40 has an already fixed gap on his shoulder but besides that the fit was pretty good, some of the heads need a cut to make the neck joint flat, others fitted without an issue)

I have a fondness for TW :Shogun 2 . What game should I look at if I want a game in that time frame?

>Would i recommend the set?
>maybe
>no

Well then obviously you're just a bad modeler.

Perhaps Impetus or even DBM for large battles, Ronin for skirmish stuff.

Thanks, what is ronin? I googled it and nothing. A&E up, well, nothing tg.

I'll second Impetus, that's pretty decent.

Also maybe Banzai Age of the Country at War for a more specific system. It's not a very typical wargame, does some interesting things with how army building and commands work. Lots of randomisation if you want to use it.

And Samurai Battles (command & colors) is also a good go-to for an easy to get into (if less easy to get hold of) but still pretty solid wargame in a box.

Try googling "Osprey Ronin wargame". You should be able to find a copy of the rules in our Medieval/Games folder.

Mate, you stuck to two scales. Do you have any idea how much of an achievement that is? Hell, that's only really two broad periods.

funny you should mention shipboard gaming. We had a few AH titles-could fit those on occasion(diplomacy was a popular one) but the most popular games we had onboard (late 80s early 90s) was micro armor. We could keep our entire force in a cigar box and we used colored cut felt as terrain. It was ghetto but it worked real well.

man, I know it's skiffy, but ogre/gev is basically a damn near perfect wargame.

its a classic. I have the new deluxe edition. Its impressive. The funny thing is its based on some of Jim Dunnigans works and uses the same CRT that PB/PL/AIW uses.

What's that maze-looking thingy to the left of the blueprint?

We played Diplomacy too. Damn near perfect for shipboard because you didn't need to leave it setup somewhere. We'd haggle and lie with each other for a couple days, submit our orders to the "ref", read the results, then wash, rinse, repeat. Strat-O-Matic baseball got a lot of play for the same reason(s).

The original Axis&Allies got a lot of play too and was quickly modified in various ways. AH's Jutland "chits as minis" was played often too.

Small games and short play times ruled though. Stuff like Microgames, SPI's zips & folios, GDW's 120 Series, and the like. GDW had a Poltava game I must have played 50 times.

plastic trays to hold the models once they are put together.

That's a hefty damn box there. All them sexy hex mapsheets that could double for Battletech too. I'm afraid to ask how much it retails for.

>What's that maze-looking thingy to the left of the blueprint?

Unit trays.

I used Ogre/GEV to teach my 6yo nephew addition, ratios, etc. He loved it and I loved the phrase he came up with for the "Defender automatically eliminated" 5:1 attacks:

Automatic Toast.

IF you can find it in retail anywhere your looking at $100+. Think I paid $130 for mine. and yeah..could EASILY double as Battle Tech boards.

Diplomacy. making people lose friends since 1957! We didnt do much hex and chit in my time im afraid. The Fleet series from VG series got a lot of play though, most everyone wanted to do D&D and minis games. MBT was big with the marine detachment on board. The original Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine/Epic was big as well with it being 6mm.

There were a couple officers on my first boat that I played ASL with. we played a few times in the ships library (I was on a troop transport-big ship) until the XO put the kibosh on it. the whole no fraternization between enlisted and officer.

>I'm afraid to ask how much it retails for.

They had a KS for it. I think retail was well over $100.

They recently started a KS for a less insane, "map & chit", version.

Also there's Pocket OGRE which is like $5.

CGN for me. We were lucky, our division office was one deck below our berthing so it basically became a lounge after work hours. Of course, six and six watch rotation in engineering didn't leave a lot of time for gaming.

VG's Fleet series saw some play aboard, too time intensive though. I played Harpoon several times. The XO, WEPO, etc. supposedly played it routinely but there was that whole ossifer vs blueshirt scum thing going on.

Much later in my NG battery, we played the shit out of ASL from the Major on down to the lowliest shell jerker. Socially, the Navy is fucking retarded.

>want to get into Bolt Action
>Romanians look cool, I'd like to play those guys
>Warlord doesn't even produce a single Romanian model
>can only find two places to get them, and the models on offer don't look all that great

Is it worth the heartache or should I just get Germans or Murricans?

Do you like playing with backstabbers? Because you'd do well with Romanians.

Austin class troop transport then went on to 2 different FFGs.

yeah the Navy is kinda fucked in that regard. Had a buddy that was an E-6. Even crashed out at his place quite often. He made E-7 and put the chief khakis on and all of a sudden were not supposed to be friends anymore. yeah screw that.

Hey, how can I submit edits for the miniatures list? You're missing loads of manufacturers

That list is literally five years out of date user, so go ahead and write up whatever edits you can

I know they aren't Romanians, but I know a guy who makes miniatures of the Dutch army, which could (maybe?) serve as Romanians if painted brown

Should work well enough.

And I totally forgot to mention it, the company is called May 40 Miniatures,

They look about right, yeah. Cool.

Anyone got experience with 3mm Napoleonics?

I got a couple of packs to test the waters, and having painted a strip of Bavarians and 1 whole 3mm Brit im now feeling conflicted.

I tried testing blackpowder with card chits and put some old relive waterloo pre-painted 25mm-ish on the chits to brighten things up … but that actually looked pretty neat toy soldier style.

So now im stuck between 3mm low-ratio or maybe trying 28mm high-ratio

6, 10, 15mm don't really appeal. At that level i'd want to paint all the details properly (i paint a lot of 6mm scifi). 3mm means i can't do that, saves me from myself, and at 28mm it's normal/easy to do full detail.

Got my (late) submissions.
USS Walker, USS Mahan, and IJN Amagi from the Destroyermen series (pre-shenanigans and battle damage). Admittedly straddles the line between historical and /awg/ territory, but it's something I had wanted to do at some point anyway, and I figured it'd be close enough. If community project archive user doesn't think it's quite historical enough to add, that's understandable. No biggie.

Amagi had a bit more line-ness to her, and it's evident close up (and in the pictures some) but at arms length it isn't. Still gonna bother me though. This was my first battlewagon sized WSF piece, and I've learned that I'm gonna have to go after those flat decks harder when I do my Dunkerque.

I have done some..

Quite liked them all based up but it was still quite a lot of work. I think I am leaning more towards 10mm.

Where'd you get the minis?