Is it possible that the Elder Gods have a bad reputation because Lovecraft was a gigantic fucking racist?

Is it possible that the Elder Gods have a bad reputation because Lovecraft was a gigantic fucking racist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ImCKuJx4PpQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, it's because he was an astronomer and was amazed by the insignificance of humans in the universal scheme of things.

Lovecraft's style of horror works because of his racism. It was all about fear of the unknown. And yes, I'm taking OP's bait.

>abloboo we small
What a weak willed individual.

What do you mean the "Elder Gods have a bad reputation"? You mean in the CoC RPG universe? Or do you mean IRL, where only plebs and butthurt kneejerkers who didn't take the time to read about Lovecraft's life hate his work?

I hate his work because his prose is absolutely, indefensibly goddamn horrible.
Everyone does Lovecraft better than Lovecraft. An outstanding muse, an abysmal writer. Oh yeah and pretty fucking racist.

You fall under the category of "pleb".
No one's going to take this bait by the way, why even bother?

N is for niggerman

Pretty sure you just did, kiddo

Nope, since I already mentioned plebs in my first post. Taking the bait would be actually taking your opinion seriously and writing a rebuttal to it.
Lurk more my lad.

>damage control

Nice try kiddo.

"y dose lovecraft use so many words per sentence? mah brain hurts!"

I don't read very often but i thought that shdow over inssmouth was stellar, gave a very nice clear picture of an interesting scenario with a spooky pay off at the end.

By Jove, you've cracked the unsolvable case!

Quickly, proceed straight to tumblr and repost this. Hurry now, before the secret Drumpf boogeymen get you!

Why should the Eldritch gods care about a bunch of microbes? Do you care about the microbes that your body kills every day?

No, but some medical people do, i mean we still study irrelevant shit, it wouldn't be suprising that a god would.

There are certain interesting similarities between Lovecraft's writings and pre-Judaic Semitic religions, notably the Canaanite one (Molech, Hadad, El, etc). Considering that Lovecraft's first wife was a Ukrainian Jewess (and Eastern Jewish sects likewise include tons of what you could call "references" to that particular spot of their history), it would not seem far-fetched to assume that Lovecraft was figuratively channelling the Old Gods - or, more precisely, their worshippers - in letting what he learned influence his writing. This is really stuff one should research on one's own, however, so I'll leave it at this.

>comparing yourself to a god
I'm almost a little sad that the irony is completely lost on you, user.

It is ok to be amazed by the vastness of the universe.

You sound like the kind of person that would refuse to read about the greek gods and their mythology just because there's rape in them.

no, people love racism:^)

he's been calling you out

You are one of the most pathetic people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting.

Not only was everyone a racist in 1920
Not ONLY does it literally not mean that you can't enjoy or at least attempt to enjoy his work
NOT ONLY those two things but it literally doesn't matter. People can be as racist as they want. You are no different from them in judging them for their racism.

And I suppose you're the embodiment of Nietzsche's ubermensch, are you?

Not really. He isn't racist towards Elder Things, Yithians, and Ghouls.

>it's "consider this pale blue dot" episode on Lovecraft Talkshow, where humanity's significance as a species is demeaned
Sorry, guys, but my significance in the universe at least equals that of Zaphod Beeblebrox.

how topical

also love all the people running to accuse of SJW sensibilities without a word addressing the fact that Lovecraft's work was probably used to line the inside of Prince's coffin, it was so fucking purple

>You are no different from them in judging them for their racism.

This is the most pathetic, childish statement I've ever read. So we're not allowed to judge people for any bad behaviour, now, because then we'll be "just as bad"?

Fuck you. Grow up.

Even if I'm not, I at least don't gey scared by BIG NUMBERS

t. Cries after he masturbates

When did Veeky Forums become Tumblr? We literally got a guy spamming Twitter tier pics of screen caps from comic books

Yeah, you just get scared by approaching women irl

When did Veeky Forums become Imgur? We literally got a guy spamming Twitter tier pics of screen caps from 80s movies

... as insignificant as everyone else unless people lie to you sufficiently and cause you to believe otherwise?

A curious enough person would, it's why we know that there ARE microbes today.

The 80s are cool though, Tumblr on the other hand is not

Fr*ck yeah!

My God you sound like a tremendous faggot

How was women's studies class today, fag? Got some Steven Universe fan fiction to write later? Gonna stop by leddit after a little break and do some virtue signalling? Huh? Fag?

I'd say humans are a bit higher up on the scale than microbes are to humans

We're more like insects or rodents compared to the Elder Gods. Hell, canonically a human driving a boat managed to defeat (momentarily) Cthulhu in the short story

youtube.com/watch?v=ImCKuJx4PpQ

Cthulhu, whose dreams are enough to drive people into madness and creating cults to worship him, is not an elder god. He's just a high priest in their cult. Compared to elder gods, HE might as well be an insect.

Ha, you underestimate me! I don't need people to lie to me to be important - I can lie to myself just fine!

Lol watchout ive noticed suspiciously tumblr posters on every board and they are false reporting.

I'm not even political but these far left types are getting really fucking annoying like their far right counterparts

t. Cries after he sees a number he can't count with his fingers

>2017
>dating
This is why ypu are such a pleb that Lovecraft level """ horror""" affects your feeble mind.

post the whole fucking alphabet you fuck instead of ranting about trivial shit

You can go to different websites on different tabs in your browser? MUST BE AN SJW CONSPIRACY TO TAKE AWAY MY SAFESPACE!

>I must convert every site to my favourite even if it means what's great about the other site

But why?

There is, in fact, a singular entity that has placed its abominable attention on us

>so triggered can't complete sentence

But why?

crying now tbhwu

Calm downtumblr

O IS FOR OLD ONE!

Tea for the sun.
Wine for the women who made the rain come.

>Is it possible that the Elder Gods have a bad reputation because Lovecraft was a gigantic fucking racist?
Lovecraft was not racist against the Elder Gods. All the things he said they were, they are.
He was a race traitor against humanity because he let their existence beat him down and spread the lie that humanity is insignificant, when it is only believing the lie that makes it so.

Is it possible that OP has a bad reputation becasue he is a gigantic fucking faggot?

DAE any mention of race ==== slander against teh best president evar

Dude, Lovecraft's prose IS terrible.

>I called you out, that means I won!

What if I call you out for being a cuck? What then?

The punchline is that end-of-his-life Lovecraft would have been labeled a FUCKING COMMIE REEEE by the right, while being hated by the most of the left as he still hadn't let go of racism especially against black people (those people would also remain strangely silent about his hate of capitalism and vision of a society in which wealth and labor are divided fairly, politics are transparent and every human primarily aims to improve themselves through the arts and philosophy).

Cthulhu is both an elder god and the great priest, and his rank has nothing to do with the cults that humans create around the Old Ones.
What people are usually incapable of understanding when reading The Call of Cthulhu is the fact that powerlevel autism didn't exist in Lovecraft's time. The Old Ones are incomprehensible by any normal mind, but they're still beings and are subject to certain limitations, which are simple bumps on the road for them at the end of the day. Cthulhu being passed through by a boat doesn't indicate a lack of power, it simply means that Lovecraft wasn't a retard and aimed at writing aliens that were so advanced in all kinds of ways that they can act like gods compared to humans, instead of autism about powerlevels and omnipotence.
Also, it's entirely possible that the being that appeared in The Call was just a Star-spawn. There's no proof whatsoever about the identity of that being, the same way that there's no proof that any cult activity actually has any effect on or significance for the Old Ones.

>Dumb libruls only care about idpol and ignore muh class issues

I really hate this true meme.

But that's an Elder Thing. Are they ever called Old Ones? I know Great Old Ones are the beings/gods spawned by the Outer Gods, but Lovecraft and the other authors who contributed to the Mythos aren't always consistent.

The way Lovecraft used it, "Old Ones" is an umbrella term. It was never meant to classify this or that type of beings accurately. IIRC, in Mountains the Elder Things are called Old Ones as well. In The Call of Cthulhu, he talks about Great Old Ones, naming only Cthulhu among them (and simply 'Old Ones' as well? Can't remember). In The Dunwich Horror, the term seems to indicate a separate group of beings (and Cthulhu is their "cousin").

This is modern entertainment! Almost woke up people laughing.
*slowclap*

But isn't this singular entity technically a few thousand entities?

Have you ever heard of a concept called "Death of the Author"?

It's an idea in literary criticism that it doesn't really matter what the author intended in his work -- what matters is what the reader extracts from the work.

There's an intuitive tendency to say "no, that's wrong, authorial intent is important" -- but it actually isn't. Whatever meaning you pull from a work is the meaning you pull from the work. You will probably never meet the author. They never intended to encode some special message just for you, because they have no idea who you are. The act of writing and the act of reading are entirely separated from one another, except by the fact that the reader has read what the writer has written.

Lovecraft's racism really doesn't matter. It's not even that big an influence on most of his work -- existential nihilism is. "The Street" and "The Horror at Red Hook" are the only works containing explicitly racist sentiments or portrayals. "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn" are the only stories that really deal with tainted ancestry/miscegenation. And of course everyone brings up the cat's name in "The Rats in the Walls". But you have the entire rest of his body of work that ignores these themes almost entirely.

Lovecraft is dead. He will remain dead. There's nothing to you can do to reward or punish him. Giving a shit about his racism only means punishing yourself by devoting all that mental capacity to disapproving of him.